sarbian

[1.1.3] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.5.8] [22 Jun 2016]

3652 posts in this topic

No logs => No support. If you can not find the time to provide the info I need to diagnose your problem do not expect I will find the time to reply to your post.

(New thread so I can manage the OP. Old one is here)

Anatid Robotics and Multiversal Mechatronics proudly presents the first flight assistant autopilot: MechJeb

I would like to thank CardBoardBoxProcessor and Keptin for their amazing MechJeb models.

Sarbian is the current maintainer.

Useful links and companions mods / How to Install / Common problems / I have a bug

mj2.1_release.png

Current version: 2.5.8

• Compatibility for KSP 1.1.3
  • Add ‘At the highest AN/DN’ and ‘At the nearest AN/DN’ time selectors for inclination and plane maneuvers.
  • Add a setting for the node executor lead time
  • Custom Windows new Overlay mode
  • MJ Pod disabled since it does not work properly with the current leg code
  • FAR compatibility included
  • lots of fix

• Stuff
  • More stuff

• Launch Inclination improvement
  • Improvement of the Landing Sim
  • Predicted Trajectory overlay in the flight view (in Landing AP window)
  • Ascent AP Fairings autodeploy with support for Procedural Fairings
  • RSS Mode swtich in the settings windows. For now it prevents engine shutdown when disabling the ascent AP
  • Greatly lowered memory garbage generated. May improve frame rate on some PC
  • A lot of bug fix

• Flight Recorder Graph module
  • Education mode option (rename SmartASS to SmartACS)  see MM patch here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/master/MechJebEdu.cfg
  • Improvement to the Attitude control
  • Dynamic Pressure limiter to replace the now useless terminal velocity
  • Attitude control speed limiter to save some RCS
  • Add "periapsis in target SoI" InfoItems 
  • Add "minimum DV required for capture by target" InfoItems 
  • Add "Docking guidance: Angular velocity" infoitem
  • Add electric throttle limiter to avoid empty batteries on ion powered craft

• 1.1 release. Be aware that the Pod leg are not working and will generate fantom force
  • Other stuff but I don't have time to write the change log atm

Version History

Download 2.5.8 here

Source code available here. LGPL3 license for MechJeb code. MIT for SmoothFoundations & UnityToolbag

You can also get the latest dev builds here.

Usage instructions:

Use the button on the right side of the screen to access MechJeb window selection interface, and click on the buttons to activate the windows. The windows can be dragged anywhere on screen, and their position is saved and reused among all rockets.

Manual

Useful links and companions mods

• Manual
  • Optional MechJeb Modules for FAR & km_Gimbal should be installed if you use FAR or km_gimbal to improve MechJeb handling of the vessels.
  • MechJeb Embedded Universal to add MechJeb to all the probe and command module and use it without the parts. Also allow to unlock all MechJeb features from the start in career mode
  • Small MechJeb touchscreen case an alternative model for the part
  • An other model
  • A video from speedio explaining the basic operations you can do with it (outdated but still useful):
  • Another video, this one by tncm for AR202, but still very useful:
  • Adding "eduMode = true" to the module will rename the SmartASS to SmartACS. You can use this Module Manager patch to do it.

How to Install

Manual install : unzip the zip in KSP GameData directory. You should have something that looks like that :

• KSP
    • GameData
      • MechJeb2
        • Icons
        • Parts
        • Plugins

CKAN has all the release of MechJeb.

If you want the dev version of MechJeb then :

- open CKAN settings (Settings => CKAN Settings)

- press the New button

- select the MechJeb-dev line, click OK and exit the options.

- refresh

- select "Mechjeb2 - DEV RELEASE" in the list and then "Go to Change" to install

Common problems

• The MechJeb menu is not showing. First make sure you have the part on your ship (AR202 case in the Control section). Some windows protection and anti-virus can sometimes block KSP from loading MechJeb. You should install KSP outside the C:\Program Files (x86) directory. Steam has an option to change the install directory of a game or you can just copy the directory somewhere else.
  • Some function are not present in career. Some function require to unlock some specific node in the Research and Development tree. Some other also require to upgrade the tracking station to level 2 (Game code restriction we can't do much about)

Bugs

There is two version of MechJeb available

- The main version that we release once or twice per KSP version

- The dev version that gets a a couple or release per month, week or even days. It may also have more bugs than the main version since new features are added

The dev release gets all the new features and bugs fix and the main version gets them when a new KSP version is released (or major bugs requires it). If you experience a bug the first thing I advise is to try the dev release. You can read the change log of the dev release here.

If your bugs don't seems to be fixed then please open a new ticket on the project tracker. Don't forget to include a link to your log (see here to find it and how to share it) and the version of Mechjeb you where using (shown in MechJeb Menu).

Please send Suggestions/Bug reports here: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues

Edited by sarbian
46 people like this

*inaugurates the new thread with Champagne* :D

Pulling the question that I posted over there (it was on the previous page) to here.

Is this normal for MechJeb (build 468)? I saw it when I was looking around at the new staging and deltaV info. I don't usually make planes (or spaceplanes for that matter), so I'm not used to reading the deltaV off of jet engines. I do know that the ISP of jet engines are different from rockets because 1/6th (I think, fraction might be wrong) of it is fuel, the rest is air.

I did check back in 467 briefly and the numbers looked the same there.

Edit: Just saw build 469, which fixes this which apparently is an actual bug.

screenshot2_zpsdopwi5up.png

Edited by smjjames

Congrats on the new thread Sarbian, keep up the awesome work.

Ah, excellent, love that new thread smell. This is good though, now sarbian will be able to update the OP with relevant information for new comers to the mod.

(posting mainly to get the little green icon on the thread)

For those who like to roll their own, here is the Module Manager configuration file that I use with the OpenTree tech tree. (Also posted on the OpenTree thread.)

/////////////////////
// Add MechJeb to the probe cores
/////////////////////
@PART[*]:HAS[#vesselType[Probe],#category[Pods],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]
{
// insert MechJeb module with revised tech tree assignments//
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

/////////////////////
// change the technology requirements for MechJeb
/////////////////////
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MechJebCore]]:NEEDS[!OpenTree]
{
// delete any existing MechJebCore modules //
!MODULE[MechJebCore] { }

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advRocketry }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advRocketry }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = fuelSystems }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = basicRocketry }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = fuelSystems }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = generalRocketry }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = aerodynamicSystems }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = specializedConstruction }
}
}

}

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
@TechRequired = basicRocketry
}

/////////////////////
// change the technology requirements for MechJeb in OpenTree configuration
/////////////////////
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MechJebCore]]:NEEDS[OpenTree]
{
// delete any existing MechJebCore modules //
!MODULE[MechJebCore] { }

MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = lightRocketryI }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = lightRocketryIV }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = lightRocketryIV }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = highThrustMedRocketry }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = lightRocketryIV }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = rcsI }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = start }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = rcsI }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = roverTechII }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = lightRocketryII }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = lightRocketryIII }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = aviationII }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = dockingI }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = dockingI }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = dockingI }
}
}

}

skips

Looking forward to your continued work with MechJeb, Mr Sarbian. :)

I changed something about that a couple of weeks ago. Did you try with the last dev or the older release ?

I'll check the latest Dev,but this would be the last (I thought) release version.

Just spotted 469 a min ago and edited the post above.

I would have made a github issue, but I wasn't entirely sure if it was 'normal' for MechJeb, so... The deltaV time of centuries didn't make sense to me anyway, heh.

Thimbs up to ya Sarbian :)

Good day good sirs

I'm currently having a major issue with the ascent guidance system. Once my apoapsis hits the automatic altitude turn point my mechjeb spins the ship around. (As in aims it right at ground). I have had minor success bypassing this by not enabling ascent guidance until it is above the auto altitude turn point but it it flies kinda of irregularly. I am currently using mechJeb 2.5.1 on the kerbal 1.0.

I would report bug on github...but I'm pretty illiterate to github.

Get the latest dev version of mechjeb and the 1.0.2 version of ksp.

In each case I hyper-edited these craft to orbit.

With the last RELEASE build 2.5.1, the behavior was 100% reversed from what is pictured below. (IE, DPAI showed 180º and docking ports aligned 180º from what is pictured below) The shots below were made with 2.5.1-b469

Clamp-O-Tron

kfvfyuS.png

• Visual Alignment: 0º
  • DPAI reported Alignment: 0º

-------------------

Clamp-O-Tron Jr.

P3utcKY.png

• Visual Alignment: 0º

-------------------

Shielded Clamp-O-Tron

bpB2nvk.png

• Visual Alignment: 180º

The Shielded port confuses me. You can see that the capsules are meeting one another "upside-down" where as the other meet "right-side-up" is MechJeb coded this way? If is, how is it that DPAI shows them at 0º?

Such hype! Congrats on the new thread, Sarbian.

Thank you so much for all the endless, tireless support you've been providing to all of us.

The Shielded port confuses me. You can see that the capsules are meeting one another "upside-down" where as the other meet "right-side-up" is MechJeb coded this way? If is, how is it that DPAI shows them at 0º?

uh. I ll have to check how DPAI generate its roll value. MJ aligns the axis of one of the part transform. I guess DPAI uses the docking transform instead of the part.

I guess you consider the alignment of the Clamp-O-Tron with #469 to be the right one ?

Yes, 469 is behaving correctly IMHO. At least for the unshielded ports... I guess since you can't see this info on the stock game no one noticed/cared the shielded port was odd man out with regards to its docking transform rotation relative to the visual model?

Edited by tg626

Hm, a thought, what happens if you use tweakableeverything to open the shielded one before flight?

Eh, it's a really minor one and as tg said, it just seems to be the odd man out.

During propulsive landings, mechjeb starts propulsive deceleration too early, when I get to the ground there is no fuel left, I didn't have this problems with previous versions.

I posted awhile back that Mechjeb was starting burns late sometimes compared with what KER said. I think I found out why. If you don't have enough dV in the current stage for the burn, KER factors in TWR/dV of the next stage and shows the burn needs to be sooner if the next stage has a lower TWR which it often does. This would also explain why sometimes when I just tell MJ to circularize, it can be off by quit a bit because it starts the burn too late because of not factoring the TWR of the next stage needed to finish the burn.

And so does MJ.

Hm, a thought, what happens if you use tweakableeverything to open the shielded one before flight?

Eh, it's a really minor one and as tg said, it just seems to be the odd man out.

I have TE and I think I did open it in the VAB... I'll have to check and see if that makes a difference...

And so does MJ.

Then something I have is causing a problem because I am seeing MJ start the burn late when staging is needed during the burn. It often seems to be a tiny bit late even when there is no staging according to KER. But then it's only like 1-2sec or less.

KSP: 1.0.2 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.4.1

Chatterer - 0.9.5.86

Community Resource Pack - 0.4.2

ElectricalParts - 1.6

Engine Lighting - 1.3

Firespitter - 7.1.2

KAS - 0.5.2

Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.16.6

KIS - 1.1.5

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

NavHud - 1.2.1

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2

Civilian Population - 1.5.1

RCS Build Aid - 0.7.1

SCANsat - 1.1.2.1

StageRecovery - 1.5.6

TextureReplacer - 2.4.6

Trajectories - 1.3

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.3.2.1

Transfer Window Planner - 1.3.0.1

USI Exploration Pack - 0.4.1

MKS - 0.30.3

USI-LS - 0.1.2

Universal Storage - 1.1.0.4

Waypoint Manager - 2.3.2

[x] Science! - 4.4

Vorg, which version of MechJeb are you using? You didn't mention that. Also check the newest dev build if you haven't already.

Much <3 @ sabian. Thread cleanup/reboot = less headache, definitely.

Can anyone tell me if they see something similar? Using reaction wheel only, no probe core, mechjeb can control elevons for roll but not pitch and yaw. Found a fixed bug #113 that is sort of related. Not sure if this is bug or working as intended, or if I am trying to do something stupid.

Note: am trying to shave pounds, which is why I am trying without a probe core if anyone is wondering, on a tiny ssto.

Hellu !!

I downloaded the addon.. and did as the manual said.

Manual install : unzip the zip in KSP GameData directory. You should have something that looks like that :

• KSP
    • GameData
      • MechJeb2
        • Icons
        • Parts
        • Plugin

But still i dont get it to work..

Dont see the add in the game.

Vorg, which version of MechJeb are you using? You didn't mention that. Also check the newest dev build if you haven't already.

I have 469 right now and I saw a late burn last night that gave me an ~82k x ~76k orbit from and ~80k AP. I have been seeing this across several version. I don't do that many launches because I spend most of the time I have working on designs. But I do see late burns nearly every time I tell MJ to do the burn regardless if it is one setup by MJ or me. The biggest factor does seem to be when spanning stages, though long burns in general seem to be more noticeble.