Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4 patch is now available!

SQUAD

Seriously?

You need to get this release-fever under control if you're going to PS4 guys. DVDs are expensive to stamp out you know :D

?

The criticism is for the lack of basic testing, not for the hotfix. The topic of "breaking old game saves" is probably in the top 5 common complaints for new game releases. It really should have been found before 1.0.3 came out.

If Squad want to be taken seriously by the big-wigs of PlayStation 4 (and good grief those are some seriously big wigs!) then they would do very well to tighten up their internal testing procedures. I know a fair amount about software development and release (business software and not games admittedly) and customer perception is not just a bullet-point on some consultant's slideshow, especially when there's some serious money on the table. PS4 could be the big break that squad deserve, since it brings the game to the attention of a whole new audience. I want them to do well. Releasing the game twice in a day makes the developer look like amateurs (and I no doubt suspect that Squad are embarrassed every time this happens). I know, I've been there more times than I would want to admit.

I adore KSP (1500 hours in 12 months, it's an illness), and Squad can do no wrong as far as the game is concerned in my eyes, but I've had more than my own fair share of rushed releases and panicked hotfixes to know that it is always better to delay a release and get it right.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Wow Wossname. How about coming off your high horse just a bit. I'd be happy to point out the insanely large number of big name titles from major developers that were released buggy on consoles, that required after the fact patches immediately after release. Destiny, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Dragon Age: Inquisition, GTA5, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, just to name a few. Don't even get started on Battlefield 4, which was a buggy mess for MONTHS after release, even though you could spend over $120 out of the gate for all the Day 1 DLC.

Would it have been nice if this one bug got caught before release? Sure. But given the open nature of ship construction in KSP I can understand how it could have been missed.

Thanks Squad for a quick patch.

Thanks guys but are we just beta testers for the PS4 community? It is starting to feel like that.

How many times after 'full release' will we be forced to rebuild our craft?

As many times as updates require which you install, unfortunately just like all most every game released over the last few years, updates will also happen to KSP, sometimes they will break craft, sometimes things change, if you are super happy with a version and it works fine for you, then there is no need to update, if its buggy or things don't work right then update.

Not sure if you have played many full release triple A games in the last 30 years or so, but even going right back to old school PC days when you couldnt just download a patch, many games had big issues that took multiple patches to fix, take Master of Magic, one of the best 4X fantasy games for the PC, it had to get into 1.3 before it was playable, and that was a major release by a big company.

Diablo games get rebalanced sometimes it seems in major ways daily, 1st person shooters all the time, MMO's.. man when one of those is updated and something changes... well im sure you get the point.

TL;DR Stuff happens, things change, Issues are fixed, Live in the past or embrace the present.

Best place for this is the KSP bug tracker , honestly, someone could make a new issue that the patcher is not working for 1.0.3, set it as high, and get as many players as possible to vote for it.

Just a suggestion...

It's a good suggestion. However, I don't see the patcher anymore to my surprise. Didn't pay attention to this recently and was starting the game from KSP.exe. Either it was just removed or pretty damn broken. I guess Squad folks prefer ppl downloading the complete client archive for each patch rather than making a proper patcher :) Oh, well

I'd just like to add my voice to the dozens: Thanks for the hotfix.

However, it would seem that you (SQUAD) are beginning to develop "inverted Windows syndrome." Let me explain.

It is something of a running joke among IT personnel that the even versions of Windows are to be avoided like the plague, as they are often broken. The odd versions, on the other hand, are just fine, as they usually represent hotfixes of the even ones. What we have here is an inversion thereof: odd versions have bugs, even ones are hotfixes. Look at 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. They were released within a week of one another, which certainly suggests that 1.0.1 was faulty.

Anyways, good game, thanks for the hotfix, thanks for (mostly) listening to the community, et cetera.

I'd rather a little quick hot fix like we have than pretty much any alternative. With all the combinations of setups that all the players have I'm not sure all the bugs could ever be caught in testing. A quick and responsive patch is the best result anyone could hope for.

Thanks SQUAD...

How about coming off your high horse just a bit.

No, I like the altitude up here, the ISP is favourable.

I'd be happy to point out the insanely large number of big name titles from major developers that were released buggy on consoles, that required after the fact patches immediately after release.

All of which fixes are beautifully automatic and non destructive to game-saves (as far as I am aware). KSP is unfortunately dependent on the squishy organic humanoid to fix such issues (unless you run Steam or GOG -- but importantly not everyone plays KSP in Steam or GOG).

Would it have been nice if this one bug got caught before release? Sure. But given the open nature of ship construction in KSP I can understand how it could have been missed.

All you have to do is build a single (really ugly) vessel with all parts (I mean all of them, one of each available in sandbox mode) attached to it and drop it from LKO using hyperedit. Takes 5 minutes, perhaps 6 if you have to take Bill out and put Jeb in because you forgot.

Edited by wossname
clarificalisation.

This didn't fix my probe. I still can't control it once it leaves the atmosphere. I don't have any heatshield parts on it. Also, everything seems to overheat way too easily now. I was getting re-entry effects going 800m/s at 35km up. So I reverted to 1.0 aero and it seems to be slightly better. But it's still getting too hot, too quick.

All you have to do is build a single (really ugly) vessel with all parts (I mean all of them, one of each available in sandbox mode) attached to it and drop it from LKO using hyperedit. Takes 5 minutes, perhaps 6 if you have to take Bill out and put Jeb in because you forgot.

That's about 400 parts. I know some people insist on trying to have ships with that many parts, but what does that prove except how sadistic you can be to your own hardware? Can you even perform effective testing with that much lag?

All of which fixes are beautifully automatic and non destructive to game-saves (as far as I am aware). KSP is unfortunately dependent on the squishy organic humanoid to fix such issues (unless you run Steam or GOG -- but importantly not everyone plays KSP in Steam or GOG).

So, SQUAD need to up their game if they release a PS4 version because bugs won't be tolerated except that they actually will be tolerated because the updates download automatically so there's no problem? Glad we sorted that one out.

That's about 400 parts. I know some people insist on trying to have ships with that many parts, but what does that prove except how sadistic you can be to your own hardware? Can you even perform effective testing with that much lag?

I don't think 400 parts is particularly remarkable.

- - - Updated - - -

So, SQUAD need to up their game if they release a PS4 version because bugs won't be tolerated except that they actually will be tolerated because the updates download automatically so there's no problem? Glad we sorted that one out.

Well, people won't have as much of a chance to notice at least.

There is a difference in deployment between KSP on Steam, on GOG, on Windows and eventually on PS4. They are not necessarily all directly comparable. Bugs will be more visible on some platform than on others.

Well, people won't have as much of a chance to notice at least.

There is a difference in deployment between KSP on Steam, on GOG, on Windows and eventually on PS4. They are not necessarily all directly comparable. Bugs will be more visible on some platform than on others.

Sorry? PS4 updates games pretty much as steam does. Either in the background, if it's asleep (or running) and will automatically update if you attempt to run a title if it has been completely powered off.

The argument that updates have to be tightened up for console, is silly. It's based on assumption.

The only negative for a rapid update cycle is the impact on a mod community that will sometimes have to recompile mod code, even if KSP had a 2 line fix applied in source requiring absolutely no changes in mod code.

This is "better update cycle, because they are all different" argument redundant on any platform, however, that doesn't support third party addons; in any case the argument that fixing issues in rapid succession is automatically somehow bad, is flawed.

Rather it is the knock on effect that is likely more relevant to people, either mod's or game-save impact.

The only issue I have is the notion that "only update if you experience the bug" is an unfortunate choice of phrasing. No the new version should be used because that is now the current release, that people will expect mod's to run on.

Optional updates should die in a fire. Either release an update and everyone (that can) shifts to it, because it addresses a critical issue (which this does?) or save for additional fixes in the pipeline.

I'm with wossaname on this one. If you think about it, 1.0.4 fixes problems introduced by 1.0.3, which fixed issues introduced by 1.0.2, which fixed problems introduced with 1.0.1, which fixed issues introduced with 1.0.

ALL of these hotfixes, not updates, but hotfixes (or rather "hotbreakers"), have been save-breaking to some extent, except for 1.0.4, assuming you already installed 1.0.3, which you probably didn't because the patcher doesn't work (and never did) and the whole download from the KSP store takes ages (downloading at 31 KB/s right now).

All of this in two months.

I'm sorry, but SQUAD needs to get its ducks in a row.

I seem to be missing all the odd numbered updates. I missed 1.0.1 becuase it and 1.0.2 both came out while I was sleeping. I missed 1.0.3 because both it and 1.0.4 came out while I was working so much all I could do when I got home was sleep.

I welcome the hotfixes. They shouldn't break saves, but if they fix bugs bring them out as often as you want.

Weirdness, the download just finished and my Chrome browser blocked the download saying it is "malicious". I don't ever recall this happening with any other download.

I told Chrome to go to hell and ran Norton AV on it and it said the file was fine.

What's going on guys?

Chrome has started doing this recently with me as well. I believe it's a new "feature" that occurs any time you download either an executable or a zip file that contains an executable. It will deny access to the file, but you can open your downloads and tell it to give you your stinkin file back. I hate it when my computer tries to think for me.

Seriously?

You need to get this release-fever under control if you're going to PS4 guys. DVDs are expensive to stamp out you know :D

You know PS4 is able to connect to the internet ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.