[1.12.x] Connected Living Space v2.0.2.0 (12 Feb 2022)

Papa_Joe

@DStaal: the way of logic in case of text next to button differs from dev to dev - there is no common style.

Some mods let it say that the actual state is shown and you have to click to get the other state(s).
Other mods let it say "it's this what's written next to the button when you click the button".

In the case of checkboxes, like in settings UI windows of mods, it's often that the text next to the checkbox shows the current state - the text is dynamic.
When you check the checkbox, the text changes.

On first approach I always thought the text is static and when the box is not checked than the state is not what's written next to it but the logical counterpart - like back in the days in common software.

32 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@DStaal: the way of logic in case of text next to button differs from dev to dev - there is no common style.

Some mods let it say that the actual state is shown and you have to click to get the other state(s).
Other mods let it say "it's this what's written next to the button when you click the button".

In the case of checkboxes, like in settings UI windows of mods, it's often that the text next to the checkbox shows the current state - the text is dynamic.

On first approach I always thought the text is static and when the box is not checked than the state is not what's written next to it but the logical counterpart - like back in the days in common software.

It does change from dev to dev - but in this case it appears to have changed from the last revision.  I haven't checked, but I believe it's also different from the behavior of the rest of the CLS text buttons.

I'm fairly confident this was unintentional.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 3:12 AM, DStaal said:

Bug report:

In the right-click menu in the VAB (at the very least), for 'CLS Passable' 'No' means it's passable, and 'Yes' means it isn't passable.

Took me a while to figure out what was going on there. :wink:  (Note this could also be @Bit Fiddler's problem.)

Yes this is indeed part of the problem and I agree 100% it is a bug, or if intentional it should be changed.  as the text in the tweak menu beside the button reads "CLS Passable: No" or "CLS Passable: Yes"   this implies the current state is set to this.

I didn't see this in a quick scan, so I'm asking:

Is there any way this mod would prevent a docking port from working at all?  In other words, I have two ships, each with a Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port Jr on the front.  One vessel is a Mk1 pod, the other is a probe core with the port on the end. 

No obvious issues in the log file, but no matter what I do, these two won't dock together.

This is a 1.2.2 game, with version 1.2.4.2 installed.

Not looking for in-depth help right now, just looking to see if this is something I need to dig into or if I should look somewhere else.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I didn't see this in a quick scan, so I'm asking:

Is there any way this mod would prevent a docking port from working at all?  In other words, I have two ships, each with a Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port Jr on the front.  One vessel is a Mk1 pod, the other is a probe core with the port on the end. 

No obvious issues in the log file, but no matter what I do, these two won't dock together.

This is a 1.2.2 game, with version 1.2.4.2 installed.

Not looking for in-depth help right now, just looking to see if this is something I need to dig into or if I should look somewhere else.

Thanks

Never had that problem when using those versions in my game.  I'm guessing it's someplace else.

7 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

@linuxgurugamer if the ships still don't dock, check the docking ports. I have USI Contruction installed and it happens time and again I mix up / misclick standard an contruction Clamp-O-Trons, which are not compatible. Unfortunately. Just an idea ... :o)

The problem turned out to be a badly put-together vessel. The docking port was actually attached to a node from the fairing rather than a note on the vessel itself.

47 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The problem turned out to be a badly put-together vessel. The docking port was actually attached to a node from the fairing rather than a note on the vessel itself.

Ah I see. Also happened to me quite often until someone pointed me to switch off interstage nodes in procedural fairings. Glad it works now. =)

Great mod. Love having this more formal restriction for my ships. Making single stage landers and ships gets a lot more fun when you have a command pod at the top, a ton of fuel (or other heavy, dense things like reactors/SRUs) and no way to get down. Tons of ladders, or nacelle designs. I've been trying to design my ships this way as a matter of course for a long time without this mod. The mod makes it a lot more fun though.

@Papa_Joe, I know you've got  a list here of specific parts which can't be made passable through the right click options, but just starting to use the mod and I'm noticing one of my common inline parts isn't passable, and it should at least be an option. This is the reaction wheels. By nature (unless they're tiny), they're hollow rings, so really there isn't any reason they shouldn't be passable, at the very least, have it an option. Now, there are some surface mount reaction wheels which probably wouldn't work, but at least the in-line ones should.However, In general, I tend to go by a simple rule: Anything large can probably have a crew-pass through, and in almost all certainly, would. Just like modern ocean ships, a remarkably large volume of the ship is accessible while underway. Areas you never dreamed of. This is complicated by space and pressurization requirements of course. Spacewalking for repairs is always an option in space, but I'd think in most cases, if it's already enclosed, it'd probably be passable. Maybe not nuclear reactors, SRUs, etc. But a 3.75m drone core or battery? Probably.

I know you can't figure out all the minutia of which parts should be tweakable and which shouldn't but aside from your basics 'it's too small', should probably err on the side of letting people tweak it. Maybe something like 1.25m parts are just too small for your head, but parts over a certain size, like 3.75m, probably should have a way to be made passable. Save maybe open girders or other obvious things.

Great work!

Edit: I'm new to this mod, so still learning how things work with this.

Edited by AmpCat

On 6/18/2017 at 2:31 PM, Gordon Dry said:

To me, when a button like that uses a colon, so it says 'CLS Passable: No', that indicates that the current state is 'No'. If it were more a 'what this button does', it should probably read something more like 'CLS Passable' or 'CLS Not Passable'.

Would help with the confusion, I think. I was also very confused and thought the whole thing was goobered up. Why is everything by default not passable? Why when I make them passable, suddenly, nothing's passable! Then it hit me. Button labels are the reverse of what I expected.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blackline said:

Hi, is there a way to disable the hatch-mehcanics completely? I don't like to go through all docking ports just to open hatches.

Add a MM patch to your GameData folder (I suggest creating a patches folder to store your personal patches if you don't already have one - they tend to accumulate over time :wink:) with this content:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingHatch]]:FINAL
{
	!MODULE[ModuleDockingHatch] {}
}

Edit: You can also do it by deleting file GameData/ConnectedLivingSpace/Configs/CLSModuleDockingHatch.cfg but you'll need to remember to re-delete it every time you update this mod when a newer version comes out.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

3 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Add a MM patch to your GameData folder (I suggest creating a patches folder to store your personal patches if you don't already have one - they tend to accumulate over time :wink:) with this content:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingHatch]]:FINAL
{
	!MODULE[ModuleDockingHatch] {}
}

Edit: You can also do it by deleting file GameData/ConnectedLivingSpace/Configs/CLSModuleDockingHatch.cfg but you'll need to remember to re-delete it every time you update this mod when a newer version comes out.

Awesome, thanks. Another file for my personal mm collection ;-)

Btw, what is the intention behind the latch mechanic? Purely to have a more realistic feeling? Does all the air vent out if you forget to close a hatch and decouple (I know it doesn't do in Stock at least)?

47 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Awesome, thanks. Another file for my personal mm collection ;-)

Btw, what is the intention behind the latch mechanic? Purely to have a more realistic feeling? Does all the air vent out if you forget to close a hatch and decouple (I know it doesn't do in Stock at least)?

See the discussion here in the original dev thread:

Are hatches in docking ports supposed to always work or are there mods with incompatibilies?

Actually the "Gemini Nose Docking Mechanism" and the "Agena Docking Port" from BDB let me click "Open hatch", then the button text changes to "Close hatch", but the "Hatch status" is always "Closed" ...

Hi,

I have been enjoying CLS for several months, and it has worked fine until recently. Even though the "Allow Unrestricted Crew Transfer" option is checked, it will not allow such transfers. I have also tried enabling the "Enable Optional Passable Parts" feature, along with the required restart, but no change.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I noticed that KeepFit (and possibly most or all of the mods that use Connected Living Space) have a CLSInterfaces.dll included. In KeepFit's case it is in the folder "GameData/KeepFit".

I think it works, so that is fine, I am just wondering what the most correct way to handle the CLSInterfaces dependency is.

Is the CLSInterfaces.dll supposed to be in there? In the mod folder? Should it be updated occasionally?

• 1 month later...

Hello - had a question on the MM patch for CLSModuleDockingHatch.cfg (Included below)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]:HAS[#referenceAttachNode[*]]]
{
  MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingHatch
		docNodeAttachmentNodeName = #$../MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]/referenceAttachNode$
		docNodeTransformName = dockingNode
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]:HAS[~referenceAttachNode[]]]
{
  MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDockingHatch
		docNodeAttachmentNodeName = none
		docNodeTransformName = dockingNode
	}
}

I'm noticing that this CLS MM code doesn't seem to nicely handle some mods for some specific reason I can't discern. I originally thought it was because of the module: "ModuleDockingNode" not having the property "referenceAttachNode" set, but two of the Squad docking ports (Inline and shielded) seem fine and don't get picked up with this MM.

What's the easiest way to exclude specific single parts from this MM Patch?

I get NRE's for when this patch tries against the mods/parts specifically for
OPT - j_2m_crewDock & j_3m_largeDock
REKT - OTAVcore2
USIExpandingDockingPort (for Malemute)

The only other item I found is that that is in all the above parts list nodeTransformName under ModuleDockingNode.

Stock Mk2 Docking part:  nodeTransformName = dockingNode
Malemute: 		 nodeTransformName = DockingNode
OTAV: 			 nodeTransformName = dockPoint
OPT both use: 		 nodeTransformName = DockingNode

I have to guess that this might be something baked in the the module? I cna't work out why this MM patch fails for these though. Apologies if this ends up not related to CLS other than the CLS MM patch highlighting another mod issue. I only get this when CLS & these mods are installed, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay.

Pinging mod owners for input too: @RoverDude  @K.Yeon @steedcrugeon

Edited by wile1411

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.06.2017 at 9:12 PM, DStaal said:

Bug report:

In the right-click menu in the VAB (at the very least), for 'CLS Passable' 'No' means it's passable, and 'Yes' means it isn't passable.

Took me a while to figure out what was going on there. :wink:  (Note this could also be @Bit Fiddler's problem.)

Yes, me too. Very confusing it is. :confused:

@Papa_Joe, I fixed that at localization file and added Russian localization, but it isn't work for  "Connected Living Space" info-block for parts at VAB.

It's same for "Docking Hatch" info-block. And "Docking Hatch" string absent and .cfg.

Created pull-request

Edited by flart

it seems the inline clamp-o-tron does not have CLS setup.   or if it does I guess something in my install is messing with it.  I built a craft using this part and it is not passable.  I looked through the CLS .cfg files and did not see it in there but there is a lot to look at so I may have missed it , and something else is causing this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Is there any part of CLS that would prevent me being able to pass through in-line parts like the zaltonic cylinder batteries or the fuel tanks? I've been told this restriction doesn't exist in the stock game.

That's pretty much the whole point of the mod.  Kerbals can only pass through parts that are designed for crew movement — they can't punch a hole in the top of a fuel tank and swim through the fuel to reach the bottom.