[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

I have some models from Multipurpose Colony Modules that I'm reworking. This is definitely not vaporware, I'm in the planning and research stages for the mod. I have to do my homework or else the mod will be a mess.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting the first pieces ready. :)

well then, I'll just jump on the bandwagon and wait patiently for awesomeness to arrive :)

As part of my homework and research, I investigated how to alter the resource abundance for a planet/biome/global setting without requiring me to create a new save. Below are my test results:

Ore abundance before the test:

YkRtP2o.png

Ore abundance after the test:

l8dK12D.png

Bottom line is I can alter the resource abundance without requiring you to reload the game or create a new save. :) What does that mean?

It means I'll have that Gold Digger Portable Mini-Drill available as the first part in Pathfinder very soon. :)

Angel - Just a request, but I'm hoping that you don't go too far with the dangit type of faults and failures that come up. I think Dangit is an awesome program, but I don't use it in all my games. In the same way, I don't use interplanetary launch pads (though I'm thinking of getting into it). I'd love there to be a version or option for Pathfinder that just lets you deploy with KAS and KIS and then stays relatively stable. Call it a dumb-dumb version?

Also, a mild suggestion, color coding of the structures could be helpful. It'd be a quick way of knowing which structure you're looking at from the outside in case you get turned around doing an EVA.

I like the PONDEROSA lettering on the side, but I'm gonna be building these a lot of different places. As a down-the-road idea, it'd be cool to be able to label them differently.

Anyways, just throwing ideas out there. Can't wait to play this, it looks super-good!

Angel - Just a request, but I'm hoping that you don't go too far with the dangit type of faults and failures that come up. I think Dangit is an awesome program, but I don't use it in all my games. In the same way, I don't use interplanetary launch pads (though I'm thinking of getting into it). I'd love there to be a version or option for Pathfinder that just lets you deploy with KAS and KIS and then stays relatively stable. Call it a dumb-dumb version?

Also, a mild suggestion, color coding of the structures could be helpful. It'd be a quick way of knowing which structure you're looking at from the outside in case you get turned around doing an EVA.

I like the PONDEROSA lettering on the side, but I'm gonna be building these a lot of different places. As a down-the-road idea, it'd be cool to be able to label them differently.

Anyways, just throwing ideas out there. Can't wait to play this, it looks super-good!

Not to worry, the "Your Game, Your Choice" aspect of my mods means, in this case, that using Dangit is optional. You'll have a way to opt into Dangit support- or not as you see fit.

Color coding is definitely doable, and lit color coded panels in the dark would be even more helpful. Definitely will add that to the list.

As for labeling, the Ponderosa name is part of the branding, but the model has decal panels already built in. Templates change the panel decals in flight/VAB/SPH as well as add/remove functionality. By creating custom templates you could easily change those decals to your liking. To give you an idea of how this works, download the latest DSEV and play with the FLM series of tanks. the only difference between the tanks and the Ponderosa is that the Ponderosa decals must be square, but they can glow in the dark. Sadly I cannot make non-square decals that also glow in the dark due to a KSP limitation. At least as far as I know...

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Can't wait to test this out. Would any of these structures have mining capabilities for Ore/Karbonite and such?

The Chuckwagon and Conestoga can be configured to hold a variety of different resources including Ore, and a skilled Engineer will be able to reconfigure the Gold Digger to drill for any resource in the biome/asteroid. I might retrofit the Drill-O-Matic with the same ability. In Career mode you will need to unlock the proper tech node first to use the Gold Digger for resource extraction. Please keep in mind that the portable drill pales in comparison to the much larger Drill-O-Matic. Similarly I could see a mini ISRU that you could use. I could also see them turning themselves off at high timewarps to help play balance them. Conceptually they'd be used in a pinch to slowly refuel your craft before moving on...

Edited by Angel-125

I sincerely wish this were MUCH higher on your list of priorities. :)

i already have the best Gemini MOL lab I could wish for, but this... THIS is awesome. I'd put these little colonies on every moon I could reach, if this were available!

i can't wait!

How many plugins this going to use ?

Like MOLE and DSEV, Pathfinder is designed to be stand-alone, so you won't need any additional plugins other than what it will come with. That said, you'll have the option to support other mods like the popular life-support mods depending upon what you want to work with. :)

Sounds good yea like my life-support and that was a given but was more on the line of if and in no bad way have to have roverdudes plugins with yours to get it to work last time one would not work on Linux.

EDIT- And hope you got the bug fixed that made them jump off the ground when reloading.

Edited by Mecripp2

Sounds good yea like my life-support and that was a given but was more on the line of if and in no bad way have to have roverdudes plugins with yours to get it to work last time one would not work on Linux.

EDIT- And hope you got the bug fixed that made them jump off the ground when reloading.

Ah ok. Thanks for your question. :) Well, as I mentioned before, Pathfinder is not intended to be a colony mod, so MKS/OKS isn't a dependency.

Small suggestion - greenhouse window joints look like they are made of tin sticks. The bulging force would be quite large, and glass isn't the strongest material when it comes to bending, so the frame must be more rigid. At least wider. And go inside for a certain amount.

This ratio of plates and beams on edges looks good:

5457840662_43df6ee2e9.jpg

Other than that, I had a feeling like "omg that's what I needed all the time" feeling when I opened the thread.

Edited by sashan

Small suggestion - greenhouse window joints look like they are made of tin sticks. The bulging force would be quite large, and glass isn't the strongest material when it comes to bending, so the frame must be more rigid. At least wider. And go inside for a certain amount.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5457840662_43df6ee2e9.jpg

Other than that, I had a feeling like "omg that's what I needed all the time" feeling when I opened the thread.

It's clearly not glass, since it's inflatable. Kerbin-pressure air on the inside, vacuum on the outside, needs very little support.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5457840662_43df6ee2e9.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. :) The picture on the first post is representative of what you'll see with Pathfinder, but not necessarily the final image. The Ponderosa will be there (slightly altered), and that greenhouse will definitely be going. All in due time of course.

But, enough hype, how would you like to try something new?

Pathfinder 0.1.0: Save My Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqd4VXZmxqw

And Uprising

License: CC-BY-NC SA 4.0

Do you have what it takes to be a prospector? Then step right up and try your luck with the Gold Digger Portable Mini-Drill! Take core samples for science! Analyze the results! Just don't eat the samples.

Download Pathfinder 0.1.0 today!

Edited by Angel-125

Woohoo testing :) There's gold in them there hills :)

EDIT- Your plugin doesn't play nice with AmericanPack from bobcat guessing his BobCatUtils.plugin with any of your mods his rover wheels don't work taking your plugin out fixed it.

EDIT- And still you Multipurpose Colony Modules not working on my Linux.

Edited by Mecripp2

I've no idea why AmericanPack isn't compatible, I don't do anything with rover wheels. Do you have a link to that mod?

Also, I haven't yet updated Multipurpose Colony Modules. That's low priority at the moment.