[1.0.4] Maritime Pack - 0.1.4

Fengist

Hmmmm...never thought of that-always assumed they would be too heavy. Then I realized that since they're really light to float that they could probably fly if you put some HugeS wings and some engines on them.or just a normal amount of wings and had them go really really fast. or made them a VTOL.

Hmmmm...never thought of that-always assumed they would be too heavy. Then I realized that since they're really light to float that they could probably fly if you put some HugeS wings and some engines on them.or just a normal amount of wings and had them go really really fast. or made them a VTOL.

Not so much heavy, you can make them fly even with the steam engines.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2uzfj15.jpg

This one is only 6,5 tons, the battleship was about 56 tons, no more than a heavy plane.

So, 1.0.5. What's the damage?

Heavy :(

- Those red decouplers I forgot what they're called don't work they just fart out dust (lol)

- Engine doesn't work in atmosphere anymore so it can't push you to sea on your wheels, either you're going to have to live with 1m/s until you get to sea or make a crane

- SCANSat doesn't work for those who use

- Astronomer's pack + skyboxes ....ed

- Kolonisation seems okay although haven't tested recycling in 1.0.5

- Skill tree changed I think, so I had to re-paste my backed up gamedata on top of the existing, didn't change much though

KIS/KAS all the good stuff seems 'okay' but I'd wait for their updates.

Very sad :( Let this be a lesson to make offline installs and wait before upgrading sigh. I'm going to have to wait weeks before playing again

Heavy :(

- Those red decouplers I forgot what they're called don't work they just fart out dust (lol)

- Engine doesn't work in atmosphere anymore so it can't push you to sea on your wheels, either you're going to have to live with 1m/s until you get to sea or make a crane

- SCANSat doesn't work for those who use

- Astronomer's pack + skyboxes ....ed

- Kolonisation seems okay although haven't tested recycling in 1.0.5

- Skill tree changed I think, so I had to re-paste my backed up gamedata on top of the existing, didn't change much though

KIS/KAS all the good stuff seems 'okay' but I'd wait for their updates.

Very sad :( Let this be a lesson to make offline installs and wait before upgrading sigh. I'm going to have to wait weeks before playing again

I think he meant this mod specifically.

I might check this out later though.

One bit of good news, the engine still works, the bad news is, it seems too buoyant for it's own good, I think.

When I do it in these configurations, it works fine:

screenshot1_zpsk9l9aety.png

screenshot2_zps677hmg16.png

But when I have those kontainer tanks attached together in the SPH, it's a kraken bomb waiting to go off at the slightest touch.

screenshot20_zpsdtlw3tye.png

I usually have the cargo bridge destroyed and whatever is left of the boat get launched several hundred meters in the air. The Kraken decided to REALLY eat me this time.

screenshot21_zps3cgxw23l.png

Oh hello Kerbin (note that I don't seem to be by any parts)

screenshot25_zpszxewjlg5.png

Edit: I tried gently rolling that ship into the water rather than using hyperedit and that worked.

Edit2: Hm, part of the problem might be that the container tanks are being loose and clipping into the ship. Edit3: Okay yeah, strutting those fixed it.

Edited by smjjames

I think he meant this mod specifically.

I might check this out later though.

One bit of good news, the engine still works, the bad news is, it seems too buoyant for it's own good, I think.

When I do it in these configurations, it works fine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot1_zpsk9l9aety.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot2_zps677hmg16.png

But when I have those kontainer tanks attached together in the SPH, it's a kraken bomb waiting to go off at the slightest touch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot20_zpsdtlw3tye.png

I usually have the cargo bridge destroyed and whatever is left of the boat get launched several hundred meters in the air. The Kraken decided to REALLY eat me this time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot21_zps3cgxw23l.png

Oh hello Kerbin (note that I don't seem to be by any parts)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot25_zpszxewjlg5.png

Edit: I tried gently rolling that ship into the water rather than using hyperedit and that worked.

Edit2: Hm, part of the problem might be that the container tanks are being loose and clipping into the ship. Edit3: Okay yeah, strutting those fixed it.

Well everything seems okay in the editing end though, the only errors I'm seeing being spammed are these:

[ERR 19:36:51.063] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[EXC 21:29:35.048] MissingFieldException: Field '.PartBuoyancy.buoyancyForce' not found.

The WheelCollider probably doesn't have anything to do with maritime but the buyancy does with maritime/submarine pack. That exception is spamming like hell and lagging the hell out of me, you might be getting the same thing if you load and ship that has a buoyancy option but I don't know enough about the code yet to make that assessment. I'm only recently starting to study up on it because I don't want to wait on the modders :P

Yes, I meant this mod.

Fengist was previously forced to make his parts ultralight, hence his Styrofoam parts description. It's possible they'll now need a bit more mass?

Things are looking good for the sub and the carrier (the Boat Parts one), if the number of stock subs and boats are anything to go by on the forums.

Starting to think about below-deck part occlusion - time warp sailing a carrier wasn't fun with planes on the carrier, as drag caused them to flop through the deck. Afaik, this would require below-deck space to be enclosed parts equipped with cargo bay code. I saw one complaint that the now-hollow structural fuselage doesn't occlude parts attached inside it.

Sorry guys, but right now, I'm debating how much further I'm going to go with this whole modding thing. After reading that they were going to rework buoyancy and now, after reading why they reworked it...

"The water buoyancy has been completely reworked. Water is now less soupy and it's very possible to build seaplanes. In keeping with our commitment to make the game as moddable as possible all the physics values can be tweaked in config files. The density of oceans differs across celestials bodies, invoking new gameplay challenges. The impact speed not only depends on the speed of the craft when it hits the water, but also the angle at which it hits the water."

it's rather obvious that Squad's only concern is with aviation. I've read over their list of changes and pretty much everything is being affected, including Firespitter's buoyancy which the sub is heavily based on. Completely reworking buoyancy seems to be the only logical step to work this all out and I'm seriously getting tired of having to spend hours and hours digging for scraps of information on how to fix things because Squad can't be bothered to document their code.

I haven't even bothered to start up 1.0.5 and I honestly don't even know if my Steam install has downloaded it.

I've been at this for 5 months now and I'm having to seriously look back and decide if this was all a good idea or whether my time would have been better spend learning to write apps. At least there I can find documentation on how to make things work and I don't have to waste my time guessing.

Sorry guys, but right now, I'm debating how much further I'm going to go with this whole modding thing. After reading that they were going to rework buoyancy and now, after reading why they reworked it...

"The water buoyancy has been completely reworked. Water is now less soupy and it's very possible to build seaplanes. In keeping with our commitment to make the game as moddable as possible all the physics values can be tweaked in config files. The density of oceans differs across celestials bodies, invoking new gameplay challenges. The impact speed not only depends on the speed of the craft when it hits the water, but also the angle at which it hits the water."

it's rather obvious that Squad's only concern is with aviation. I've read over their list of changes and pretty much everything is being affected, including Firespitter's buoyancy which the sub is heavily based on. Completely reworking buoyancy seems to be the only logical step to work this all out and I'm seriously getting tired of having to spend hours and hours digging for scraps of information on how to fix things because Squad can't be bothered to document their code.

I haven't even bothered to start up 1.0.5 and I honestly don't even know if my Steam install has downloaded it.

I've been at this for 5 months now and I'm having to seriously look back and decide if this was all a good idea or whether my time would have been better spend learning to write apps. At least there I can find documentation on how to make things work and I don't have to waste my time guessing.

Look I completely understand your position not to mention the fact that you're not exactly getting paid to do this, it's out of your own volition which already is quite admirable.

Would you mind if I took over ? If you can just give me some mild guidance on what you've got so far I can push it further. The first step would be to simply remove the buoyancy slider from every part and then I will test to see what it looks like. Eventually I'll fall into the same boat as you (haw haw) but for now I find I still have it in me to contribute something. It would be a real shame to let a mod with such potential go down the drain you've put a lot of work here. The credit can all be yours I really don't care you deserve it.

Here's why:

Tons of people create smartphone apps. 99.98% of those apps are lost forever, the hard work each creator spent on them wasted because there are at least 5 other apps that do the exact same thing.

In KSP, there are a limited amount of people that create mods. The mod creators, more often than not, have more praise (and sometimes offerings) lavished upon them than an olde-timey god. Every single mod is unique- well, except for the parts search mods- and is pretty stinkin' awesome. For example, your mod is one of only two maritime mods to have ever existed, and the other one is forever lost in the seas of time.

Also, I've been toying around with the bouyancy code, and I kinda doubt you'll have to make many changes to your parts. At the very most, you'll have to make them lighter and/or make the drag cubes bigger. The new hydrodynamics are excellent.

Here's why:

Tons of people create smartphone apps. 99.98% of those apps are lost forever, the hard work each creator spent on them wasted because there are at least 5 other apps that do the exact same thing.

In KSP, there are a limited amount of people that create mods. The mod creators, more often than not, have more praise (and sometimes offerings) lavished upon them than an olde-timey god. Every single mod is unique- well, except for the parts search mods- and is pretty stinkin' awesome. For example, your mod is one of only two maritime mods to have ever existed, and the other one is forever lost in the seas of time.

Also, I've been toying around with the bouyancy code, and I kinda doubt you'll have to make many changes to your parts. At the very most, you'll have to make them lighter and/or make the drag cubes bigger. The new hydrodynamics are excellent.

I understand your point, and agree completely. And it's a really nice feeling knowing that I'm filling a niche and that people enjoy it. But here's reality. 1. I'm not wealthy. As a matter of fact, I don't even consider myself middle class. 2. I'm a school bus driver and while the hourly pay and being home during the day is nice, the pay checks aren't all that spectacular. 3. My wife had to go back to truck driving to pay the bills and I really don't relish the thought of her being out there by herself. 4. I'm 50+ and while mortality has been a lingering subconscious thought for some time, being comfortable in my retirement is even more pressing. I have 10-15 years to come up with something financially supportive so that I'm not working till I'm dead. I never expected or anticipated that modding would be a second income (though if I had been able to afford to do this full time, believe me, I would). It was a 'hobby,' an experiment and an education so I'm not disappointed.

I truly do appreciate all the donations and the praise. But as many of you know Dice and I have been conversing a lot of late. Dice is off working on his new boat project, and like me, he's not a young man any more. Whether his retirement plan will work or not, I can't say, he has a lot of work to do. He's pretty much given up on modding for KSP though in order to focus on what could be a nice payoff and I honestly can't blame him. My retirement plan, on the other hand, is non-existent. So, I'm seriously having to consider whether the time investment in modding will pay off in the long run. It's sad and it pains me to do so, but I'm having to look at my time investment financially.

And then, about 2 weeks ago, I fired up a new sandbox game. I installed a few mods to make it 'fun', like RemoteTech. Within 2 hours I had a small fleet of geostationary satellites in orbit, a communications station in geo orbit and a refueling station full of fuel with RCS tugs in LKO and then I stopped and asked myself, what next? And I honestly couldn't come up with something I hadn't already done, something I wanted to do or something within the limitations of game physics that I could do. That was the first time since I started modding in June that I planned on 'playing' KSP and it lasted 2 hours before the 'fun' vanished.

And I'm not the only modder who's reached this point (though I seem to have reached it pretty quick). Dice is moving on, Lo-fi, the modder behind Kerbal Foundries is on a leave of absence and dozens of other really nice mods have simply been abandoned... and I have to ask if their reasons aren't the same as mine: motivation? Investment vs. reward? Lack of fun?

I haven't reached any solid decision yet, but before I spend hours going though every single part in both mods to find out how badly Squad has screwed these mods over I'm going to spend a bit more time thinking on it.

Ah, I see. Modding appears to be a young man's game =P It's interesting to see somebody else's perspective on the game, as I'm your typical over-enthusiastic college student...

If you end up abandoning this mod, at least make sure it goes to a proper caretaker, as this mod really does fill a niche.

What he said. I would hate for this mod to be abandoned. It would break my heart even more than if I was never able to hear my KAX fighter's engine again. I hope the kids on your bus are polite like I am to my bus driver.

- - - Updated - - -

(Starts playing anchors aweigh on bagpipes because bagpipes)

I just loaded up 1.0.5 and tested both of my mods. Anger and disgust doesn't even begin to describe the new and 'improved' buoyancy. When the ass end of one of my boats completely submerges, then comes back out of the water and then submerges again, I cannot for the life of me see how that's an improvident. And quite honestly, when I read the new physics descriptions and I see things like this:

buoyancyWaterDragScalarLerpDotMult = 1.25 // The multiplier to the verticality dot which is subtracted from the base to compute the multiplier to lerp rate

and this:

buoyancyWaterDragScalar = 4.5 // Initial drag scalar for floating parts. The scalar is this when a part first splashes down, then slowly lerps to the End value. When the part is < buoyancyWaterDragMinVel, or no part on the vessel is splashed down, it lerps back to this value

I realize just how many times I'd have to restart KSP and tinker with these numbers in order to figure out what the hell it is he's talking about. And while I've considered completely rewriting buoyancy in the past, I have to ask myself now, why would I do that?

For now, until I cool off... these mods are, to one degree or another, busted.

But hey, you can land your planes on water now and you have this really disgusting underwater camera!

Edited by Fengist

I just loaded up 1.0.5 and tested both of my mods. Anger and disgust doesn't even begin to describe the new and 'improved' buoyancy. When the ass end of one of my boats completely submerges, then comes back out of the water and then submerges again, I cannot for the life of me see how that's an improvident. And quite honestly, when I read the new physics descriptions and I see things like this:

buoyancyWaterDragScalarLerpDotMult = 1.25 // The multiplier to the verticality dot which is subtracted from the base to compute the multiplier to lerp rate

and this:

buoyancyWaterDragScalar = 4.5 // Initial drag scalar for floating parts. The scalar is this when a part first splashes down, then slowly lerps to the End value. When the part is < buoyancyWaterDragMinVel, or no part on the vessel is splashed down, it lerps back to this value

I realize just how many times I'd have to restart KSP and tinker with these numbers in order to figure out what the hell it is he's talking about. And while I've considered completely rewriting buoyancy in the past, I have to ask myself now, why would I do that?

For now, until I cool off... these mods are, to one degree or another, busted.

But hey, you can land your planes on water now and you have this really disgusting underwater camera!

I hate the 'blue fog' underwater effect too, it needs a real surface for one....

My 2 cents for whatever they may count for.

I love this mod, and for a long time it did something that no other mod did--even with dice's earlier releases, I could never get them in the water and the kraken always came calling. With the new buoyancy changes, it may not be practical to update and I understand that.

I also feel that I understand better than many that real life will always come first. It's so easy to forget that the person behind the icon actually has their own things going on, that not everyday is dedicated to content production. Many get into it because they enjoy it, then decide at some point or another, they don't enjoy it anymore, that they simply want to do something else.

So here's my thoughts. If KSP modding isn't going to work for you, that's unfortunate, for us, for you, hell for Squad. It seems like you truly enjoyed what you were doing, despite the occasional idiots who didn't bother to read what the plans were. Despite financial troubles (as a college student, I can sympathize), despite idiots, despite Squad pretty much ignoring boats, it worked. It was different, and fun. And if you do decide to call it quits, well, that's unfortunate, but I get it, and sometimes, you just have to say its time to hang up the cape and let someone take the reins in your stead.

Just my two cents or so. Maybe that's more of a quarter, but whatever, I feel it needed to be said.

Real life has to come first. If necessary, delegate some of the more menial tasks to others (like BobCat did in his heyday) so you can keep the mod as what it should be - a hobby. Otherwise, find a responsible maintainer with a Git hub and a community oriented approach, and if we want our boats, we have to do some of the work ourselves. I'd like Dice to do this too.

[EXC 21:29:35.048] MissingFieldException: Field '.PartBuoyancy.buoyancyForce' not found.

I was getting this error too, and through careful investigation (Read: removing all of my mods and reinstalling them one at a time), I discovered that Kopernicus was the culprit. If you have the 1.0.4 version of Kopernicus installed, I humbly suggest that it might be causing your problem as well. There seems to be an updated Kopernicus.dll available here