Planetes - 2D Space Exploration Game

Exclipse

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! New devblog is up! It goes over the begining of my process creating an AI that can pilot ships in Planetes.

http://www.davidtdesign.com/blog/planetes-devblog-4-ai

Also I edited my post just before this one with an updated video showing the character controller.

8710569_orig.gif

Edited by Exclipse

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on adding liquids to the game among other things. Here is a splash down showing the very much work in progress liquid as water.

AcDoSdg.gif

oS5ntLs.gif

Edited by Exclipse

• 1 month later...

Hey Just a quick post showing off some of the work in progress art for some new planets coming to Planetes!

Can you imagine or take a guess at what their surfaces might be like, or what real life planets they are an analog of?

MJcQLGV.jpg

B3PuDeU.png

Edited by Exclipse

5 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Hi, i have been taking a look at your games and i have some issues... on the Asteroid Inatiative , when i hold the engine button it sometimes activates the engines on the second stage too, and then my rocket explodes. Also, when will we have a download for Planetes? Thanks! 

So in regards to both stages of engines activating in AI. Staging was never really implemented in AI, so when you turn on the engines, it is turning on all the engines and the flames from the engines will blow up stuff that they burn, you can click engines to turn them on and off though, that might solve your problem.

Planetes already has a download available, there is a link for the pc and Mac version on the first page of this thread. I do not recommend trying it just yet as it was a very early demo. I plan to put up a new download in a week or two that should be much better.

Thanks for your interest in the game!

Your game is really cool! I like it. A few part suggestions: Centrifuges, Habitats, and more command modules. For example, add some high-visibilty ones, some industrial super-safe ones...... etc. I know game developing is hard, so i don't have much to say.  I noticed a bug: sometimes when i try to click and drag a part, it just appears to the side and i cannot move it.  One last thing: where did you learn game developing? I have tried with Unity and it's pretty hard. Bye!

On 6/25/2016 at 8:56 AM, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Your game is really cool! I like it. A few part suggestions: Centrifuges, Habitats, and more command modules. For example, add some high-visibilty ones, some industrial super-safe ones...... etc. I know game developing is hard, so i don't have much to say.  I noticed a bug: sometimes when i try to click and drag a part, it just appears to the side and i cannot move it.  One last thing: where did you learn game developing? I have tried with Unity and it's pretty hard. Bye!

I am not exactly sure what you mean by high visibility command modules, maybe you could explain? More parts are certainly coming, but I have been primarily working on AI, the player astronaut and controls for that, the beginnings of the resource system, and general ground work for the vehicle interiors system (no point in adding habitats until there is a system for actually walking around inside the spacecraft :wink: ) 

Thanks for the bug report, I have known about that one for a little while and keep forgetting to fix it.

I studied game development/art/programming at university, but honestly the majority of what I know I learned on my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all, first I would like to say I stopped posting here mainly because I saw one of the devs lock the thread of a game developer showing off a game he had made or was making, and since this is a somewhat similar thread I did not want to provoke any similar action.

On 11/2/2016 at 1:36 AM, Devonian said:

Hey, how's progress on this game going? It looks really cool! Also, is it possible for you to update the downloads? Thanks!:)

Progress is slow, but still continues. I may consider updating the downloads in a bit, I have been very very busy with my studies so I have not been able to put nearly as much time into developing this as I would like. I am thrilled to hear you like the look of the game though! I am inspired to work on the project more every time I see someone finding it interesting!

On 11/3/2016 at 8:30 AM, TopHeavy11 said:

I hate to say this, but your sneak peak is unwatchable...as in it is so glitchy.

I am sorry it was unwatchable for you, could you elaborate? I am not sure what you are referring to as glitchy, was it glitchy for anyone else? Please keep in mind this is all very early in development.

On 11/3/2016 at 5:40 PM, legoclone09 said:

Congrats!

Thank you!

I am glad to see people are still interested in this project and as I said above, I always feel more motivated when I see more people getting excited about it. I hope I can get something new out for people to try in the near future!

Cheers!

-A very busy University student trying to develop games in my free time.

Edited by Exclipse

• 4 months later...

Hey, everyone! It has been a really long time, but I figured I would show some of what I have been working on. Development, as you can see has taken a different focus, as I am trying to build the systems for the player and related survival/resource systems now before all of the spaceship systems.

Something else you will notice is multiplayer, the game is now being built from the beginning as a multiplayer survival game.

lkiqAhw.png

er3nnSh.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.