[1.3.0, 1.2.2] G-Effects: blackouts, redouts, G-LOCs [v0.4.2] (2017 Jun, 25)

Ser

How do you like sounds in the mod?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like sounds in the mod?

• It's nice that the mod has sounds but some of them definitely need to be replaced
    • Too annoying, I disabled them
    • I don't like the mod completely

9 hours ago, Jim Meillente said:

Hello,

I truly hope this mod isn't dead, the v1.2 stock implementation is... lacking.

No, it's not dead. I'm waiting for some vital mods to update and then I'll take care of this one. I've already figured out how to bring back some features destroyed by KSP 1.1.x. But prior to that I'll need to revive Analog Control also as it lets me to test g-forces easily.

• 1 month later...

This is one of those must have mods that is truly deserving of the time and effort spent in making/updating, making a Kerbals life more realistically fun or deadly:) 

With fingers crossed for a1.2.1 compatible version, a thanks to all involved!...

23 hours ago, Dentar said:

This is one of those must have mods that is truly deserving of the time and effort spent in making/updating, making a Kerbals life more realistically fun or deadly:) 

With fingers crossed for a1.2.1 compatible version, a thanks to all involved!...

Thanks. 1.2.1 compatible version will surely be there. You see, this mod doesn't depend on FAR and AJE unlike me, so I'm waiting for them for even start playing 1.2. Since Ferram seems to be actively working on FAR, I hope soon the wait should be over.

22 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

Thought about G vapor at all?

What do you mean "G vapor"?

On 11/20/2016 at 3:01 PM, Ser said:

Thanks. 1.2.1 compatible version will surely be there. You see, this mod doesn't depend on FAR and AJE unlike me, so I'm waiting for them for even start playing 1.2. Since Ferram seems to be actively working on FAR, I hope soon the wait should be over.

What do you mean "G vapor"?

The condensation vapor that appears around the wings in certain meterological conditions as an effect of pulling massive G's. Similar to the sound barrier fog.

6 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

The condensation vapor that appears around the wings in certain meterological conditions as an effect of pulling massive G's. Similar to the sound barrier fog.

This mod is intended to simulate physiological effects of g forces, so physical and environmental ones are out of it's scope.

• 1 month later...

As I've promised not so long ago

Version 0.4.0 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changes:

• KSP 1.2.2 compatibility
  • Integration with stock G indications
  • Timewarp compatibility
  • Fixed some sounds being audible during G-LOC
  • Fixed epileptic blinking on wake up from negative G-LOC

Stock g-meters and notifications correspond to the mod's state. If you don't need them you may disable "Kerbal G limits" in the game's settings, the main mod's behaviour won't be affected.

Kerbal experience and other stock g stats are ignored.

Under OpenGL greyout shaders still display nothing but a black screen so disable them in config file in that case

4 hours ago, Ser said:

Version 0.4.0 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changes:

• Timewarp compatibility

Stock g-meters and notifications correspond to the mod's state. If you don't need them you may disable "Kerbal G limits" in the game's settings, the main mod's behaviour won't be affected.

Under OpenGL greyout shaders still display nothing but a black screen so disable them in config file in that case

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

Looks like I'll have to like this tomorrow. Also, forum software is bothering me.
  • OK
Edited by TheRagingIrishman

8 hours ago, Ser said:

Version 0.4.0 is out

Available on Spacedock

Changes:

• Timewarp compatibility

Thank you for the update.

Is the log spamming intended? Using v0.4.0

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/167031784773159763/5AC611D06E2AB476790669388513A5CA2167ECAB/

Logging is disabled!

Settings:

G-EFFECTS {

gResistance = 300			//Expresses the ability of the blood system to resist G effects. Value of 100 is equal to a rookie not wearing a g-suit
	downwardGMultiplier = 1.0	//Multiplier of a G force that pulls a kerbal downwards
    upwardGMultiplier = 2.0		//Multiplier of a G force that pulls a kerbal upwards
    forwardGMultiplier = 0.5	//Multiplier of a G force that pulls a kerbal forward
    backwardGMultiplier = 0.75	//Multiplier of a G force that pulls a kerbal backward
	deltaGTolerance = 3			//The G effects start if the G value is below 1 - tolerance or above 1 + tolerance
	gDampingThreshold = 44		//Threshold for damping unnatural acceleration peaks caused by imperfect physics (in G per frame)
	gLocStartCoeff = 1.1		//How much more our poor kerbal should suffer after complete loss of vision to have a G-LOC
	gDeathCoeff = 20.0			//How much more should a kerbal suffer to die of a sustained over-g
    gDeathEnabled = true		//Will the critical conditions and g-deaths take place or not

IVAOnly = false				//If set to true visual and sound effects will be rendered in IVA mode only but physical effects like G-LOC and loss of control will remain in all views
	//Greyout is a post-processing effect. It may conflict with other post-processing effects like b/w cameras etc, so disable greyouts if necessary.
    IVAGreyout = true			//Greyout effect in IVA view
    mainCamGreyout = false 		//mainCam is used in 3rd person view. The effect is disabled by default because it eats up stock reenty and mach visual effects
	gLocFadeSpeed = 4			//Speed of fade-out visual effect when a kerbal is losing consciousness
	gLocScreenWarning = UNCONSCIOUS	//Text of a warning displayed when a kerbal loses consciousness. Leave empty to disable.
	redoutRGB = 180,0,0			//Red, green, blue components of redout color (you can change it even to greenout in case you are certain that green men must have green blood)
	breathThresholdTime = 8		//Time threshold in seconds for a kerbal needed to breathe after AGSM 
	maxBreaths = 6				//Maximum possible breath sounds to be played
	minBreaths = 2				//Minimum breath sounds to be played

//You can disable specific sound effects by specifying 0 volumes.
	//Volumes are specified as a multiplier to KSP voice volume global setting (less than 1 means quieter, greater than 1 means louder)
	gruntsVolume = 0.8			//Volume of grunts and breath when a kerbal tries to push blood back in his head on positive and frontal over-G
	breathVolume = 0.8 			//Volume of heavy breath when a kerbal rests after over-G
	heartBeatVolume = 1.0		//Volume of blood beating in kerbal's ears on negative over-G
	femaleVoicePitch = 1.3  	//How much female kerbals' voice pitch is higher than males' one
	breathSoundPitch = 1.8		//Pitch of heavy breath's sounds

//Kerbal personal modifiers are used as multipliers for the gResistance parameter and also affect the speed of G effects accumulation

femaleModifier = 1.0	 	//How stronger are females than males

//Modifiers by specialization traits. You can add any specialization here with the name matching its description in the game: 
	TRAIT_MODIFIERS {
		Pilot = 1.3
		Engineer = 1.0
		Scientist = 1.0
		Tourist = 0.6
	}

enableLogging = false	   //Enable this only in debug purposes as it floods the logs very much
}

Edited by DocMop

Nice to see this mod revived, thanks @Ser.

I used it during 1.0.x era, but once find out it was pretty bad for FPS. I will definetly try it out in 1.2.2 and check if it is the case any more.

Also @Ser, have you thought of

On 18.01.2017 at 11:46 PM, Ser said:

What about changing to integrate stock settings and stats? Any special reasons you don't want to?...

Edited by evileye.x

54 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

I used it during 1.0.x era, but once find out it was pretty bad for FPS. I will definetly try it out in 1.2.2 and check if it is the case any more.

FPS? Haven't notice such problems, except for the cases when logs were heavily spammed which meant that per every frame there were several seek and write disk operations that would hurt performance. Normally this mod doesn't perform any heavy calculations or searches, nor loads any significant number of textures so there shouldn't be any FPS impact at all. If you notice something feel free to report.

1 hour ago, evileye.x said:

What about changing to integrate stock settings and stats? Any special reasons you don't want to?...

I haven't done anything about it to not delay KSP 1.2.2 compatible release any further.

Speaking of stock settings integration, there are pros and cons. It would be nice to have G settings in the same convenient place but on the other hand if when Squad decides to move them or change the way they work that would break half of the mod and would require to get everything together again, do tests etc. So in terms of time that means to spend more time on integration in order to spend more time fixing it in the future. So settings are not of the highest priority, I'm satisfied that at least everything works at the moment.

As for stock stats, initially I was against them because it's unrealistic to raise G tolerance based on experience. Real astronauts/pilots train for years to withstand G forces, actually being an astronaut means to have regular centrifuge training to keep an appropriate shape, not to get a star for just one flight and a great strength with it. What can really happen after a single mission is a significant shape loss due to continuous living in zero-G environment. That effect is simulated by the KeepFit mod and it was intended that G-effects should be used together with it to have varying G capability for kerbals in a realistic way.
Also I have some doubts on KSP 1.2.2 new stats. "G endurance 2.12x" - what does that mean? Can you tell up to hundredths how stronger you are than your mate or exactly how stronger you became after a single event? I think if such numbers exist they should be hidden deep inside logic and we should see only some statistics on the number of missions, days in service or something like that.
On the other hand, in KSP world many things happen instantly: rocket building, technology research and many other things. So gaining experience and G stats could fit that compressed time paradigm. "G endurance" numbers could be thought of as a result of a centrifuge test that a kerbal has already passed behind the scenes.  Don't know. I'll look further on how stock stats work and think about that more, so discussion isn't closed yet.

Hi Ser, thanks for keeping this mod alive.

Unfortunately, seems I've found an incompatibility. KSP 1.2.2, Win_x64, G-effects (latest 0.4.0 quickfix version) and RemoteTech (latest 1.8.4 version) (plus latest MM 2.7.5 as it's mandatory with RT). With any single-crewed pod, but also with multiple-crewed pods if less than 2 crew members are in, vessels aren't controllable when also RemoteTech is installed (uncontrollable meaning they won't respond to any command). Even having an antenna active (what is normally enough to control uncrewed probes with RemoteTech) doesn't work when G-effects is installed and 1 or less crewmembers are with the pod. Absolutely nothing in the log shows an issue. It's currently unclear to me if the issue should be dealt from this side or RemoteTech's, but hope this report provides enough info to diagnose and fix it.

Sv8vLZe.png

Output_log.txt (doesn't show aything of value to me)

9 minutes ago, diomedea said:

Hi Ser, thanks for keeping this mod alive.

Unfortunately, seems I've found an incompatibility. KSP 1.2.2, Win_x64, G-effects (latest 0.4.0 quickfix version) and RemoteTech (latest 1.8.4 version) (plus latest MM 2.7.5 as it's mandatory with RT). With any single-crewed pod, but also with multiple-crewed pods if less than 2 crew members are in, vessels aren't controllable when also RemoteTech is installed (uncontrollable meaning they won't respond to any command). Even having an antenna active (what is normally enough to control uncrewed probes with RemoteTech) doesn't work when G-effects is installed and 1 or less crewmembers are with the pod. Absolutely nothing in the log shows an issue. It's currently unclear to me if the issue should be dealt from this side or RemoteTech's, but hope this report provides enough info to diagnose and fix it.

Output_log.txt (doesn't show aything of value to me)

Thanks for the report, I'll look into this. As I understood, uncontrollable are the vessels with lack of crew, right?

Edited by Ser

4 minutes ago, Ser said:

Thanks for the report, I'll look into this. As I understood, vessels are uncontrollable with lack of crew, right?

Unmanned probes are fully controllable (if they have an active connection, as required with RemoteTech). Manned pods would normally not require a connection to be controllable in RT, but when G-effects is also installed, they aren't unless more than 1 crew mans them.

9 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

Ok, tried and no luck - FPS dropped from 36 to 22 on a runway. And the plane is uncontrolable.

Which mods are installed? And post your KSP.log file please.

Edited by Ser

I also did a bit testing today with latest "log spam fix" version and log spam is definitely gone, but also in my case modded install dropping from solid >60fps  ~25fps. Then i tried again with fresh install only with this mod and tried both 32/64bit and couldn't control any stock planes on runway at all. It was just like total "input lock" or something.

I'm sorry but i can't provide more information/logs today since i already left from home and i'll be back in business on monday. Just wanted to confirm/comment i have also similar problems with mod as evileye.x. So in this current state this is pretty useless report tbh.

If still need logs after weekend or more tinkering later i would be happy to provide some more help when i could :)

Edited by Murdox

@diomedea @evileye.x @Murdox Try this build: https://github.com/SerTheGreat/G-Effects/releases/download/v0.4.0-rt-fix/G-Effects-0.4.0-rt-fix.zip and let me know whether bugs and FPS drops persist or not

I just tried with G-Effects and without it using GCMonitor and hadn't notice any FPS difference.

Edited by Ser

that fix dropped for sure faster than light... warp drive wizard hyperedit kraken lord i say. anyways i need to count on other guys with this problem untill monday.

Thanks for fast answer/potential fix and thanks for all your mod updates :) laters!