[1.0.2] Mini Airbrakes (now for MM!)

FishInferno

Recently, I was building a small, fast fighter jet. I wanted to add airbrakes to slow it down quickly, but the standard airbrakes looked ugly and out-of-place. So here is my solution: a mini airbrake for your small aircraft!

2q2jyo2.png

2njy34j.png

Any feedback is greatly welcomed; this is my first mod for KSP.

This mod requires ModuleManager, but a patch is included in the download

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Edited by FishInferno

I love build and fly small jets, and i always wondered why there are in KSP only 1 version of big airbrakes, and none for more little projects.

While non totally necessary when you have small mass to fly, this mod put a patch to the stock parts adding a very nice and neat part. And works greats btw.

Thanks to the modder, i really appreciate this! It should be really put in stock !!

I love build and fly small jets, and i always wondered why there are in KSP only 1 version of big airbrakes, and none for more little projects.

While non totally necessary when you have small mass to fly, this mod put a patch to the stock parts adding a very nice and neat part. And works greats btw.

Thanks to the modder, i really appreciate this! It should be really put in stock !!

Thanks! :)

because tweakscale?

You could have just done

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (Small)
@manufacturer = C7 Aerospace Division
description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution: A smaller airbrake.

@mass = 0.025
@emissiveConstant = 0.475
@maximum_drag = 0.01
@minimum_drag = 0.01
@angularDrag = 1

@MODULE[ModuleAeroSurface]
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.19
@ctrlSurfaceArea = .5
}
}

You could have just done
+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (Small)
@manufacturer = C7 Aerospace Division
description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution: A smaller airbrake.

@mass = 0.025
@emissiveConstant = 0.475
@maximum_drag = 0.01
@minimum_drag = 0.01
@angularDrag = 1

{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.19
@ctrlSurfaceArea = .5
}
}

MM config? stick in the gamedata folder?

Very nice!

I felt they were a little OP for their size. So I made my own adjustments after some of my own testing. Still a little OP, but with these values I feel they are more in line with the original. Four of these mini airbrakes equals the effectiveness of 1 regular airbrake. Here is my adjusted Module Manager script that I am happy with. I also moved them 1 tech node earlier :-D

Put the code in a text editor and save it as miniairbrake.cfg and place it in the GameData folder along with Module Manager.

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (M.I.N.I)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. A smaller airbrake.
@mass = 0.0125
@maximum_drag = 0.01
@minimum_drag = 0.01
@angularDrag = 1
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.1
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.25
}
}

Cheers!

Very nice!

I felt they were a little OP for their size. So I made my own adjustments after some of my own testing. Still a little OP, but with these values I feel they are more in line with the original. Four of these mini airbrakes equals the effectiveness of 1 regular airbrake. Here is my adjusted Module Manager script that I am happy with. I also moved them 1 tech node earlier :-D

Put the code in a text editor and save it as miniairbrake.cfg and place it in the GameData folder along with Module Manager.

+PART[airbrake1]
{
@name = miniairbrake1
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
@entryCost = 5000
@cost = 250
@title = A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (M.I.N.I)
@description = After several complaints from our brave pilots that the standard A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S were too powerful for smaller craft, the engineers at C7 Aerospace came up with a simple solution. A smaller airbrake.
@mass = 0.0125
@maximum_drag = 0.01
@minimum_drag = 0.01
@angularDrag = 1
{
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.1
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.25
}
}

Cheers!

Thank you for your feedback, One of my concerns was they they were too OP

- - - Updated - - -

With MM, do you just have to add that file to the GameData folder and have MM installed? How is this better than how the mod is currently? (I am new to modding)

Sorry for such a noob question but is "@rescaleFactor = 0.5" the main bit of the code that determines the size of the part then?

I've never modded anything myself but would like to make a smaller size jet engine, is there a tutorial somewhere that says what the main lines of the part config file do?

Sorry for such a noob question but is "@rescaleFactor = 0.5" the main bit of the code that determines the size of the part then?

I've never modded anything myself but would like to make a smaller size jet engine, is there a tutorial somewhere that says what the main lines of the part config file do?

Yes rescalefactor is what determines part size, but I also altered drag, cost, etc.

Thank you for your feedback, One of my concerns was they they were too OP

- - - Updated - - -

With MM, do you just have to add that file to the GameData folder and have MM installed? How is this better than how the mod is currently? (I am new to modding)

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the way you have it set up, it creates another part the game has to load, even though it's using the same texture, the game has to load 2 copies of the texture. Which uses more memory. Using a MM config, alters the part that's already there, and doesn't have to create another, which saves on memory for those of us hitting the memory wall.

You should check the thread and documentation for MM. There is a lot of modding you can do that does not permanently change existing game data as well as adding modified parts without duplicating game assets.

Using a MM config, alters the part that's already there, and doesn't have to create another, which saves on memory for those of us hitting the memory wall.

While you can use MM to temporarily alter existing parts. The "+PART" (plus) command makes a copy of the part data in the game's part database leaving the original unchanged. The new part of course as you stated uses the same texture, model and sound assets of the original saving memory.

The end result is the same except using MM of course saves memory and if a value you are not changing gets modified in a future version of the game or textures/models/sound, your copied part stays up to date except for the values you are modifying of course :-D

Edited by hazens1

Here is a good place to look for part documentation :-D

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation

I tried adding Hazens cfg file to the GameData folder to test out MM, but eve with MM installed it does not add the new part. Thoughts?

Did you ensure the config file extension was ".cfg"? When pasting into a text editor sometimes depending on the editor when you save the file is saves as ".cfg.txt". MM scans for .cfg files that contain the keywords. Here is the actual file that I have been using in my game play. I also removed the changes to drag. I've got the config down to just what I think really matters :wink:

http://www./download/5tblzfpbv6libv7/MiniAirBrake.cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.