Planetes - 2D Space Exploration Game

Exclipse

Hello, I have decided to show everyone here a little side project I have been working on!

Planetes

Why Planetes? Planetes from the Greek means wanderer or traveler, so it holds a double meaning of "Planet Wanderers"

Development Discord - https://discord.gg/NJHFGcc

EjpBAWI.png

er3nnSh.png

iWRSPw1.png

Core Features:

- Space ship building

- Space Exploration

- Direct control of spaceships (using WASD, etc.)

- Resource Gathering

- 100% physics based

- Extravehicular activities (walking outside of rocket on planets)

- Internal vehicle management (moving inside vehicle)

- Survival

- Combat

Future Features:

- Interstellar travel

The building system is a simple node based system.

Parts can be attached to any free node of the same color, provided they do not collide into other parts.

ss8QOQd.gif

Mx9onbz.gif

Flying in a cave.

2f8M9ck.gif

3jYc096.gif

Edited by Exclipse

Download please! :)

Part suggestions: Boostahs and NERVAs.

Hey thanks for the reminder! I actually meant to post a link to the "Playable" prototype, Will post it shortly.

Boosters are coming soon! A nuclear engine will be as well. However I want to do some other nuclear engines other than the standard NERVA, think Orion project ;)

Edited by Exclipse

Hey thanks for the reminder! I actually meant to post a link to the "Playable" prototype, Will post it shortly.

Boosters are coming soon! A nuclear engine will be as well. However I want to do some other nuclear engines other than the standard NERVA, think Orion project ;)

Do post it soon, I'm excited to play a prototype of a space game any time! Remember, KSP started out as a little tiny project too. This game may evolve into something bigger than this.

Part suggestion: Weapons

Feature Suggestion: A game mode where you fight other spacecrafts.

EDIT:

Part suggestion: Larger rocket parts

Feature suggestion: Ability to place more than 1 crew containment capsule (control source), every space game like this has the need for this eventually.

Edited by GregroxMun

Do post it soon, I'm excited to play a prototype of a space game any time! Remember, KSP started out as a little tiny project too. This game may evolve into something bigger than this.

Part suggestion: Weapons

Feature Suggestion: A game mode where you fight other spacecrafts.

EDIT:

Part suggestion: Larger rocket parts

Feature suggestion: Ability to place more than 1 crew containment capsule (control source), every space game like this has the need for this eventually.

Download link is posted... there was a small mishap where the entire graphics folder got deleted and had to be pulled from my backup...

Weapons and fighting spacecraft is a touchy subject. Currently I would say it is out of scope, however I know that a game like this can evolve naturally in that direction. Players will have basic "weapon like" tools anyways with things like the asteroid grappling harpoon launcher.

The current part sizes I consider to be mid-sized, so there will be smaller, and there will be larger. Not a lot larger though, complications arise in a game like this where the planets are on mini scale to the the players rockets and avatars. I am considering increasing planet size by 10 to even possibly 100 times the current size, however it depends on some technical issues I am working on right now.

Hope you can enjoy the prototype! Just remember that it is a very early prototype ;)

The biggest problem right now is that there doesn't seem to be any way to make a part go away. No delete button. I'm also having problems with placing parts, the sometimes require a lot of fiddling to work. No movement of already-placed parts later.

This could definitely be fun soon! :)

The biggest problem right now is that there doesn't seem to be any way to make a part go away. No delete button. I'm also having problems with placing parts, the sometimes require a lot of fiddling to work. No movement of already-placed parts later.

This could definitely be fun soon! :)

Ah! Yes removing parts coming soon, for now you can click a new command pod and it will remove the whole rocket. The difficult placement is due to some slightly oversized part colliders, I just need to go and fine tune some of the parts. Originally there was no anti clip protection for placement, so the colliders were not an issue.

Will be fixed soon!

Nope just a launch pad and a blue earth with a square for a center?

mabye my computer isn't strong enough to handle this?

It should not take much, mind giving the specs on your computer? I wonder if anyone else has had any similar issues. Have you tried re downloading/ unzipping?

Updated the building system to allow for picking up and moving parts (right click a part) and removing a part currently held (also right click) so to remove a placed part just right click on it twice. Also I took a look over the parts to fit their colliders better so parts should place better in general, please let me know if you have more issues with placing parts, and what parts were difficult exactly.

gSdxeRu.gif

Also the bomb part is functional, simply activate with B.

BAe75R5.gif

Also I finally stuck the moon landing :D

rqNdpLy.gif

And last but not least. Launched on Greenlight, votes are greatly appreciated!

GDe5SDG.jpg

Edited by Exclipse

Yes, I get an 403 error, too. :( I would really like to try you game. I love the idea of asteroid defending.

One question: Do you get punished if you kill a Kerbal astronaut by flying kamikaze-style in an asteroid?

Anyone have a site they can recommend for hosting downloads like this? Google drive does not seem to be working very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I get an 403 error, too. :( I would really like to try you game. I love the idea of asteroid defending.

One question: Do you get punished if you kill a Kerbal astronaut by flying kamikaze-style in an asteroid?

Currently no, but that is because astronauts do not exist exactly. They will be added though, and crashing a manned capsul into an asteroid will have negative effects.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again your download link is nonfunctional. Also, I upvoted your greenlight.

Thanks for the upvote as well! These votes really matter!

I require this. But the 403 error is a hope murderer!

I hope you can find a new hosting, this has so much potential in it.

It will be re hosted tonight. I will make a post when it is. You can also expect some additional info on the direction and future plans of the game then.

Mediafire, really? I prefer Dropbox, it´s ad-free and the non-premium version gives you more options than at mediafire. But better than nothing... trying it out now. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.