[1.0.2] Mini Airbrakes (now for MM!)

FishInferno

hey guys, do you think I should also add a bigger airbrake for MK3 craft?

I say go for it because... Why not?

I made 2 large sizes and tested them out. They might be over powered as heck, but I used the same scale math for their increased size. The first one has a scale factor of 1.5 (150%) with a 2.25x stat increase. The second one has a scale factor of 2.0 (200%) with a 4x stat increase. Here are some screen shots.

The first image shows the 2 new airbrakes with the original. The original is center bottom, large is bottom sides and mega is top sides. There is a before and after of an in flight test with 1 original, 2 large and 2 mega on a MK3 Jet Plane.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here is the code I used for MM. Includes the Mini version and 2 larger versions.

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (M.I.N.I)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. A smaller airbrake.
@mass = 0.0125
@MODULE[ModuleAeroSurface]
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.1
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.25
}
}

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = largeairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 1.5
@TechRequired = heavyAerodynamics
@entryCost = 15000
@cost = 1000
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (L.A.R.G.E)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too wimpy for larger craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. A larger airbrake.
@mass = 0.1
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.85
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 2.25
}
}

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = largeairbrake2
@rescaleFactor = 2.0
@TechRequired = heavyAerodynamics
@entryCost = 25000
@cost = 2500
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (M.E.G.A)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too wimpy for mega sized craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. Make them HUGE!.
@mass = 0.2
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 1.5
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 4
}
}

Here is a download copy of the config I am using. Open source, feel free to use them in your project FishInferno. I am going to do some additional tests by dropping loads from orbit, but I think the numbers as is should be fine. I put them in the Heavy Aerodynamics science research node. Of course, feel free to make any changes you think are necessary :-D

http://www./download/ycwalaawv26m01v/NewAirBrakes.cfg

Cheers!

UPDATE:

I did some drop tests with a 28 ton empty rocket stage. With 4 of the original airbrakes, the velocity at sea level from a 100k, 45° arc was ~150m/s and minimal heating and re-entry effects. With the Large airbrakes it was ~100 m/s and with the Mega it was ~50 m/s both basically eliminated re-entry heating. The Mega version seems OP as heck until you compare them to the original which are OP to start with. So using the same math for the stats you end up with crazy slow down :-D

I do not see any problems with them as they are. Future re-balancing by Squad may make things more realistic. I guess we can re-visit things in the next update :-P Try them out and let me know what you guys think of the numbers I came up with..

Edited by hazens1

I say go for it because... Why not?

I made 2 large sizes and tested them out. They might be over powered as heck, but I used the same scale math for their increased size. The first one has a scale factor of 1.5 (150%) with a 2.25x stat increase. The second one has a scale factor of 2.0 (200%) with a 4x stat increase. Here are some screen shots.

The first image shows the 2 new airbrakes with the original. The original is center bottom, large is bottom sides and mega is top sides. There is a before and after of an in flight test with 1 original, 2 large and 2 mega on a MK3 Jet Plane.

http://imgur.com/a/9qcOE

How does one properly embed an imgur album?

You imbed like this.

[ imgur ] 9qcOE [ / imgur ]

No spaces so it looks like this...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 5 months later...

What is the ratio of the drag of the small ones compared to stock ? Used 1 normal on my craft and tested, then did put 2 small ones and it seems they do not drag at all.

Seems like 25% or something ?

UsOTxR0.jpg

TTnN96q.jpg

Edited by Mapoko

What is the ratio of the drag of the small ones compared to stock ? Used 1 normal on my craft and tested, then did put 2 small ones and it seems they do not drag at all.

Seems like 25% or something ?

Yes, they have 25% of the drag value of the regular airbrakes. Are you using this mod in 1.0.4?

• 6 months later...

Any plans to update this to KSP 1.1?

Also, would you mind doing the following:

1. Host it on Curse, now that KerbalStuff is dead?  (Le Sads)
  2. Post a link to the actual GitHub repo for the mod?
  3. Make it compatible with CKAN?  (Which makes things even easier than hosting it on Curse or the now defunct KerbalStuff)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, FishInferno said:

very busy and didn't need the distraction.  I will probably update this mod once 1.2 comes out and then port it to SpaceDock.  Glad to hear my mod is missed though;)

Cool,   I personally ended up making my own files based on some of the code in the posts above (5 different airbrake sizes.)   However a lot of players are not good CFG ninjas.

• 6 months later...

Any chance you can update the CKAN integration for newer versions of the game?  The parts still work fine, but the mod no longer shows up in CKAN unless you manually add older versions in the list of "compatible" ones.

• 8 months later...

@Leo_G., it is a module manager patch so the patch is the source. You don't even really need to DL it, just copy and paste.
Not sure if there was more to this mod but it looked like at an earlier point in the thread.

On 5/7/2015 at 10:13 PM, hazens1 said:

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (M.I.N.I)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. A smaller airbrake.
@mass = 0.0125
@maximum_drag = 0.01
@minimum_drag = 0.01
@angularDrag = 1
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.1
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.25
}
}

On 12/18/2017 at 12:03 PM, jlcarneiro said:

It's a "simple" MM patch, it should work just fine as long as you use the latest ModuleManager version. :wink:

The mod was indeed working fine, it just wasn't showing up in CKAN due to outdated metadata info in their system.  I wanted to make sure that there was no KSP AVC version info in the mod itself, because then the mod needs to be updated directly.  That's not a problem here so I submitted an update to the CKAN guys that updates the compatible version from the fixed "1.0.4" to the much looser "any"

Now this little gem should now always be visible in CKAN for everyone's future enjoyment.

• 1 year later...

Since *** malicious site we no longer use *** is no longer active, would you mind if I take over this mod?  If so, can you PM me a link to the github repo for it so I can clone it?  Thanks.

(P.S.  I'm the one that previously updated this to appear in CKAN for all versions.)

On 12/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, Nightside said:

it is a module manager patch so the patch is the source. You don't even really need to DL it, just copy and paste.

the one file posted in the thread IS the mod (except version, license, readme, etc et al)

1 hour ago, Leo_G. said:

link to

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.