[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

The window displays for about 10 seconds, then disappears. I checked settings to see if there was something to set. No joy. I want the window to stay open until I close it. Also pops-up in every scene, even when I haven't clicked it to open.

Removing what would have been a nice mod. Going back to LibraryScience.

Edited by Apollo13

I've have an outstanding pull request on CKAN for the past two days. They need to accept it, I don't think I can do anything but wait for them. There are 8 outstanding requests (not just mine, I mean) those guys must be busy at the moment. I'm sure they will get around to it. You can install it yourself or wait for the CKAN guys to accept my merge.

CKAN seems to have woken up and pressed the button. Enjoy!

Awesome, Thanks!

Update:

I have updated the previous version (from the original author) to the new one (by you) via ckan. Everything is working as expected!

The window displays for about 10 seconds, then disappears. I checked settings to see if there was something to set. No joy. I want the window to stay open until I close it. Also pops-up in every scene, even when I haven't clicked it to open.

Removing what would have been a nice mod. Going back to LibraryScience.

If you want it fixed, you'll have to give me a bit more information.

I would like a log file. Also try it with an otherwise stock installation.

I'm guessing that it is having a fight with another mod. What else are you running?

There is a science related mod called "Science Revisited Revisited" that makes some nice changes to the science for KSP... Just wondering if your mod understands these changes and will display correctly.

I'm running SRR with [x] Science!. Works just great.

A bit of feedback, in case it's useful: I really like this mod, but it takes up a lot of unnecessary screen space, and using the minimize mode (I can't remember what it's called) makes the text too small.

Love the mod, it really is auto-pilot for science, something much needed in the game.

The compact mode is nice, but could we click and drag the little 'uncompact' arrow button to resize the window?

I concur. Usually, I only use this in-flight, and only display the available experiments, which means much of the time there is a lot of blank space on its screen. A way to resize it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Small request: could you put the mod's version number and/or last update date in the thread title?

"Follow" it here and click the "changelog" tab

(create an account to see the follow button, then you'll be notified thru email of updates)

or use CKAN to install your mods.... this way you'll always be up to date :D

8jIwTEl.jpg?1

Edited by iDisOrder

I like AVC better then CKAN. Simple and works and don't need yet another language installed or rely on 3rd party to update when the mod is updated. have to have Java because so much uses it and have to have .net because, well ms says so, think I had to put pearl or one of those in once because a program didn't include the parts needed to make it self contained.

Hm is "Landed at Kerbin's Water" a valid place? I can get "splashed down" but not landed. Similarly, I can't get the splashed down at Kerbin's grassland/whatever. Should those be removed from the checklist?

Hm is "Landed at Kerbin's Water" a valid place? I can get "splashed down" but not landed. Similarly, I can't get the splashed down at Kerbin's grassland/whatever. Should those be removed from the checklist?

They are valid. Landed at Kerbin's Water can be done by having a barge of some sort (ie. decouple the bottom part of your vessel, and the top part is "landed" on the bottom one). There's also various archipelagos where you can get landed. Same thing for grasslands - lots of lakes and rivers.

And if you're interested, my Field Research contract pack (link in sig) has contracts that help find those "rare" combinations by providing contracts with waypoints for them.

I haven't found any islands where you can get "landed at Kerbin's water" since 0.25. Let me know if you have found one, I'm always interested.

I've always figured the right way is to make some sort of aircraft carrier. A plane with really big wings (to splash-down) and a separate VTOL craft (to land on it) would do the trick.

There is a cheat-ish way of getting it. You splash-down a craft with 2 cockpits, then EVA one pilot, then switch back to the craft. KSP does't care which one is on top - they are both landed. The EVA'd pilot is "landed at Kerbin's water" but so is the entire craft. As long as they are in contact they are _BOTH_ "landed at Kerbin's water." By flipping between the two you can cover all science in one go.

You can also (gently) crash two splashed-down craft into each other. They just need to be in contact to get "landed at Kerbin's water."

"Field Research" is now in my GameData dir, I'll give it a go. I notice the "Field Research" OP has a link to "[x] Science!", thanks nightingale, have some reputation.

I used CKAN to install "Field Research!" I also have KSP-AVC installed, which I like, but it just doesn't seem to be trendy any more does it?

Oh, I have also changed the thread title. Hope you approve.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

With Each lab being able to use date from the same location, could we get a usage reference option, where we could select a lab by the craft name from a list and it will show what data can still be used by that lab. The list would be basicly, a list of any craft with a lab and one entry for the science center which is what it ref now.

I'm hoping to have a new version out soon.

So far I have made the following changes...

• On-board science is an indexed list for speed. Available science is an indexed list for speed. (On-board science is a list of science-containing-parts on launched vessels. Available science is CrewReports, EvaReports, SurfaceSamples + science parts purchased in the R+D Lab. I've optimised both lists for look-ups) [x] Science! is now blazingly fast and (fingers crossed) just doesn't slow down.
  • Building upgrades, part purchases, science unlocking do a full science rescan. KSC baby-biomes will appear in the list correctly. Surface-Sample is correctly handled. [x] Science handles career mode correctly.

Concerning EVA Reports

EVA reports are always available. I think this is correct.

With a not-upgraded AstroCenter Kerbals can only EVA on Kerbin. But they can still do EVA Reports. They can do EVA Reports anywhere. They just need to get there. So...

1. EVA on Kerbin.
  2. Enter a cargo bay.
  3. Fly to Mun.
  4. Leave cargo bay.
  5. Do Eva Report
  6. Profit!

I did put in code for suppressing EVA Reports for AstroCenter level 0 but I took it out 'cos EVA is limited to Kerbin but EVA Reports aren't.

More stuff in next version

Don't know what else will be in v4.5 but I may get around to...

• Window keeps getting wider as the scroll bar appears and disappears.
  • Store window visibility for each scene
  • Window remains visible in main-menu scene
  • Total in top-left doesn't update after vehicle recovery
  • No one has asked for it but I would like to have a "Lab Lander" mode. Science would be considered "complete" with a green bar - even if it hasn't been recovered to KSC. The top-left total and "hide completed" setting would act accordingly. The reason is that when I have a lab-lander containing loads of science I know I need to recover it. What I want from [x] Science is to find what is left to discover. That would be easier with all the 100%-researched stuff hidden.
  • I'd like to add lab-lander mode as a setting, also a setting to look for science stored in debris.

Didn't get a chance to do any more proper coding. Ripped out the debugging and called it a release. Figured if I didn't do it soon it will just sit there.

V4.5 is Speed increase + Handles building upgrades in career mode.

KSC baby biomes appear and disappear from the list as you upgrade buildings. Surface samples appear once the lab is upgraded.

Before you ask, I expect it will hit CKAN once they get around to it. I have submitted it.

Otherwise just get it here http://themoose.co.uk/ksp/x-science-v4.5.zip

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace
Added link

While using Nightingale's Contract Pack: Field Research, I noticed a problem.

His Pack was giving me a contract to use an experiment from the "Solar Science" Mod in Kerbal Orbit. Bit that mod requires the two experiment it has to be conducted in Solar Orbit.

I have "Solar Science" mod installed. and I am being asked to preform the "HMI Doppler Images" experiment in high Kerbin Orbit. (High is space above Kerbin)

However this experiment is only supposed to be used in Solar Orbit (Kerbol High and Low)

On the other Hand BOTH "Science Alert", and "[X] Science" Mods indicate its available for completion in orbit around every celestial body. So I suspect its a "Solar Science" mod bug.

from my amaturish look at the codes, I dont see a way to limit the experiment to only around the sun, and the mod uses a later check if its used anywhere besides the sun to say "Can only be used around the sun"

Nightingale was apparently able to come up with a way for his mod to limit the experiments to only around the Sun for the contract pack, You might want to check with him to see if his methods will also work with [X] Science to prevent it from showing experiments that cant be completed cause the mod they come from only allows them to be completed around certain bodies.

Edited by BlackHat

Nightingale was apparently able to come up with a way for his mod to limit the experiments to only around the Sun for the contract pack, You might want to check with him to see if his methods will also work with [X] Science to prevent it from showing experiments that cant be completed cause the mod they come from only allows them to be completed around certain bodies.

Note though that "came up with a way" really means "hand-coded it in config files and built a load process". If you're interested, the code is here, and the config files here, but I don't think it would directly be all that useful for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.