Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaerwek

Career mode, why cannot I use SAS?

Question

I'm new. And yeah, I like Career mode. Which is a bit difficult. But I've tried to go back to Science or Sandbox, and egh, I can't really take that.

So I'm continuing with Career, and I'm having trouble going to orbit. I'd like to try to do it with SAS.

Despite manning my rocket propelled spaceship with a Pilot, I don't get SAS enabled.

What am I missing?

6 answers to this question

Do you get an error saying that you don't have a pilot on board? Specifically even if you have a kerbal onboard unless they have the 'pilot' role you will not be able to use SAS.

Or are you talking about not getting the little list of orientations when you turn SAS on? In that case, those only unlock as your pilot gains experience.

Having a pilot should allow you to turn SAS on, but they will only have Stability assist to start (ie it will kill rotation but won't prograde/retrograde/etc hold). As the pilot gets experience you get Prograde/Retrograde at level 1, Normal and Radial (and their Antis) at 2 and manoeuvre/target at 3.

If you have a pilot and pressing T gives the error message that no SAS is available... That sounds like a bug

What I do is try to click the SAS button which is located at the top right of the Navball. When I do that with a Pilot, I get a red text message stating 'No Target'.

AFAIK the SAS button should lit yellow, but it doesn't do that either.

The top button on NavBall changes display of your velocity and it may say "no target" if you don't have any... well target (like other vessel to dock). The default key binding for SAS is 'T' that I think is the only way to enable it.

Top right, the one that says 'SAS', if I read it right.

The thing you are trying to click on is only an indicator light. :D Toggle SAS on and off with the T key, as Deflinek is advising. You will see that light go on and off, but it's not a button itself.