[1.0.4] Stock Clamshell Fairings (June 1)

xEvilReeperx

Not really, it just mainly points to "run out of time".

That and more pressing matters.

It was neither, they made a choice to release fairings, with this separation option. (I didn't have a problem with it. Also, Claw's quiet, unassuming "fix," bundled with a lot of other goodness, has been out for some time. Claw's version does not merge all horizontal panels into one vertical section, like this mod. So you can specify "2 or more" vertical sections, but each vertical section breaks apart along its horizontal panel lines.)
We'll add the option to divide them in two panels after release.** Since they produce debris that is not actually persistent, we are okay with leaving the very flashy, rather kerbal method alone for now.

**Squad has not announced what will be in the 1.0.3 patch. So, the fairing option you want may be in there, or, reserved for the Unity 5 major upgrade, v1.1. We just have to wait a couple weeks now to see what 1.0.3 brings. In the meantime, this and Claw's mods have made some folks happy.

Edited by basic.syntax

It was neither, they made a choice to release fairings, with this separation option. (I didn't have a problem with it. Also, Claw's quiet, unassuming "fix," bundled with a lot of other goodness, has been out for some time. Claw's version does not merge all horizontal panels into one vertical section, like this mod. So you can specify "2 or more" vertical sections, but each vertical section breaks apart along its horizontal panel lines.)

**Squad has not announced what will be in the 1.0.3 patch. So, the fairing option you want may be in there, or, reserved for the Unity 5 major upgrade, v1.1. We just have to wait a couple weeks now to see what 1.0.3 brings. In the meantime, this and Claw's mods have made some folks happy.

That quote doesn't actually say "We made this intentional". It just says "We're ok leaving them alone for now."

Besides, fairings don't do quite a few things that HarvestR said they would. Also he did say during the stream-a-thon chat before release that they were planned to clamshell.

That quote doesn't actually say "We made this intentional". It just says "We're ok leaving them alone for now."

Besides, fairings don't do quite a few things that HarvestR said they would. Also he did say during the stream-a-thon chat before release that they were planned to clamshell.

No, Max doesn't say that exactly. But when I take HarvesteR's statement from the original devnote into account, my conclusion is he designed the system with full control of separation options in mind. Then, they (probably a team decision) chose one separation method.

The fairings are very customizable via the part.cfg, so we can determine the number of panels, the amount (if any) of edge smoothing between panels of different angles, as well as a number of other parameters, on a per part basis.

Is this compatible with Wheffel's Stock Fairing Tweaker? I assume it would be.

Edit: I tested it out, and as far as I can tell it is completely compatible.

Edited by PortalGunner

No, Max doesn't say that exactly. But when I take HarvesteR's statement from the original devnote into account, my conclusion is he designed the system with full control of separation options in mind. Then, they (probably a team decision) chose one separation method.

If that was the case then changing the separation would just be a variable away, which is not the case. My guess is they just did not have the time, nothing fancy.

Well, without hijacking this thread too far (because it is a fantastic mod that people have been clamboring for)...

To the best of my recollection here is how the fairings came to be. I'm not going to stitch together podcasts, devnotes, tweats, reddit, forums, and such. So you can take my word for it, or not, but I believe this is how it came to pass.

-There was a deliberate decision to include fairings in the game to include with the pending aero changes.

-Somewhere in the initial testing/design for fairings, it was decided that procedural fairings were the way to go.

-Procedural fairings were implemented, deliberately confetti style.

-Procedural confetti syle fairings went through some level of testing, after which PA pictures were released. (I don't recall if this was at the end of QA or during Experimentals.)

-Enter community lashback, some constructive, some not (but that's another topic)

-After some time, community feedback was considered and another statement (linked above) was made. The decision to leave the confetti style for now was made.

In coding my fairing work, I see evidence that the consideration for clamshell style fairings, but not the full imlementation. There is a Field variable (called something like panelGrouping) that is unused. It appears that this would have been a variable that would be the number of vertical panels to lump together, so you could increment in steps from full confetti style to full clamshell...just like you can with the number of panels around the base.

It believe, based on timing of testing/release and the timing of public statements, that they chose to focus on other work (such as bug fixes or aero balance), rather than implement the code changes to incorporate the panelGrouping option. It does require code changes, namely the inclusion of the actual variable to flip.

Again, I'd prefer to not siderack this thread too much, which I myself am now guilty of. So do try to carry on, and feel free to discuss development in the development section so that this addon can be discussed here.

Cheers,

-Claw

Oh SNAP! I'm SO glad you did this. I really wanted to get clamshell style breakaways working, but I've had some medical problems and haven't had time to really take a look. Looks like I'm off the hook!

I just want to say this is an awesome addition to the game!!!! I've also done a quick test, these appear to work perfectly with KW Rocketry's new stock procedural fairings too!!!!

Been testing the KW Fairings in a thorough test both in flight & on the launchpad, the clamshell option works perfectly!!!!!

Edited by Railgunner2160

This plugin seems to be awesome, thanks!

Maybe I didn't quite get what you said, but this way I would end with some struts pointing out of the fairings? Why would I need that?

Wrong. Try and see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.