Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

To vanamonde:

Why the banana? Is it anything related to it?

I'm afraid that was also my fault.

Do the forum accounts of Squad employees have moderation tools? What about the KSPTV streamers' accounts?

Squad staff have moderation permissions, but not admin permissions. KSP Developers have neither (aside from HarvesteR, who is an admin). KSPTV broadcasters have the same permissions as regular users.

Mariyate has a bit of an interesting question:

Do any of you often prefer not being treated as moderators in the sense that you scare the hell out of everyone on sight you passively recognize your authority over other users, but rather just as another member who's here for nothing more than to have a good time?

I think at least one thing applies right now...

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

Do any of you often prefer not being treated as moderators in the sense that you scare the hell out of everyone on sight you passively recognize your authority over other users, but rather just as another member who's here for nothing more than to have a good time?

Oh definitely, that was one of the reasons I was initially resistant to the idea of becoming a moderator. The forums are fun for me, and I figured that moderating would make them less fun (and it has, but it's a job that needs doing).

I would love to be able to separate my regular posts from my posts made in a moderative capacity, and indeed it's a topic that comes up among the mods form time to time (using colors or fonts to make it explicit when one is moderating). However, a veteran mod explained to me that such things are counterproductive for a number of reasons, a moderator should remember that his or her words will always be read through the lens of "said by a moderator" and if users need special fonts or colors to figure out when you're moderating then you're doing it wrong.

Mariyate has a bit of an interesting question:

I think at least one thing applies right now...

I have to say: I don't feel scared when a moderator shows up, I feel being scared of moderators can't be very fun for them, I try to think of moderators as people just like us, only with the ban-hammer (which I trust them to not misuse).

Why do people tend to use "_"'s instead of " "'s in their usernames? And why do they use numbers?

Some people think that the forum software doesn't support " "s in usernames when they register. They can get a name change if they want :). As to your second one, I'm not sure. Maybe because they want to?

Mods, I do have a question.

How much extra work are you guys having to do now that the PS4 announcement is out? Cause I've seen hundreds of posts that were simply yelling at SQUAD, there are multiple arguments in the devnote thread and the announcement thread, everybody is being so mean and hateful...

I feel sorry for you guys.

Whenever moderators are unsure about something we can discuss things amongst eachother, and that includes myself. As for supervision, the activity of moderator's is checked monthly, and the senior moderators review all the infractions that are given.

The thread view counter, does it count multiple views by the same user, or is it limited to unique users?

like if thread X has 50 views, does that mean 50 unique viewers saw it, or possibly that 25 people each visited twice?

Im curious as the PS4 thread hit 7k views very quick, and I wonder if those were all unique persons.

Multiple views. The same user looking at a thread twice adds 2 to the view count.

Edit: For example, there's a thread in the moderator's area that has 4700 views, there have not been 4700 unique users with access to that area.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

We knew the job was dangerous when we took it.

Well kudos to you all for keeping things together. I'll grump all day long about the game, but you folks do good work at a tough job around here.