Suggestions for After-School Kerbal Rocket Club

Balrog

I'm interested in organizing an after-school Kerbal Rocket Club at my wife's school, and was wondering if anyone else could share any successes having done the same?

Some of the things I'm considering:

* Instruction on how to use the app - (Lesson Plans? Weekly goals?)

* Concerns for different age-levels: elementary, middle, high school.

* Students Teams (in case there are more students than PCs)

* Student mentors

* "Achievements?" - The game does not have an Achievement feature, how about paper awards for students successfully achieving orbit, landing, etc...

* How to integrate the History of the US Space Program into the club (because it's not being taught...)

* How do you maintain interest?

• 3 weeks later...
Is it an elementary, middle, or high school, or all three at the same campus?

All three, on 2 campuses. I'm thinking of 2 different programs - one for Elementary/Middle, and a more advanced one for high school.

For teaching the space race, you might consider Bob Fitch's Project Alexandria. Playlist link:

It's a pretty in-depth series covering major launches of the space race. It's done in a customized Realism Overhaul setup, so not sure if you want to show that route; but he's pretty engaging and anyone so inclined to attend a rocket club would probably love the videos. He's not finished with the series, but he's up to first orbits (up to 1962).

Personally, whilst I have little knowledge in this field, I would suggest for the older ones challenging them to do Delta V equations and explaining to them orbital mechanics, for the younger ones, give them a task a bit like LEGO- make something that does something, whether it's in space or on the ground; for example, mouse trap?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.