The Apollo Applications Program: 1.0 Edition

EDIT: I'm no longer actively maintaining this thread, but you're welcome to attempt the challenge anyway.

Go check out Bluedog Design Bureau for historical rocket parts including Saturn bits! Too lazy to link, but google is always your friend.

There hasn't been an Apollo-Style challenge in quite some time so I figured, especially with all the new players around, and with the release of a new version, it was time to make a new one.

Apollo_17_The_Last_Moon_Shot_Edit1.jpg

The Apollo Program is arguably one of humankind's greatest feats. The Saturn V rocket took men to the surface of the Moon. But it wasn't supposed to end at Apollo 17. There was a plan for the Apollo Applications Project, a program that would use Apollo-Saturn hardware for more exploration.

This challenge has a few simple steps.

Step 1: Construct Hardware

You must have three rockets for the AAP ARM.

-Saturn IB

-Saturn V

-Saturn INT-21 (Optional)

-Saturn MLV Series. Build at least one of the latter four designs. (Optional)

-Nova Rocket. (optional) Alternate Links: 1 2 3

There's pretty much enough designs for the Nova that you can make your own, provided it uses some of you Saturn/Apollo hardware. A really good design that I couldn't find a picture of was using four S-IC Stretched boosters.

The S-IVB (third stage) on the Saturn IB and the S-IVB on the Saturn V should(but doesn't have to) be the same subassembly.

interstellar-space-travel-concepts-adrian-mann-1.jpg

Step 2: Apollo Lunar Program

Prove that your spacecraft using Saturn V works as a Lunar Landing System using the Lunar Orbit Rendezvous approach. (CSM and LM, "Apollo Style")

-Apollo 4: Unmanned flight of the Saturn V. Must carry an unmanned boilerplate Command/Service Module and Lunar Module, and it must be the same weight as the full payload. Only go to LEO. This can double as the Saturn V test mission for the first step.

-Apollo 7: First manned flight of the CSM. Must stay in orbit for 3 Kerbin days (18 hours). Launched on Saturn IB

-Apollo 8: First manned Saturn V launch. Fly to the Mun's orbit, orbit 9-10 times, and come home. Must Use Free-Return Trajectory until in the Mun's SOI.

-Apollo 9: First Manned Flight of the LM. Take a Saturn V up with crew in the CM and have two crew transfer to the LM. Fly the LM, testing the Ascent and Descent Stage, and then dock back to the CSM, before flying home.

-Apollo 11-18: Do I really need to explain? Just make sure you use LOR. (No, you DON'T have to do ALL the missions. And yes, I know Apollo stopped at 17, but I need a viable reason for a LLES to be a goal.

-Apollo 13: (Optional) Using the exact same rocket as Apollo 11 or 12, get back home safely with no Kerbals in the main Command Module (until re-entry), and the Service Engine must be turned off.

a12_ls3_lg.gif

Step 3: Apollo Applications Program

There are several AAP Projects, you must do at least one. (Add 20 points for each additional mission)

-Munar Base: Using only Apollo Hardware with minimal modification, create a base on the Munar Surface. The payload to the Munar Surface may be new, but the delivery method to the Lunar Surface must use Apollo/Saturn Hardware. It is here that either Earth-Orbit Rendezvous or the Saturn MLV concepts will become incredibly useful.

-MOLAB: Using two Saturn V Launches, Bring a Giant Pressurized Rover to the Mun. Then bring the Apollo-Mission to the Mun, landing very near the MOLAB.

-Eve/Duna Flyby: Using Apollo Hardware, go on a flyby and return mission to either Duna or Eve.

-Skylab: Using a modified Saturn V, put a Workshop into orbit. The Apollo Telescope Mount must use a Lunar Module Ascent Stage-Based design.

-ASTP: Rendezvous with a Soyuz spacecraft using a docking adaptor in place of the LM in the Saturn IB fairing.

-Asteroid Redirect Mission: Redirect an asteroid using only hardware used previously in the Apollo Program. You may use hardware from ASTP, AAP, or ALM to pull this off.

zalssbas.jpg

Goals

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Asparagus-Staged Rocket. -45

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Use Real Solar System. Multiply your final score by (2(sqrt[10]))

- Use 6.4:1 Scale Kerbin (Or some other large rescale). +50

- Redirect Asteroid in Solar orbit. +10

- Redirect Asteroid using crew. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10

- Include Lunar Landing Escape System (And test it in a quicksave-simulation) on Apollo 11-18 +7

- Include Lunar Subsatellite on Apollo 11-18.+5

- Career Mode Bonus: get as much science as you can in the mission without landing in more than one spot per mission.

- Kerbal Dies -50 per Kerbal

- Redirect Asteroid while in Solar Orbit. +10

- Redirect Asteroid with crew. +10

- Use Ion Engines -50. (They weren't invented yet.)

- Stock. +20 (Use only stock parts)

- Launch Escape System. +5

- *Use MechJeb autopilot -10 for each flight (Using it for information is okay)

- Use any Atomic/Nuclear Rockets -20 (You'd need to seriously increase funding to the Rover Program, and that'd detract from the AAP Program!

- Use stretchy-parts/procedural parts. (not including fairings) -75 when not in RSS or rescaled Kerbin

- Have a fuel processing plant on the Munar base. +20

- Use fuel plant on Mun in some way for further missions +25

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

- Use a Life Support mod +26

- Fly a mission to Minmus using Apollo/Saturn hardware. +30

p20016d11g100001.jpg

Super Manley Kerbanaut Mode (creativity encouraged here)

- Land and return from Duna, using Apollo-Saturn hardware. +65

- Crewed flyby of all Joolean Moons +90

-- Include a landing +45

- Crewed flyby of all Sarnus Moons (Outer Planets Mod) +120

-- Include a landing +45

- Crewed flyby of all Urlum Moons (Outer Planets Mod) +160

- Crossover Challenge Super-Bonus:

-- Complete a Jool-Five mission. +260

-- Complete an Eve Rocks mission. +330

- Crewed Eeloo Landing/Return. +65

- Crewed Dres Landing/Return. +50

- Crewed Moho Landing/Return. +85

- Impress Me [points determined from how impressed I am.]

jmXTLvp.gif

Your score will not be recorded unless you list your actual score along with the post that finishes a tier. Score adds up between tiers. From now on I ask that if you would like to be put on the leaderboard, you must PM me. Otherwise I have to go through the thread and I might miss something or mix something up.

Leaderboard

Tier 1: Completed Normal Apollo Program

-Name Nameson, 420 points.

-Bengee10, 125 points.

-Jonboy, 90 points.

-Norcalplanner, 117 points.

-WH40krules, 90 points.

-B-STRK, 106 points.

-MailletC, 100 points.

-Daelkyr, 158 points.

Tier 2: Completed Apollo Applications Program

-Name Nameson, 1337 points.

-Jonboy, 150 points.

-Bengee10, 230 points.

-Norcalplanner, 177 points.

-Death Engineering, 216 points.

-MailletC, 100 points

Tier 3: Super Manley Kerbanaut

-Supername Manliness, 42^l332 points

-Jonboy, 215 points

-Death Engineering, 281 points

Have fun! if you have any suggestions for changes, just say so and I shall consider it.

If you have not been placed on the leaderboard and you should be, please either say so in the thread or PM me. I probably just forgot.

jC9OmmT.png Participation Badge, created by Rhomphaia. If you have completed the challenge, you may add this to your signature.

Edited by GregroxMun

Working on it now. I wasn't going to do it until I realized I have mad photoshop skills. I made that Jupiter/Apollo picture.
LOL It happens. I might do a Apollo 11 or 13. Whatever I decide on.

- - - Updated - - -

Working on it now. I wasn't going to do it until I realized I have mad photoshop skills. I made that Jupiter/Apollo picture.

http://i.imgur.com/tAesWJ0.jpg

How's this?

If you are a super-manley kerbanaut, I will custom-make a badge.

I likey...

Can I suggest you add a goal for using only fuel cells for power generation? (Only for the normal Apollo Program)

Edit: Also, for the Super Manley Kerbanaut challenges, does using Apollo/Saturn hardware mean that you can only use craft designed for the Normal Apollo and Apollo Applications goals? Or could you, for instance, modify the original Lunar Module for landing and Ascending from Duna by adding parachutes and fuel?

Edited by Jonboy

Nice one, Gregrox. There is a small thing that bugs me withe the stock parts, though ; a proper Apollo landing requires two kerbonauts to land, but the 1-man capsule resembles the proper Landing Module capsule much more closely. I know it's no biggie, but aesthetics matter a lot for me ; if we're going Apollo 11 style, we're doing it properly dammit!

I would suggest alllowing the ALCOR capsule, but that beast is wayyyyy over Apollo -program technologies :P

Also, maybe you want to make your stock parts only rewards a bit more flexible. If you don't want to add a bonus for the gorgeous KW Rocketry parts (you can't get any closer to Saturn LVs than that unless using a dedicated Apollo Program mod), you should at least add bonuses for TAC-LS users (it would help to better replicate Apollo 13 too) or CAS users (DYI LESS strapped on the side of the Lunar Module anyone?)

Edited by Coga19000

Can I suggest you add a goal for using only fuel cells for power generation? (Only for the normal Apollo Program)

Edit: Also, for the Super Manley Kerbanaut challenges, does using Apollo/Saturn hardware mean that you can only use craft designed for the Normal Apollo and Apollo Applications goals? Or could you, for instance, modify the original Lunar Module for landing and Ascending from Duna by adding parachutes and fuel?

You can modify the craft as much as you want for Super Manley mode as long as it still feels Apollo-y. Not a great description, sure, but as I said, I encourage creativity. Also, good idea on that fuel cell goal.

You can modify the craft as much as you want for Super Manley mode as long as it still feels Apollo-y. Not a great description, sure, but as I said, I encourage creativity.
Awesome, I'll try to keep the modifications to a minimum to reduce R&D costs. One other question, I'm assuming folks can post their progress as they go along and add the new points to their total? That way we don't have to complete 20 missions before we can start sharing our progress/scoring.

One other question, I'm assuming folks can post their progress as they go along and add the new points to their total? That way we don't have to complete 20 missions before we can start sharing our progress/scoring.

Certainly.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest having a Duna landing be included in the non-super manley mode. This was in Von braun's plans from the start.

I thin k he also envisioned a lunar skylab as well.

But they were never originally part of the Apollo Applications Project. I'll think about it.

Well, I never finished my submission for the previous version of this challenge (seen in my current sig), so I'll probably be going at it again.

EDIT: I'l probably go with the plan I've established here, using .90, 6.4x, FAR, and a crapload of parts mods.

Edited by billbobjebkirk

I went ahead and took a shot at the badge. Should be a little better than with the hand-drawn letters. :) Someone will obviously have to resize it for signatures, but here it is in higher quality:

436sGAr.png

Edit: I just finished uploading all the screenshots from the Normal Apollo phase of my program, which I completed today. But it's pretty late so I'll write up my entry tomorrow!

Edited by Jonboy

I've started working on my hardware. I'd already build and tested my Saturn V - so my Saturn IB was reverse engineered from that.

I plan to also add a Saturn Shuttle for the post-Apollo sections. For fun, will write up submission as a Mission report as I go.

Saturn IB (no payload test flight):

386DE66FE99E8EE70CC8732E4996C75A5D945CBD

reached ~ 117x117 orbit with plenty of fuel left. Saturn IVB stage was launched 1/2 empty.

Saturn V: zjwZ4qJ.jpg?1

Remember, the Saturn V actually shut down it's central engine during the first stage burn.

True. It was only cutoff 26 seconds before first stage cutoff though, so it still ran for 142 seconds.

Well, my Saturn IB test launches look promising... At first, I was afraid that I would have to change the engines (There was simply no way the first stage's LV-T30 array would give enough Delta -v to lift the whole Lunar assembly) until I actually read the wiki and found out that it could only lift either the LM or the PARTIALLY FILLED CSM. Whew, was that a relief.

Over the last ten years Kerbals have been shooting various bits and pieces into the realm called "outer space". Despite the rockets being totally unreliable and seeming to explode every other mission, it was decided it was time for the fledgling "space program" to launch Kerbals into the heavens. Kerbals have plenty of experience now with falling in circles around Kerbin (something scientists insist is called "orbiting") in tiny, cramped command pods. They've even docked two spacecraft together in space, and left their pods for Extra-Vehicular Activities. But the Kerbal leaders were concerned that the new Space Program wasn't actually going anywhere other than in circles. The Ascension Program (Kerbals have never heard of Greek gods) was born from a simple dare: send Kerbals to walk on the Mun. For some reason, nobody had thought of it yet, and it seemed barely insane enough to pull off.

3c0f1NFl.png

The Hardware

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Kerbals would have to do something they had never done before: design reliable, safe rockets to perform clearly stated goals. After years of careful revision and testing, under the direction of rocket scientist of Wernher von kerman, three main designs were created:

Sarnus IB

As the (many) bugs were being ironed out of the huge rocket that would land Kerbals on the Mun, it was determined that a smaller, more sane rocket was needed to test the Command/Service Module and the upper stage of the rocket that would become known as the Sarnus V. Includes a launch escape system.

Sarnus V

The Sarnus V was, at the time of its inception, the largest and most powerful rocket ever created. It carries the Command/Service Module and the Munar Excursion Module into Kerbin orbit, before the upper stage sends it on its way to the Mun. Includes launch escape system. Barf bags not included.

Sarnus Modified Launch Vehicle

Although they haven't actually built one yet (and have no idea how they would go about it if they wanted to), the eggheads at Kerbal Space Program think they can eventually strap four solid rocket boosters on the side of the bottom two stages of a Sarnus V and get a rocket that can haul 110 tons into orbit.

Command/Service Module

This is the main home and means of propulsion for the three-Kerbal crew once the Sarnus V hauls them into orbit. It has a service engine for Munar orbit insertion and Munar ejection burn, RCS for reaction control and docking, and fuel cells in case the crew runs low on juice. The bottom part (the Service Module) is jettisoned before reentry so that the top part (the Command Module) can return the Kerbals home safely.

Munar Excursion Module

This ungainly-looking lander will allow two of the Kerbals to engage in a "controlled" descent and landing on the Munar surface. After surface operations are complete, the Ascent stage lofts the Kerbals back into Munar orbit where they rendezvous with the Command/Service Module.

The Munar Roving Vehicle

The Munar Roving Vehicle (also called the "Mun Buggy") is a light, high-tech rover designed to operate under battery power. It provides the Kerbals with increased mobility while performing scientific operations on the Munar surface. Comes with two external command chairs. Warranty void if seatbelts not used.

The Missions

Ascension 4

An "all-up" unmanned test of the Sarnus V rocket. The booster lifted a dummy payload Command/Service Module and Munar Excursion Module into Low Kerbin orbit. While orbit was successfully attained, there were oscillations on launch and problems with the upper stage engines. Fortunately there is time to iron them out, because the next launch will not use a Sarnus V. Overall, the mission provided excellent data on the performance of the new rocket.

Ascension 7

A manned flight of the Sarnus IB rocket to test the capabilities of the CSM in Low Kerbin Orbit. Kermund, Patdock, and Hermy Kerman were lifted successfully by the realiable Saturn IB booster, and spent eleven days testing the systems of the CSM. After the de-orbit burn, the Service Module was discarded and the crew prepared to splash down east of the Kerbal Space Center.

Kermund: Ascension to KSC, how do you read?

KSC: Loud and clear, Ascension.

Kermund: We will not be wearing the helmets on the way down, KSC.

KSC: You are under orders to wear the helmets, Kermund. You'd better have a good explanation for this one.

Kermund: We've been in space for 11 days, and we've all got colds. I don't want to sneeze on my visor.

KSC: Well let's hope you don't all break your necks on splashdown.

Kermund: Thanks, babe.

The Kerbals were fine without their helmets, but the officials at the Kerbal Space Center were very unhappy. They banned Patdock and Hermy from any future flights for going along with Kermund's antics. It turned out that Kermund was planning on retiring anyways, so he got off scot-free. Patdock and Hermy are understandably still mad at him for the whole thing. Still, the boys in Engineering were satisfied with the performance of the CSM, so they recommended the next mission push the boundaries of exploration even farther...

Ascension 8

Jaysef, Keiger, and Milus Kerman were selected to be the first Kerbanauts to orbit the moon. The historic mission was launched on a Sarnus V booster, which pushed the CSM into Low Kerbin Orbit. The half-full third stage performed the Trans-Munar Injection burn, inserting the CSM on a free-return trajectory. The craft would return to Kerbin with no additional burns if there was a need to abort the mission.

Jaysef: Alright, boys. The third stage is detached and we've started the "barbecue roll". That should prevent any issues from uneven thermal radiation.

Keiger: I hate it when you use big words. I feel terrible. I think I'm going to be sick.

Milus: Use the barf bag, I don't want to clean up your zero-g vomit!

Keiger: They don't pack barf bags on the Sarnus V, remember? Cost-cutting measure ... uh-oh ... *barf*

Jaysef: Ascension to KSC, do we have procedures for cleaning zero-g barf?

Milus: Um, it's not just barf. We have a full on bodily fluid assault here, KSC.

Jaysef: This is going to be a long flight.

It was indeed a long flight. The crew had trouble sleeping and made a few stupid mistakes because of it. Fortunately none of them caused any real issues. After performing the first up-close observations of the Munar surface, the Service Engine was ignited for the Trans-Kerbin Injection burn. Just before reentry, the Service Module was discarded, and the Command Module came down over the grasslands on parachutes. (Since Trajectories doesn't work in 1.02, it's pretty tough to ensure a splashdown when you're coming all the way back from the Mun.)

Ascension 9

Hermy, Neilken, and veteran commander Bob Kerman were selected for Ascension 9, a full "dress rehearsal" in Low Kerbin Orbit of the procedures and equipment that would be used in the actual Mun landing. The CSM and MEM were lofted to orbit by a Sarnus V rocket, where the crew performed transposition and re-docking of the CSM to the MEM. This maneuver involved detaching the CSM from the MEM, flipping the CSM around, and mating the top of the CSM to the top of the MEM via the Ascension docking adapters. Then the third stage of the rocket was ditched and the crew entered the MEM to inspect it for damage. Bob and Neilken then undocked the MEM, leaving Hermy to mind the CSM.

Bob: Ascension to KSC, we're undocked and reorienting to burn the Descent Engine. Hermy, please try not to break anything while we're gone. We'll be back in a few hours!

Hermy : If anything, I'm more concerned about Bob taking the MEM on a little joyride.

Neilken: Can we just get this over with? I'm space-sick enough as it is.

Bob: You're gonna love this jolt, then! Descent Engine ignition in three ... two ... one ...

The Descent Engine successfully boosted the MEM to a higher orbit, where the two kerbanauts circularized. The engine had worked perfectly, and the Descent Stage was ditched, leaving only the Ascent Stage to rendezvous with the CSM. That engine also performed nominally, allowing the crew to redock with the CSM and transfer over before dumping the tiny ascent stage. After several more orbits, the deorbit burn was performed, the Service Module was jettisoned, and the crew parachuted down to Kerbin's coasts. (I can't even hit the water from LKO :( ) The boys at mission control were sure that they would soon be ready for the real thing.

Ascension 11

As usual the crew for Ascension 11 was chosen randomly from a pool of experienced candidates ... wait a minute, how the hell is Jebediah on the flight roster? He must have pulled some strings, or else he's one lucky punk. Aldry, Jebediah, and unfortunately-named Billy-Bobzon Kerman were boosted to orbit on the reliable Sarnus V, the third stage successfully inserted the CSM and MEM on a free-return trajectory, after which transposition and redocking was performed and the third stage was ditched. The orbital insertion was executed on the dark side of the Mun, and the time for landing was near.

After wishing the Jeb and Aldry good luck, Billy-Bobzon closed the hatch to the CSM and two two crafts were separated. The landing sight, near the equator at the bottom ridge of the Northeast Crater, was packed with craters, requiring Jeb to manually maneuver to find a landing spot. With a jolt, the two became the first Kerbals to land on the surface of the Mun! Mission Control was going wild, along with everyone watching on their TVs at home. Jeb and Aldry flipped a coin in the Low Munar gravity to determine who would be the first to set foot on the surface. Jeb won (don't tell anyone, but it was his one-sided coin), and suited up for EVA.

Jeb: The hatch is open. I can see the Munar surface. I am descending down the ladder now.

Aldry: What the hell ...

Jeb: Uh, KSC. We have a problem.

KSC: What is the issue, Jeb?

Jeb: Somebody forgot to install the ladder on the MEM, guys. I'm just going to jump out, should be fine.

KSC: Uh, negative Jeb. We need to review our procedures and get back to you in maybe an hour on a safe way to descend ...

Jeb: Screw that, I'm already on the surface. This is awesome!

Aldry joined him soon after he deployed the Munar Roving Vehicle to the surface. The two grinned uncontrollably at the magnificent desolation of the surface. They planted a flag, and prepared to take the rover to the lip of a nearby crater. a kilometer or so away. Peering over the edge, Jeb thought he saw a strange rock formation on the other side.

Jeb: See that Aldry? Something's glimmering to the east...some kind of monument or monolith!

Aldry: We're low on batteries as it is. We can't go check it out.

Jeb: I gotta come back and figure out what that is.

Aldry: There's no way you're getting on another Ascension mission.

Jeb: That may be true, but the eggheads back at Mission Control are already talking about "Ascension Application Missions" after these ones. Maybe even to Eve and Duna. Imagine...

Aldry: Let's just get back to the MEM before the battery runs out, Jeb.

After wrapping up the planned science experiments, the boys grabbed the rock samples jumped gracefully to the Ascent Module door (the mechanic who forgot to install the ladder has already been fired :P ). The ascent engines pushed them up into Low Munar Orbit, where they were picked up by a lonely Billy Bobzon. After ditching the Ascent Module, the boys made the Trans-Kerbin Injection burn. Hours later, they reentered Kerbin's atmosphere and parachuted to a hero's welcome ... once the Kerbal Army sends a chopper to pick them up from the desert, that is.

Points (and the Future)

Here's the tally for the Normal Apollo Program goals, as far as I can tell (please correct me if I missed something).

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10

- Stock. +20

- Launch Escape System. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

Total Normal Apollo Program Score: 90

As Jeb mentioned, the boys back at KSC are already developing applications for the Ascension Program hardware for use in further exploration of the Solar System. These missions could extend the Kerbal's reach to other planets and moons, greatly expanding their scientific knowledge and leading to a great Space Age. Provided the Kerbal Space Program remains fully funded, that is. Thanks for reading, and thanks to GregroxMun for an awesome challenge!

Future Ascension Program Reports: Mun Base and Molab - Eve Flyby - Duna Flyby & Landing

Edited by Jonboy

That was brilliant! I loved your Sarnus rockets, and the storytelling was great. I can't wait to see more! Speaking of more, it is a bit hidden away, but unlike Earth, Kerbin has more than one moon that might be of interest to another mission, maybe using a stripped down Sarnus rocket. :wink:

Jonboy, that's awesome! An excellent replication if the Apollo Program indeed - and yet so Kerbal on its style!

Well, I am currently encountering two problems. First, I can't remember how to take screenshots :-P And secondly, I'm not sure how to establish even fuel flow between clipped fuel tanks (the past clipping is for aesthetic purposes, really!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.