KScale2 1.2.2.3 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

The space and mun bug have the same cause I think. It's whenever you trigger a auto contract, like getting into orbit or orbiting the mun. I suspect it would happen if you orbited other bodies as well.

I meant the Mun problem where Kerbin's normal map appears on the mun. The lock ups in different areas are almost certainly the same problem, and still occur for me with the new DLL. I tried it on a fresh install also.

Did some additional testing of the auto-contract lockup bug. The testing was performed with a fresh install, no mods other than what's specifically listed, 32-bit KSP, on Windows 7:

• KScale2 only (using included Kopernicus): Game freezes upon reaching the edge of the atmosphere (697xx meters)
  • Kopernicus only (installed via CKAN): No issue.
  • KScale2 + OPM using stevehead's config and CKAN Kopernicus: Game visibly stutters upon breaching the atmosphere, then freezes when orbit is circularized.
  • OPM only using CKAN Kopernicus: Game visibly stutters upon breaching the atmosphere. No further issues.

When I say "game freezes", I mean the whole process locks up instantly. No error log or useful information is created, unfortunately. I haven't tested any other Kopernicus packs, but OPM at least seems to be working.

KScale2 + OPM using stevehead's config and CKAN Kopernicus: Game visibly stutters upon breaching the atmosphere, then freezes when orbit is circularized.

The stuttering I don't have any idea. My setup is identical to your description, but with Trans-Keptunian installed too; I've put in many hours playing and everything is working smoothly, minus the occasional stock glitches like those darn launch clamps... For the freezing after achieving orbit, I'll see if I can reproduce in my install on a career save tomorrow. Odd that it would freeze after achieving orbit instead of simply reaching space like the other situations.

The stuttering I don't have any idea. My setup is identical to your description, but with Trans-Keptunian installed too; I've put in many hours playing and everything is working smoothly, minus the occasional stock glitches like those darn launch clamps... For the freezing after achieving orbit, I'll see if I can reproduce in my install on a career save tomorrow. Odd that it would freeze after achieving orbit instead of simply reaching space like the other situations.

Maybe "stuttering" isn't the best description. It kind of looks like when you drop out of time-warp, and some floating-point calculations are re-run: There's a single frame pause, then the ship jumps a dozen pixels to one side.

It seems to be either contract related or related to "progress nodes", which I saw in the debug log right before the crash. If the game is trying to write to a progress node (orbit achieved: Kerbin) that doesn't exist or was renamed, maybe that could be the problem? Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help!

Edit: I tested with your setup, Kopernicus + KScale2 + OPM + Trans-Keptunian, and get the stutter on leaving atmo and the freeze bug upon circularization in a fresh career save. The last items in my log are:

[Progress Node Reached]: Orbit

[Progress Node Reached]: Kerbin

[Progress Node Complete]: Orbit

Edited by Wiseman

I had the same issue with it freezing when I crossed into space 69###. I did a clean install and only had K2 in it and it ran fine.

I started to add mods and I was fine until I added contract configurator. It started to give me warnings like "took 1.## seconds for scan" (not exact wording, but close). When I crossed into low space, it froze.

I did this testing on Sunday using Kerbal 1.02. I haven't repeated with updated contract configurator or 1.04. Without contract configurator, I flew several hours without an issue.

What's odd is that I was using the same mod set and contract configurator on a stock sized kerbal solar system and did not have any issues.

I did this testing on Sunday using Kerbal 1.02. I haven't repeated with updated contract configurator or 1.04. Without contract configurator, I flew several hours without an issue.

What's odd is that I was using the same mod set and contract configurator on a stock sized kerbal solar system and did not have any issues.

I've tried it with and without Contract configurator, and I still get freezes. Though at times it does seem somewhat intermittent.

Maybe "stuttering" isn't the best description. It kind of looks like when you drop out of time-warp, and some floating-point calculations are re-run: There's a single frame pause, then the ship jumps a dozen pixels to one side.

It seems to be either contract related or related to "progress nodes", which I saw in the debug log right before the crash. If the game is trying to write to a progress node (orbit achieved: Kerbin) that doesn't exist or was renamed, maybe that could be the problem? Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help!

Edit: I tested with your setup, Kopernicus + KScale2 + OPM + Trans-Keptunian, and get the stutter on leaving atmo and the freeze bug upon circularization in a fresh career save. The last items in my log are:

[Progress Node Reached]: Orbit

[Progress Node Reached]: Kerbin

[Progress Node Complete]: Orbit

I just tried in a career save. I did notice a very slight pause when I crossed over into space, no crash; it may be occurring in other game modes, but I have not been paying too much attention during launches (mind tends to drift from the repetitious nature of launches :P). When I circularized, it did crash my game. Same exact thing as you. I forgot that I am using the development DLL NathanKell provided, so the Mun bug fix didn't fix this issue. It's just weird that with my OPM/Trans-Keptunian support config, the crash occurs with the first orbit contract completion rather than the leave atmosphere contract that others are having. Other than that, sandbox and science modes are working just fine. The current Kopernicus version is having some issues handling the contracts/progress nodes with the scaled altitudes and such. If I had more hours in the day, I'd take a stab at helping with the issue with a pull request.

BTW: I'm not using any career based mods such as Contract Configurator, only some mods that add science experiments.

If anyone is interested I doubled the scale of everything again. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/KScale2.cfg

Since everything is 4 times bigger than in stock orbital velocities are twice as high. Max theoretical stage deltaV vs deltaV requirements is closer to real life. It's theoretically possible to single stage to orbit, but you wont be carrying any real payload.

You can use a two stage vehicle to throw payloads to Duna, but it will be very inefficient compared to a 3 stage vehicle.

To go to mun and back you will need a rocket about this big.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/KSP%202015-06-26%2006-59-51-66.png

I dunno... Feels appropriate =P

It will be interesting to try career mode at this scale when the freezing bug has been fixed. Doing the minmus flyby on hard mode gives 100 000 funds so early game should still provide enough of return on investment. The cost will sort of spiral away for missions further out into the solar system. Kerbals may have to go on one way missions in order to keep the space program funded XP

Edited by maccollo

If you wanted that scale, macollo, you could also find it premade in Eudae55's Kerbol 3.7 pack. ;)

It was so simple to modify that I couldn't be bothered to look for very long :) Unfortunately the game still crashes in career mode :/

Edited by maccollo

Experimenting with this and i don't get crashes with the following kscale2.cfg

Gonna test more.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
@Body[Sun]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 523200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
}
@Body[Moho]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 500000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 10526276608
}
}
@Body[Eve]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 1400000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 19665369088
}
}
@Body[Gilly]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 26000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 63000000
}
}
@Body[Kerbin]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 1200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 27199680512
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = KScale2/Textures/KScale_Kerbin
normals = KScale2/Textures/KScale_Kerbin_NRM
}
}
!SpaceCenter{}
SpaceCenter
{
//PQSCity
latitude = 0
longitude = -74.7
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
reposition%radiusOffset = 38

// MapDecal
decalLatitude = -0.215
decalLongitude = -74.65
heightMapDeformity = 65
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
%radius = 13000
}
}
@Body[Mun]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 400000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 24000000
}
}
@Body[Minmus]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 120000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 94000000
}
}
@Body[Duna]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 640000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 41452310528
}
}
@Body[Ike]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 260000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 6400000
}
}
@Body[Dres]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 276000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 81678696406
}
}
@Body[Jool]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 12000000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 1.37547E+11
}
}
@Body[Laythe]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 1000000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 54368000
}
}
@Body[Vall]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 600000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 86304000
}
}
@Body[Tylo]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 1200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 137000000
}
}
@Body[Bop]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 130000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 257000000
}
}
@Body[Pol]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 88000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 359780000
}
}
@Body[Eeloo]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 420000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 1.80238E+11
}
}
}

Experimenting with this and i don't get crashes with the following kscale2.cfg

Gonna test more.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
@Body[Sun]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 523200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
}
@Body[Moho]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 500000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 10526276608
}
}
@Body[Eve]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 1400000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 19665369088
}
}
@Body[Gilly]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 26000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 63000000
}
}
@Body[Kerbin]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 1200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 27199680512
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = KScale2/Textures/KScale_Kerbin
normals = KScale2/Textures/KScale_Kerbin_NRM
}
}
!SpaceCenter{}
SpaceCenter
{
//PQSCity
latitude = 0
longitude = -74.7
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
reposition%radiusOffset = 38

// MapDecal
decalLatitude = -0.215
decalLongitude = -74.65
heightMapDeformity = 65
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
%radius = 13000
}
}
@Body[Mun]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 400000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 24000000
}
}
@Body[Minmus]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 120000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 94000000
}
}
@Body[Duna]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 640000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 41452310528
}
}
@Body[Ike]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 260000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 6400000
}
}
@Body[Dres]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 276000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 81678696406
}
}
@Body[Jool]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 12000000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 1.37547E+11
}
}
@Body[Laythe]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 1000000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 54368000
}
}
@Body[Vall]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 600000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 86304000
}
}
@Body[Tylo]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 1200000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 137000000
}
}
@Body[Bop]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 130000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 257000000
}
}
@Body[Pol]
{
@Properties
{
tidallyLocked = true
%radius = 88000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 359780000
}
}
@Body[Eeloo]
{
@Properties
{
%radius = 420000
@ScienceValues
{
}
}
@Orbit
{
%semiMajorAxis = 1.80238E+11
}
}
}

This still crashed when I hit orbit, unfortunately. What did you change?

Hmm, yeah I did. Weird. What i changed was the radius and semiMajorAxis to use a modify or copy instead of just outright adding it.

I've been testing it quite a bit and haven't had a single crash. SO weird.

Just quick note, I'm assumign you replaced the kscale2.cfg with the one I put up right? Just want to rule out any issues from that.

I got this weird theory that Eeloo is causing the issue.

Hmm, yeah I did. Weird. What i changed was the radius and semiMajorAxis to use a modify or copy instead of just outright adding it.

I've been testing it quite a bit and haven't had a single crash. SO weird.

Just quick note, I'm assumign you replaced the kscale2.cfg with the one I put up right? Just want to rule out any issues from that.

I got this weird theory that Eeloo is causing the issue.

Yep, just tried it twice with your config. First time I had no stutter on breaching the atmosphere, and circularized okay. I brought my AP up to Munar orbit, and crashed when I reached it (I may have crossed into the SOI, but I was time-warping and I couldn't tell if I made it there before it froze).

Second attempt I crashed on circularization, with the stutter on leaving atmo.

I copied your config, saved it to a new KScale2.cfg, and deleted the old one before I moved it in, just in case. Are you starting a new career for each test, or using an ongoing one? I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with reaching progress nodes.

Ahh, I was only testing to 70KM which was always when it crashed. Guess I'll have to try circulation. Annoying bug for sure...

~Edit - Just tested some more and I crashed after orbiting kerbin a few times... Something really weird is happening.

Edited by Nori

For career mode edit GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg

DisableWorldFirstTutorial = True
DisableWorldFirstProgression = False
DisableWorldFirstRecords = False

Start new game

Edit: Crash when orbit

Edited by JeFir

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.