Mk3 Expansion - [KSP 1.12x] Version 1.6 [10/5/21]

What about a Mark 2 end-cap that merges flat with a surface, like the angled aerocones? The idea being to create an endpiece that radially attaches to a Mark 3 fuselage, or to a rocket (so you can radially mount the nuke engines on)

@ObsessedWithKSP; Is something like these RCS blister pods what you had in mind?

PMoWiAz.png

@CptRichardson; Radial aerodynamic Mk2 engine mount? Should be fairly easy.

@ DavidBowman; I did save the model, so I don't see why not. I'd have to make an IVA for it, though.

@Zutaca; They would also work great for stations. Sure, I can do that.

Something like that, yeah.. Looking at them though, making them rectangular to fit in with the sides of the Mk2 might look a bit nicer (somewhat similar shape to the B9 spotlights with the cover (I can get a picture if you don't know the ones I mean), but continuing the Mk2 slope). Or something that can be slotted in line with one of the chines and not look out of place.

Idea: Literally expanded Mark 2. Split vertically down the centerline length so as to insert a flat across 1.25 meter section in between with a variety of different fillings.

Shielded Engine Mount, double width cargo bay, retro engine system for landing, drill bay system that lowers the drill down from inside the hold, etc. Might also provide a much higher lift rating, like one of the large wings.

@CptRichardson;That's sort of moving out of scope of mk2 pieces. One one hand, I'd like to stay with the mk2 form, on the other, I am doing a parts pack to expand the mk2 form and what can be done with it. Hmmmm... I'll think about it.

@ObsessedWithKSP; I've made one further RCS block - a rectangular trapezoid shaped one designed to continue the slope of mk2 fuselages and seamlessly fit on the sides of a mk2 fuselage where the black stripe is. Its less aerodynamic than the blisters, but can be used instead of the chine pieces.

@Gryphorim; I had an idea originally for a sort of bomber-esque observation/high visibility mk2 cockpit/mk2 cupola thing. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt that idea for rover use as well.

Edit: Though I'd try my hand at a service bay:

Z3GyfeO.png?1

A work in progress. the idea was to have an easily accessible compartment for stowage, with the central column holding Monoprop tanks and batteries.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

Edit: Though I'd try my hand at a service bay:

http://i.imgur.com/Z3GyfeO.png?1

A work in progress. the idea was to have an easily accessible compartment for stowage, with the central column holding Monoprop tanks and batteries.

Nice, but a bit big IMO. I think it should be at most half the size of a cargo bay. Actually, the Mk2 system could use some half length peices in general.

Edit: When I said cargo bay, I did mean short cargo bay.

Edited by temporalExile

No offense, but I have to agree. I'm not sure what it was that struck me when I first saw it, duck? penguin? somehow it seems too 'cute' and not quite mean enough to be an SR71... maybe the angle of the canopy? perhaps it's a little too far forward, or the part slightly too short overall?

Either way, they're both miles better than anything I could make :D

Edited by steve_v

On another note, there are some parts that don't play nice with FAR, probably because:

grep -R ModuleLiftingSurface *
Aero/EngineShroud/part.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
Aero/Chines/Short.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
Aero/Chines/Long.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
Aero/Chines/End.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
FuelTank/HypersonicNose/part.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
FuelTank/Nosecap/part.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
FuelTank/Inverter/part.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface
FuelTank/SpadeTail/part.cfg: name = ModuleLiftingSurface

Not sure where the requisite MM patches belong though, here or distributed with FAR like everything else.

I was that smart guy with NTR temperature distribution. :P

Your NTR has too small throat-to-nozzle ratio. In other words, for your reactor and throat teh nozzle should have like 4x the diameter, and thrust should be on order of 250kN.

I know that would make the nozzle larger than the rest of the part, so I'-m suggesting you to make it have a diameter just a little bit smaller than the center part diameter, and scale the reactor down.

@Vitasalato; Remove the DRE patch in Mk2Expansion/patches

Also, the Blackbird cockpit has been reworked:

tP8eiAN.png

Changed it to have a 1.25m node on the front and got rid of the crazy large windows. Its an improvement, but feels like its still missing some je ne sais qui.

Not looking forward to the IVA.

No offense taken, and thanks for the feedback. The SR-71 'pit -it does look a bit short, and the windows should probably be smaller; it will need more work before I'm satisfied with it.

IMO it did look pretty good, not SR-71-alike, but it does look good. Maybe a different window set and imo it would look like a great cockpit.