[1.0.2] Single Engine To Orbit (SETO) challenge.

SETO CHALLENGE!

IeWAn0J.png

Challenge: create the lightest crewed craft capable of reaching low kerbin orbit you can using no more than one engine.

Additional rules:

no RCS thrusters

the craft must be able to return safely to kerbin with it's engine intact.

I am currently working on my own submission, pictured above.

Current Leaderboard:

1st: Totalitor at 4.44 tons

2nd: Foxster at 4.46 tons

3rd: Triop at 8.23 tons

4th: Tomas H at 9.415 tons

5th: T3HJimmer at 9.46 tons

6th: Kagame at 10.68 tons

7th: Alberto de beni at 14.2 tons

8th: me (mattihase) at 16.5 tons

Edited by mattihase
re-jigging leaderboard

the N00by OP's attempt: Mass? 16.5 tons

rPgoc0R.png

since i posted the challenge i've somewhat changed my design from the example, i haven't got round to giving it a name but i have taken off the chutes and top reaction wheel to save on weight. i originally wanted to parachute the drop tanks down a la the space shuttle boosters but gave up on that.

how did i launch it? i take off from the launch pad at full throttle and at maybe 100m up slightly tilt the prograde vector to the east then point the craft straight up again.

after the first drop tanks have... dropped, funnily enough, i tilt the craft over slowly so that it's about halfway to 45 degrees east when the tanks run out at hopefully 12 km up.

p8Jlpwy.png

for the next stage i continued thrusting towards the surface prograde vector till 18 km up when i switched to orbital mode and burned in the bottom of that prograde for a bit before just going for the centre.

hT2acbF.png

this got me to space with an Apoapsis of a bit over 80, i created a node and although the node read 16 seconds past experience has taught me that for some reason 7-8 hundred m/s delta v in this craft takes 12 seconds yet the prediction is always at 16 before i fire up the engine. i guess that that's a bug.

ObrgkAe.png

anyway i get into orbit with a suprising amount of fuel left.

0UPEnkR.png

so then i try to be all fancy and land at the KSC

ofuygEV.png

yeaaaahNOPE, some batteries explode but they're neither crew or the engine so i'm fine.

VDIdB4E.png

and i bring the ship down under 4 drogue chutes, one small paracute and some help from the engine.

YlBOLZQ.png

as you can see it has splashed down intact sans batteries and with a little fuel left.

oLiAEw4.png

and that was my attempt. it's probably not the best way to go about this (as i hope the rest of you will prove) but seeing as it inspired this challenge and took all day i'm sharing this with you anyway.

Here is the craft file.

Edited by mattihase
embiggening title

Can I use mechjeb? I'm not necessarily the best pilot, andni want to get as effecient as possible. I wouldn't say it is cheating since this challenge is based off of building

yes go ahead.

i'd say that mods are ok to use... as long as it isn't an engine edited to have a billion thrust and isp.

Not realy progress (the Jimmer would just need ro drain the fuel bevor lunch to beet my 9.415t's)

But it was fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Well not really progress, but it was fun doing it.

9.415t MK2 single RAPIER Design.

The Floppy Woppy. 5.053t (and could probably be shaved down)...

HTA6H4z.jpg

xPT1eg0.png

8MBiM6z.png

Update...

I kinda like this version as it flies better, has more dV left in orbit and does come in a little less at 4.990t...

JzRhMBw.png

Update 2...One last effort with this design at 4.768t...

hEOVWdK.jpg

Edited by Foxster

5.053t....Dang it, I need to go back to the drawing table ;)

But how did you get that Kerbal in there ? Should'nt there be a pod or something for him to climb out first ?

And if so does that weight of the pod then not count ?

Edited by Triop

5.053t....Dang it, I need to go back to the drawing table ;)

But how did you get that Kerbal in there ? Should'nt there be a pod or something for him to climb out first ?

And if so does that weight of the pod then not count ?

I think its generally agreed for challenges not to count whatever it takes to get a Kerbal into a command seat. Same way that launch stability enhancers aren't. As long as once used they are discarded and provide no fuel or lift.

Edited by Foxster

The Floppy Woppy. 5.053t (and could probably be shaved down)...

I see your 5,053t (and your feeble attempts at 4,768t and 4,68t) and raise you 4,1125 tons... WITH A CAPSULE!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For some reason I named my craft Jeb's Finger. Perhaps because it appears to give the finger to the other runway on the island.

I have spent a lot of time trying to get Jeb into orbit on a Spark engine, but I always fall short about 200m/s. Respect if someone manages it.

I see your 5,053t (and your feeble attempts at 4,768t and 4,68t) and raise you 4,1125 tons... WITH A CAPSULE!

http://imgur.com/a/ujJgC

For some reason I named my craft Jeb's Finger. Perhaps because it appears to give the finger to the other runway on the island.

I have spent a lot of time trying to get Jeb into orbit on a Spark engine, but I always fall short about 200m/s. Respect if someone manages it.

With no 'chute you are not going to meet the rules of the challenge. Gotta get it down OK.

Edited by Foxster

My new try, now in 1.0.3! 7 parts, 5,1025 tons, "Try again, Jeb". As imgur is still not working for me, here are some old-fashioned pictures:

Tryagain1.png

Here's the ship. More than enough liquid fuel, but oxidiser was quite tight, so a little Oscar is added.

Tryagain2.png

Starting TWR is a comfortable 2,1.

Tryagain3.png

The gravity turn is started right away.

Tryagain4.png

When approaching 1000 m/s while below 10 km, the RAPIER is throttled down by half.

Tryagain5.png

Above 12 km throttle goes back to full.

Tryagain6.png

The engine flames out at 27 km with a nice horizontal speed.

Tryagain7.png

A 70x71km orbit is achieved with a little bit of oxidiser to spare.

Tryagain8.png

And then right away it is used to bring the orbit back to the ground.

Tryagain9.png

After a warm reentry Try again, Jeb comes down on parachute with jet assist.

Tryagain10.png

No Jebediahs were hurt during this flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.