[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

Filter request - DONE! Excellent idea. Will be in the next pack. Rather than filter by MFG you'll be able to go into 'Advanced' mode with the part list and at the bottom will be all the parts from the Maritime Pack under it's own tab.

Yep, rudder got moved back when I used an old .cfg. It WILL be in utilities, one way or another.

What are you trying to mount the stack to? Looks good on my end.

Got around to actually checking. It does the same thing with angle snap off (that is, point down).

screenshot48_zpsangmm2iq.png

First off, I love this. I love boats, and this pack is exactly for me. Having said that, I really need some help. I tried building a bog-standard carrier, and, well, I am having control issues. Specifically, no matter what I do, I can't seem to make the game recognize the CVE bridge as a command module. I'm fairly certain I've managed to set it as the vessel root part, but when I try to launch the game tells me something along the lines of: "No command module present, the vessel will not be controllable" What do?

Puwkgq0l.png

This is with the mouse hovered over the bridge, and the green highlight seems to indicate that it is indeed the root. I'm a bit stumped by this one folks.

Got around to actually checking. It does the same thing with angle snap off (that is, point down).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot48_zpsangmm2iq.png

When it does connect to the node, is it correct then? I know when you first click on it and start dragging it around it's not oriented correct. Just never got around to rotating it. But the node should be correct and with angle snap off it should surface mount correctly. I just made a porcupine out of a hull piece and I can duplicate your image. All I had to do was rotate it and it does orient correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

First off, I love this. I love boats, and this pack is exactly for me. Having said that, I really need some help. I tried building a bog-standard carrier, and, well, I am having control issues. Specifically, no matter what I do, I can't seem to make the game recognize the CVE bridge as a command module. I'm fairly certain I've managed to set it as the vessel root part, but when I try to launch the game tells me something along the lines of: "No command module present, the vessel will not be controllable" What do?

http://i.imgur.com/Puwkgq0l.png

This is with the mouse hovered over the bridge, and the green highlight seems to indicate that it is indeed the root. I'm a bit stumped by this one folks.

As intended, if you can believe that. Since you're building the hull rather than placing the command module first, KSP assumes the bridge is just a crew's quarters and doesn't put any Kerbals in it. Just click on your crew tab, place a couple of Kerbals in it and, you're set.

By the way, try putting your blisters on the sides of the hull rather than the bottom. The way you have them you're adding flotation but being on the bottom, you're creating a good bit of instability. It'll want to roll over on it's side.

Edited by Fengist

As intended, if you can believe that. Since you're building the hull rather than placing the command module first, KSP assumes the bridge is just a crew's quarters and doesn't put any Kerbals in it. Just click on your crew tab, place a couple of Kerbals in it and, you're set.

By the way, try putting your blisters on the sides of the hull rather than the bottom. The way you have them you're adding flotation but being on the bottom, you're creating a good bit of instability. It'll want to roll over on it's side.

D'oh. I almost smacked myself for that. All is well now. Thank you, I'm of to sail the high seas.

(Definitions of "well" may varyk_cheesy.gif)

JSZ4oSKl.png

When it does connect to the node, is it correct then? I know when you first click on it and start dragging it around it's not oriented correct. Just never got around to rotating it. But the node should be correct and with angle snap off it should surface mount correctly. I just made a porcupine out of a hull piece and I can duplicate your image. All I had to do was rotate it and it does orient correctly.

Yes well, I can reverse-porcupine it (not sure I want to know what a reverse-porcupine is though XD lol ). Anyways, it does the same without angle snap on and it does it to other surfaces as well.

Edit: Also, the paddlewheel pilothouse does this while the yacht superstructure doesn't.

screenshot52_zpsihhc6pr7.png

screenshot53_zpsfzigjhad.png

Node snap works fine though.

screenshot55_zpsbixiubzn.png

Also, I found out totally by accident while messing around that with enough of the engines, it is possible to go airborne. It makes for an extremely poor rocket or plane of course, top speed when not in a dive was maybe 49m/s, it generally was around 30-40m/s.

screenshot57_zpscnveb89w.png

Edited by smjjames

Also, I've taken up that challenge of making a boat go faster than the speed of sound, this is the best I've got so far. Trying to turn at those speeds is pretty catastrophic.

screenshot63_zpsejmxasri.png

Also, the clipper hull doesn't seem to have aerodynamic data for it, when I right click it with 'show data in action menus' active, nothing comes up, but it does for the clipper bow.

Yes well, I can reverse-porcupine it (not sure I want to know what a reverse-porcupine is though XD lol ). Anyways, it does the same without angle snap on and it does it to other surfaces as well.

Ok, I'm not sure what you're seeing. The stacks, as you have them mounted on the END of the paddle stern... look... well, to me, like they should. Initially, I did have the node reversed, but that's fixed. If you're referring to the fact that you have to rotate them when you first place them? Yes, that I am aware of and will look into. But I don't consider that a critical flaw atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I've taken up that challenge of making a boat go faster than the speed of sound, this is the best I've got so far. Trying to turn at those speeds is pretty catastrophic.

Also, the clipper hull doesn't seem to have aerodynamic data for it, when I right click it with 'show data in action menus' active, nothing comes up, but it does for the clipper bow.

Yes, most boats do not like to go sideways at relatavistic speeds.

As for the drag, try this. In the .cfg for the hull, change

dragModelType = override

to

dragModelType = default

and see if that fixes it. I have some of them set to each so it's not standardized at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Version 0.1.4 Released!

For those of you who have been playing with the pre-release, it's identical to the official release.

LOTS of new updates, fixes and parts added to the new pack.

Paddlewheelers!

Surface Mount Engines!

New Textures!

Now with over 40 parts!

A lot of work went into this release and there are just too many changes and updates to list them all. Grab the pack from either the OP or from Kerbalstuff.com and enjoy.

Edited by Fengist

Ok, I'm not sure what you're seeing. The stacks, as you have them mounted on the END of the paddle stern... look... well, to me, like they should. Initially, I did have the node reversed, but that's fixed. If you're referring to the fact that you have to rotate them when you first place them? Yes, that I am aware of and will look into. But I don't consider that a critical flaw atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, most boats do not like to go sideways at relatavistic speeds.

As for the drag, try this. In the .cfg for the hull, change

dragModelType = override

to

dragModelType = default

and see if that fixes it. I have some of them set to each so it's not standardized at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Version 0.1.4 Released!

For those of you who have been playing with the pre-release, it's identical to the official release.

LOTS of new updates, fixes and parts added to the new pack.

Paddlewheelers!

Surface Mount Engines!

New Textures!

Now with over 40 parts!

A lot of work went into this release and there are just too many changes and updates to list them all. Grab the pack from either the OP or from Kerbalstuff.com and enjoy.

Congrats on the release! I'll try it out tomorrow most likely.

Congrats on the release! I'll try it out tomorrow most likely.

Thanks.

Oh, and just in case I've given the impression that with the latest release, that this pack is finished....

Edited by Fengist

I broke the sound barrier! CATASTROPHICALLY! :D

Seriously, the instant I poked my crafts nose through the sound barrier, the bouyancy blisters and the outrigger disintegrated and it was all rapid disassembly from there.

This is with stock aero and better buoyancy btw. The engines I'm using are four of the large karbonite engines.

Edit: Interestingly, all but one of the hull pieces survived.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: hm, I think I'll try with stock hydrodynamics for fun. :)

Edit2: Eh, stock hydrodynamics is fatal to my craft, plus theres this wierd slight list, not sure where that is coming from.

Edited by smjjames

I broke the sound barrier! CATASTROPHICALLY! :D

Seriously, the instant I poked my crafts nose through the sound barrier, the bouyancy blisters and the outrigger disintegrated and it was all rapid disassembly from there.

This is with stock aero and better buoyancy btw. The engines I'm using are four of the large karbonite engines.

Edit: Interestingly, all but one of the hull pieces survived.

http://imgur.com/a/P62yZ

Edit: hm, I think I'll try with stock hydrodynamics for fun. :)

Edit2: Eh, stock hydrodynamics is fatal to my craft, plus theres this wierd slight list, not sure where that is coming from.

With stock, I still hit the 125m/s barrier. Something, usually engines, gets ripped off at that point. Too bad you needed a mop to clean up the first crew.

And while I'm here...

From the R&D Department.

0.1.4 is barely release and there's already parts waiting to go into the next release. First, a conning tower with a crows nest designed for XXXL Helmets... or crows. A spinning radar (every ship NEEDS one of these) complete with resource scanner. And finally, a stationary GPS unit because knowing where you are is essential to knowing where you've been.

radar.jpg

You know, it would be cool if you could add SCANsat functionality to the radars and GPS. Doesn't have to be an outright dependency, just an MM config at most.

The 125m/s barrier is probably a stock thing, I have a feeling that in my case, it was due to aerodynamic stresses (well okay, the reactors collided with the water and everything collided with everything.

Edit: Shouldn't the spinning radar be above the crows nest? Because isn't that going to create a blind zone?

Edit: Shouldn't the spinning radar be above the crows nest? Because isn't that going to create a blind zone?

If I can create compressed water, then a radar without a blind spot is... easy. But it's a separate part, you can put it wherever you like.

Ya know, I looked at MM once and... one thing guys who write plugins fail to do on an immense level... documentation. Nuf said.

Edited by Fengist

For those interested in naval warfare:

Team Kerwis have created several naval gun mounts that use BD Armory and are scaled to Maritime Pack sizes. There are also battleship sized guns for tweaked hulls.

You can find their dev thread here.

navalguns.jpg

The new textures on the hull parts look great, I did the update not realizing that they were redone so after loading in I was wondering why my boats looked so good all of a sudden!

EDIT: So tweakscale seems to work now too, I really need to keep up with these things.....

Well...wish I saw those guns before I did my last video...On the plus side, things got a bit, um, creative.

Never... not even in my strangest dreams... not even after watching a Tim Burton movie... would I have imagined anything remotely like this.

- - - Updated - - -

The new textures on the hull parts look great, I did the update not realizing that they were redone so after loading in I was wondering why my boats looked so good all of a sudden!

EDIT: So tweakscale seems to work now too, I really need to keep up with these things.....

Glad you like the update ;)

Is the deck adaptor you mentioned back here still a WIP? Because an adaptor would be good right about now actually with what I'm doing.

How do I make the yacht (or maybe cargo) command pods be able to be placed as the first part? I'm just trying to get around the tweakscale bug where root parts resize back to normal. I'll just figure something out I guess.

Edited by smjjames

=\

Had to do major rennovations on my ship as you changed most of the hull pieces I was using....

I don't know what you're talking about spinny thing on my mast... My ship already has a radar scanner on it's mast, and it is spinning!!! =P (LLL). Anyway, my ship isn't really needed on laythe like I thought it would be, right now I'm sailing it towards that really long snaky river on the far side of Kerbin. I know the stupid river is blocked in a half dozen places, but well... =\

Is the deck adaptor you mentioned back here still a WIP? Because an adaptor would be good right about now actually with what I'm doing.

How do I make the yacht (or maybe cargo) command pods be able to be placed as the first part? I'm just trying to get around the tweakscale bug where root parts resize back to normal. I'll just figure something out I guess.

The adapter should be in the 0.1.4 release under structural and is named, clipper deck adapter. It's icon looks like a solid white square. The easy way to find Maritime Pack parts now is to click the black arrow in the upper left corner of the SPH screen and at the bottom of the left hand column of filter icons, you'll see one for the Maritime Pack. Hover over it with the mouse and you'll see a hint pop up. Click on the structural and it should be the top right icon.

As far as the root part for tweaking. That is a bug I've probably encountered at some point but didn't realize it was a bug. In order to place a bridge as a root part you'll need to edit the .cfg file for each bridge. You'll need to make this change:

Change this line: attachRules = 1,1,0,1,1

to this: attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

For whatever reason, squad doesn't allow command modules to surface attach to things. In order to be a root part, things have to connect via a node. Because a ships bridge should be able to fit anywhere on the hull, I made all of the bridges surface attach, which means, they can't be the root part. The paddlewheeler wheelhouse for example... if you wanted to put it on top of the Texas parts, you have no choice but to surface attach. There are no nodes on top of either Texas part.

Once you make that change, the bridge parts will ONLY be able to connect via a node though.

Let me know how that works out with tweakscale.

BTW, doesn't changing the root part in the SPH get around this bug or does tweakscale always assume it's the first part placed?

- - - Updated - - -

=\

Had to do major rennovations on my ship as you changed most of the hull pieces I was using....

I don't know what you're talking about spinny thing on my mast... My ship already has a radar scanner on it's mast, and it is spinning!!! =P (LLL). Anyway, my ship isn't really needed on laythe like I thought it would be, right now I'm sailing it towards that really long snaky river on the far side of Kerbin. I know the stupid river is blocked in a half dozen places, but well... =\

Yep, I've been a big fan of Lack's mod. I switched to LLL when B9 became so massive I didn't have the ram for it. Even did a ground circumnavigation of Eve using his hull parts as the base of my rover.

My radar will be like his, but much more maritime. While his sorta represents a radar, it looked too blocky to me. That and mine has my coolish name stenciled on it... :P

As far as tweakscale goes, I tried using it on Laythe and it was having issues with buoyancy (if Laythes water is saturated with salts shouldn't it be denser than Kerbins seawater? It's apparently less dense), so I decided not to use tweakscale on the hull. Plus it seemed to be exaggerating the bouncing around that happens when hyperedit places you on the water.

Hm, is the Yacht superstructure cockpit supposed to have the bathysphere IVA while in space? It shows three kerbals, but theres actually five onboard. I'm not sure if it happened because I launched from the VAB or has something to do with my configuration, I didn't notice until I was already in space. It's my Laythe circumnavigation craft btw.

Edit: I checked in another save this morning and yeah the Yacht superstructure 'pod' does have the bathysphere IVA from the start.

Edited by smjjames