Astro's Kopernicus Planets

Astrofox

What would you want in the planet pack?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in the planet pack?

• more moons
    • more planets
    • "lagrange point" moons/planets
    • rings
    • cubic planetary system
    • more moons around stock planets
    • other, and just post a comment asking for what you wish.

Change the deformity to what you want (The deformity is how high the highest point will be, in meters)

VertexHeightMap

{

map = Astro'sPlanets/Kosarn/PluginData/Kosarn_height.png

offset = 0

deformity = 4.0

scaleDeformityByRadius = false

order = 20

enabled = true

}

VertexSimplexHeight

{

seed = 98374

deformity = 50.0

octaves = 8.0

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 4.0

enabled = true

order = 59

}

The lighting is because of how the normal map is formatted, once you change the deformity to your liking, hold down Alt-E-P and enter the name of the planet in the top bar. Type its resolution in the bottom, click export and look through the Kopernicus folder for your new textures.

Edited by Hammersamatom

Owersome! Also, for realy spiky areas in the map, just use MS paint to draw white dots or areas on the height map. It will make those white areas the heighest places on the planet and look like spikes, without modifying deformity too much.

@Hammersamatom, Mysterio will have very small moons - Its orbit isn't gonna change a bit. Rings may be added and the only thing that needs to change is its atmosphere color and the fact that its atmosphere needs to contains oxygen.

I'll put a pic of Mysterio (since it's the one we have kinda already completed) up.

Just wait till I get some time... With proper computer access I should be able to fix this mod in a few minutes. Maybe I'll also add some more moons for Mysterio along the way. Also, we should increase Mysterio's rwdius at least three times otherwise people won't like this pack...

@Astro have you thought about renaming the pack to something like SingularityEffect? I have also been creating configs for a black hole but I still haven't tested it.

- - - Updated - - -

Change the deformity to what you want (The deformity is how high the highest point will be, in meters)

VertexHeightMap

{

map = Astro'sPlanets/Kosarn/PluginData/Kosarn_height . png

offset = 0

deformity = 4.0

scaleDeformityByRadius = false

order = 20

enabled = true

}

VertexSimplexHeight

{

seed = 98374

deformity = 50.0

octaves = 8.0

persistence = 0.5

frequency = 4.0

enabled = true

order = 59

}

The lighting is because of how the normal map is formatted, once you change the deformity to your liking, hold down Alt-E-P and enter the name of the planet in the top bar. Type its resolution in the bottom, click export and look through the Kopernicus folder for your new textures.

I don't think his kopernicus version supports that... I have the newest one up to date, but it's secret and Kopernicus devs said I should share it.

My Kopernicus version supports Alt E-P, however, I should I do it when I'm close, or when I'm in the tracking station?

Also, I was actually thinking about having a small gas giant that is smaller than Kerbin, and the closest reachable planet to Kerbin, however, we are going to make a binary planet system, and so we will have loads of time for small, but semi-realistic planets.

I believe that having a small gas giant would make others relatively happy due to the fact that the pack, which should probably be renamed the "Collaboratory Semi-realistic planet pack,"since it would give it uniqueness, and of course, would give others a range of challenges, which would be good for beginners and pros alike.

How would it give uniqueness? Well, there would be mini gas planets and an entire planetary system dedicated to literally cubes (I miss the Super Eve Planet Pack).

So, Yeah, I think it would be alright if we just add some more planets that will be equally bizarre, and some that are realistically possible.

Edit1: @Hammersamatom, I think it should be raised to about 25km, since Mysterio is only 100Km in radius.

Agreed, unique and crazy, while giving a worthy challenge. Well said. I'm assuming we are keeping Mysterio small?

Edit1: Sweet! 25km it is! Updated the dropbox link in my above post.

Edit2: In the opening post, you said that you wanted a brown dwarf. I have a config for one, the corona needs work though.

Brown Dwarf
Edited by Hammersamatom

So, I'm having trouble with Mysterio - I try to timewarp when I'm around Mysterio, but it doesn't seem to register - I can use Phys-Warp, however, I cannot use the Timewarp.

Anyway, I will take a good look at that brown dwarf.

I'll take a look at the Timewarp settings.

Gimme 3 minutes.

Edit1: I'm sorry, it didn't have them, I should have seen it before.

Edit2: Add this in the properties section of the config file:

timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 25000 25000 40000 40000 60000 70000 100000

Edited by Hammersamatom

Huh, I put the code in the properties section, and when I loaded it up, Mysterio was missing.

I removed the little bit of code and I am wondering if you could tell me where it goes, since my configs are "side-scrollers" somehow.

Yeah, I've got Notepad, although, it's not notepad++, I will probably look into that.

Edit: I've noticed that Mysterio has no rotation period - can we make its rotation period less than 6 hours, say, 2 hours?

Edited by Astrofox

Lol, i found a problem with Mysterio's atmosphere - I slow down to 25m/s at 25km, yeah, we may need to fix that. I also get pressure readings of about 500 atmospheres at 15km. Also temperatures of 700 degrees at 6km.

Edited by Astrofox

Is it too late to join? I'd like to contribute a planet or two.

I made a planet mod a while ago, before Kopernicus was a thing, called New Kerbol: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101076

It reconfigured the stock planets into a new arrangement, like Alternis Kerbol did, but it also did some other things, like the glowing oceans on Laythe, and the wind on Eve.

Anyways, if you guys are alright with it, I could possibly recreate one or two of those here. The glowing oceans stuff isn't possible without a plugin, but everything else there is.

Most of the planets in there are mostly procedural, just like the stock planets are, but with a fixed seed so that they don't change every time you load the game. All of that is also possible with Kopernicus.

Also...

-A Kraken look-a-like planet

goYA5Gd.png

Yes Sir! You may join, however, I remember that you changed Bop, and we need Bop to stay the same in this mod, however, a Kraken planet would be amazing, and so, you're hired!

Granted, the systems in the mod won't be procedural, but I remember playing with your mod, and it was awesome!

Maybe your mod could be a part of ours, without having to change the planets around (and maybe, since I remember you had something that turned Kerbals into zombies, we can make a special world in which kerbals ARE zombies!).

Maybe we can re-discover/re-create the plugin for making glowing oceans.

Zombie Kerbals, and a zombie Kerbal planet, interesting.

If a plugin is made specifically for that, I would like to think that the plugin would be optional. Agreed?

Glowing oceans though, those would be flippin' amazing!

Edited by Hammersamatom

Most planet packs do planets something like this:

Mods
{
VertexHeightMap {
map = blahblahblah.png
offset = 0
deformity = 10500
order = 20
enabled = true
}
VertexColorMap
{
map = blahblahblah.png
order = 22
enabled = true
}
}

However, there are a ton of other PQS Mods that you can use such as VertexHeightNoise, VertexSimplexHeight and HeightColorMap, all of which are procedural.

FlattenOcean <--- flattens all terrain below a certain, specifiable point. Is used by almost all stock planets without oceans. Is what makes minmus's flats so flat

HeightColorMap <--- procedurally colors the terrain based on height. Used by many stock planets

HeightColorMap2 <--- not really useful, as HeightColorMap does everything this does.

HeightColorMapNoise <--- same as HeightColorMap, but with some added noise to make it interesting

VertexColorMap <--- texture based mod everyone uses

VertexColorMapBlend <--- same as VertexColorMap, but with blending.

VertexColorNoise <--- completely noise based color

VertexColorNoiseRGB <--- same as VertexColorNoise, but with blending. HOWEVER, because it's noise based color, there is also support for per-channel blending, hence the RGB

VertexColorSolid <--- one big solid color

VertexColorSolidBlend <--- solid color, but with blending.

VertexDefineCoastLine <--- makes coastlines more detailed. Should be used by all planets with oceans. Is used by Kerbin, Laythe, and Eve.

VertexHeightMap <--- texture based mod everyone uses

VertexHeightMapStep <--- don't know what it does, do not recommend using it.

VertexHeightNoise <--- noise based height. Can be configured for Perlin, Billow, and RidgedMultiFractal noise.

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight <--- its confusing

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve <--- its confusing, but it and it's brother seem to be used on almost all stock planets, sometimes more than once.

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2 <--- its confusing, but it and it's brother seem to be used on almost all stock planets, sometimes more than once.

VertexHeightOblate <--- makes a planet oblate, like Inaccessable from PlanetFactory

VertexHeightOffset <--- offsets the terrain height by a certain value

VertexNoise <--- really cool, but complicated. uses many different types of noise to make varied terrain with mountains, plains, etc.

VertexRidgedAltitudeCurve <--- uses RidgedMultiFractal noise and a curve to make ridges, similar to the ridges found on Slate in OPM

VertexSimplexHeight <--- uses simplex noise to make height. EXTREMELY USEFUL, used on basically all rocky planets in stock. e.g. Gilly, Bop, Pol, etc.

VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute <--- can't remember what the difference between this and VertexSimplexHeight is, but I remeber it being really important.

VertexSimplexNoiseColor <--- simplex noise based coloring

VertexVoronoi <--- NOT the crater thingy. It generates voronoi noise to make height maps like this: Linky

Source: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/tree/master/Kopernicus/Configuration/ModLoader and my memories of the extensive testing for NewKerbol

Almost ALL of the PQS mods in that list are used in the stock planets in some way. However, Kopernicus doesn't support the Mun's procedural craters, Minmus's fractal terrain generator, or MapDecals.

MapDecals are VERY VERY useful. The giant volcano on Krag from PlanetFactory was a MapDecal. The sagan face on Tylo is a MapDecal.

There is also no support for PQSCities, which is what the face on Duna, the Munoliths/Arches, and the Space Center is. You can just use KerbalKonstructs for this though.

Also, lots of the planets in NewKerbol used a custom PQS Mod I wrote that allows you to color based on curves, including tangents and other cool things, which lead to smoother colors. And Laythe's glowing oceans used another PQS Mod to make them glow.

However, there is still hope for implementing things like that.I think I may have found out how to use a plugin to extend the range of PQS Mods supported by Kopernicus. I'll have to experiment with it some more to be sure.

Also, there is no way I know of to use Kopernicus to configure the ocean's PQS, which is actually completely seperate from the main terrain's PQS, so any kind of cool oceans are not really possible.

I might write up some way more detailed documentation for all of this PQS stuff later after school is over (in 1 week :) ).

Edit: And @Astrofox, when I say procedural, I don't mean random generation like in minecraft. I mean the planet is based off a seed, and since the seed stays constant, the planet never changes. Most of the stock planets are procedural in this way.

Edited by MrHappyFace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.