MAJOR Heating Bug

Okay I've installed 1.04 with some mods and this keeps happening at random.

uF1aUR1.png

I just get random over heating. Even with radiators out and when I'm not facing the sun. I've tried adjusting it with Hyper edit and it still doesn't go down. Sometimes it happens when I dock, board, or just at idle.

I don't understand what's going on. It's never happened prior to 1.02. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help. Here're the mods I have installed

himdNUq.png

Edited by davidy12

Look at the temperature reading in the thermometer. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126471-Craft-exploding-(overheat)-1-0-4?p=2044267 The temp on the gauge is no joke, it's a cropped screenshot. I do not have FAR, but I have tons of other mods. To find the one causing the problem will be a lot of work. I reverted to my 1.03 backup.

To%20hot_zpsmmk6zyjg.jpg

Edited by CrasHReBooT

I posted this in another thread, but I'll put this hear so more people can see it and hopefully find some workaround.

Exiting warp in Mun SOI with temperature damage off. The heat starts at a cubic octagonal strut and spreads. With the temperature damage on, the strut explodes and the rest of the ship remains undamaged and unheated.

mjQ8db1.gif

Yeah, not really playable with max temp enabled. Spent some hours assembling a mission in orbit, docked the final module and heating goes nuts.

Disabling conduction and resetting temps (xE+84K!) in the save file shows it's the docking port... On only 1 of 4 identical subassemblies. Re enabe conduction and temps start climbing again - No rhyme or reason, just magic heat from nowhere.

Stock ship (Exception Mechjeb module) with KAC and KIS/KAS installed, getting similar results. On docking ports etc. Overheating in timewarp, but find without warp.

[edit]

Turns out the solar panel was just clipping through the bay by a fraction. So not related.

Edited by Technical Ben

No need to make a new Thread, this one seems to be related to an issue I recently experienced. It seems my problem parts are service bays, batteries, and probe cores. In stock (unmodded 32-bit) I have a problem with un-manned space planes if they include a service bay. If the bay is closed a battery or probe core will heat up and explode, regardless of where it is on the vessel. I have tried putting them on the far side of high mass objects like fuel tanks that are littered with radiators and this doesn't seem to change anything. If I open the cargo bay during most of the re-entry I can make it home alright.

This also happened in my modded-career, I came out of a large timewarp into a new SOI, did some maneuvers and jettisoned a stage and everything was fine. I created a new manuever node and in about the 30 seconds it took me to do so a huge section of my ship had parts with red meters. I turned on the thermal overlay and the battery was blinking like a strobe until it blew up and then the newly created 2-part vessel cooled down to normal on its own.

The effect is less dramatic with the "ignore max temp" flag but here is a clip showing the link between the service bay and the battery temperature (the battery changes between a temperature of 4 and 2400 again and again while the bay is closed). The only part of my ship that has this temperature fluctuation is this one battery and it is not directly connected to the service bay, it seems very odd.

I wanted to revert my save back to a 1.0.2 version but now I've done a few missions it seems that may not be so easy.

I've had the same problem with FAR. Could not reproduce it in stock. Apparently, FAR changes the surface area used to determine the radiated heat https://github.com/DaMichel/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/blob/master/FerramAerospaceResearch/FARAeroComponents/ModularFlightIntegratorRegisterer.cs#L79

So that explains why heating is different with FAR.

Disabling maxTemp is not enough. The part temp values still grow and eventually end up as NAN. For fear of savegame corruption, i therefore also tuned down all the "heating" sliders in the thermal physics tab, pretty much disabling the heating system completely.

Edited by DaMichel

I have this problem also... Batteries overheat and explode on the pad or runway(only stock batteries). But when docking... sometimes the other mod part destroys itself of overheating, sometimes other part stock... I use FAR. Is there any way to go workaround? I cant dock my crafts currently. Something explodes randomly due to overheating(F3 says so).

Okay it kind of worked... No sign of spontaneous overheating. But no reentry, thermal, or mach effects.

I had that happen to me, and I couldn't figure out why. I eventually re-installed a fresh download, and the problem is gone.

Try renaming the physics file (in kerbal root directory) so it creates a new one, its probably got the old values.
Okay it kind of worked... No sign of spontaneous overheating. But no reentry, thermal, or mach effects.
I had that happen to me, and I couldn't figure out why. I eventually re-installed a fresh download, and the problem is gone.

KSP doesn't properly generate a new Physics.cfg file if you delete it. The values in the new one will be completely bogus. You need to replace the file with one from a fresh download (or let Steam verify the installation once you have deleted it, if you run on Steam).

The other critical file, PartDatabase.cfg, can safely be deleted and regenerated. In fact, ModuleManager does this by default whenever it detects a change in the mods or configs installed, because PartDatabase.cfg breaks very easily when installing updates to part mods (or even updating stock itself).

I had this problem as well and it's not from Ferrari Aerospace which does actually have it's own heating bug, but Ferrams heating bug is much slower, this one blew my ship almost instantly at times. I also thought it was the cubical octagonal strut but I got rid of it and still had this happen while doing burns in orbit around the moon, for whatever reason it seemed to happen like 5 seconds before a burn, and it didn't matter if you slowed down time warp early and waited, once it ticked down my ship would glow red and explode in less than half a second.

Good news is there's a fix that should work, or well, a workaround. Make sure you quick save a lot when this bug happens, basically what you need to do is go to the ship, then go back to the space center, get in any active ship or probe and after it loads go back to the space station, then go back to your ship and you should be able to make your next burn. Then quicksave and if it happens at the next burn just reapeat. After doing this the ship actually became fine, the next two burns went well, then I time accelerated through a few orbits and didn't explode. Most of my mods are visual like the city lights, clouds, distance object enhancement, and a sky box that's a hi res image of the galaxy, the only part mod I was using when it happened was DMagics Orbital Science which I love and as far as I can tell is not the cause of the problem.

Actually this one is definitely from FAR - Ferram has said as much in the FAR release thread, and there's already a fix in the dev tree.

EDIT: ...or not. I got the explosions _eventually_ even without FAR, so perhaps this is a stock bug that just gets 'sped up' vastly when throwing FAR in the mix...

Edited by TheOrqwithVagrant

Actually this one is definitely from FAR - Ferram has said as much in the FAR release thread, and there's already a fix in the dev tree.

EDIT: ...or not. I got the explosions _eventually_ even without FAR, so perhaps this is a stock bug that just gets 'sped up' vastly when throwing FAR in the mix...

FAR reduces the surface area of most parts. With a smaller surface area, parts radiate less heat, so when this phantom heating occurs, they build up heat quicker in FAR and explode.

I think one possible solution is to increase the warp factor at which heating is calculated. Currently it is x100. See if increasing it to x1000 or lowering it to x10 has any effect.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll put this hear so more people can see it and hopefully find some workaround.

Exiting warp in Mun SOI with temperature damage off. The heat starts at a cubic octagonal strut and spreads. With the temperature damage on, the strut explodes and the rest of the ship remains undamaged and unheated.

http://i.imgur.com/mjQ8db1.gif

I also had this issue with the cubic octagonal strut but I put the cause down to using the 64 bit hack, when I made a new install directory without it I did not have the issue any more although now (on 32 bit) I do not have any heating effects at all. I did have heating for a while then it stopped.

Wish I could remember which mod updated between it working and not...

I had today the same problem. Everything was fine until today. I do not have FAR installed.

I was orbiting the Mun and tried to execute a burn. Before any engine was activated or fired, one of the SAS-modules started to overheat like crazy. All components followed shortly when I ignored the overheat option from the chat menu.

Tried to go back to another ship, to the space center, nothing worked. Reloading my quicksave moments before the SAS starts overheating and explodes also does not fix anything. Other vessels are not affected.

Time-warping makes the heat go away, but it reappears as soon as I go back to normal time. Also tried to edit the temperatures of the components of the ship from my save file - edited them to 0.something - and the SAS-module still generates heat like crazy afterwards.

Here is a screenshot: 4j95za.jpg

Tried to delete Physics.cfg and PartDatabase.cfg and redownloaded it with Steam. Still doesn't fix my problem.

Here are the save files and output log: http://www.4shared.com/get/uXaL9fpkce/Bug_files.html

Here is my mod list - everything is up to date: vh515i.jpg

I'm running the Steam version of KSP, 1.0.4, so everything is updated.

Hopefully someone can help. It was quite difficult to launch the station in one piece and I would hate to loose it. Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Sheppard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.