The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

6 hours ago, sdj64 said:

@PhoenixRise86 Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  I like your Falcon Heavy-style launch and your mission was above and beyond the minimum for level 1 with 3 crew and science.  It's rare to see a Jool 5 without nuclear engines but yours was efficiently done with just Terriers for your transfer stage.

@foobar Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  And you are now the low-mass and low-cost record holder for 1.2-1.3!  You had a great low-mass entry with an efficient spaceplane.  Controlling that Tylo lander must have been a great feat of piloting!  How did you get off the ground with the tipped-over lander, without a reaction wheel?

@McQuacker Looks like a great mission, but can you put your pictures in order?  It's hard to follow such a large album out of order!

Thanks for your patience, everyone.  As you can probably tell I've been getting slower to reply over the past couple of months.  Since I started a new job and moved to live on my own, I have much less time for KSP and I think that it would be best for someone with more time to take over the Jool 5 Challenge.  I'm officially closing for new entries on the release day of the Making History expansion (March 13).  With all of the new features I think the Jool 5 will need some significant updates, and could even have a mission from the mission builder!  Thanks everyone for the continued support and ongoing entries to the challenge.  You all have pushed the boundaries and delivered with creativity and quality.

If you are interested in taking over or contributing in the future, please let me know.

Well, about the thick alphabets, had to act fast

On 2/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, sdj64 said:

@PhoenixRise86 Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  I like your Falcon Heavy-style launch and your mission was above and beyond the minimum for level 1 with 3 crew and science.  It's rare to see a Jool 5 without nuclear engines but yours was efficiently done with just Terriers for your transfer stage.

@foobar Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  And you are now the low-mass and low-cost record holder for 1.2-1.3!  You had a great low-mass entry with an efficient spaceplane.  Controlling that Tylo lander must have been a great feat of piloting!  How did you get off the ground with the tipped-over lander, without a reaction wheel?

@McQuacker Looks like a great mission, but can you put your pictures in order?  It's hard to follow such a large album out of order!

Thanks for your patience, everyone.  As you can probably tell I've been getting slower to reply over the past couple of months.  Since I started a new job and moved to live on my own, I have much less time for KSP and I think that it would be best for someone with more time to take over the Jool 5 Challenge.  I'm officially closing for new entries on the release day of the Making History expansion (March 13).  With all of the new features I think the Jool 5 will need some significant updates, and could even have a mission from the mission builder!  Thanks everyone for the continued support and ongoing entries to the challenge.  You all have pushed the boundaries and delivered with creativity and quality.

If you are interested in taking over or contributing in the future, please let me know.

Welp. Better start working fast!

@JacobJHC has my permission to make the new Jool 5 Challenge thread when this one closes.  Thank you for stepping up.  I'm glad to have someone with experience with completing the Jool 5 Challenge twice, including one Level 3, and also experience running other challenges.  For all of those who have a mission in progress, don't worry - you will probably still be able to submit in the new Jool 5 Challenge.  If there is a change with the Making History expansion that makes it difficult or impossible to judge equally, I'll keep this one open for a while upon request.

@PhoenixRise86 I'm sorry, I can't see your original file names.  I'll take another look, it seems like the second half of the album is roughly in reverse order so I should be able to follow it well enough.

32 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

@JacobJHC has my permission to make the new Jool 5 Challenge thread when this one closes.  Thank you for stepping up.  I'm glad to have someone with experience with completing the Jool 5 Challenge twice, including one Level 3, and also experience running other challenges.  For all of those who have a mission in progress, don't worry - you will probably still be able to submit in the new Jool 5 Challenge.  If there is a change with the Making History expansion that makes it difficult or impossible to judge equally, I'll keep this one open for a while upon request.

Thanks, and yes, anyone who is attempting the mission now and will get cut off can submit it in the new thread. Thank you for giving me the honor of running this challenge.

Edited by JacobJHC

On 2/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, JacobJHC said:

Thanks, and yes, anyone who is attempting the mission now and will get cut off can submit it in the new thread. Thank you for giving me the honor of running this challenge.

Well, hope 1.0.5 attempts are still capable to enter the leaderboards as so as 1.0 and beyond, i said this because i doubt my pc can handle ksp 1.3.0 which i got from a friend (that also plays ksp) and well, the mission seems to be going to be so hard (Difficulty : SUPREME/SUP3R) since many landings and advanced planning (0.1 TWR made it Difficulty : ULTRA)

Edited by GRS
Writing mistake (cant instead of can)

6 hours ago, GRS said:

i doubt my pc can handle ksp 1.3.0

AFAIK, not much performance wise has changed between 1.0.5 and 1.3.1. If anything, it might have become better.

When ISRU is being used, does any resource scanner have to be sent along with the mission?  Because I kind of want to roleplay a scanner being sent ahead of time to evaluate the situation before actually sending in the crew.

2 hours ago, Pipcard said:

When ISRU is being used, does any resource scanner have to be sent along with the mission?  Because I kind of want to roleplay a scanner being sent ahead of time to evaluate the situation before actually sending in the crew.

Simply strap some scanner probes on your ship, easy ? For more details. Just wait longer

4 hours ago, Pipcard said:

You can send your scanner before the mission.  It's good planning, and, many people have done the Jool 5 on long-running saves and had already scanned Jool's moons on other missions.

On 2/18/2018 at 7:06 AM, GRS said:

Well, hope 1.0.5 attempts are still capable to enter the leaderboards as so as 1.0 and beyond, i said this because i doubt my pc can handle ksp 1.3.0 which i got from a friend (that also plays ksp) and well, the mission seems to be going to be so hard (Difficulty : SUPREME/SUP3R) since many landings and advanced planning (0.1 TWR made it Difficulty : ULTRA)

IIRC some optimization was done in 1.2 so you might be able to run modern KSP better than your old version.  But you are welcome to submit on any version 1.0+.

10 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

You can send your scanner before the mission.  It's good planning, and, many people have done the Jool 5 on long-running saves and had already scanned Jool's moons on other missions.

Thanks. I plan on doing a Jool-5 mission someday on my main long-running save (KASDA), but not anytime soon. However, it is 1.1.3 due to issues with KerbPaint (which provided much-needed aesthetics), will accomplishing it still count after the release of the Making History expansion pack?

On 17/02/2018 at 1:41 AM, sdj64 said:

Woohoo!  Thanks @JacobJHC for stepping up and many thanks to @sdj64 for all his hard work, I only had time to enter this challenge once at level 1 but have been a lurker looking at many of the excellent entries so really glad to hear it will go on.  @JacobJHC I've just been playing around with the Kerbalism mod and thinking what an excellent extra layer of challenge it be to do the Jool 5 with life support etc, be great if we could have a new level of Jool 5 challenge at some point that requires the use of a ife support mod.

@McQuacker Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 1!  I was able to find enough pictures with Delta-V and other information to confirm that the different craft could all execute their landings and transfers.  I liked the extra effort to bring along another crew member and collect science, and your Laythe lander was a unique hybrid of rocket and plane.

@kerolyov Good idea!  I would probably do a tag like the ISRU and GRAND TOUR tags, but it's Jacob's decision now how to properly acknowledge the extra effort of using life support.  I don't think it should be separate from the levels because life support would be much harder on Jeb's level, with 5 Kerbals, than it would be on Level 1.  It has been done a couple of times before and I noted it in the short description for those entries.

On 19.12.2017 at 12:26 AM, astrobond said:

Hi all,

A new try to The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge... :D

4zSXE4w.jpg

1st Level, Low weight ISRU SSTO, Just Bill and this space plane, KSP 1.3.1 stock + KER mod, 32481kg, 120273:funds:, 65parts, and a lot of fun :)

Cost of the mission: 120273-118738 recovered = 1535:funds:

Craft File: J5C SSTO ISRU Light

Album: https://imgur.com/a/lrhCz

F5/F9 were used a lot... as usual :wink:

I think this is the most inspiring vessel for me I have seen in a long time. All of my SSTU vessels so far have worked with an SSTO Mothership /w ISRU and a seperate Lander for Tylo, which resulted in severla hundred tons of take of weight, depending on vessel.
Your vessel completely elimantes the need for a Lander.
Was working on a 3 seater version with full science instruments and was still below 65 tons. And even with my meager piloting and navigational skills, I was able to land on Tylo, refuel, take off and land on Pol.
:)

I found that my tylar lander stage is kinda OP a little, so i'd better put 20k m/s delta v on it, 2k for margin safety, and i don't really need nerva anymore, so:

Kerbiting 4k

Joolar transfer 2k

Tylar capture 1k (hopefully less)

D'Lander 22k (20k will hopefully be enough)

Total 27k needed

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

ya

Thnx for that, almost all of my ksp time are in sandbox mode (and what you said sounds like indonesian language)

On 2/20/2018 at 9:59 AM, Kerolyov said:

Woohoo!  Thanks @JacobJHC for stepping up and many thanks to @sdj64 for all his hard work, I only had time to enter this challenge once at level 1 but have been a lurker looking at many of the excellent entries so really glad to hear it will go on.  @JacobJHC I've just been playing around with the Kerbalism mod and thinking what an excellent extra layer of challenge it be to do the Jool 5 with life support etc, be great if we could have a new level of Jool 5 challenge at some point that requires the use of a ife support mod.

I have tried doing a jool 5 in kerbalism, but my kerbal always dies from radiation before even reaching jool. I think that in order to do it, hyperbolic transfer orbits would be required.

Edited by zeta function

2 hours ago, zeta function said:

But my kerbal always dies from radiation before even reaching jool.

I think this is related to jool emitting some radiations that killed your kerbals, and seems to be wider than its SOI

On 3/2/2018 at 8:15 PM, GRS said:

I think this is related to jool emitting some radiations that killed your kerbals, and seems to be wider than its SOI

I think it is actually from solar storms, although that could contribute. After a solar storm hits, my kerbals are sick and die.

2 hours ago, zeta function said:

I think it is actually from solar storms, although that could contribute. After a solar storm hits, my kerbals are sick and die.

If you're very far from jool, then it must be solar storm (i mean kerbolar storm) or something else, lets just say that storm for now

• 2 weeks later...

@IvanBatura Congratulations, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 3!  Your liberal use of seats allowed you to have a very lightweight Level 3+2 solution - 5 Kerbals with 2 landing on each moon!  I think the crew also appreciated the very warm cabins on the journey to Jool.  I liked the pancake riding at the end too.  I liked the gifs, but I would have enjoyed seeing some landings!

Thanks for an excellent entry.  This thread is now closed to future entries, but you can find the new thread in the link below!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.