The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

17 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

http://imgur.com/a/B5b7r

Here we go. A full album behind the link and the weight is 1.295t :P

This is probably pretty close to what can be done with something that still could be considered a spaceplane... Since you need some wing for it to be a plane (duh) and you need landing gear to be able to lift off like a plane instead of just vertical takeoff...

The easiest way to land this by far is just gliding of most of the speed with engine facing forward and then just doing a powered landing. Altough it is also capable of landing by gliding only (again engine facing forward) and then just using the engine for the final stop (~30m/s) since our only wheel doesn't have any breaks... but that can be quite hard to achieve.

That's the new KSP minimalist record. The previous record was 1.4t. Congrats!

Edited by EliteGuy3

2 hours ago, EliteGuy3 said:

I really shouldn't be here.

If I do my calculations right, the lightest possible SSTO and back is 0.6 tons. That's the barrier.

Yeah it could be made lighter without the "ship needs to take off horizontally" limitation given in the OP of this thread (understandably so because this is a spaceplane thread...). Because then we could leave out reaction wheel, battery, landing gear, and basic fin. And that would obviously also lead to lower fuel requirements... Maybe I'll test how low I can go without any limitations some day :P

EDIT: and then do a powered landing. That only takes something like 200-300m/s dv anyway so it's much lighter than holding lifting surface + control authority on board to aerodynamically lose speed...

Edited by tseitsei89

I made this for another challenge, but it's been a while since my last K prize entry, so might as well post it here also.  Made it to 150km orbit, docked with another vessel and landed on the KSC runway, so I believe it should qualify for advanced pilot precision first class, as well as being my first YouTube video ever.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f81DjmcmKw

I don't wanna be just in history with old version ksp ssto, so I build 1.2.2 SSTO-refueler named "Full of stars". Lo-scince (panther), apart-can-be-divided, manned or unmanned , 36tonn lf+ox and precision landed.

And I use it in different challenges :wink: too

luke5521 I noticed your lightweight K-Prize Minimalist craft came to a rest in an inverted attitude and a slightly lower wheel count than it started out with! So do you want the infamy of a gatecrasher listing or will you try to complete the mission with a safe landing?

Thor Wotansen, likewise, still hoping for a landing.

However in the competition to miniaturise the spaceplane, advances have been made with several successful K-Prize missions. So congratulations are due to ...

tseitsei89 with Kolibri (5.200t).

- with Kolibri II (4.277t).

- with Kärbä III (1.295t).

- with SpecialSpeckofDust (minimalist record holder 0.836t)

EliteGuy3 - with Binoree I (1.910t).

...Hold up I missed a page...

Eidahlil Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Bulbous (0.920t).

Hodari Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class with X-1.

Major Tom Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Full-of-Stars Mk1.

... for completing the K-Prize mission with the minimum of fuss (and mass in some cases since the minimalist record holder has changed from EliteGuy3 and is currently tseitsei89, for now..). Thankyou for your mission reports and welcome to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

Merry Christmas everyone :D

Edited by boolybooly

On 19.12.2016 at 11:52 PM, EliteGuy3 said:

I really shouldn't be here.

If I do my calculations right, the lightest possible SSTO and back is 0.6 tons. That's the barrier.

Yep.

I actually made one the other day.

Spark engine. 2 x smallest fuel tanks. OKTO2 probe core. Small nose cone.

Can get to orbit with little over 400 m/s dv left and that leaves ~400 m/s for the landing suicide burn which is just enough to land it in one piece :P

It can be made a 520kg SSTO by taking out some fuel but then it cant be recovered...

On 2016-12-29 at 2:48 AM, tosha said:

So I can get it into orbit, landing is another matter. Does this count?  I will try to refly this mission in a few days, and land on the runway.

You don't need to land your SSTO on a runway, If you take a look at my entries, not being a good pilot myself, landed in the water or beside the runway. Just don't crash or lose any parts.

10 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

It can be made a 520kg SSTO by taking out some fuel but then it cant be recovered...

I think Bradley Whistance did something like that:

Just not horizontal

Edited by EliteGuy3

1 hour ago, EliteGuy3 said:

You don't need to land your SSTO on a runway, If you take a look at my entries, not being a good pilot myself, landed in the water or beside the runway. Just don't crash or lose any parts.

Just not horizontal

Yeah mine isnt horizontal either. And identical to that craft. I jut took less fuel

On 30.12.2016 at 5:50 PM, EliteGuy3 said:

Just not horizontal

think it:

1. can't be landed (only splashdown)

2. is small wing t<1000 C not turn to vapor on reentry?

19 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

think it:

1. can't be landed (only splashdown)

2. is small wing t<1000 C not turn to vapor on reentry?

1. Not sure about that but 600kg identical craft (without the wing) with full tanks can be landed (Craft with 520kg mass can be flown to orbit by taking out the excess fuel) since I have ~400 m/s dv for landing if I fly it correctly

2. The wing is totally unnecessary. Engine gimbal (and sufficient use of hibernation state of the probe core) is enough to keep the craft in the right direction.

Will post a video if you want to see how that works but I will stop cluttering this thread anymore. (Please PM me if you want to see this in action or something...But it really isnt anything special. I have already described quite well how it works)

Edited by tseitsei89

I haven't made an SSTO in absolutely ages.  In fact I haven't made one since before the significant aero changes occurred as I simply lost the ability to do it.  That really had to change so I put my mind to it and over the last 3 days have designed and flown this mission in my spare time.  First some stats:

Name:  Mullet Dyne Crosswing (Variant 5)

jMmFwu5.png

Parts: 86 (including payload)
Mass: 43.155t
Cost: 81,464 (including payload)
Power: 3 x CR-7, 2 LV-N

Mission Report - Click here

Awards (Pending review):

Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class - Landing on runway and Docking in orbit
Utilitarial Commendation - Passengers to orbit
Exploratory Utilitarial Commendation - Science Sat to Mun Orbit
Exploratory Kosmokerbal Commendation - Visit Mun and Minmus

Was good fun to do the K-Prize again.  I'll edit my post when you adjudicate on the awards (not sure if exploratory applies to UC and KC awards)

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

On 1/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, tosha said:

The two-part flight of the wildly successful Phoenix 1.4.

Advanced Pilot Proficiency for landing on the runway 

May I recommend using an LV-909 instead of the Aerospike you have? It has identical thrust to the Aerospike but a higher vacuum Isp, significantly lower mass, and can gimbal. The entry I've got working and and continuing to develop has 2x Rapier and 1x Terrier.

Also, a nosecone in front of the Mk. 1 Inline is less draggy than the standard Mk. 1 you already have.

tosha, thanks for your several videos which make interesting viewing. You have done well to persevere and overcome obstacles to achieve a successful mission outcome. Congratulations, the K-Prize is undeniably yours, along with the highly regarded advanced pilot precision award, you've earned it :cool: 

Harry Seaward, your east & west missions do qualify, see below.

Speeding Mullet, thanks for the mission report of your accomplished mission, just so you know FYI the Exploratory prefix only applies outside Kerbin's SOI so not Mün and Minmus I am afraid and also Kerbals don't count as payload because they have no mass... at the moment... but your mission did earn praiseworthy kudos for orbital docking with a runway landing also placing a satellite in orbit and passing through Mün and Minmus SOIs.

So without further ado (< correct phrase btw), congratulations to...

Harry Seaward Advanced Pilot Precision Award x2 (east and west) with SSTO.

Speeding Mullet Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1st Class, Utilitarial Commendation (Mün), Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün & Minmus) with Mullet Dyne Crosswing (Variant 5).

tosha Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Pheonix 1.4.

... on completing the K-Prize mission successfully, welcome to the roll of honour aka the guest list for the K-Prize party at the Dog & Booster.

Edited by boolybooly