"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

Good luck with the aerocapture. F5 early, F5 often.

You know, the ratio of F5 presses to F9 holds would be a very informative statistic :) Aerobraking/aerocapture is very interesting in 1.x for lots of reasons. There is of course the possibility of destroying your crew and vessel in stock, but also the more realistic drag/lift model means that different craft could have very different brake/capture altitudes. Fortunately we have AIRBRAKES, AoA, and some other 'control knobs' to adjust on the fly.

Edited by Kuzzter

Lol, love it as always. I noticed you got Wernher's name right this time ;)
Thanks Blue--yeah, I noticed that a few pages back, will update all the old image files at some point.

And hey, everyone please feel free to PM me if you spot an error in spelling, art or continuity--I do aim to create a quality prouct :)

Here's some more--and thanks for all your kind comments and rep, you wonderful, generous people have put me in the famous light green group! :D I'm very grateful, and will try to pay it back with some fanservice. This one's for ol' Shellhead :)

nOAe7Pa.png

NddkAHD.png

Technical note which did not quite fit with the flow of dialogue: I came in without airbrakes, wanting to make sure I would get captured but not land immediately. You can see from the navball pictures that I had a maneuver node set at periapsis as though I was going to burn there to get a 50km orbit. I watched the predicted dV for the maneuver drop as I decelerated. By the time I reached periapsis the ship was captured and less than half the dV was used up, so I knew that I would NOT use up the rest of the maneuver budget and fall suborbital before I got out of atmosphere. So I let the ship rise to about 30km, and at that point felt safe enough to deploy the brakes and bring the top of the orbit down some more.

There. I just saved you about six panels of talking heads :) :) :) :)

Edited by Kuzzter

Well, I wasn't going to post these right away, but since you asked...

http://i.imgur.com/6QuV5yb.png

http://i.imgur.com/Bb0803T.png

...anyone who's been paying close attention to the underside shots will have seen this coming. But I hope I surprised a few of you :)

I caught that in one of the panels on the aerobrake comic. :)

Oh, and, I think your airbrakes are on backward.

f-15_air_brake.jpg

f-15-16.jpg

Also, while looking up pics of this post, I found a interesting airbrake arrangement:

146-200-300-jetliner-boxed_26_ss_l_130215141510.jpg

Nice comic!

Oh, and, I think your airbrakes are on backward.

What? Noooooo! Scrub the mission! Cancel the comic! Arrrgh! No not really :) But lolz I had no idea, ALL my designs have them on the wrong way (see the 'recruiter', Munhopper, etc, etc...). Oh well--I guess I'll mount them whichever way looks better, they seem to work backwards as well as forwards.

Thanks for pointing that out--and glad you like the comic!

Well, you totally got me. I was wondering how Jeb was planning on bringing that behemoth down safely.

That is beautiful!

Thanks 'Hawk! But he's not down yet...

Hahaha! I love their expressions. Two resident badS-es smiling broadly, and two sane kerbonauts looking rightly worried and anxious. Brilliant :D

Thanks--you would not believe how many screenshots I take, just because I think I've caught a glimpse of a reaction I don't have on file yet... and how many of them end up looking exactly the same anyway.

Edited by Kuzzter

Also, while looking up pics of this post, I found a interesting airbrake arrangement:

http://www.simulshop.com/product/146/146-200-300-jetliner-boxed_26_ss_l_130215141510.jpg

Nice comic!

0.o Huh. I don't think I've ever seen body-mounted airbrakes on an airliner before. Even in an airsim. That's roughly how the F16 airbrakes work, though.

8683732280_c9c2740226_k.jpgAir brakes or speedbrakes of a F16 J-512....(13) by John de Grooth, on Flickr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.