Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

About how many unique users are active on the forum per month?
I don't see that info, sorry. Maybe Kasper or one of the admins can comment.

Over the past month (30 April - 28 May), the average daily user activity (unique user visits) has been 4338 per day. You could multiply that to get the monthly number, but that would include visits on different days by the same users. Over that same time period, 2878 accounts have been registered, an average of 99 per day. There have been 97026 new posts (3346/day average) and 5079 new threads (175/day average).

AFAIK all our users are human. Except Rainbowtrout, he's a mudkip. :P

That's Technicality correct.

Modkip, when I joined, the CG limit was 3. Has it changed to reflect the new users?
2) The CG limit was originally 5. It was temporarily changed to 3 just to alleviate possible headache for users who had to make a new account on the forums following the forum crash and subsequent data loss that happened a while back, but it was returned to its original value after that. :)
I think it was increased to provide additional defence against spammers, but I'm not sure.

I just checked and it's still three posts. Incidentally, there's approximately 70000 Curious George accounts, and 74000 Trusted accounts (i.e. regular users).

EDIT:

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. When a post is reported, is it looked at right away, or do you wait for posts to be reported multiple times before you look at it?
  2. How many reports do you get a day?
  3. Of those, how many do not require action and/or are people just reporting posts to be rude?

Thanks for your time. :)

1. When a post is reported, an email is sent to every moderator. We generally discuss with each other what the appropriate response is, but that is definitely not contingent on getting multiple reports.
  2. Over the last forty-five days, there has been an average of 9 reports per day.
  3. That's a little harder to get the stats on, but abuse of the report system has been overall not a big issue we've had to deal with. The overwhelming majority of reports have been in good faith. Reports that warrant no action do come in more often than malicious ones, but a lot less often than actionable ones.

Edited by Supernovy
Responding to Mad Rocket Scientist

I've wondered how decisions to keep open threads that have a lot of rule skirting in their creation works. I don't really mean any in particular, but mostly the idea that some threads seem to get closed after the conflict that the rules seeked to prevent rather than before.

Red Iron Crown, I like that word which you used; "Automagically." I can't figure out if it's a typo or a real thing.

Automagically is a great word to describe how something operates in which you do not know how... like KSP and C#, when you allocate variables or destruct objects it automagically does the task at hand ;p

I've wondered how decisions to keep open threads that have a lot of rule skirting in their creation works. I don't really mean any in particular, but mostly the idea that some threads seem to get closed after the conflict that the rules seeked to prevent rather than before.

Eh, many of those threads might be somewhat questionable in nature, but we prefer to give users the benefit of the doubt where possible, and we generally only step in once rules are actually broken. Trying to prevent all conflict is just going to annoy people and likely enough aggravate users against the staff in general, which will make our jobs harder, not easier.

Keep in mind that regular members are not always seeing everything that was posted to the thread. Things you do not see because we removed them or prevented them from being posted in the first place may also have figured into our decisions.

How was your day, all of you?

Quiet and relaxing, so far. :D Thanks for asking.

[...]

1. When a post is reported, an email is sent to every moderator. We generally discuss with each other what the appropriate response is, but that is definitely not contingent on getting multiple reports.
  2. Over the last forty-five days, there has been an average of 9 reports per day.
  3. That's a little harder to get the stats on, but abuse of the report system has been overall not a big issue we've had to deal with. The overwhelming majority of reports have been in good faith. Reports that warrant no action do come in more often than malicious ones, but a lot less often than actionable ones.

Thank you!

Is the report post delay a ploy to stop people from reporting posts?

No, it's a bug in the forum software, and an annoying one as it sometimes makes people think it failed and report again. We don't want to deter people from reporting posts at all, if anything we encourage it rather than responding in thread.

How many people are eligible for each title from Flight Director to Sr. Spacecraft Engineer?

I don't have an easy way to find that, but I can see that there are 1372 user accounts at Sr Spacecraft Engineer (250 posts) or higher.

"Interesting" in the sense of "requiring the most moderation" would probably be General Discussion (because of high traffic) and the Science Labs (because arguments and sometimes politics). Suggestion and Development Discussion as well, lots of threads from the WNTS list as well as more necros than most areas.

I heard that you had a secret subforum, is it possible to create a thread which is only visible to three people?

How bout if they're not mods?

It would be possible but tricky, and you'd need forum administrator access.

So if I wanted to start such a thread I'd need to be a mod?

What if you started one and made it visible to the three people I had in mind?

On a related note, is it possible to reply to a PM to more than one person without going advanced?

So if I wanted to start such a thread I'd need to be a mod?

What if you started one and made it visible to the three people I had in mind?

On a related note, is it possible to reply to a PM to more than one person without going advanced?

I'm not going to make such a thread for you though, because it's a lot of work: creating a special user group, putting those three people in it, then making a new forum that only they can see etc..

#2 I don't think it is.

I'm not going to make such a thread for you though, because it's a lot of work: creating a special user group, putting those three people in it, then making a new forum that only they can see etc..

#2 I don't think it is.

Ok, thanks for answering my questions!

It isn't so much the number of infractions as the number of points associated with them. If you accumulate 25 points your posts will have to be manually approved by a moderator before they show up, just like it is for new members. If you accumulate too many infractions in a short time we may proceed to a temporary or even a permanent ban, though these are quite rare.

P.S.

All infractions have an expiry time, so when an infraction expires and the amount of infraction points on your profile drops below 25 you will be able to post normally again.

How much are the different infractions worth?

Between 5 and 30 points, usually.

sXgKMRC.png

The checkboxes are to reduce the infraction to a zero-points notice. Useful for reminding someone of rules or getting them to chill out without swinging the banhammer around like a toy.

Well, it's good to know that i'm on the up and up now.

Hah, I censored any private info from that shot. You can find out if you have any infractions from your own profile page.

http://i.imgur.com/gKXoZ3q.jpg

Hello, my name is...Mapt0r. Just updating the forum map, you know, my job. Mind showing just a tid-bit of the fault vault?

Nice disguise.

Fine. Have this carefully-selected snippet.

ZLNFnAW.png

See? They do happen. For a very short time before getting splattered.