[1.9.x] Better Science Labs Continued

linuxgurugamer

On 4/26/2016 at 2:30 PM, lude said:

I wonder if this is properly compatible with dmagic stuff, mkerb science and co, I get weird errors sometimes (not in debug, just "no lab" stuff)

Also no I don't think this changes the behaviour, just offers more labs, mods that change the behaviour might not be compatible.

This mod is only parts, so the shouldn't cause any errors.  That being said, please describe the errors, someone may recognize them

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if you wanted to make the smaller science labs have lower science processing speed for balance?

This would be appropriate.  Less workspace means more time to do research.

Considering science labs have already been rebalanced in newer releases of KSP since this mod, doing this would be appropriate.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar info.

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Bug:

KSP 1.2.2

Mod current according to CKAN.

The MPL-MK-1-CC-1 has no hatch, but it does have crew.

I'm rescuing Kerbals--oops, one is in the science lab and can't get out.  I don't have the claw yet.

You want this:

It's stock behavior.  Debatable whether it's a bug or not - I'm on the side of not, but if you think it is, then get the above mod.

On 11/16/2016 at 4:18 PM, Ruedii said:

I was wondering if you wanted to make the smaller science labs have lower science processing speed for balance?

This would be appropriate.  Less workspace means more time to do research.

Considering science labs have already been rebalanced in newer releases of KSP since this mod, doing this would be appropriate.

Good idea, will do this weekend

I am having a bit of an issue with the MPL-MK-1-CC-1. It has everything it needs, power, scientist, etc....and it has 97/100 data and when I tell it to "research" it doesn't do anything. The science per day is still at 0.0000/day. After talking with a fellow KSP player trying to figure this one out, we have determined it has something to do with the "Stats: Locked". I have scoured the interwebs looking for anything related to this with no luck. Any ideas? Below is a screenshot of the tooltip for the module.

http://prntscr.com/drefe8

Thanks,

Don

13 minutes ago, DonMeldek said:

I am having a bit of an issue with the MPL-MK-1-CC-1. It has everything it needs, power, scientist, etc....and it has 97/100 data and when I tell it to "research" it doesn't do anything. The science per day is still at 0.0000/day. After talking with a fellow KSP player trying to figure this one out, we have determined it has something to do with the "Stats: Locked". I have scoured the interwebs looking for anything related to this with no luck. Any ideas? Below is a screenshot of the tooltip for the module.

Thanks,

Don

No idea, but I'll see what I can find out

Any chance we could get the textures changed out so they don't identical to the stock part they are based on.

I would recommend using a vertical line texture similar to the stock Science Lab, as well as flat black lines along the sides.

Also, I'd recommend adding a ladder and hatch on one or both sides of the parts that don't have it.

You should be able to find stock assets to do all this.

On 1/5/2017 at 2:56 PM, Ruedii said:

Any chance we could get the textures changed out so they don't identical to the stock part they are based on.

I would recommend using a vertical line texture similar to the stock Science Lab, as well as flat black lines along the sides.

Also, I'd recommend adding a ladder and hatch on one or both sides of the parts that don't have it.

You should be able to find stock assets to do all this.

Nope, or I should say, not by me.  I don't do modeling.  I'd like to do what you ask for, but would need to find someone else to do it.  If someone would step up and offer, that would be great and I'd accept ASAP

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 3:04 PM, DonMeldek said:

Thanks,

Don

I'm having the same problem with module MPL-MK1-2-2: 211 data & 0 sci/day. It's the first time I use a lab from your mod. I have other stock labs working properly. Even one planetary lab from another mod.

Screen capture: http://imgur.com/a/qTGGi

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 7:03 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope, or I should say, not by me.  I don't do modeling.  I'd like to do what you ask for, but would need to find someone else to do it.  If someone would step up and offer, that would be great and I'd accept ASAP

OK, in that case I'd like to put a shout out.

I don't think it needs modeling per-say.  It needs mapping of exiting materials like several mods use.   Still a little bit of model editing work in the Unity parttools, but no custom modeling per-say.  The resulting files would just be cfgs that reference existing models in the stock assets.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:08 PM, Ruedii said:

OK, in that case I'd like to put a shout out.

I don't think it needs modeling per-say.  It needs mapping of exiting materials like several mods use.   Still a little bit of model editing work in the Unity parttools, but no custom modeling per-say.  The resulting files would just be cfgs that reference existing models in the stock assets.

That would be great.  What do you need from me?

On 1/5/2017 at 3:04 AM, DonMeldek said:

Thanks,

Don

On 1/26/2017 at 7:45 AM, bonzo_bvd said:

I'm having the same problem with module MPL-MK1-2-2: 211 data & 0 sci/day. It's the first time I use a lab from your mod. I have other stock labs working properly. Even one planetary lab from another mod.

Thank you very much.

Encountering the same problem here too.

On 2/12/2017 at 0:52 AM, ThePinkBeanie said:
On 1/4/2017 at 9:04 AM, DonMeldek said:

Thanks,

Don

On 1/25/2017 at 1:45 PM, bonzo_bvd said:

Thank you very much.

Encountering the same problem here too.

Check that you have enough power, and that you have the required number of scientists on board.

If you still have problems, send me a log file , and if possible, your save files.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 9:03 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Check that you have enough power, and that you have the required number of scientists on board.

If you still have problems, send me a log file , and if possible, your save files.

Thanks

I popped open the part config file and went to the Science Converter Module.  The research Time was set to 15 - in the stock science lab it's set to 7.  I set it to 7 and now I have science being made!!  Clearly 15 puts the exponential result out past 6 decimals.  Not gonna rescue Jeb from the moon that way (I'm playing 1st RSS career).

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.25 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
        scientistBonus = 0.25   //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
        researchTime = 7            //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 5   //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 125            //How much science can we store before having to transmit?          
        powerRequirement = 5    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

Oh, also bumped my sceinceMultiplier up to 5 like the stock part.  Why not?  Maybe a bit of balance tweeking would help.  Thanks for maintaining a useful mod.

Edited by Timothius
typo

Honestly, given that as far as I can tell there's *no* in-game UI for the scienceMultiplier, so you can't compare except by opening their config files, I feel that every lab in the game should have the same multiplier.  Differentiate in some way that lets the user compare.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

That would be great.  What do you need from me?

Pretty much switching out the textures and window arrangements on these parts so they don't look like regular crew cabins.

No modeling necessary, just use Unity Part-Tools to re-select textures and shaders from the stock ones.

20 hours ago, MacLuky said:

Let me know if I can help. I was thinking about the same thing, even pieced the Lab apart, but the door and ladders may pose a problem.

Actually, I've seen mods that attach doors and ladders to existing parts.   It's not actually too hard.

Making the IVA will be difficult, but not impossible.  Again, one can use the stock props and just recombine them in a new manner.

True, but I have no experience with that. Re-textureing the outside might even be possible by simply creating a new texture file and referencing it through module manager.

This is what I meant with ladders, http://imgur.com/a/XKaXh No clue how to reference them and tell KSP that it is a ladder ;-)

Actually the texturing the outside is easier.  You can use a reference set in the CFG to reference various regions of stock textures.

I know it's possible.  It's also possible to add ladders this way skipping out the PartTools, but it is more work, as you have to make the measurements yourself in a modeling program.

One of the mod threads where someone added a door to one of the stock crew cabins using just a module manager cfg pach says how they did it easily.

Edited by Ruedii
moar info!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.