Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

When you aren't moderating us poor souls, what's your favorite thread to visit?
And in conjunction with that, what's your favorite sub-forum (Fanworks, Spacecraft Exchange, etc.) to visit? 

Hmm. As you know, I'm a big fan of @Kuzzter's Kerbfleet comics. I also enjoy @adsii1970's Kerny Kerman series, and @Reddy's PEGAS code.

As for favorite subforum, that's probably the Spacecraft Exchange. I am always impressed by the creativity of the posters there, and even the common things (F-16s, Saturn Vs) have all been done differently. It also needs less moderating than the other subforums. People there are almost always encouraging and supportive. I've never seen a comment telling the OP they've done a bad job. Honestly, it's really refreshing, and I need to visit it more often. My second favorite is Welcome Aboard, because I get a chance to say "Hello!" to all the new users, and share the wonders of KSP and this community with them.

However, my browsing habits have changed since I became a moderator. I tend to rely on reports to find areas of attention (so keep them coming!), and less on my own discoveries.

Edited by Dman979
Added more information to the answer.

Where do we put requests for mouseover definitions? We need one for "NDA" ASAP (do we need a definition for that too?)! RoverDude keeps getting  asked questions that he has to respond with "NDA," and then has to define it two posts later, repeatedly. 

Apologies if this has been dealt with; I'm on mobile and can't see the dotted underlines. 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Where do we put requests for mouseover definitions? We need one for "NDA" ASAP (do we need a definition for that too?)! RoverDude keeps getting  asked questions that he has to respond with "NDA," and then has to define it two posts later, repeatedly. 

Apologies if this has been dealt with; I'm on mobile and can't see the dotted underlines. 

Thread is here, but since you've already asked I'll go ahead and add it. It won't be applied retroactively to posts unless they are edited, though.

Edit: Testing NDA

Edited by Red Iron Crown

8 minutes ago, Sirius628 said:

Under my name, there is a title, and then dots. What do the dots represent and how do you change your title?

The dots show how many posts you have. They scale up in increasing increments, but I don't think anyone has more than 5.

To change your title, go to your profile page. Then click "Edit Profile." Member Title is the first option in the pop-up box.

2 hours ago, Sirius628 said:

Under my name, there is a title, and then dots. What do the dots represent and how do you change your title?

The dots correspond to post count, though I forget the threshold for each one. 

You can change your title in your profile settings. 

Edit: Badly ninjad, should have checked for another page. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

2 hours ago, Sirius628 said:

To change your title, click "Edit Profile" up in the top right corner of your own profile page, and it should be the very first option. 

The dots represent post count, but off the top of my head I can't remember how many posts correspond to dots or whatever.

Edit: I think I was ninja'd twice. One from two hours ago. Probably one of my finest moments on these forums...

I noticed that the way images are displayed in posts seems to have changed. It used to just display it as large as possible based on how big your browser window was, but now it seems to only display a maximum width of 1024 pixels and you have to click the image to see it full-size. Is there any way to get images to display the old way?

11 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

When did @Frybert become a member?

Back in 2012, I believe. 

11 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Also, what's the best thing you've done in KSP that you can remember?

I did a stock single stage craft to Laythe and back in 1.0.4. Oh and a lunar flyby in RSS/RO. And an age of sail frigate one time. 

So, quick question: I know double-posts are usually frowned on, but if I'm the OP of a mission report thread, am I allowed to post different segments in consecutive posts? It's not seeing much traffic yet, and I'm ready to post another segment before anybody has replied. Should I just edit the prior post if I have another segment done before anybody replies?

@Starman4308 Double posting is really when you accidentally post the same thing twice or fire off more than one post in quick succession instead of making one post that includes everything you want to say. Adding a new section to a mission report is not double posting and is absolutely fine :)

32 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

So, quick question: I know double-posts are usually frowned on, but if I'm the OP of a mission report thread, am I allowed to post different segments in consecutive posts? It's not seeing much traffic yet, and I'm ready to post another segment before anybody has replied. Should I just edit the prior post if I have another segment done before anybody replies?

26 minutes ago, Deddly said:

@Starman4308 Double posting is really when you accidentally post the same thing twice or fire off more than one post in quick succession instead of making one post that includes everything you want to say. Adding a new section to a mission report is not double posting and is absolutely fine :)

Additionally, the forum software automatically merges posts from the same user in the same thread within a certain time period (I don't know what that is, though). If it's been enough time that the posts don't merge, you're generally fine.

59 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

two questions

1. how does the profanity filter work?
  2. how are you doing today?

Two answers

1. It catches words that aren't supposed to be on the forums and replaces them with ones that are allowed. Testing the filter is discouraged. If you find a word that you think shouldn't be on the forums (or anything that deserves our attention), report it.
  2. Pretty good. It's late for me, so I'm a bit tired. I've got some projects I need to finish tonight, though, so I have to keep working.

Just curious - How are moderators usually selected? Also, are there any other ranks (officially, the thingy under the profile picture) besides SQUAD, moderators, members, and global moderators? And (sorry for the list of questions), what differs between a global moderator and a normal moderator?

51 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Just curious - How are moderators usually selected? Also, are there any other ranks (officially, the thingy under the profile picture) besides SQUAD, moderators, members, and global moderators? And (sorry for the list of questions), what differs between a global moderator and a normal moderator?

Moderators are selected by group decision. Honestly, I've never participated in selecting new Mods, so I'm not entirely clear on it.

Here's the list of user groups currently in use:

Curse Representative
Forum Administrators
Global Moderator
KSC Staff
KSP-TV Broadcaster
Media Group
Members
SQUAD Staff
SQUAD Staff / Moderator Emeritus
Wiki operators

A Global Moderator is in charge of the entire forums. In addition to having all the controls that moderators have, they also have administrative access that normal moderators do not have. There are three right now: Red Iron Crown, Supernovy, and Vanamonde.

A regular moderator can edit or hide posts, move threads or posts, merge posts, split posts, issue warnings, flag spammers, and some other stuff.

Edited by Dman979
Forgot the Ban-ana!

23 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Moderators are selected by group decision. Honestly, I've never participated in selecting new Mods, so I'm not entirely clear on it.

Here's the list of user groups currently in use:

Curse Representative
Forum Administrators
Global Moderator
KSC Staff
KSP-TV Broadcaster
Media Group
Members
SQUAD Staff
SQUAD Staff / Moderator Emeritus
Wiki operators

A Global Moderator is in charge of the entire forums. In addition to having all the controls that moderators have, they also have administrative access that normal moderators do not have. There are three right now: Red Iron Crown, Supernovy, and Vanamonde.

A regular moderator can edit or hide posts, move threads or posts, merge posts, split posts, issue warnings, flag spammers, and some other stuff.

It's amazing how well you guys check stuff. You find errors quickly and do a course of action. Thanks for reviewing my posts quickly when I just joined. It helped because people can respond faster. Thanks for your hard work!

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

If a thread gets its first two replies at almost exactly the same time, will the little orange "Hot!" tag appear by its post count?

No, it happens when there's a bunch of posts in a short period of time. Two will not be enough to trip the "Hot!" tag.

@Dman979 there's a sign language subforum? And there's a need for it? If I knew that I would've mentioned I used to learn it. I'm a bit rusty but if the moderators need another ASL speaker (don't know how that works on a text based forum but I'll manage), I can 'speak' it.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

@Dman979 there's a sign language subforum? And there's a need for it? If I knew that I would've mentioned I used to learn it. I'm a bit rusty but if the moderators need another ASL speaker (don't know how that works on a text based forum but I'll manage), I can 'speak' it.

No, there is no ASL subforum. I included it as a joke, because most of the other moderators speak a second language other than English, and I felt left out. :/ Seeing as it's caused a bit of confusion, I'll change my title. :(