[1.1.2] Take Command - Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats [v1.4.1 - May 6, 2016]

seanmcdougall

2 hours ago, offtheball said:

Hey, I'm running into that issue where someone was spawned in a command seat for a rescue mission, and the rendezvous got all kinds of messed up. I uninstalled this mod temporarily, and I can rendezvous just fine now, but the command seat is empty. I can't get my poor kerbal out of there.

Does anyone know a fix for this, so I can get this kerbal back?

Sorry for the double post, but I want to make sure this guy sees this (He'll get a notification)

Here is what I did. I uninstalled the mod, got my rescue ship close enough to get within physics range. Quicksaved, exited, reinstalled the mod, and loaded the quicksave. Now the Kerbal is in the seat and you can gap him. After rescuing, i suggest uninstalling the mod, until the bug is sorted :)

Ahh, that makes so much sense. I can't believe I didn't think of it!

Thank you for the reply! I'll get to play it again in a couple days, so I'll implement this plan. I tried so much save hacking to get this to work.

Thank you so much, I thought I'd have to abandon the mission, and because OCD, the save. I spent so much time getting that rendezvous with a probe-controlled capsule, RT, and no commsat network up yet. Good to know that work won't go to waste :)

It's not a bug it's a feature.

Seriously.

This mod adds crew capacity to external command seats. Anything with crew capacity is subject to be used for rescue missions. This thread is full of people complaining about it and there is nothing that can fix it without breaking the mod.

Okay. Look, I'm a developer, and I know that bugs happen. They're no one's fault, and sometimes they are legitimately actually features. In calling this a bug, I don't mean to cast blame on this mod or the developer at all.

The fact is, though, it breaks rescues. The issue isn't that kerbals get stranded in command seats. Rescue missions break realism all the time. Like, how did you wind up there in just a command pod? What happened to leave you on so perfectly circular and equatorial an orbit? How could this have possibly been the result of a near fatal mission failure?

The issue is that rescuing those kerbals seems to be impossible. Every time I tried, focus would switch to the stranded vessel when I got 2.2km out. The stranded vessel would be rotating rapidly. I found the stranded vessel on a gentle yet still deadly suborbital trajectory, with a periapsis of +/- 25km. The rescuing vessel, most of the time, lost about 1800m/s of orbital velocity and was falling very steeply through the atmosphere. A couple of times it did maintain its trajectory (which, yes, was technically suborbital at the time of rendezvous), but trying to EVA across 2km while falling back into the atmosphere turns out to not be all that fun.

This is a bug. I was pretty excited to use this mod, but it can't coexist with rescue missions. If you turn those off, or you're not playing career mode, this won't be an issue, but if your game allows for rescues missions, this mod will break that. I don't know what it would take to fix, and if the developer doesn't have the time or energy, that's totally fine. This is still useful for many people, and any mod developer who makes something useful deserves praise from the community, but no one is helped if we pretend that bugs don't exist. Anyone who runs into this issue can google the problem, find this thread, find a way to rescue their stranded kerbal, and, knowing it was this mod, make the decision for themselves regarding whether or not to keep it.

59 minutes ago, offtheball said:

Okay. Look, I'm a developer, and I know that bugs happen. They're no one's fault, and sometimes they are legitimately actually features. In calling this a bug, I don't mean to cast blame on this mod or the developer at all.

The fact is, though, it breaks rescues. The issue isn't that kerbals get stranded in command seats. Rescue missions break realism all the time. Like, how did you wind up there in just a command pod? What happened to leave you on so perfectly circular and equatorial an orbit? How could this have possibly been the result of a near fatal mission failure?

The issue is that rescuing those kerbals seems to be impossible. Every time I tried, focus would switch to the stranded vessel when I got 2.2km out. The stranded vessel would be rotating rapidly. I found the stranded vessel on a gentle yet still deadly suborbital trajectory, with a periapsis of +/- 25km. The rescuing vessel, most of the time, lost about 1800m/s of orbital velocity and was falling very steeply through the atmosphere. A couple of times it did maintain its trajectory (which, yes, was technically suborbital at the time of rendezvous), but trying to EVA across 2km while falling back into the atmosphere turns out to not be all that fun.

This is a bug. I was pretty excited to use this mod, but it can't coexist with rescue missions. If you turn those off, or you're not playing career mode, this won't be an issue, but if your game allows for rescues missions, this mod will break that. I don't know what it would take to fix, and if the developer doesn't have the time or energy, that's totally fine. This is still useful for many people, and any mod developer who makes something useful deserves praise from the community, but no one is helped if we pretend that bugs don't exist. Anyone who runs into this issue can google the problem, find this thread, find a way to rescue their stranded kerbal, and, knowing it was this mod, make the decision for themselves regarding whether or not to keep it.

Indeed! Even if the mod only does something simple, the result of it is game breaking. At the very least it should be acknowledged on the frontpage, in huge letters because for the exact for mentioned reason, I at first thought it silly to think this mod was even responsible.

If the mod maker can't or won't fix the problem, thats totally fine, just let people know this WILL happened, and without cheating you won't be able to do rescues with this mod. But to shrug it off seems unconscionable to me.

Edited by Sokar408
I spell like a chimp on crack.

I agree with you, it should be in the OP (I thought it was) and it is a game breaking issue (also I'll add it's not listed on his issue tracker hint hint). The issue here is his back is up against the wall as I see it, since it's stock behavior that does this, and is a bit outside of the scope of the mod to fix (in it's present state).

The "solution" would probably require a complete rewrite. I don't know the nature of the plugin aspect of this mod (I believe it's a camera/kerbal refresh), but when I tried duplicating this mod, as soon as I added crew capacity to the command seat, it qualified for rescue missions. But if a part doesn't have crew capacity, then you can't add kerbals to them in the editor. A catch 22. It would be nice if there were a way for there to be a filter for rescue missions (since Kerbal Seats are a special module, you would think it would be easy to hit), but I seem to remember hearing it's not possible at present. Really though, this is something @seanmcdougall should be answering.

An alternative "solution" is to try out the Kerbal Academy contract pack, which actually disables rescue missions entirely, and provides a different contract means to get new recruits.

Best I can come up with, (and sorry if I came across as cantankerous.:P)

Cheers.

I'm having a couple odd issues I'm trying to troubleshoot... anyone know if TC can be safely uninstalled while command chairs are currently in use somewhere? Do I need to replace/remove the chairs before or after uninstalling?

I'm not 100% sure, but based on my rendezvous, you'll definitely want all kerbals out of their seats when you uninstall the mod. On the bright side, reinstalling it seems to restore them. That's how I got Arcee Kerman home: rendezvous without the mod, reinstall it, and she was there, fully controllable, alive and well.

I tried to do a whole bunch of save hacking to get Arcee into her seat without the mod, basing her on Jebediah sitting on the launchpad, but in the end, the closest I got was a kind of zombie kerbal: she was there, I could get her out of the seat, control her, get her to the rescue pod, but once I recovered her the game thought she was dead.

I think if your seats are vacant, you can do it. If I were you, I'd back up my save first, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, siliconworm said:

This mod is broken in 1.1.3. Please update

In the future, please be more descriptive in your bug report. This statement does nothing to help the mod author fix what broke between the KSP updates. I think somewhere on the forum there are bug reporting guidelines like including a KSP log file for instance.

My own testing includes launching a mk1 pod with two command seats. KSP v1.1.3, single mod install with Take Command 1.4.1. The kerbal portraits appear with IVA, but the physical models do not show up in the command seats. When I click EVA on the portrait, the kerbal now appears and I can re-board the seat.

Hope this is somewhat useful and thanks in advance!

On June 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM, aeroeng14 said:

My own testing includes launching a mk1 pod with two command seats. KSP v1.1.3, single mod install with Take Command 1.4.1. The kerbal portraits appear with IVA, but the physical models do not show up in the command seats. When I click EVA on the portrait, the kerbal now appears and I can re-board the seat.

Same here. My craft differs from yours, but the result is the same.

Great, the mod i need! Thank you.

So, i manage to copy the code you create to be implemented in Command Seat Stock with Module Manager, on my Seat Part, and it worked, i could add Kerbals in SPH then launch with all filled. But some of then start of seat/ship, look!

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.20.44 PM

PART
{
    name = egg_seat
    module = Part
    author = ClimberFX
    //mesh = seat.mu
    rescaleFactor = 1.25
    node_stack = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0
    TechRequired = start
    entryCost = 0
    cost = 150
    category = Pods
    subcategory = 0
    title = Climber Seat
    manufacturer = ClimberFX
    description = This is a Seat for Crew and Command Modules, from ClimberFX.
    // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,0,0,0,0
    mass = 0.08
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.08
    minimum_drag = 0.08
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 7
    breakingForce = 50
    breakingTorque = 50
    maxTemp = 2100
    bulkheadProfiles = seat
    tags = chair control seat climberfx

MODEL
    {
        model = ClimberFX/Parts/crew_one/seat
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = KerbalSeat
        seatPivotName = seatPivot01  
        ejectDirection = 0, 1, 0.2
    }

CrewCapacity = 1

MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }

INTERNAL
    {
        name = GenericSpace1
    }
}

Edited by Climberfx

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2016 at 3:22 PM, Teilnehmer said:

Works perfectly with 1.1.3 after a recompile!

Download.

This recompile works up to a point: attempting to load more than one kerbal will cause a large amount of force to be applied to your craft; either only launch one kerbal in the external command seats or use launch clamps.

2 hours ago, Liondrome said:

This recompile works up to a point: attempting to load more than one kerbal will cause a large amount of force to be applied to your craft; either only launch one kerbal in the external command seats or use launch clamps.

I can't say I've used this recently, but a recompile generally doesn't change the underlying mechanics of the mod. Chances are it's an issue with the base mod.

Or maybe your kerbals have been indulging in a few too many snacks and have become a bit hefty:sticktongue:

Thanks for the headsup either way.:)

Hello.

I just had a terrible experience on my Hard career save. (No F5/9 etc.)

I was going to rescue 3 kerbals (contract) from LKO as well as 5 others returning from Minmus mission, realizing they only got 1 parachute, so hanging in LKO.

And as soon as the kerbal's craft was supposed to load Kraken did strike, the rescuee started spinning out of control and my rescue cratf' ~70by70 (w/e the rescuee's orbit was) became 58 sub orbital.

I managed to switch (from tracking station) and what I saw was :

http://imgur.com/pxK79Je

Can you please make so it is not available as stranded kerbal's crafts?

Edited by Mapoko

44 minutes ago, Mapoko said:

Hello.

I just had a terrible experience on my Hard career save. (No F5/9 etc.)

I was going to rescue 3 kerbals (contract) from LKO as well as 5 others returning from Minmus mission, realizing they only got 1 parachute, so hanging in LKO.

And as soon as the kerbal's craft was supposed to load Kraken did strike, the rescuee started spinning out of control and my rescue cratf' ~70by70 (w/e the rescuee's orbit was) became 58 sub orbital.

I managed to switch (from tracking station) and what I saw was :

http://imgur.com/pxK79Je

Can you please make so it is not available as stranded kerbal's crafts?

That's a lot harder than it sounds.  :wink:  Basically, there isn't any way in base KSP to tell it that a part has seats but can't be used for stranded Kerbals.  I believe there's a mod around that takes the opposite approach: It basically tells KSP that this is the list of parts that Kerbals can be stranded in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2016 at 10:22 AM, Teilnehmer said:

Works perfectly with 1.1.3 after a recompile!

Download.

Could you make a Github fork and upload this recompile to it?

I can do it if you want me to.  I presume you want credit (by the license I should give you credit.)

• 1 month later...