The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Congratulations to...

mk1980 - Utilitarial Commendation (96.41t), Pilot Proficiency Medal with Winged Nightmare.

Derpiderp Astrokerbal Distinction with Karpfenator MKII.

g00bd0g Utilitarial Commendation (72t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Stock MK3 Space Plane.

... for successfully completing the K-Prize. Thanks to all for your mission reports including Spartwo's incredible shinking spaceship which earned a gatecrasher listing for losing bits and that can be removed if and when the mission is completed successfully as I am sure you are aware Spartwo, or you can opt to keep it. For the winners, your missions have been linked and honoured in the first post, so welcome to the roll of honour aka the K-Prize party guest list. 

Here is my submission. The designers call it the SSTO Crew Transfer Vehicle Mk VII, but the pilots just call it the "Gus Bus." 
Originally this was a 1.05 craft with different gear and MJ for my main career game. I copied the craft into a new sandbox after I realized that wheels in 1.1 are kinda wonky. I removed MJ and changed the gears from a trike (MLL) to a quad (XLx4) arrangement after my first few attempts to land kept blowing up on the runway. Alas I missed the runway this time, but decided to call it good after a standard crew rotation mission.

@boolybooly i forgot to tag you :)

Edited by DustInTheWind
tag

Well, I thought I'd try to hit the runway with a design I had come up with to place communication satellites in orbit. Just a nudge or two with the vernor gets the comsat and TR-2C out of the bay. The lift to drag ratio on this is awful, but it gets the job done. Since the design reminds me of a collapsible broadhead, I call this one "Archer." I still tend to overshoot or undershoot the runway, but this turns well enough and has extra LF to make it back to KSC.

I designed this for the Heavy SSTO Efficiency Challange and since there is an album already uploaded i submit it also here.

I basically copied my design from Skylon - first i didn't want to, but in the end the high mass of the engine cluster forced me to put it near the Center of Mass for balanced empty flight.

"The Orange Clockwork" has 126 parts and 252.9 t (including 72t Payload) on takeoff and an empty mass of 77.3t. It has around 730m/s left when the payload is deployed in a 300x300km Orbit.

Edited by KroShan
Payload mass and remaining dV

Congratulations to....

DustInTheWind Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with SSTO CTV MkVII "Gus Bus".

- Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Archer.

Kroshan Utilitarial Commendation (72t), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with The Orange Clockwork.

SpaceplaneAddict Utilitarial Commendation with Executable.

.... for completing the K-Prize mission successfully with many creative designs. Thanks all for you mission reports and welcome to the roll of honour, aka the guest list for the K-Prize party.

The Dresliner:  

http://imgur.com/a/blxHi

1664 Passengers, 2039t launch mass.  Capable of landing everywhere but Tylo and Eve.  So far I have only actually flown it to Minmus and Dres.  ISRU refueling needed if you do land somewhere.  Currently editing a video of the inaugural flight.

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

My latest and greatest. A nice looking, MK2 SSTO SpacePlane that has over 5K DV remaining after launch to LKO. Room for 2 crew, docking port and full RCS make this a very practical and useful ship. I flew to Minmus, then to the Mun, then back to Kerbin with no refueling.

Album of mission and video of launch to LKO below.

https://kerbalx.com/g00bd0g/MK2-Space-Plane-4xR-1xN

Edited by g00bd0g

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, g00bd0g said:

My latest and greatest. A nice looking, MK2 SSTO SpacePlane that has over 5K DV remaining after launch to LKO. Room for 2 crew, docking port and full RCS make this a very practical and useful ship. I flew to Minmus, then to the Mun, then back to Kerbin with no refueling.

Video of launch to LKO and album of mission below.

I challenge you to take this to either Duna or if that isn't possible to take this to Ike. Nice!

Edit: NO take it to Laythe!

Edited by Firemetal

I have an entry but Imgur isn't co-operating. (I.e whenever I try to go there, it comes up with a 404 error). 

I didn't take too many pictures so I hope my entry is valid. I'll try and post it tomorrow.

Here is The Space Bird.

•36.7 tons

•5m high

•14.9m wide

•16.4m long

•58,488 funds (In career of course)

•100% stock

•100% Reusable

•Can Carry a crew of 6

•Can carry a small payload

I haven't tested it a lot. I just flew it into an 100x100 orbit. I haven't added monopropellant although it has a docking port on it. Its purpose is carrying small satellites into orbit. I will build another capable of docking with another craft but this is it for now. Also I didn't exactly land on the runway but I landed close. Do I get the advanced pilot precision award? I understand if I can't. :)

1 minute ago, Thalamask said:

Yup. 1.1.2 is proving particularly crash prone for me (haven't tried 1.1.3 yet) so I'm still largely working on a 1.0.5 install.

I think you should try 1.1.3. Doesn't crash as much for me.

4 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Not to be impatient or anything but when do I get approved? Just wondering.

Same as me, I guess. Next time @boolybooly visits the thread. He seems to visit every couple of weeks, so give it until the end of the month I'd guess.

Heloo o/ ... I drop in more often but wait for a few entries before embarking on the congratulations and prize giving! Otherwise it looks like I am spamming my own thread and or bumping it which might seem a little underhand.

Anyway to more important business, congratulations to ...

g00bd0g - Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus & Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award with MK2 SSTO SpacePlane.

Firemetal Pilot Proficiency Medal with The Space Bird.

Thalamask Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Silver Dart (v1.05).

... for completing the K-Prize challenge and becoming steely eyed spaceplane pilots. Thankyou all for your mission reports. Well flown and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

EvermoreAlpaca I saw your preliminary report and wasnt sure if it was complete so am waiting for the video you mentioned before linking.

Thalamask I have listed your v1.05 mission with the others for now with an advisory in brackets, but also in the appropriate version list and when the version changes again I will leave the latter in place and remove the listing in the 1.1+ list... if I remember!

My second entry into the K-Prize series, although my first in 1.1.3.

May I present the Flechette! A small SSTO that was the product of me wanting to make a small-ish SSTO.

Weighs in at around 10.5 tons and consists of 45 parts. She's as simple as I could make it at this point in time.

Final orbit was 285,657m x 84,336m, I would've corrected it more but I was a touch low on fuel. Engineering report is at the end for proof of construction. I believe she qualifies for the Advanced pilot precision award, working on a seperate craft for launching satellites.

Enjoy!

Edited by ChaoticPheonix

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have an SSTO capable of Minmus, I can simply fly it again. I made a video for it but it didn't land at KSC so I will fly it again. Also, what would it mean if I also landed on Minmus during the mission?

Edited by JacobJHC
Made a realization.

14 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Ok I have an SSTO capable of Minmus, I can simply fly it again. I made a video for it but it didn't land at KSC so I will fly it again. Also, what would it mean if I also landed on Minmus during the mission?

It means extra Kudos, see the first post for details. Landing on Kerbin is obligatory, landing at KSC is not obligatory but is praiseworthy.

9 hours ago, boolybooly said:

It means extra Kudos, see the first post for details. Landing on Kerbin is obligatory, landing at KSC is not obligatory but is praiseworthy.

If landing at the KSC is not required then here is my submission.

If this is good enough tell me if I get a badge or not.

Congratulations to ...

ChaoticPheonix Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Flechette.

JacobJHC Astrokerbal Distinction (Minmus) with Stock Minmus SSTO.

... for completing the K-Prize challenge successfully. Thanks for your mission reports. Welcome to the roll of honour in the first post, aka the K-Prize party guest list.