Constellation Mission Packs Discussion Thread!

Still focusing on part efficiency, I've built my launch vehicles (For the first time, at least) and the Orion Capsule. My ultimate goal is to never have more than 250 parts on-screen at any point in the mission, though some parts may be unavoidable.

mGuPgGj.png

Test launch. With partially empty orange tanks, this can take the 60 tons required into a 240x240km orbit, and then some. I could theoretically lower part count even more by using a Mammoth instead of 5 vectors, but I don't think that will be necessary. Part Count: 90 (no payload)

QAhZfRZ.png

The Ares I will likely need a little bit of work. I made it proportionally accurate to the IRL version, but the loss was scale with the Ares V (it's also hideously overpowered). I will probably scale this one down a bit. Part Count: 150 (with Orion)

j1hr7qD.png

Also, this beauty. I sacrificed a bit of aesthetics for part count and functionality, but it's still looking good. Part count: 50 (without launch escape tower). Also, this version only holds 3 Kerbals. I have a similar 6 kerbal version that I may trim down a bit.

15 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

chose to use radiators

The correct choice. :D

7 hours ago, Servo said:

Still focusing on part efficiency, I've built my launch vehicles (For the first time, at least) and the Orion Capsule. My ultimate goal is to never have more than 250 parts on-screen at any point in the mission, though some parts may be unavoidable.

Looking great so far, really nice work man.

• 1 month later...

For a while now I was debating on whether or not I should give the Constellation Mission a go, and I decided to do the Lunar part of the mission. I already have a solid Ares V and Ares 1, so the only thing I need now is the Altair Lander, which will take some time. Orion is as close as I could get it, and so are the entire launch vehicles. Here's a quick preview of what's to come:

ZQZV5YH.png

SBJ50Lg.png

Both have a TWR over 2, so they are plenty powerful.

One question. As you can see on this lander: 

Related image

the descent stage isn't covered. But, on this one: 

Image result for altair lander

the descent stage is covered. I know both are technically 'correct', but which one would be better to make, if you know what I mean. I don't mind making either, so I might make the second lander pictured above.

Edited by Munbro Kerman

34 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

One question. As you can see on this lander: 

Related image

the descent stage isn't covered. But, on this one: 

Image result for altair lander

the descent stage is covered. I know both are technically 'correct', but which one would be better to make, if you know what I mean. I don't mind making either, so I might make the second lander pictured above.

I will reply with a question I asked back in 2015:

On 6/5/2015 at 5:14 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Question!

I see that on Majorjim's Altair lander, you can see fuel tanks, like this:

jsc2007e113281.jpg

But other images of Altair show a housing for the fuel tanks, like this:

DT%20oct%202010%20image.JPG

Can anyone tell me which is correct?

Seriously, it never flew, so they're both correct.  Do whichever you prefer. :) 

Update: Descent stage is finished with only very few kinks that I need to work out. Took it out for a test using the Set Orbit cheat and landed with plenty of fuel to spare. Similar story with the ascent stage, 900 m/s delta-v left after making a 25 km orbit; allowing plenty of room for error.

10 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Is this thread just for discussing stock mission packs, or are modded ones okay to showcase and discuss too?

10 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I believe this is just for stock packs, but I may be wrong.

It has been mostly stock part builds but if you are making some constellation craft modded parts is A OK.

I just love seeing constellation stuff! It's a bit of an obsession. :D

Well if it's mostly for stock then I won't stay here long; I will share a couple pictures though because I'm quite pleased with these designs (they're not the most accurate but they're supposed to be as accurate as possible whilst still being functional).

PddV7Ss.jpg

bsk4kHw.jpg

SHqNpvm.jpg

I made these for this challenge, which I get the feeling might be of interest to some people in this thread.

• 4 months later...

I put this together in less than an hour or so.

But here are my craft so far:

Altair

bT35Gvr.png

Orion

While making the Orion and after playing RO like, alot, i realized that the stock KSP fueling system overpowered, like 3x more than necessary.

rrV1Z7p.png

gNZGgmk.png

Ares I

3lW91Ah.png

Ares V

While building the Ares V, i realized the fact that KSP rockets are underpowered, my Ares V can only send ~50 tons to LKO, compared to the 130 the real Ares V could send to LEO. I honestly thought it could send like 300 tons, compared to the size of Kerbin. But the lead fuel tanks say otherwise apparently...

BUv9y1x.png

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Ares V

While building the Ares V, i realized the fact that KSP rockets are underpowered, my Ares V can only send ~50 tons to LKO, compared to the 130 the real Ares V could send to LEO. I honestly thought it could send like 300 tons, compared to the size of Kerbin. But the lead fuel tanks say otherwise apparently...

Use your Ares 1 boosters on your Ares V, it was 113m tall, and Kerbal Scale is about .64 so yours is way too short, then you will have plenty of tonnage

Edited by selfish_meme

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Use your Ares 1 boosters on your Ares V, it was 113m tall, and Kerbal Scale is about .64 so yours is way too short, then you will have plenty of tonnage

Thanks alot for the tip, i will try that out. And although the the real Ares V is much bigger, i wont make it as big is the real Ares, and because the 113x.64=72ish. I will try making it twice as tall as i have it now.

But really, if it can carry 38 tons to the Mun, im happy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.