[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Oh! I see you manually had to -add- the KSC biomes rather than manually filtering them.

In ScienceContext.cs at line 439:

ScienceInstance S = new ScienceInstance( experiment, new Situation( _bodyList[ _homeWorld ], ExperimentSituations.SrfLanded, _kscBiome, _kscBiomes[ x ] ), this );

This seems to populate the KSC minibiomes in the situation list. It's in a set of if statements from 428 to 477

I should be able to copy the lines between 428 and 477, put the copy in 478 to 527 (pushing the rest of the code down), and in the new copy change every SrfLanded to FlyingLow , to populate the science checklist for flying over KSC's minibiomes, right?

Thx for your patience. :)

15 hours ago, Moskit said:

@Z-Key Aerospace Thanks for updating this mod to KSP 1.3.0! :D

Do you plan maybe to prepare release with localizations files in future?

That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

My plans for the future are

• Finishing the settings on the Here&Now window.  Including 3 buttons.

Then adding

• Body information window.  Atmosphere height, "Space High" height, etc
  • Maybe also vehicle information window.  There was a mod called something catchy like "Resource Info in Tracking View."  Could easily include science info too.
  • Looking for splashed biomes with code, maybe having a map so you can find them.  Only add possible situations to the checklist window.

I'm happy to accept code provided you don't re-factor everything in sight.  (Although that may be what is needed in this case!)

On 5/5/2015 at 8:32 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Features

• Should be compatible with any science-generating mods

Having a problem with this point, using some RoverDude USI mods that add science parts.  The experiments (for instance Meteorological Survey Package, Materials Study Mini-Lab, Engineering Test Bay etc) show up in the complete list of available experiments.  They don't show up in the Here and Now window.

KSP 1.2.2, running Galileo's Planet Pack 1.2.2

Edited by fourfa

8 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Having a problem with this point, using some RoverDude USI mods that add science parts.  The experiments (for instance Meteorological Survey Package, Materials Study Mini-Lab, Engineering Test Bay etc) show up in the complete list of available experiments.  They don't show up in the Here and Now window.

KSP 1.2.2, running Galileo's Planet Pack 1.2.2

I've used the four sounding rocket experiment modules in my own GPP 1.2.2 game with X-science and they showed up in here and now for me. Note that the science.cfg file in the x-science folder configures them to be restricted to NeedsHomeWorld (Gael) only and they are run-once experiments (like mystery goo).

Roger on run-once, that's not a problem

NeedsHomeWorld is news to me.  If I run them manually around Gael's moons, they generate science, the science points show up in my counter, and the experiments are listed in the Science Archives after.  They don't show up in Here and Now but operate otherwise normally.  I now realize they do show up in Here and Now when flying on Gael.  

How is this supposed to work?

This is awkward.

I'm currently running [X] Science v5.6 on KSP 1.2.2, and I keep seeing references here of a "Here and Now" feature/window but I have yet to find it!

I fly my rockets with available science experiments and the main [X] Science window open all the time, but whenever a new experiment is available for research nothing happens. Where is this mysterious feature I would love to use?

On 31/05/2017 at 9:55 PM, Nelien said:

This is awkward.

I'm currently running [X] Science v5.6 on KSP 1.2.2, and I keep seeing references here of a "Here and Now" feature/window but I have yet to find it!

I fly my rockets with available science experiments and the main [X] Science window open all the time, but whenever a new experiment is available for research nothing happens. Where is this mysterious feature I would love to use?

The Here and Now icon looks like a google map pin.  If you have Blizzy's toolbar then check that the icon is added to a toolbar.

The sounding rockets were restricted to Kerbin after discussions on this thread.  They are sounding rockets after all.  Just remove the section from science.cfg if you want.

57 minutes ago, dezgard said:

The game keeps freezing for a second then going again, tried vanilla with just this mod not sure why it's doing it.

I get brief freezes when I open the [x] window or the "Here and Now" window, presumably while it looks at all the science to update the list of what's available.  The rest of the time it's OK, though.

Hello,

Is there a setting in X Science to prevent the Here&Now window from spamming me when I have goo/materials? In both of the following cases: When I have already run all instances of the experiment on the current vessel*, and when I have already collected that experiment once or twice and I already have 70/90% of the possible science**.

* I am at work now so I cannot be really sure, but I think when I have a Crew Report in my capsule, it will not ping me for further Crew Reports. Or not? I am not sure.

** I also feel like I remember seeing a setting for "percent complete", as in if you have x% of the possible science points for an experiment X Science will assume it complete.

Furthermore, a few posts up, @Aelfhe1m mentions something like: "run-once experiments (like mystery goo)" What does this mean? Is this the feature that I am looking for?

3 hours ago, canisin said:

Furthermore, a few posts up, @Aelfhe1m mentions something like: "run-once experiments (like mystery goo)" What does this mean? Is this the feature that I am looking for?

I was referring to the greyed-out after use buttons - so the same behaviour you're describing here.

I agree it would be useful to have some sort of option to not interrupt time-warp if there are no runable experiments available (possibly disabled if there's a scientist on board who could reset them?)

The percent complete might be memories of the old Science Alert mod that had that feature. Alternatively AutomatedScienceSampler has a configurable threshold value.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

I felt curious and took a look at the code :D

I present the following change request: @Z-Key Aerospace

In file StatusWindow.cs, line 327,

replace

if( _filter.TotalCount - _filter.CompleteCount > 0 )

with

if (_filter.DisplayScienceInstances.Any(x => CanRunExperiment(x)))

This will mean that warp will be stopped if there are runnable experiments, rather than incomplete experiments! If I had some better github knowledge I would rather put this up as a pull request, but I don't :( Please excuse me for cluttering the forum like this.

14 hours ago, dezgard said:

The game keeps freezing for a second then going again, tried vanilla with just this mod not sure why it's doing it.

I have the same issue.

When either of the menu windows of this mod is open the game freezes for a second every time it checks for the experiments and every time it changes (after doing an experiment).

On 05/06/2017 at 7:02 AM, dezgard said:

On 05/06/2017 at 8:06 AM, Wyzard said:

I get brief freezes when I open the [x] window or the "Here and Now" window, presumably while it looks at all the science to update the list of what's available.  The rest of the time it's OK, though.

If you don't have either window open no checks should take place.

I generally run without any science mods, just the stock experiments, and I don't really get any slow down on an Intel i3.

• How many experiments have you unlocked?
  • How would you describe your total launched part count?
  • What sort of box are you running on?
  • How many bodies have you visited?
  • Do you have any science mods (DMagic) or non stock bodies (Kopernicus) or just a massive number of parts?

Try turning off the debris check and the "All" filter button.  That may help.

• 9 experiments unlocked, from stock, DMagic, and RoverDude's sounding rockets.
  • Tracking station is empty: no debris or vessels in-flight, besides whatever my current mission is.
  • Running 64-bit Linux KSP on a quad-core 3.3GHz Sandy Bridge i5 with 12GB of RAM.
  • Only done Mun flybys so far.
  • No science mods besides DMagic Orbital Science and Sounding Rockets, but a bunch of non-science parts from other mods (mainly KW Rocketry, MKS, and most of RoverDude's other mods).  Not a huge number of parts, though.

My post wasn't really meant as a complaint or bug report, though — I was just replying to @dezgard to provide some info to compare against.  This mod's science windows are useful enough that I don't mind a little stutter when I'm using them, and I don't have any problems when the science windows are closed.

8 hours ago, Wyzard said:
  • 9 experiments unlocked, from stock, DMagic, and RoverDude's sounding rockets.
  • Tracking station is empty: no debris or vessels in-flight, besides whatever my current mission is.
  • Running 64-bit Linux KSP on a quad-core 3.3GHz Sandy Bridge i5 with 12GB of RAM.
  • Only done Mun flybys so far.
  • No science mods besides DMagic Orbital Science and Sounding Rockets, but a bunch of non-science parts from other mods (mainly KW Rocketry, MKS, and most of RoverDude's other mods).  Not a huge number of parts, though.

My post wasn't really meant as a complaint or bug report, though — I was just replying to @dezgard to provide some info to compare against.  This mod's science windows are useful enough that I don't mind a little stutter when I'm using them, and I don't have any problems when the science windows are closed.

Debug window spams reference of an object or something taking out the mod stops the stuttering I run heavy science mods (i like experimenting).

Not a huge issue as closing he windows stops it just thought i'd post it here in case people are getting driven mad trying to find out why there game keeps stuttering.

great mod btw I never leave home without it!

i5 quad

32gb ram dual channel

SSD 500gb

64bit ksp

Windows 7

Hey Z-Key, thanks for making this mod and keeping it up to date, I haven't played KSP in years and I was trying to find reasons to play it again. I was considering creating my first mod about exploration when I found out about yours, which pretty much does what I had in mind.

The only problem I have is that I'm kind of stuck now with the idea I had. I wanted to both give a reason for the players to bring a Kerbal on every celestial bodies, and more importantly, I wanted to take the opportunity to give the players a reason to use satellites by making it mandatory for them to scan the celestial body that they want to explore. Only by doing so, they would access the list of X out of Y experiments/reports available with their respective locations.

Since you have some experience in modding, would you say that would be hard to mod ? Or even impossible for some reason ?

Two Part Question: 

I am confused about how the [x] Science! checklist shows experiments. It doesn't seem like [x] Science shows available science for all experiments for all possible scenarios. 

For example, I am able to see science available for "Engineering Experiments" (a USI science part) on or around the Kerbin, but not around the Mun (and there is science available around the Mun with this particular part).

On the contrary I am able to see science available around the Mun with an experiment like the Mystery Goo.

The point is that it seems inconsistent with what bodies [x] science displays available experiments. It's not showing all experiments for all possible scenarios. 

Also, [x] Science here and now is not offering the experiments that are mods (like the USI Science parts) Aeronomy Sensor, Engineering Test Bay, Materials Study, Meteorological  Survey Package. Here's a screenshot for example: 

3ayDZjv.png

Notice in the above example that science for the Meteorological Survey Package is available around Duna, but it is not displayed in the [x] science! Here and Now window, nor is it displayed in the [x] science checklist.  

Edited by Voodoo8648

13 hours ago, Nhaga said:

Hey Z-Key, thanks for making this mod and keeping it up to date, I haven't played KSP in years and I was trying to find reasons to play it again. I was considering creating my first mod about exploration when I found out about yours, which pretty much does what I had in mind.

The only problem I have is that I'm kind of stuck now with the idea I had. I wanted to both give a reason for the players to bring a Kerbal on every celestial bodies, and more importantly, I wanted to take the opportunity to give the players a reason to use satellites by making it mandatory for them to scan the celestial body that they want to explore. Only by doing so, they would access the list of X out of Y experiments/reports available with their respective locations.

Since you have some experience in modding, would you say that would be hard to mod ? Or even impossible for some reason ?

Sounds like SCANsat to me.

Have you tried that one?  Pretty sure there is beta version for KSP1.3.0.  It will install from CKAN if you are running KSP1.2.2

Any how, I love SCANsat.  Bring a load of electricity and a good transmitter.  If you are going past Duna take nukes, not solar panels; solar panels don't work so well, further out.

I frequently use SCANsat before I risk sending actual Kerbals.  Just seems the right thing to do, and you can use the map to pick your landing spot.

Once you have your map finished, leave the satellite in orbit to extend your communications network.

Mining mods added a lot to the game for me gave me a reason land and setup mining bases for rare fuel so i can visit other systems.

I long for something that really complements career mode more.

Edited by dezgard

8 hours ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Sounds like SCANsat to me.

Have you tried that one?  Pretty sure there is beta version for KSP1.3.0.  It will install from CKAN if you are running KSP1.2.2

Any how, I love SCANsat.  Bring a load of electricity and a good transmitter.  If you are going past Duna take nukes, not solar panels; solar panels don't work so well, further out.

I frequently use SCANsat before I risk sending actual Kerbals.  Just seems the right thing to do, and you can use the map to pick your landing spot.

Once you have your map finished, leave the satellite in orbit to extend your communications network.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, I forgot about ScanSat, I never used it but I had it on a list of mods that I wanted to keep an eye on. I guess I took it out of the list when ores were added by squad.
So i just tried it for an hour, very very cool mod but I didn't see a way to list experiments and science to gather. Just a lot of options to make cool maps, mostly to locate ressources.

So assuming that I didn't miss anything, I though it could make sense to use your mod to have the list of things to do and places to visit and actually still need to deploy satellites and scan celestial bodies via ScanSat to know where the biomes are, instead of trying to find them blindly.

Would all of this make sense ?

On 6/7/2017 at 6:57 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

If you don't have either window open no checks should take place.

I generally run without any science mods, just the stock experiments, and I don't really get any slow down on an Intel i3.

• How many experiments have you unlocked?
  • How would you describe your total launched part count?
  • What sort of box are you running on?
  • How many bodies have you visited?
  • Do you have any science mods (DMagic) or non stock bodies (Kopernicus) or just a massive number of parts?

Try turning off the debris check and the "All" filter button.  That may help.

Hey there. Just thought I'd chime in on this.

Tried KSP 1.3 with only this mod and KSP-AVC installed, and I get small stutters, usually when the UI updates. For example, during transmission of science or changing biomes.

Have thermometer, presure, mystery goo and command pod (crew report and EVA) on board. Part count is 20, as I have multiple goo and batteries on board.

Currently running i7-7700, 16G ram, HD 7870.

This is on first first ever, as I only set this game up to determine which mods are causing my stutter, so not visited any bodies other than Kerbin

Check debris is not enabled.

Originally I had a game with quite a few mods and the stutter was quite bad, so my aim is to determine which mods are contributing, and to help reduce the problem. Let me know if there is anything I can provide to help. Here's a log file from my 1.3 game with only this and KSP_AVC installed. Basically started a new career game, unlocked a few of techs, built a ship and launched to, doing science along the way. It seems the stutter is mostly when transmitting as the status text is scrolling on the screen, though that could just be coincidence.

Hope this is useful to someone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.