[1.5.1] Engine Lighting (1.5.1) Little Config Update (13 October)

tajampi

Can you make RCS thrusters and maybe decouplers use these lighting effects?

It's not really planned, but may on the future :) Pizzaoverhead has already made a mod that adds lighting effects to RCS!

Does this only work for engines that use liquidFuel? I.e will CryoEngine's LqdHydrogen Engines have the effect?

Great Looking Mod

BTW

It should work with anything using SQUAD's ModuleEngines and ModuleEnginesFX (Almost every engine)

Almost finished 1.1, including working multipliers, configable colors, and per-part configurations.

Having some issues with ModuleManager right now, it's the first time i use it and i'm doing "complex" stuff :P

EDIT: Yep, the next version will include patches for Jet Engines so they are less bright, might be out in a hour or so

EDIT2: Found what was causing the issue! Expect the release in less than expected!

EDIT3: Not really... Release may delay.

Cheers! :D

Edited by tajampi
Too many edits >_>

Just created you a pull request to remove the duplicate code caused by ModuleEnginesFX and ModuleEngines. Searching for ModuleEngines gets you ModuleEnginesFX too. So you don't need to have literally the same code twice :).

Oh thanks! Can't implement it right now, but will implement it on 1.2 (Coming tomorrow)

I have just released 1.1!!

Coming in 1.2:

- Only one module for ModuleEngine and ModuleEngineFx (Thanks SpaceTiger!)

[To add more]

Just thought you should know this isn't on CKAN, although the OP says it is. I love the lighting, keep it up!

Copy and paste from OP = This mod is avaible on CKAN! Search for "EngineLighting"! (Not yet up on CKAN)

On that note theres a spelling mistake it should say "available on CKAN"

Probably best to exclude parts that have FSplanePropellerSpinner module. Come to think of it, any engine that uses IntakeAir probably doesn't need this.

Right! I took off with my little twin-jet and couldn't figure out why my landing lights were so bright. It was the engines all a-glow! :D Jets could certainly produce some light, but certainly not that much.

That being said, what an awesome start to this mod.

[edit] -- Latest version removes the jet glow! :)

Edited by Beetlecat
Oops! Wasn't using 1.1

Hey there - nice mod, it looks quite pretty. I have a request - is there any way you could not use a :Final to apply your MM patches? The visuals are conflicting with my own light-based visuals, so I'd like to remove them from a few of my parts. Your use of :Final means that I can't really do this. Thanks!

looks really good, but the light clips through the model and lights up parts that should not be, as they are in the shadow of the light.

Same comment by me.

Suggestion to OP: to avoid lighting parts of the rocket that have no line-of-sight to the light, replace the single omni directional light with a short range omni directional light (to light the engine and underside of the rocket) + a long range wide angle (180 degrees) spot light pointing downwards.

Just thought you should know this isn't on CKAN, although the OP says it is. I love the lighting, keep it up!

I don't know why it's not uploading to CKAN, will try to fix it today :)

Hey there - nice mod, it looks quite pretty. I have a request - is there any way you could not use a :Final to apply your MM patches? The visuals are conflicting with my own light-based visuals, so I'd like to remove them from a few of my parts. Your use of :Final means that I can't really do this. Thanks!

I will fix the ":Final" on next release (Possibly out today), it was there to work with HotRockets. As HotRockets changes most ModuleEngines to ModuleEnginesFX it was confusing my mod. On next release the mod will not care about Engines being FX :)

I've been messing around in Unity, and found a nice way to simulate Global Illumination. Using Area lights. The problem is that i will need only one Area Light per vessel, and it will need a non-partbased class, so it may take a bit to implement. Maybe 1.3 will implement it!

Cheers!

Version 1.2 is up!

Changelog:

- Fixed duplicate code (Now only 1 patch!) Thanks SpaceTiger!

- Deleted ":Final" from the ModuleManager patches (Compatibility)

NOTE: CKAN is still updating the version, if you want to quickly upgrade use the download (It should be updated in 10 minutes or so, check for version "1.2")

Edited by tajampi
"patch"

Version 1.2 is up!

Changelog:

- Fixed duplicate code (Now only 1 patch!) Thanks SpaceTiger!

- Deleted ":Final" from the ModuleManager patches (Compatibility)

NOTE: CKAN is still updating the version, if you want to quickly upgrade use the download (It should be updated in 10 minutes or so, check for version "1.2")

Thanks for the update...were there any changes to the Jet Engine/Prop lighting? As you know, even though jet engines DO produce light...they don't emit it measurably unless the afterburner is active. Thanks for the hard work!

Edited by jstnj

For now jet engines simply don't emit light (They look a bit bad, as in stock KSP jet engines don't have any kind of flame), but you can easily edit them in the config!

Here is the code for making them emit a BIT of light:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]
{
@MODULE[tjs_EngineLight]
{
@lightPower = 0.05
}

}

Place it over the already existing Jet engine patch. Place it over this, overwriting:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]]
{
!MODULE[tjs_EngineLight]{}

}

If it does not works tell me, i have not tested it, but it should work.

Cheers! :)

Edited by tajampi
"patch"

For now jet engines simply don't emit light (They look a bit bad, as in stock KSP jet engines don't have any kind of flame), but you can easily edit them in the config!

Here is the code for making them emit a BIT of light:

If it does not works tell me, i have not tested it, but it should work.

Cheers! :)

To be honest...I would rather they NOT emit light, but when I was using your v1.0...that wasn't the case...no worries!

What would that have to do with anyone tweaking engines ? he is just adding MODULE[EngineLightFX] if it's missing, Not stopping you from changing anything in MODULE[ModuleEngines*] ?

I meant tweaking certain engine parts not the engine modules. But I see that the Finals have now been removed. The only issue there is if someone adds an engine module in an MM pass after engine lights pass. Actually, since this doesn't use FOR[EngineLight] it defaults to FIRST, so any engines added or modified by MM may have incorrect or no lights.

Also he isn't adding it if it's missing, he just adding it.So I still recommend what I said previously, using FINAL picks up all engines correctly and the !MODULE[tjs_EngineLightFX] stops you from overwriting things (actually not overwriting but adding a new module) if someone makes their own part specific change as it only adds it if it is missing.

Edited by futrtrubl

To be honest...I would rather they NOT emit light, but when I was using your v1.0...that wasn't the case...no worries!

The jets themselves glow a bit on the inside with the shader, but that would be the only real "light" effect, typically (except for some afterburner flame)?

Would it be possible to override the ModuleEnginesFX class to be able to bring in the fxOffset? This could go a long way to making these configs work better with matching the FX source point. For example, all of the engines in my WIP mod need a massive -Y offset to get the FX in the right place. Having this info be able to help define the light source might be useful.

This repo might be useful, as it demonstrates overrides to the ModuleEnginesFX class: https://github.com/KSP-RO/SolverEngines

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.