The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Congratulations to...

ECarinae Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SP-M.

Randazzo Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Kestrel III.

Doctor Mandarb Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO-MKIII.

EvermoreAlpaca - Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Snack Delivery SSTO (minimalist record holder 2.140t).

stewis Utilitarial Commendation (45t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with SSTO 1.

... for completing the K-Prize successfully. Thanks all for your mission reports and welcome (back) to the K-Prize party guest list aka roll of honour.

ihtoit, thanks for your mission report. Just so you know, in case you didnt, refuelling is a gatecrasher event, see rules on first page first post, also a complete mission usually involves a landing / attempt! So since the mission wasnt complete I thought you were sharing R&D, say if you want that linked as a gatecrasher. If you intend to complete the mission then I will link that as and when. 

One last space plane (yes I am addicted to KSP) this one can move 110t to 80km orbit and rendezvous with my space station with some fuel to spare.  This one wasn't really fun to fly home especially between 40km and 30km until moving  some fuel to the front to balance the craft out.

Total costs of fuel to orbit with max payload is 46,000.  (total cost is 293,000).

Don't think I will be building anything bigger although its great to fly and handles really well at lower altitudes.

Also the craft files are below:

SSTO CRAFT FILES

Edited by stewis

11 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Congratulations to...

ECarinae Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SP-M.

Randazzo Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Kestrel III.

Doctor Mandarb Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO-MKIII.

EvermoreAlpaca - Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Snack Delivery SSTO (minimalist record holder 2.140t).

stewis Utilitarial Commendation (45t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with SSTO 1.

... for completing the K-Prize successfully. Thanks all for your mission reports and welcome (back) to the K-Prize party guest list aka roll of honour.

ihtoit, thanks for your mission report. Just so you know, in case you didnt, refuelling is a gatecrasher event, see rules on first page first post, also a complete mission usually involves a landing / attempt! So since the mission wasnt complete I thought you were sharing R&D, say if you want that linked as a gatecrasher. If you intend to complete the mission then I will link that as and when. 

sure, link me as a gatecrasher for now, until I get landed. :) I might even do something spectacular like land on Minmus, now I've got a full tank.

OK, so as far as Im concerned I did it!!

There are a few pictures to follow with a brief description.

Should @boolybooly disagree with anything I will remove the badge from my signature.

Other than that I'm over the Mun (so to speak). I've only been into planes for a little while so to me this achievement is huge :)

This is Kerbitious V.2

on the runway ready for take off.........

hwegqv.png

Up, up and away......a step into the unknown....(for me anyway!)

1z23nt1.png

Making an orbit......

72379d.png

Made it into orbit! Now (for me) the hard part......landing......

2wd3ats.png

Coming in steady......steady......

6f40n8.png

Had NO idea what happened but ended up in a flat spin, burned off all my remaining dV, just made it over the mountains on the KSC approach but landed intact.

I could send out a refueling rover so I believe I've achieved the challenge. It was great fun anyway :)

1zzng34.png

Edited by maceemiller
name change

I managed to build a slightly bigger ssto that can get to duna. The mission video should have all my maneuvers. Nothing really special about this class other than it has some science equipment on it which I used to almost finish my tech tree (one away) in my career save.

My first challenge submission.  This is what I call the Stingray.  It has actually flown 5 missions to orbit after its initial build.  It is based at the island airbase where I have a mining and fueling setup.  I would say landing this thing at the island with 2 other craft and the immense lag deserves a medal.  It ended up broken after this mission, the wings refused to stay on when attempting to take off again.

Edited by ForScience6686
I didn't know how to post pics

And once again it is my great privilege to announce the winners of the prestigious and highly sought after K-Prize. 

Congratulations to ...

manni01 - Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction (Duna), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with  SSTO Sunder.

stewis - Utilitarial Commendation (110t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with SSTO2.

macceemiller with Kerbitious V.2.

MagicFireCaster Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with FRC-P01 Flying Mole.

ForScience6686 Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Stingray.

... on winning the K-Prize and assorted honours for successfully completing the mission and returning home to Kerbin safely. Thanks all for your mission reports and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's not going to win any additional awards for originality or doing anything anyone hasn't done before, but I did my first proper SSTO mission since version 0.something last night, with the imaginatively named SSTO3a (1 and 2 were development aircraft and 3 had an issue with exploding payload), so figured I should do a mission report for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Read an article about Flying Wing designs on the BBC website a few days ago and was fascinated by its history, so I decided to take an unstable prototype I designed to tow parasite spaceplanes into space and instead refine it to be airworthy and K-Prize capable.  Needless to say, Flying Wings are tricky, and it took me several days to solve the engines melting off, the flexing, the flat-spinning, the pitching problem, the excessive maneuverability problem, the fuel flow problem and the structural stability.  Thankfully my insistence on incorporating a high-thrust design negates any drag issues this SSTO no doubt suffers from.  This is probably the widest plane I've yet designed in this game.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160201-the-wwii-flying-wing-decades-ahead-of-its-time

Edited by Edax

Whipped this up in half an hour. The Omega Project is pretty much me trying to build a small SSTO. Being sort of rushed, I was only able to get to Minmus and back to KSC with 3 units of fuel left. I also did a terrible job eyeballing the avionics which resulted in terrible gliding and kraken's bane for some reason throwing me down the entire runway after landing :P.

Spoiler

00a6pkt.jpg

Z3k23Sx.jpg

TxDOlaB.jpg

LaRMs2F.jpg

yfdoHKc.jpg

UorcrWh.jpg

yzWvJ1i.jpg

5SP5Idv.jpg

ymCGMFy.jpg

ZGjjGhU.jpg

igwDQEs.jpg

YUDXuaw.jpg

Po9cQIj.jpg

neeTYet.jpg

leo39mC.jpg

First post!

Mission profile: Takeoff at KSC carrying miniature space station in payload bay. Release payload in 80x80km orbit, leaving a Kerbal to man it. Return to runway at KSC.

Inspired by TrainEngie's design.

Edited by Charwhick

Edit - ahh as SPA pointed out, below - I can't read. Be back shortly! *runs to the SPH*

I thought I should drop back in with the Duna Express - mostly because I wanted an upgrade to Astrokerbal :)

All stock, 69 parts.

Edited by Gojira1000
Woops - no ISRU eh?

12 hours ago, Gojira1000 said:

I thought I should drop back in with the Duna Express - mostly because I wanted an upgrade to Astrokerbal :)

All stock, 69 parts.

Sorry, but appearantly the rules prohibit using mined fuel as anything but payload :) sorry.

Also, would I get astrokerbal whatever, if I were to do a Jool-2 (Pol/Bop)?

Congratulations to ...

RizzoTheRat Utilitarial Commendation (x3 sats), Pilot Proficiency Medal with SSTO3a.

TrainEngie Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with Spearhead-Port SSTO.

Edax Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Furiosa IX.

PacThePhoenix Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Project Omega [K-Prize].

Charwhick Utilitarial Commendation Advanced Pilot Precision Award with RCSC SSTO Shuttle.

Gojira1000 - Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus) with Scooter.

... for completing the K-Prize mission successfully. Thanks all for your mission reports and welcome to the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list. 

Thanks also to SpaceplaneAddict for dobbing in Gojira1000 ;) and Gojira1000 if you want that mission linked as a gate crasher say so, it can be arranged but you are exempt from automatic gatecrasher listing due to having completed another mission (or two) successfully in this version.

2.1 Tons, EverMoreAlpaca?

I'll see what I can shave off your entry.

1 parachute < 2 Wings With a Nosecone

Bicycles are too heavy. A Unicycle should work.

Apparently, you get 0.2 m/s of acceleration from Kerbin's rotation at the runway.

Edited by xiej