Astro's Kopernicus Planets

Astrofox

What would you want in the planet pack?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in the planet pack?

• more moons
    • more planets
    • "lagrange point" moons/planets
    • rings
    • cubic planetary system
    • more moons around stock planets
    • other, and just post a comment asking for what you wish.

Come to think of it, we should make a planet that is somewhat like Inaccessable, very oblate and nearly impossible to land on due to its rotation.

Well, I will definitely update the list as ideas come, and of course, we can find good ideas for planets and planet names at Sci-Fi.com, where I found an amazing planet generator thing for ideas!

Anyway, I've been looking at a few of the examples given by the site, and I even got one that we could do: a planet that has pink oceans and luminescent plant life, or land, in the case of making such a planet in KSP - It sounds very interesting!

Well, if we can get the luminescent oceans and possibly land plugin back up and running, but if not, a habitable planet the size of Kerbin (doesn't have to be a planet, it can be a moon) that is famous for its pink oceans!

I re-read the first post you posted on this forum thread, and I read that you put wind on Eve - this may be useful for some gas planets and of course, some of the terrestrial planets/ moons with atmospheres as well.

Maybe we should put an atmosphere around an asteroid - just to make the pack a bit more unique.

Edited by Astrofox

To expand on that idea:

A once lifeless planet with unusually high concentrations of salt in it's soil was hit by an asteroid, releasing debris into orbit, and seeding primitive halobacteria on the planet. Halobacteria, which are a type of pink bacteria known to thrive in hypersaline environments. They thrived here, and soon, the whole planet was covered in the pink bacteria. Because of the long nights of the planet, the bacteria evolved to become luminescent to compensate, making the planet's oceans glow. Because of it's glow, the planet was thought to be a star, until a young astronomy student noted that stars are usually not pink.

So basically, there's a giant crater in the northern hemisphere and a large, faint ring system, because of the asteroid, and glowy magenta oceans, and it has a really long day, longer than it's year, and that's not annoying at all because the bacteria make visibility at night quite high. There is a thin, 0.15atm atmosphere which is a pale purple-greyish color, and orbits somewhere between Jool and Duna. It is about 400km in radius, slightly larger than Duna, and has a surface gravity of 0.37g.

It has a single, captured asteroid for a moon, which orbits retrograde in a roughly circular orbit.

If the planet count gets too high, then we could remove the moon, but nothing as cool as this should be so lonely. :(

Amarius, the dev's said that you should or shouldn't share it? Anyways, if the radius of Mysterio were to be raised, how far should the atmosphere be raised.

The devs said I shouldn't share. Too bad... Also, I may or may yave not just experimented with lava moons one weak ago with newest vesion...

Also, atmosphere hight should be as hight as planet radius. If you see something like 1000000 radius on Mysterio, look trough the atmo section ajd find the "key" paramiter with the same number. If you modify radius, you should ALWAIS make the "key" paramiter to same number.

- - - Updated - - -

Heh. What did i missed? I'm from eastern europe so here it's morning and I've just returned from my math lesson. Cheers! Now looking trough the configs of that brown dwarf. I once made an Interstellar like pack, called Interstellar Adventure (find it in signature) that had a star orbiting very far away that had two gas giants orbiting it along with one rocky planet.

Also, I have a request from a friend youtuber from reddit: a big planet similar to kerbin, that is pretty much a desert except for a huge canyon stretching around its ecuator, that has rivers, green grass and even an atmosphere! Deal?

@MrHappyFace: The version of Kopernicus in my development branch (from where I usualy release KopernicusDev versions) supports FAR more mods. (And Oceans btw. :)) :D

owersooome! So that means I am allowed to share it?

- - - Updated - - -

Everyon give me a download with all the progress so far! I finaly have time to work on it!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is there a plan for what to do with Mysterio? Is the orbit gonna change, plans for moons, etc?

Well, we're gona add moons to it and amke it slioghtly biger.

- - - Updated - - -

@MrHappyFace: The version of Kopernicus in my development branch (from where I usualy release KopernicusDev versions) supports FAR more mods. (And Oceans btw. :)) :D

link to branch?

- - - Updated - - -

it's so strange! I bet the radius is the problem for Kosarn. It appears as a pink sphere...

Amarius, I've uploaded the current version (the one I've been experimenting with) to dropbox.

I've also updated my folder full of textures to use, we now have around ten titans to work with, and a lot more terra's.

Kosarn is fixed in the newer version. Needs work though.

Edit1: A huge desert planet with water and life? Deal.

Edit2: I've also seen your interstellar adventure pack, spent a few days trying to get the MuArae comet to load properly. Failed to do so.

Textures

Astro's Planet (Newest)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MrHappyFace, glowing terrain with an asteroid moon, possible life, I like it. That idea's a keeper.

Edited by Hammersamatom

Amarius, I've uploaded the current version (the one I've been experimenting with) to dropbox.

I've also updated my folder full of textures to use, we now have around ten titans to work with, and a lot more terra's.

Kosarn is fixed in the newer version. Needs work though.

Edit1: A huge desert planet with water and life? Deal.

Edit2: I've also seen your interstellar adventure pack, spent a few days trying to get the MuArae comet to load properly. Failed to do so.

Textures

Astro's Planet (Newest)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MrHappyFace, glowing terrain with an asteroid moon, possible life, I like it. That idea's a keeper.

Heh I may or may have not just made a red planet with purple oceans and Red tital like atmosphere... you literaly can't see anyhing bellow that atmosphere! And what's that?! No EVE rrequired!

@amarius1, I really wasn't planning on making Mysterio any bigger for uniqueness purposes, but since its atmosphere is 1/4 the radius, I would probably make its radius 300km, instead of making it bigger than Kerbin (600km), but not as small as it was before (100km).

Also, I like the idea of a desert planet with an equatorial valley.

@Mr.HappyFace, That pink ocean and luminescent land idea for that planet of your is absolutely amazing, I wish we could place an axial tilt to the planet, since it has an impact crater in its northern hemisphere, but alas, axial tilt may not be possible.

Although, I would like to get around to making an entire planetary system dedicated to cubic planets and moons, as well as the Kraken.

Well, unless there's a way to load PQSMods entirely with reflection, so that even mods added by other plugins could be used, I'll still need to find a way to extend the ModLoader in Kopernicus. Am I right that adding a class extending ModLoader and putting it in the namespace Kopernius.Configuration.ModLoader would be rocognized by Kopernicus?

Although, I would like to get around to making an entire planetary system dedicated to cubic planets and moons, as well as the Kraken.

Anybody remember cube planets from Spore?

0hHD8oe.jpg

More images

----updated----

I'm pretty sure that the development version of Kopernicus can be found in the development branch of the Kopernicus git: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/tree/development

It does indeed have support for more PQS Mods, including VoronoiCraters and MapDecals

Edited by MrHappyFace

So, I was thinking about including planets that are like the one in the Super Eve Planet pack without being to copy-cat like, however, we could entirely make a planetary system that's made of geometric figures: like a cube, sphere, icosahedron, any geometric shape really.

Also, we could technically re-create some planets that are in the Super Mario Galaxy series, but we don't own the rights to making such planets, although, it'd give a great view of the Kerbol system and its planets. Maybe we could make some 100m planets just for people who want to gather small amounts of science and enjoy the view.

Ok KillAshley, could we make the cube planet system a reality?

I would like to add something in that is cube like, and a system with a variety of colored cubes and science biomes for each would be nice, although, there would be only a surface and space near/high biome range, since each cube planet would be their own color.

Also, the Mysterio Test moon work nicely on my computer, and I landed in a spot where I can view Mysterio from the moon.

The location: 80 degrees N and 147 degrees W

Kosarn needs to be fixed up a bit, in other words, the terrain is extremely steep and bumpy. Good thing it has low gravity, or I wouldn't have been able to turn the craft upright, well, not too upright because it was originally a Dres probe - explored using only 20 units of monopropellant.

Edited by Astrofox

Also, I have added another moon to Mysterio and tweaked orbits a bit. The test moon is now called Arane and has a new color map. I have also experimenting with lava pools on the new moon, but after numerous crashes I finaly got the lava "oceans" to show up. Cant wait to have some more free time to develop again... I only had about one hour today and I don't think i'll have more this weak... Stay tuned... :(

My favorite was Test. It's pretty cool looking in the tracking station, and it has some nice, varied terrain.

My least favorite was Mysterio. The sharp contrast between the different bands made it look a bit ugly in my opinion. It'd fit it better with other gas giants, like Jool and Sarnus from OPM if it has less contrast.

MrHappyFace, Hold down ALT+E+P, type the name of the planet, and input the resolution. Then click export. Everything that is exported will be located in Kopernicus/Cache/PluginData

Oh, and the planet in the pack called 'Test,' it was an actual test. Seeing as how it's liked, any suggestions for a proper name?

Edited by Hammersamatom

I think I've got a proper name for it: MTM-1, for Mysterio Test Moon 1, so that it gets a better name, but it technically remains the same.

That would mean that we would have several asteroid moons and we can have other MTMs, which would make sense in the long run, and it would also become a memorable 'Easter Egg' for its alpha release. We would probably end up with 3 MTMs for Mysterio, and then we will then give the other moons 'true' names (IRL moons have a designated name, but we give them nicknames for convenience of remembering them).

Also, I would choose the bottom texture as the final texture for Mysterio - It looks so much better than the texture now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.