tajampi

[1.2.2] Engine Lighting (1.5) The ToXik-yogHurt update (19 November)

324 posts in this topic

Full credit goes to ToXik-yogHurt for the latest update!

Engine Lighting

Now Real Fuels compatible

A simple mod that adds lighting effects to all engines!

And now it also adds effects to all your decouplers!

This mod adds lighting effects to all engines on the game (and most modded ones!)

Light intensity is calculated from thrust and engine power, so the Mainsail will emit much more light than the Ant engine!

Videos by TinyPirate & GrunfWorks!

Some Images:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Downloads:

This mod is up on CKAN! Search for "EngineLighting"!

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/272/Engine Lighting

Source Code (Github): https://github.com/tatjam/KSP-EngineLight (From before 1.5 update, will update it soon)

Source Code (Github): https://github.com/ToXik-yogHurt/EngineLightUnofficial (1.5 update)

Alternative Download (Github): https://github.com/tatjam/KSP-EngineLight/releases

Installation:

Simply place the contents of the "GameData" folder inside the zip file into your game's GameData folder.

Remember to update Module Manager.

I recommend installing RealPlume for the real experience!

Known Issues:

• High power engines sometimes light planets up from space (only in map view?)  [Fixed in 1.5.0 by ToXik-yogHurt]
  • MiniAVC download will link you to the now offline Kerbalstuff... (It will still check for updates correctly) [Fixed in 1.4.3]

Update Plan: (Note: Stuff may change)

• 1.5.9 (Really Real RealFuels) [0%]
    • Jittery light when engine is unstable
    • Solid fuel rockets make more light than liquid engines
    • (Maybe) Certain propellants make more light than other
    • -- All these features MAY require a Real Fuels API--

• 1.6  (Config Edition) [0%]
    • Toolbar button and config window [0%]
    • Global settings taken away from ModuleManager parts (You will still be able to manually patch single engines) [0%]
    • Optinal Vertex-Light mode (Better perfomance, less effects) [0%]
    • (Optional) Lens flares [0%]

Feedback is welcome!

Full credit to ToXik-yogHurt for his amazing work on the 1.5 version!

Cheers! :D

Edited by tajampi
Updated github links
46 people like this

Another "Why is this not Stock Mod" thx! downloading :)

Awesome to see someone answered that request so quickly. Looks great.

wonderfully simple and simply wonderful mod. this is a stayer

This is one of those mods that I come across and I'm like

How did I not realize I was missing this!

And finally another reason to launch at night

Will this be CKAN compatible?

I thought that after launchpad smoke and touchdown dust effects there was nothing more I could want. I was wrong, this looks great! Is the color in any way affected by which exhaust FX the engine is running?

And finally another reason to launch at night

Will this be CKAN compatible?

As it says in the OP:

This mod is avaible on CKAN! Search for "EngineLighting"! (Not yet up on CKAN)

Hope that helps!

As it says in the OP:

Hope that helps!

sorry super tired and running on very lil sleep at a fire camp

Downloaded. Good job.

I haven't tried it yet, but based on your pictures, is it always the same color light? Some engines produce a blue flame like the one in your picture, wouldn't that be blue light?

Edited by Alshain
1 person likes this

Holy moley, I never knew I wanted this until you made it get in my gamedatarightnowomg

looks really good, but the light clips through the model and lights up parts that should not be, as they are in the shadow of the light.

This is a really great mod thank you very much :D I realize now that I have never noticed the lack of lightning the engines should provide :P

Awesome ^^ i just wish i could stack visuals ontop of all my my mods :( without memory crashes.

Thanks for the feedback :D

About the colors, i will try to implement some kind of color changing to blue when you approach space!

I sadly, can't do much about the light clipping, as enabling shadows lags a lot... (maybe an option)

Cheers! :D

Looks like a replay of the movie "Sunshine"

Well its actually not that bad, but I'd tune down the overall effects to about a 10% of the actual power, subtle is better and more realistic, specially when you've got some engine clusters, since it seems the lighting from the engines stacks.

Well its actually not that bad, but I'd tune down the overall effects to about a 10% of the actual power, subtle is better and more realistic, specially when you've got some engine clusters, since it seems the lighting from the engines stacks.

Have you ever been to a real night launch? I have, when that shuttle went up it might has well have been daytime and I was miles away. Subtle may be better for the game, but don't call it realistic.

1 person likes this

Have you ever been to a real night launch? I have, when that shuttle went up it might has well have been daytime and I was miles away. Subtle may be better for the game, but don't call it realistic.

It's more that the lighting in the game isn't the same as in real life. I've been a shuttle night launch as well and it is so bright it's like watching a sunrise, but it doesn't actually light up the shuttle itself the same way the game lights the spacecraft with point lights. The shuttle is pretty evenly lit because all of the light on it is coming from reflections off the ground and diffused light from the exhaust.

STS-88_launch.jpg

I know, but this mod doesn't do that anyways, all it does is lighting the parts itelf and the effect its too strong to simulate actual light refraction. What you say would imply some kind of ambient light modification when the engines are on, which would be cool btw but not the topic I was talking about.

See what I meant in this comparison:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/STS-116_Launch_%28KSC-06PD-2750%29_cropped.jpg

http://a.pomf.se/popmwq.jpg

Edit: Essentialy, what Why485 says :)