Apollo 7

Apollo 8

Apollo 9

Apollo 11

Spoiler

Mods

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Use 6.4:1 Scale Kerbin (Or some other large rescale). +50   (used 10* scale so RSS size in KSP universe)

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Launch Escape System. +5

(mech jeb is only showing up cause it's built into the probe cores from coatl and I forgot to disable them!)

- Use a Life Support mod +26

total 106

Likely to change as a skylab and mun base are being built, but med exams are not fun and impending!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get back into KSP after a long break and I'm coming back to this challenge because I really enjoyed it last time.  I've been doing my engineering work in a seperate save file but I plan to start my actual challenge file either today or tomorrow.

Some of my hardware so far:

e84kcz.jpg 9fp1f8.jpg 5ov2ar.jpg

On the left - the Saturn 1B with an Apollo CSM.  The CSM (Right) is heavy enough that it needs about 70% of its own fuel to make Low earth orbit on the Saturn 1B which should be fine for Apollo 9 and Skylab operations.  The Saturn 1 B is also poweful enough to launch my Viking style orbiter/lander probes to the Moon.  The CSM is shown with its protective faring removed - this was an earlier draft of the CSM for the final draft I clipped the faring base 1 step forward since the faring base is hollow - this gave me the form factor I wanted for a final CSM.  Also visible is the Saturn V (Center) - you can see the working LEM prototype there.  I haven't yet landed it on the moon.  Stage one is powerful enough to lift off at 2/3 thrust on both Saturn 1B and Saturn V though both are designedfor 75% thrust.  The SpaceY mod parts give me a much smoother looking Saturn than my old stock mish-mash.  The SIV engine is a Space Y engine which uses the same bell model as the clusters in keeping with the real Saturn V's look.

Behind the CSM you might notice Baja California and central America.  That is because I'll be running Stock Size Real Solar System this time around.  I've also started using Kerbalism for my Life Support mod of choice.  The Saturn V itself used pure fuel cells but I am not likely to keep those points as Viking and Voyager probes use RTGs and Apollo 15's rover is likely to have some form of solar power (similarly true for ASLEP and the future Moon base) and of course Skylab.  I don't plan to introduce Solar power until after Apollo 13.

Life support wise my CSM has food, Oxygen, Water, Power, and atmosphere for 12 days (much longer than it is likely to be used for).  The LEM is only really good for a day at most by itself.  I am looking into a one month Moon base for long term micro-gravity studies as well as crewed flybys of both Venus and Mars.  I plan to launch probes to Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Pluto on early windows and Viking style landers to Venus (Expecting it to be crushed by Venus's atmospheric pressure), Moon, Mars, Europa, and Titan.  Sometime after completing the core AAP missions I may introduce Nuclear propulsion as I'd like to try a Europa mission - eventually.

I hope to start a mission log this week including.  

If I find that I have the time and patience with recording a new AAP challenge and developing it to that point this is somewhat inline with what I was hoping to do.  I'll admit that some of the engineering for the IPP is currently beyond me (I haven't made a functioning SSTO in a long time let alone the kinds of cargo/crew transfers that are in that article - and once I go beyond Apollo I'll probably want to start taking my own spin on ship designs.

I do want to get to Mars and Venus programs following some Moon operations (plan to install Hooligan Labs airships when its time to get serious about Venus).  I do plan to have at least Skylab and a Moon station.  I don't know that I'm up for maintaining everything with Kerbalism and making it all reusable though (especially since Kerbalism will put limits on its usability ultimately too).

I've run AS-201 (Saturn 1B suborbital test with mock payload)

I'm planning to run AS-202 (Saturn 1B orbital engine tests) and Apollo 1 (Saturn IB with CSM mk1 onboard electrical tests) today.

I'll be skipping Apollo 2 and 3 in favor of missions using my Viking inspired probe.  The plan is to test its heat shield and atmospheric landing tools (intended for Mars) at earth and then test the Viking Lander's systems with an Antarctica landing.  I honestly don't know if it will have the TWR it needs for a powered landing on Earth.  Viking 2 will be headed to the Moon.

Last on my list to try to get done before I open a mission report page will be Apollo 4 and 5 (Earth Orbit and then Moon fly by of an unmanned Saturn V with the CSM (But no LEM)

Edit:  I decided to redesign my LEM because I wanted to try to make it look more faithful to the real - funky - one.  I'm not completely happy with it.

Delta V is fine, Power consumption is fine.  The IVA's clip a little despite taking up more physical space that the Mk 2 IVA though oddly they behave better overall if I clip them forward a bit.  It is stable in flight, balanced RCS, and leave an intact descent stage behind in a way I'm very pleased.

First image shows the airlock and ladder and how the LEM looks on decent.  the second shows the Pilot's guidance window along with the Ascent stage.

Lastly it does fit in the adapter code from Space Y that I'm using.  Its a bit taller than my old LEM design leaving the full Saturn a bit taller too - but it works.  I tested its fuel consumption and use in an ALT-12 orbit in the engineering save and the Decent stage can land with 1/6th fuel remaining (allows for some finess targeting a specific LV) and the Decent orbiter attained a low lunar orbit with a similar fuel margin.

Due to something having broken my normal fuel cells this is using M.O.L.E. monoprop fuel cells.  They are just powerful enough to recharge while at rest - but powering up everything (SAS) still drains the batteries.  Luckily it also has at least 8 hours of emergency power with the fuel cells off.  Food and Water alowance will made at most 2 days, probably less but this LEM is not intended for long duration missions.

o9iycw.jpg

2utrubk.jpg

Edited by loch.ness
Added details for a LEM prototype

• 2 years later...

Hi, being so new here I may not have an idea if this is an ok question or in the right spot. Is the Apollo Applications Program still alive?

I found it here...

I see that it is a very old thread and may not be supported. As my name suggests, I would love to start to plan this type of KSP event and to at least have that awesome badge in my signature some day in the future. Everything about this challenge is so exciting to me. I still have a vision of 2 Kerbals stepping out onto the moon....er no Mun!

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Last entry was 2017, but the author is still around, so go for it

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Why not ask in the thread for the challenge, @Saturn5tony? Oh wait, you did, since I merged the threads. :)

Thanks guys, ok now where did I put my Saturn V reference manual! The plans have been started! Woooot!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.