"Project Mun" - My attempt at The AAP v1.0 Edition Challenge

This thread will be my repository for videos and pictures of my attempt to complete The Apollo Applications Program v1.0 Challenge issued on the forums by GregroxMun. The original thread for the Challenge is quoted below:

I will be attempting this challenge as part of my stock career mode game, so all parts will be dependent on the Science and SpaceBucks I earn in my career. I'm calling this 'Project Mun', and all resources available in my current save will go towards the completion of the challenge.

This is going to be very slow going, my current schedule only allows me to play KSP a few hours a week, and making these videos and screenshots eats into that time somewhat. If you're patient and willing to follow along, I would thank you for your time.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make comments. I welcome any and all feedback!

Signing off,

Chris Maillet

Project Mun is hereby cancelled, due to saved game issues.

Current Score = 100

• Stock. +20 (Use only stock parts.)
  • Launch Escape System. +5
  • Use fuel cells for power generation only. +10
  • Lander stored behind a fairing. +10
  • Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20
  • Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10
  • Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5
  • Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5
  • Include Lunar Subsatellite on Apollo 11-18 +5
  • Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10
  • Career Mode Bonus: get as much science as you can in the mission without landing in more than one spot per mission.

Step 1 - Current Hardware

This section lists all of the hardware I have built and used with a short description. The status of each entry is shown in parenthesis:

• S-1b Block II (Retired)

Analog of the real Saturn 1b which shared one crucial design similarity of which I am inordinately proud.

• S-5 Block I MLV (Design and Testing)

This was the first version of my Saturn 5 analog, and it was so powerful I had to rapidly downsize it.

• S-5 Block II (Retired)

The Block II version was the old workhorse of my Apollo Program, it was only retired when new parts were unlocked.

• S-5 Block III (Active)

The current version of the S-5 with exactly the same performance as the Block II but with far fewer parts.

• CSM Mark 3

The third and final version of my Command Service Module, gradual improvements have been made over it's lifetime.

• MLM Mark 3

My Munar Landing Module has steadily increased it's capabilities while becoming more compact.

• Munar Rover Mark II

I've never seen someone build a Fuel Cell powered Rover, until now anyway.

• MLMSEP

Radially detachable Fuel Cell powered Science Package mounted on the MLM. Makes a good counterbalance to the Rover.

• SkyLab Space Station

My latest piece of hardware, with inspiration drawn from the real SkyLab, including using the dimensions and weight of the S-5's Third Stage.

Step 2 - Apollo Lunar Program Schedule (Complete)

This section lists all of the missions undertaken during Project Mun. Mission Status is shown in parenthesis, and any qualifying statements are made in brackets. There are 25 mission numbers for Project Mun, that should be enough to eventually complete all of the Challenge objectives I care to.

Project Mun Testing and Evaluation Series:

• PM 1 - CSM LKO Flight Test S-1b (Complete) [Disqualified]

[PM-1's Mission Goal was completed on the PM - 3 Flight. That's what happens when I don't read the rules.]

• PM 2 - MLM LKO Flight Test S-1b (Complete)
  • PM 3 - CSM MLM Rendezvous and Docking Test S-1b (Complete)
  • PM 4 - UnKerbaled Flight Test LKO S-5 (Cancelled)

[During the design and testing phase of the S-5 it was discovered to have more performance than expected. The proposed flight tests were cancelled in the face of this new information.]

• PM 5 - Kerbaled Flight Test LKO S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 6 - Munar Insertion and Orbit Test S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 7 - Munar Landing Rehearsal and Review S-5 (Complete)

Project Mun Munar Landing and Development Series: "Normal Apollo Program"

• PM 8 - Munar Landing East Crater S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 9 - Munar Landing Northwest Crater S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 10 - Munar Landing Midlands S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 11 - Munar Landing Highlands S-5 (Complete)
  • PM 12 - Munar Landing Twin Craters S-5 (Complete)

Step 3 - Apollo Applications Program Schedule (In Progress)

The remaining series of missions will work to complete the Apollo Applications Program, which is the main focus of the Challenge for me.

• PM 19 A - SkyLab (Deployed)
  • PM 19 B - SkyLab Crew Transfer (Complete)

[These three Munar Landings are Scheduled to fulfill Career Contracts.]

• PM 13 - Munar Landing Contract (Complete)
  • PM 14 - Munar Landing Contract (Cancelled)
  • PM 15 - Munar Landing Contract (Cancelled)

[These Minmus Missions are now Scheduled.]

• PM 16 - Minmus Landing Greater Flats (Cancelled)
  • PM 17 - Minmus Landing Lesser Flats (Cancelled)
  • PM 18 - Minmus Landing Contract (Cancelled)

[These Mission numbers are being held open for future use, and potential new projects.]

• PM 20 - Mun Mobile Laboratory (Cancelled)
  • PM 21 - Mun Mining Base (Cancelled)
  • PM 22 - Duna Flyby (Cancelled)
  • PM 23 - Duna Transfer and Orbit (Cancelled)
  • PM 24 - Duna and Ike Landing and Return (Cancelled)
  • PM 25 - Eve Flyby (Cancelled)

Step 4 - Super Manley Kerbonaut Mode

Duna Landing and Return (Cancelled)

Edited by Guest
Updating and Re-Formatting the Status Report.

It just occurred to me you could use that Saturn 1 rocket to launch a "Pegasus" satellite. Basically, it's a boilerplate Command/Service Module, but on the inside is a scientific satellite that would be released from it's CSM-shaped fairing. You could use it for those satellite contracts.

S-1b Third Stage Design and Testing

My current tech tree doesn't support any real progression yet, I'll need to unlock at least five more tech nodes in order to get the program off the ground. The best I can do right now is begin building my analog of the Saturn 1b rocket.

The third stage has passed all preliminary testing (with a few hiccups along the way), and is certified for flight. I am not using Kerbal Engineer, or any mods at all, so all calculations will be done by me, by hand, with an electronic calculator.

(Did you think I'd do all that math with pencil on paper? I don't have 14 years to do this challenge! :D)

Unless you're interested in watching basic rocket design and testing process, go ahead and skip the video.

Here are a few screenshots:

I started with the name 'Project Kerpollo', but given that all my project names to date have been taken from planets and moons (Moho and Eve), I changed the name to 'Project Mun' to show we always have our destination in mind.

That's also why I took this screenshot. There just happened to be a Mun in the sky when I did my tests of the Third Stage, so there it is.

Initial engine tests went well, the stage produces an acceptable amount of Thrust, Burn Time, and Delta-V. TWR is also acceptable.

So I put a nosecone on top and figured I'd see how well it could fly. Once it left the Launchpad, everything seemed to go wrong. What was supposed to be a simple design and testing process turned into a four-hour nightmare of modifications and more testing. I stuck with it, and by the end of the night I had finished my Payload tests and called it a night.

With the completion of the third stage, design and testing of the second stage now begins.

Also, a series of space probes will be launched to the Mun in order to practice the techniques used to land and return. The probes will bring back science payloads, and function as navigation beacons on prospective landing sites.

I have also scheduled a crewed orbital flight around the Mun using my existing 'Project Eve' rocket. This will bring back more science, and allow the engineers to collect data on the resource requirements for our new capsule design.

I do have two satellite contracts, one for Kerbin, and one for the Mun. The only problem is I haven't unlocked the Mk1-2 Command Pod. I've got some free time today, so I'm going to go collect more science.

I think I'll hold off on the contracts until I can build a Pegasus analog, thanks for the suggestion Greg.

Edited by Guest
Remove Sig, Adjusting Posts for Workability, Fixing Links

S-1b Flight Test with 'Project Explorer' Probe

Part of my KSP play yesterday was using the new S-1b Third Stage to launch my existing 'Project Explorer' Extended Range probe for a mission to Minmus.

Despite a rocky ride, everything performed within tolerances, more tweaks will be made to the S-1b design.

Once again, if you're not interested in design and testing, skip the video.

Edited by Guest
Remove Sig, add Title and Format.

S-1b Flight Test with Dummy Payload

The S-1b Rocket has passed all of it's flight tests, and is now Space-Rated.

A single probe to Minmus unlocked two tech nodes needed to build a prototype CSM. I'll be launching the first Pegasus-Style satellite on my next game session. A preliminary CSM design is finished, work will now begin on a Munar Lander.

Here is the first of 5 flight tests that happened Thursday, from launch to splashdown, these tests are essential to determine the maximum useful payload weight of the rocket.

Once again, if you're not interested in design and testing, skip the video.

Edited by Guest
Title Fix, Reference, Reformat.

Pegasus Satellite Launch and Orbit

Project Pegasus is now complete. I really enjoyed this mission, pure precision flying, no science experiments involved.

The video shows how to launch and place a satellite into a polar orbit, but if you're not interested, skip it.

PM - 1 the first official mission of 'Project Mun' is scheduled for launch.

Edited by Guest
Remove Sig, Reformat.

'Project Explorer' becomes 'Project Surveyor'

Surveyor_diagram%28English_captions%29.jpg

After the PM - 1 test flight of the new CSM, Project Explorer will fly several new missions.

The objectives for this new series of missions will be to land on the Mun, return Science data, and leave behind navigation aids for future Kerbaled missions. It will also allow me to design and test an analog for the Atlas-Centaur.

Five missions are currently planned, each is to land and collect Science from the following locations:

• East Crater - A good candidate for the first Kerbaled landing site.
  • Northwest Crater - The proposed backup landing site, and selected as the second Kerbaled landing site.
  • Midlands - The darker parts.
  • Highlands - The lighter parts.
  • Twin Craters - A tough landing spot, but they look really cool.
Edited by Guest
Reformat.

'Explorer 3' Accidentally Becomes 'Surveyor 1'

I initiated a redesign of my existing Explorer space probe, and I was planning on testing it for use in re-creating the Surveyor series of missions. These missions would return Science needed for continued development of the CSM (Command-Service-Module) and MLM (Munar-Landing-Module), as well as provide the engines for my new S-5 rocket.

The flight test was scheduled to go into LKO, where fuel burn and delta-v would be calculated, and any modifications would be scheduled.

Things didn't go 'exactly' as planned, and we ended up going a lot further than the Mission Controllers had planned on...

This video shows a Munar Transfer into what could have been a manual suicide burn if I hadn't chickened out at the last minute.

To emphasize, when launching this mission I had absolutely no intention of going beyond Low Kerbin Orbit. It's amazing the way things turn out sometimes!

After the excitement of the Explorer 3 "flight test", Jebediah Kerman was heard cackling with glee as he stared out the window at the Launchpad.

The Rockomax 'Mainsail' engine has achieved worldwide fame for it's strength, prodigious fuel consumption, fuel tank shattering acceleration, and tendency to overheat and explode at the slightest provocation. The Mainsail legend lives on as these are the engines selected to carry our Kerbals to the Mun!

Design and testing of the S-5 Rocket now begins as PM - 1 is ready to launch.

Edited by Guest
Fix Link, Reformat.

This is very interesting. Never tried doing things this way in career mode. Maybe I should.

I am having a lot of fun trying to re-create a historical space program.

This challenge has also motivated me to play KSP more often these days, it's good to set a goal for yourself.

'Project Surveyor' Launches an Armada

Before launching PM - 1 I wanted to make sure I had Fuel Cells researched, the use of Fuel Cells for power generation is one of my major goals with this Challenge.

'Project Explorer' launched three "Surveyor" missions to the Mun to return Science to Kerbin.

This video shows the launch of my A-C Rocket, or you can skip to 5:43 for an awesome flying stunt.

Project Explorer's new A-C Rocket is ready to launch.

When I am building analogs to real rockets, I focus on functionality rather than appearance.

The main boost phase is powerful, and controllable. It is our first rocket that doesn't require aerodynamic control surfaces.

After the booster engines cutoff, the gravity turn maneuver begins. Acceleration is above 1g for most of the launch phase.

Just like the real Atlas Rocket, the two booster engines cutoff shortly before the third stage burns out.

3 Probes are launched, and 3 Munar Transfers are completed. I'm told by the folks at KerbalTek that launching three craft simultaneously, and navigating them to a common destination together, counts as an "Armada".

Well, there you go, I officially launched and navigated an armada of space probes. :D

Three Free-Return Trajectories are plotted, two of them are within acceptable parameters.

When plotting Munar Free-Return trajectories, I want the return Periapsis to be below 45 Km.

Once in Munar orbit, most orbital maneuvers are completed with the use of RCS thrusters.

MonoPropellant is comparatively heavy to LF-O, so expelling as much of it as possible prior to landing is a good thing.

Surveyor 4 had the best navigation of the three, even the debris re-entered Kerbin's atmosphere.

Surveyor 2 uses it's RCS thrusters to aim for it's landing site prior to retrofire.

Surveyor 2's landing site is the Mun's Northwest Crater.

A near-crash landing was saved at the last minute when Surveyor 2 landed on a slope.

RCS thrusters, and the new Fly-By-Wire system allowed for a good landing.

The Northwest Crater is the second landing site for the upcoming Mun missions.

Surveyor 3 lands in the Mun's Midlands. A pinpoint landing would later be rendered useless.

Surveyor 4 is treated to a nice view of Kerbin while on approach to Twin Craters.

3 missions were launched, 3 missions completed Munar transfer, and 3 missions landed on the Mun without too much trouble. However, only 2 missions successfully returned to Kerbin.

A failure of the inertial guidance (I turned West instead of East, *facepalm*) on Surveyor 3 resulted in it's precious Science data being stranded in a high Kerbin orbit.

The KSP Administrator has announced that the upcoming PM - 1 Mission will attempt to retrieve this probe and recover it's Science. An elite crew consisting of Valentina, Bill, and Bob will attempt this mission as a test of our Mark 1 CSM.

(If you're wondering why Jebediah wasn't picked, watch the video @ 5:43) ;)

Edited by Guest
Remove Sig, Fixing Links, Reformat

PM - 1 Launch and Mission

This is the big one!

The very first mission using the new Project Mun CSM, and the first full-scale launch of the S-1b in full flight configuration.

To be honest, I was nervous as hell when I hit the spacebar.

You hear stories from NASA about how scared they were to launch Alan Shepard on Mercury 3, I think I might have a very tiny inkling about how that felt. I trained as a Commercial Pilot, and anyone who takes off on their first Solo Flight knows exactly what I'm talking about.

This video shows the complete highlight reel from PM - 1, Jebediah's Grand Theft Rocket starts at 22:29.

With the success of PM - 1 the next mission, PM - 2 will be a Flight Test of the Munar Landing Module.

PM - 2 will remain in orbit until PM - 3 can launch and retrieve the crew. The MLM has no re-entry capability.

PM - 3, while bringing the PM - 2 crew home, will also be a practice run for launching into a rendezvous, and docking the CSM and MLM.

Once PM - 3 has been recovered, the Flight Test of the S-5 Rocket will begin.

Edit: Only after finishing the mission, posting the video, and making the forum posts did I realize that this mission did not adhere to the rules.

So I have decided to disqualify this flight until PM-3 can achieve the basic mission goal stated in the challenge.

Edited by Guest
Disqualification, Reformat

• 2 weeks later...

PM - 2 Launch

Rodald and Thombart have launched the Munar Landing Module into Low Kerbin Orbit.

This video shows the launch into orbit on the S-1b, and full systems checkout of the Munar Landing Module.

Yes, my MLM is very tall, because I haven't unlocked radial engines. That is why it has linear RCS ports on top of it. Also, once it has successfully landed on the Mun, future designs will use radially mounted engines, and the service bay will be discarded in favor of a detachable Science package. It is hoped future redesign will improve performance by reducing overall weight, and provide space for additional equipment.

A last minute realization cut the crew of PM - 3 from 3 Kerbals down to one. The PM - 3 CSM will have to return the PM - 2 crew, because the MLM is not designed to re-enter the atmosphere.

The PM - 2 and 3 missions are being run simultaneously. The earlier PM - 1 mission failed to achieve it's scheduled spaceflight duration, so PM - 3 will have to remain in orbit long enough to achieve that goal.

The MLM and CSM will rendezvous while in orbit, the MLM will undergo a flight test, rendezvous with the CSM once again, then the crew will transfer to the CSM for re-entry.

PM - 3 has already launched, once I've finished recording the rendezvous, I will post another update.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

S-1b Retrospective Look and PM - 3 Launch

Jebke Kerman launched Saturday on the final flight of the S-1b Block II Rocket. As it sat on the Launchpad, I was lovestruck for a moment. This rocket had a difficult development, was expensive compared to my earlier rockets, and suffered from flight control problems that were never completely solved.

In other words, it's not perfect.

But then, you take a moment to look at it:

And there's the thing, because it just sort of is.

The design philosophy of the real Saturn 1b Rocket is mirrored in my own S-1b Rocket:

The engineering staff at the Kerbal Space Program were faced with a difficult task: How do you lift a heavy payload using only the 1.25 meter parts that are available?

The answer was simple, and brilliant. They started with a 2.5 meter decoupler, mounted above a short 2.5 meter to 1.25 meter adapter plate. Below the adapter, was installed a core stage of 2 FLT-800's and one FLT-400. Eight other stages were clustered around this core stage.

Six 'Reliant' and two 'Swivel' engines completed the bottom stage. At the time, the engineers had never tried clustered engines before. The power of the engine cluster came as a shock. In one single engine test, the S-1b proved itself to be the most powerful rocket we had ever designed.

The design of the whole rocket had been long and torturous, from the powerful bottom stage, the high-performance middle stage, and the CSM payload on top. Even after everything had been finished, pilots reported difficulty making the rocket perform maneuvers at high speeds.

But on this final day Jebke, Jeb, and Valentina were standing out by the launch pad, looking up at the rocket.

"It's really very pretty, isn't it?" Valentina asked.

"Yeah. I'm not in it, and I'm not flying yet, but I'm still enjoying it," Jebke replied.

Jebediah, grinning like a lunatic added, "It's not a bad way to burn 75,000 SpaceBucks!"

"Well, let's go. I need to start my preflight." Jebke turned and walked toward Mission Control.

This video shows only the launch into orbit.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

PM - 2/3 Mission and Preparations for the S-5 Rocket

This was the biggest, and most complicated Mission I have flown to date. Even the Surveyor Armada Mission was easier than this.

With my Munar Landing Module waiting in orbit, Jebke Kerman launched on the last of my S-1b Rockets. He then plotted and flew a rendezvous with PM-2, and docked with it. This is the first time the CSM and MLM have been operated in combination. A crew and Science transfer was done with a short EVA activity.

Then, Rodald Kerman undocked the MLM and gave it a test flight. It performed a retrofire burn until it's periapsis was lowered to ground level. Then, the upper stage was decoupled, and flown back to the CSM. Jebke performed a second docking maneuver with the MLM.

Rodald transferred to the CSM, and all available fuel, monopropellant, and electric charge was transferred as well.

A short retrofire ensured the MLM would re-enter the atmosphere after it was ditched.

The KSP Administrator had expressed a desire to test the MLM's re-entry capability as a backup safety procedure. The MLM's re-entry was monitored, and surprisingly, it survived re-entry intact all the way to impact. Future versions of the MLM will be equipped with parachutes as a backup safety measure for crew recovery.

Once the MLM testing was completed, the CSM fired it's engine to raise it's apoapsis to Munar orbit. This would be a live test of a CSM Munar Return. During re-entry, the CSM performed an aerobraking maneuver, followed by an RCS retrofire. This allowed the CSM to reduce it's velocity to normal orbital speed before re-entering a second time.

This procedure will become standard for all Munar returns.

While making their triumphant return, Jebke, Rodald, and Thombart were almost killed when their capsule landed in a mountainous area. If the capsule hadn't made it to a valley, parachute deployment would not have been able to stop them crashing into the ground.

The problem of aiming for a specific landing site during a Munar Return remains to be solved...

This video shows the complete highlight reel from PM - 2/3 including the near-fatal landing incident.

With the completion of this mission, the Kerbal Space Program now has all the knowledge, and hardware needed to make an attempt at landing on the Mun.

The next stage of Project Mun has begun...

- - - Updated - - -

Launching PM - 3, flying the combined PM - 2/3 Mission, cleaning up the VAB, and preparing for the initial test flights of my S-5 Rocket made for a very busy weekend. Here's all my miscellaneous work and testing in a super-high-speed video:

This video shows my VAB collection, and a few quick flight tests of my S-5 Rocket, skip it if you're not interested.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

• 2 weeks later...

S-5 Rocket Design Review

Wernher von Kerman's engineers had already been commissioned to build the S-5 Rocket. After the first fully payload-ready example had rolled out of the assembly building, the first unmanned flight test began. It was important to establish the payload capacity and Delta-v of the new rocket.

After liftoff the mission controllers monitored the telemetry closely, until someone noticed something wrong:

The second stage had just burned out, and the remainder of the rocket was already on an escape trajectory from Kerbin!

Clearly the Block I version of the S-5 was far too powerful for the job at hand.

This embarrassment was covered up by officially listing the PM - 4 flight 'cancelled'.

The S-5 Block I Rocket:

• It contains 236 parts.
  • It weighs in at 538.5 tons.
  • It stands 53.7 meters tall.
  • It costs an unbelievable 226,968 SpaceBucks!

Rumor has it, Jebediah was so excited he threw himself off the control tower, rather than walk down the stairs.

Mortimer took one look towards the Launchpad and submitted his resignation.

Meanwhile, Gene sat back in his chair and said, "aww-wight!"

Edited by Guest
Reformat, Edits

• 2 weeks later...

PM - 5 Launch

PM - 5 has launched Jeb, Bill, and Bob into LKO.

The stated mission goal is to flight test the S-5 Block I Rocket in Low Kerbin Orbit.

This video shows the complete Launch and Transposition sequence for my S-5 Rocket.

Edited by Guest
Reformat, Edit

PM - 6 Launch

The PM - 5 Mission was completed and recovered uneventfully, so I haven't posted anything else about it.

(I was going to make up a story about Jeb flying to the Mun against orders, but I couldn't be bothered. I was already focusing on the re-design of the S-5 and just wanted to get on with it. Oh well.)

After PM - 5 recovered, I spent some time in the VAB tweaking my design for the S-5 Block I Rocket. The original design will be retained as the basis for the S-5 MLV Heavy Launch Vehicle. The new S-5 Block II is a slightly streamlined, more high-performance version with less fuel and more TWR. Part count has also been reduced slightly for better game performance.

After the redesign, PM - 6 was rolled out to the Launchpad.

This video shows the complete Launch and Transposition sequence for my S-5 Rocket, if you've already seen the previous video, you can skip this one.

The mission goal of PM - 6 is to transfer to the Mun, orbit it ten times, then return to Kerbin.

The CSM and MLM also underwent some minor design changes:

• The CSM's service bay load out was changed to support a Munar sub satellite capable of being jettisoned once in Munar orbit. This will fill the sub satellite Challenge requirement, and hopefully finish a satellite contract in my career mode.
  • The MLM's service bay was removed after an engineering decision to incorporate the science package into the descent stage. This new descent stage will be left behind on the Mun, and use it's remaining fuel and fuel cells to be able to continue sending Science experiments back to the KSP.

PM - 7 will launch the new MLM, and conduct it's low approach test with the new vehicle.

Edited by Guest
Reformat, Edit

PM - 6 Mission

The PM - 6 Mission is complete.

I can't say this is the first time I've been to the Mun in this career, but it is the first time I've sent three Kerbals to Munar Orbit. I took a moment to think about the real Apollo 8 mission. It's strange to me that we remember Apollo 11 and 13 far more than Apollo 8. I think Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders provided the backdrop to the whole Apollo effort, with their photo "Earthrise" and their Christmas T.V. broadcast. 1968 might have been a terrible year domestically, but it was one hell of a year for space exploration. It makes me sad such an amazing achievement was so terribly purchased.

PM - 7 will be launching soon with the final test before we attempt a landing.

This video shows the Munar Transfer, Orbit, and Re-Entry of the CSM.

Edited by Guest
Reformat, Retrospective

PM - 7 Mission

The PM - 7 Mission has flown. Jebke Kerman, "The Hero of PM - 3", was CSM Pilot. While he has several missions under his belt, he's never been to the Mun.

That S-5 Rocket is one scary machine. When it launches, you know you're going somewhere fast when it leaps off the pad. The first stage cuts out with a huge bang, and you feel like you're being thrown through the front window. The second stage is even worse, when it launches you on the beginning of TMI, you get crushed into your seat at four and a half G's. It's a punishing ride, but it's also a lot of fun!

Valentina Kerman was MLM Pilot, while Bob Kerman was Mission Commander. There was no room for error on this flight, so I wanted my best Kerbals in command.

This video shows the complete highlight reel of PM - 7, from Launch to Landing.

The PM - 7 Mission was as close as I can get to a full scale practice run for the Munar Landing. The mission achieved all of it's objectives, and we now have all the information we need to try a landing on the surface of the Mun.

The stage is set for the return of Jebediah Kerman!

Jebediah Kerman has successfully lobbied to be the MLM Pilot on PM-8.

He will be joined by Rodald Kerman as CSM Pilot, and Thombart Kerman as Mission Commander.

Guys, we're going to fly the best mission that's ever been done before! Don't worry, I'm BadS, we can do this!

Let me also take a moment to welcome my newest recruit, Cerly Kerman. She is slated to be the CSM Pilot on PM - 9.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

PM - 8 Mission and Landing

PM - 8's S-5 Rocket sits on the pad, ready to go on launch day. This will be the first attempt at a Kerbaled Mun landing, the target is the Mun's East Crater.

Thombart Kerman is the Mission Commander. He is a veteran of the Munar Landing Module flight test on PM - 2, and has previously traveled to Munar orbit on PM - 6.

Rodald Kerman is the Command Module Pilot. He was recruited during 'Project Eve', and is also a veteran of PM - 2, and PM - 6. Thombart and Rodald are seen as teammates, and it is likely they will be paired together for future missions.

Somehow, Jebediah Kerman has gotten himself assigned to PM - 8, in spite of Thombart's objections.

The first Kerbal in space, veteran of 'Project Moho', 'Project Eve', 'Project SkyHab', and PM - 5. Jebediah Kerman is the Kerbal Space Program's most experienced Kerbonaut. Considered to be a "drooling lunatic" by Gene Kerman, Jebediah had previously been removed from flight status twice.

• The first time for stealing a rocket, and giving an unauthorized joyride to a bewildered bystander. The fact he successfully recovered the Science data from Surveyor 3 at the same time was glossed over in the official report.
  • The second time was for violating KSC airspace at supersonic velocities, and performing an unauthorized low pass over the Mission Control Center. The flying stunts were bad enough, but the fact he nearly killed Thombart Kerman on his first day in the space program was unforgivable.

Gene Kerman was heard to remark, "Jeb, you are removed from flight status for the rest of your life." So the fact Jebediah is flying today is seen as a mystery. Rumor has it, Mortimer Kerman had something to do with it.

Apparently Jebediah was determined to make what could possibly be his last flight the greatest one he has ever flown. Rodald put the spacecraft on a free-return trajectory, Thombart plotted the Munar Orbit and Landing Site, and Jebediah landed the Munar Landing Module within 500 meters of the targeted site.

Jeb and Thombart, posing for a photograph on the Mun.

Jeb is seen here standing on the planned landing spot.

Many interesting Science experiments were conducted, and much Science Data would be returned.

However, one discovery would continue to fascinate scientists back on Kerbin:

Apparently these large objects are to be called "rocks", and while there don't seem to be any of them on Kerbin, they are abundant on the Mun. Future missions will attempt to establish the value of these "rocks" and try to discover where they come from.

To cap off a successful mission, PM - 8 splashed down in the ocean East of the KSC. This is the most accurate Kerbin return from the Mun yet.

PM - 8 was successful, every objective was completed. PM - 9 is now scheduled to launch.

Edited by Guest
Reformat, Edit

• 3 weeks later...

PM - 9 Munar Landing

I know it's been a while since my last update, and I apologize.

You can blame the BD Armory mod for sucking up all of my KSP play time :wink:

PM - 9 nearly had a disaster on landing, but Valentina saved it with some piloting skills.

Other than that, the mission was uneventful, and everyone returned safely.

The real news is the change in the upcoming PM - 10 mission:

A fuel-cell powered Munar Rover has been developed, despite the extremely difficult design and testing process, it is hoped this vehicle will allow our Kerbonauts to collect Science from Midlands and Highlands Craters.

The rover deployment mechanism is very unreliable, but regardless, the PM - 10 Mission has a launch date.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

• 2 weeks later...

PM - 10 Landing and Rover Mission

PM - 10, the first of the new series of Mun missions has landed. This mission pushes the lifting and navigational capability of the S-5 Rocket and Munar Lander. The new Munar Rover is radially mounted to the Munar Lander, and to counterbalance the rover, a new Munar Landing Module Science Experiment Package has been designed and fitted.

This mission therefore had to do double duty as both a Munar Landing, and a flight test.

Thankfully, everything worked out well.

Here are the highlights:

- - - Updated - - -

After the successful landing of PM - 10 on the Munar Midlands, the primary objective of the mission was undertaken:

Drive the new Munar Rover approximately 30 Kilometers, and collect a full set of Science Experiments from the Midlands Crater.

The mission had gotten off to a good start, with Jebke having made a pinpoint landing directly on the targeted landing site. The first stage of the mission would test the range of the Munar Rover on one half of it's ElectricCharge capacity.

After driving 12 Km to the boundary of several craters, the EC use was noted for the engineers. Jebediah radioed down from the CSM to pass on orders from Gene at Mission Control: forget the range test and go get the Science. Jebke turned on the integrated Fuel Cell, and put the extra power to use.

The drive was fairly treacherous, and things were livened up a bit when Jebke rolled the rover. After sliding downhill about 50 meters it landed on the rear of the Science Package. Jebke managed to get the rover pushed back up with the landing leg, and more caution was taken for the rest of the trip.

After a careful descent into the crater, Jebke and Thombart gave the Science Package a workout, collecting every type of Science available.

After collecting the Science, Thombart left a flag behind to commemorate a mission well done.

Now that the mission is complete all there is to do is return home. Wernher von Kerman's team of Scientists are eagerly awaiting the Science return from this mission.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

• 2 weeks later...

PM - 11 Landing with a Manual Suicide Burn

As PM - 11 orbited the Mun I realized my original planned landing site was in total darkness. Rather than wait for a bunch of days for the Mun to come around it's orbit, I selected a new landing site on the far side of the Mun.

This new landing site allows access to three biomes: The Munar Highlands themselves, Highlands Craters, and whichever that really big crater was we flew over on final approach.

After performing what I consider to be a credible Suicide Burn manually using nothing but eyeballs, morale is high for the most ambitious EVA activity yet.

This landing site is completely unplanned, so there has been no earlier reconnaissance by the Surveyor Probes in this area. Cerly and Bob really have their work cut out for them on this mission.

The base is up and running, the equipment is prepared, and the Rover is fueled up. There's a long drive ahead of us.

Edited by Guest
Reformat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.