Planetes - 2D Space Exploration Game

Exclipse

I just have an idea, not for the name, but for an update in the future. A KSP expansion so you can make your ships look like KSP stuff! Art shouldn't be too hard and the 1.25m parts can be the same size as the small cockpit and 2.5 the larger and 3.75m a larger if it exists already. It also looks like a great game, I will try it out when I can.

Edited by legoclone09

On 2/25/2016 at 9:57 AM, legoclone09 said:

I just have an idea, not for the name, but for an update in the future. A KSP expansion so you can make your ships look like KSP stuff! Art shouldn't be too hard and the 1.25m parts can be the same size as the small cockpit and 2.5 the larger and 3.75m a larger if it exists already. It also looks like a great game, I will try it out when I can.

That would be fun to do! However since the game needs to be it's own thing initially I am avoiding making things look like KSP parts. Perhaps when I have more time, or if someone in the community wanted to do the art for them!

The standard part size is 1.5 meter, and parts can be increments of .5 meters.

The cockpit in the images I just posted is sized at 1.5 meters but that will be changed to 3 meters most likely.

On 2/25/2016 at 2:37 PM, CliftonM said:

Could you export a Mac version?

I certainly can, as soon as I have a new version ready for people to try!

The last version I released was long enough ago that I can no longer create it, and it was one of the last playable versions before I started doing some extensive changes to the code making the game not very fit for people to try.

I may have something playable I could release in a week or two. Fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, Exclipse said:

That would be fun to do! However since the game needs to be it's own thing initially I am avoiding making things look like KSP parts. Perhaps when I have more time, or if someone in the community wanted to do the art for them!

The standard part size is 1.5 meter, and parts can be increments of .5 meters.

The cockpit in the images I just posted is sized at 1.5 meters but that will be changed to 3 meters most likely.

Sounds cool, I might be able to make absolutely ugly parts!

24 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Could you make a VAB you build ships in then launch them from the current pad? It shouldn't be to hard.

I could, but I don't plan to, as I don't think that will fit well with the games direction.

Ship building is meant to take place in space docks (in space), in launch bays (at ground facilities) and finally from your ship itself (if the right parts are on your ship) you can build your ship from your ship if you have the required materials. 

The ground facilities with launch bays is the nearest to what you were talking about I think. However the player will build or edit their ship in the launch bay and simply launch from the bay when finished.

Perhaps one of the biggest ways this game has change from Asteroid Initiative is that "your" ship becomes much more personal to you. You build it, add to it, upgrade parts, repair damage parts, remove outdated parts. It is your player's home. You will be able to walk around inside certain parts and attach smaller ships to our main ship.

Your ship is special!

Edited by Exclipse

8 hours ago, Exclipse said:

I could, but I don't plan to, as I don't think that will fit well with the games direction.

Ship building is meant to take place in space docks (in space), in launch bays (at ground facilities) and finally from your ship itself (if the right parts are on your ship) you can build your ship from your ship if you have the required materials. 

The ground facilities with launch bays is the nearest to what you were talking about I think. However the player will build or edit their ship in the launch bay and simply launch from the bay when finished.

Perhaps one of the biggest ways this game has change from Asteroid Initiative is that "your" ship becomes much more personal to you. You build it, add to it, upgrade parts, repair damage parts, remove outdated parts. It is your player's home. You will be able to walk around inside certain parts and attach smaller ships to our main ship.

Your ship is special!

Actually, your ship is S.P.E.C.I.A.L.!

Yeah, how will the solar system be laid out? Orbiting the Sun I guess, with other planets? Will they be real planets or made-up ones?

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, how will the solar system be laid out? Orbiting the Sun I guess, with other planets? Will they be real planets or made-up ones?

As you would expect the planets surround the star at the center of each solar system. And planets can have moons as well. Currently planets and moons do not orbit, and this may or may not change. I would like to have orbiting planets, but this could cause some extra complications for the game that do not really add to the enjoyment.

The game is less about your delta V and orbital characteristics and more about exploring and surviving.

The planets of the starting star system resemble our solar system's planets. But because of the scale of the game and planets it would be awkward to make a mini earth as the continents would not make any sense. Since when does Africa have a massive cave you can fly a spaceship into... Well it doesn't, but in the game there are big caves you can fly down into, which are spread around the surface of the earth like planet and many others. The earth like is about 1200 meters in diameter. Which sounds pretty small, but it still gives lots of area to explore.

Edited by Exclipse

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

No.  It must be the sun and all of the planets orbiting one of the planets.  :wink:

6 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

No.  It must be the sun and all of the planets orbiting one of the planets.  :wink:

Well he was right to ask, many 2d space games have thrown out the scientific model of star systems and just randomly place planets and stars where ever they like.

2 minutes ago, Exclipse said:

Well he was right to ask, many 2d space games have thrown out the scientific model of star systems and just randomly place planets and stars where ever they like.

I know.  I was just kidding.  :)  No worries.

24 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

I hope you're still working on this @Exclipse, it looks just like the games I play ;)

Also, I'm sticking this for March's Lounge TOTM!

Oh wow! Thanks!

Yep still working on it! Although sometimes the work seems repetitive.

Well this is better then the 6 parts and the most basic areas I remember from a year ago good job with the game :) still need a non potato graphics chip

Well this is better then the 6 parts and the most basic areas I remember from a year ago good job with the game :) still need a non potato graphics chip

On 3/8/2016 at 6:27 PM, Ethanadams said:

Glad you like the improvements and thanks for the support!

1 minute ago, Kozak said:

Realized it as soon as i posted it. wasn't able to find the delete button on the new forums.

There is no delete button, unfortunately.  Yeah, that link got perged by the MediaFire link removal.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Kozak said:

[broken] :)

2 hours ago, CliftonM said:

That's from May...

Yes very much old links.

So that bad news is I have been ridiculously busy this week, paperwork for buying a home is insane. This means that I got very little done on the game, and you will be trying something that is not really any better than it was last time I spoke.

I really should not be posting it to be played (if you can call it play even). But I am going to throw caution to the wind and hand it over, with the disclaimer that I do not expect anything to work. The majority of the planets won't function properly as they have not been converted to the new system, the planets that do function have very little detail currently. The building system is just barely functional and the UI is broken and from the game in it's previous state. Do not expect the mini map to work(I had mixed results in the games baked form).

Anyways, Here you go. Enjoy if possible...

PC Version (tested for basic functions): PC Download

Mac Version (not tested at all): Mac Download

22 hours ago, Exclipse said:

Yes very much old links.

So that bad news is I have been ridiculously busy this week, paperwork for buying a home is insane. This means that I got very little done on the game, and you will be trying something that is not really any better than it was last time I spoke.

I really should not be posting it to be played (if you can call it play even). But I am going to throw caution to the wind and hand it over, with the disclaimer that I do not expect anything to work. The majority of the planets won't function properly as they have not been converted to the new system, the planets that do function have very little detail currently. The building system is just barely functional and the UI is broken and from the game in it's previous state. Do not expect the mini map to work(I had mixed results in the games baked form).

Anyways, Here you go. Enjoy if possible...

PC Version (tested for basic functions): PC Download

Mac Version (not tested at all): Mac Download

I tested it out, and it's pretty fun.  I don't know if you're aware about this bug, but if you launch a ship, go back, and try to build another, it spawns the parts below the left panel in the building UI, and doesn't allow you to move them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I finally got ship building to a mostly complete state, (It had was lacking clipping blocking, so you could place parts in parts). I got a lot done in the damage system, which has been a big headache. Damaging parts is easy enough, but the things that need to happen when a parts breaks is a little more complex. For instance if a part had other parts connected to it that were not destroyed but are not visibly connected to the main section of the spaceship, they need to be set free from the main section and so on. Since I am using my own system for ship parts being connected (not using Unity3D's physics system for connections) and since parts can have multiple attachment points, this tends to get pretty complex quickly. I do feel like I got the most complex portion of it done though.

So next time I make a build available you should have spaceships that can fall apart!

I also started a blog to keep track of my development for anyone who is interested. http://www.davidtdesign.com/blog

UH7rFKM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.