The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

Well, I made a new smaller one,GnDbJF3.png

and it gets into orbit,DyGDCx3.png

but it seems that I'm bad at landing things in such a manner that they retain the native organization of their collective parts.  I will attempt another landing from the save I have in orbit with a stricter definition of the term "landed".

6 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Thanks for notifying me. However, I received an alarming text from @luke5521 that he had created an SSTO with a weight of 5.655 tons... I think. Just be on the look out.

Thanks @EliteGuy3, yes, I have in fact created an SSTO weighing a decent amount less than your incredible Jeremiah, capable of deploying a small ion probe. I am finishing the imgur album right now!

2 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Well, I made a new smaller one,GnDbJF3.png

and it gets into orbit,DyGDCx3.png

but it seems that I'm bad at landing things in such a manner that they retain the native organization of their collective parts.  I will attempt another landing from the save I have in orbit with a stricter definition of the term "landed".

You don't have enough proof. You could have cheated.

10 hours ago, luke5521 said:

Sorry to bother you, can you just click on the ship info thingy on the low right so I can confirm it's weight?

Luke5521

2nd in minimalist challenge

You can see the weight close to lower left corner quite clearly but yes I can do that later today if you want...

Well it seems me and @tseitsei89 have come to about the same design.  I have mine at a dry mass of 2.99t due to my choice of control surfaces but I think this is literally the lowest limit of the SSTO spaceplane.

H7qE790.png

Incidentally, it's quite possible to cook the wings off this thing on the way to orbit, that rapier gets it up to like 7 Gs of acceleration.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

On 14.12.2016 at 6:10 AM, Thor Wotansen said:

Well it seems me and @tseitsei89 have come to about the same design.  I have mine at a dry mass of 2.99t due to my choice of control surfaces but I think this is literally the lowest limit of the SSTO spaceplane.

H7qE790.png

Incidentally, it's quite possible to cook the wings off this thing on the way to orbit, that rapier gets it up to like 7 Gs of acceleration.

Actually nope. That was just a quick attempt from me. I'm currently working on a ~4.3t entry but my computer lags quite a lot for some reason and landing that thing with lag is proving to be difficult. I'll probably get to a better computer tomorrow and can hopefully post my entry then. If someone can do sub 4 tons I'll be quite impressed :)

There we go! That drogue chute is probably unnecessary but with that I can land this thing without damages almost every time instead of ~10% of the time so it is there for now :)

4.277 tons in the SPH (so without the kerbal).

Some improvements compared to Kolibri I :

1. BigS wingstrakes too heavy and DRAGGY. Changed them to normal wing strakes.

2. Used a command chair inside a fairing instead of inside a service bay- Much less draggy.

3. Realised that I don't really need the small reaction wheel and battery for anything so got rid of those.

4.Used smallest/lightest control surfaces.

5. Reduced drag meant that I could take out half of the oxidizer and some of the liquid fuel from the FL-400 tank and still have plenty to get to orbit.

Improvement ideas:

1. Ditch the drogue and learn to pilot properly :P

2. Better ascent profile? Didn't play with that too much...

3. Is different intake better?

4. Is FL-400 the best tank choice or possibly a combination of 2 smaller tanks?

But yeah. Good enough for now.

13 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

That would need some new idea. Probably ditching airbreathers entirely since rapier alone weighs 2tons :P but maybe you could achieve something awesome with sparks or....I dunno... Pls show us :)

Well, you asked for it, and here it is:

Binoree I

Unfortunately, can't add formatting. What's wrong with this form?

Weighing in at 1.91 tons. Although not the lightest SSTO, it sure is tiny. Could be better, but that would mean getting rid of fuel tanks, as everything else is vital.

Yes. It's unmanned. Sue me.

Edited by EliteGuy3

4 minutes ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Binoree I

Weighing in at 1.91 tons. Although not the lightest SSTO, it sure is tiny. Could be better, but that would mean getting rid of fuel tanks, as everything else is vital.

Okay nice job. It is unmanned though. But IIRC it is not forbidden in the rules so you win I suppose:)

4 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Binoree I

http://imgur.com/a/qw0TA

Basically the same idea but smaller wing=less drag -> less fuel -> less mass

1.64t

But yeah this is starting to get ridiculous now...

5 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

Okay, I except defeat. Wait, you haven't completed your album yet? :P

Not yet no. That was just a quick attempt to see how I should fly (and land :P) a thing like that. Next I'll see how light I can actually get... So how much wing and fuel can I get rid off...

http://imgur.com/a/B5b7r

Here we go. A full album behind the link and the weight is 1.295t :P

This is probably pretty close to what can be done with something that still could be considered a spaceplane... Since you need some wing for it to be a plane (duh) and you need landing gear to be able to lift off like a plane instead of just vertical takeoff...

The easiest way to land this by far is just gliding of most of the speed with engine facing forward and then just doing a powered landing. Altough it is also capable of landing by gliding only (again engine facing forward) and then just using the engine for the final stop (~30m/s) since our only wheel doesn't have any breaks... but that can be quite hard to achieve.