[1.1.x] Procedural Fairings - For Everything! v0.2.0 - July 4

Felger

Overview

Procedural Fairings For Everything replaces / adds to fairings and fairing bases in mods to use Procedural Fairings instead of the stock fairings, or the various other means that mods have come up with to add fairings to their packs.

Contributors

Felger, blackheart612, Ravenchant, MeCripp

Features

• Fairing Bases upgraded to use Procedural Fairings
  • Interstage Bases upgraded to use Procedural Interstage
  • Decouplers duplicated to serve as Interstage Bases when Interstage Bases not available
  • Fairing Walls use Firespitter Texture Switcher to swap between available textures.
  • Added blackheart612's textures (with his permission, great textures!)
  • Added extra fairing wall shapes designed after real life rockets.

Currently Supported

• Stock
  • Ven's Stock Revamp
  • KW Rocketry
  • NovaPunch
  • Realism Overhaul Scaling

DOWNLOAD

Github

CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg

Licence CC-BY-3.0

Screenshots

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Known Issues

• Procedural Fairings cannot place the "top" node below the fairing start point. KW Expanded Fairings place the payload above the structure. Use the stock offset tool to place the payload onto the structure.
  • Some of the interstage node placements don't scale well with the interstage model, you may see some clipping. Again, can fix with the stock offset tool.

Changelog

Nice you should see about adding Gryphon Corp. textures for Procedural Fairings http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123951-1-0-2-Gryphon-Corp-textures-for-Procedural-Fairings-v1-2 and MainSailor's Gamma Textures http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103761-MainSailor-s-Gamma-Textures-%28for-Procedural-Parts%29-DDS-Edition!-UPDATED-19-May!-%28v1-11%29

And maybe you can help me been fighting with adding PF to the mod LongMarch_3B_V1.0_eng_simonArtisan ?

Nice you should see about adding Gryphon Corp. textures for Procedural Fairings http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123951-1-0-2-Gryphon-Corp-textures-for-Procedural-Fairings-v1-2 and MainSailor's Gamma Textures http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103761-MainSailor-s-Gamma-Textures-%28for-Procedural-Parts%29-DDS-Edition!-UPDATED-19-May!-%28v1-11%29

And maybe you can help me been fighting with adding PF to the mod LongMarch_3B_V1.0_eng_simonArtisan ?

That's an excellent idea! For the Long March mod, I'd love to! If you want, I can help you add it, or I can do it myself, my process isn't too complicated.

Actually, something I'm looking for is a list of mods that have fairings that are unconfigured. Since this is kind of meant to be a companion mod to RealismOverhaul, I'm prioritizing mods we support there, but eventually I'd like to support most everything with a fairing.

Excellent idea! If I'm understanding correctly, this makes you pick a fairing shape first and then switch the texture to your liking?

Among other things, yes. Looking at the way your fairing textures are set up, would have to edit them a bit to make them compatible, since Firespitter texture switcher won't let me change the mapping per texture. I also probably need to adjust the way I do some stuff, since if someone has your textures installed and mine, it would override yours.

Ok, what can I do to make them more, uh...compatible? The mapping is the same as the original PF and blackheart's textures AFAIK. Or are you changing it? :)

Hah, that was my mistake, the dds images are inverted from the original unconverted pngs I was used to looking at. Your textures should work just fine! On which note, I need to install a plugin to edit dds's with GIMP because a couple of the textures have a bit of weird scaling that they shouldn't. I think mainly the Atlas and Titan textures (which appear to be basically the same.)

There are a couple of ways of handling compatibility, the easiest would be to just include your textures and shapes in the pack and give you credit. Harder would be a cross-compatibility MM patch, where if present, it adds your textures to the list of available textures, and adds the whole list to your fairing shapes. It does complicate things somewhat since at present my configs assume that all the textures are in the same directory.

But it would be doable, and I'm flexible for either solution at your discretion.

Looks good! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this when I start my career game. Is it compatible with FAR at all?

It should be fully compatible with FAR, especially since FAR uses a voxel-scan to determine vessel shape now, rather than assumed part shape. All Procedural Fairings does nowadays is alert FAR that the shape has changed so FAR can re-scan the vessel.

I take it this is something different from the Procedural fairings mod that has been around for several years? only changing other fairing parts, not adding any?

Yep, it's an add-on to Procedural fairings to add it to other parts.

It seems that way. Just tried it and it works great. Thanks Felger!

Thanks!

There are a couple of ways of handling compatibility, the easiest would be to just include your textures and shapes in the pack and give you credit.

Right. You can include everything in the "Soyuz" and "Tsyklon" folders :) the rest still use CBBP's interior texture and I'm afraid I can't license them per CC-BY. I'll work on it soon though!

Right. You can include everything in the "Soyuz" and "Tsyklon" folders :) the rest still use CBBP's interior texture and I'm afraid I can't license them per CC-BY. I'll work on it soon though!

Sounds good, I've added them to the latest release, and given you credit in the OP. You (Gryphon corp, I think?) are listed as the manufacturer, and the name and description have been kept pretty much the same. Your shapes default to the correct texture, and have access to all the other textures. Actually, if you're any good with texture-making, could you edit the Atlas and Titan textures to straighten out the curved ridges in the upper cone? I was tinkering around with it in GIMP, and it just reinforced how terrible I am at anything remotely artistic.

Thanks for the awesome textures and shapes!

Those are pretty awesome, I'd love to have them in the pack. There are two easy ways to do that, I can do it myself and bundle it with everything, or we can do something a little more complicated with ModuleManager and make them available as a separate, but compatible pack. Let me know what you'd like to do!

Release 0.0.2

Short changelog:

* Added Ravenchant's Soyuz and Tskylon textures and fairing wall shapes to the pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Next on my to-do: edit the default textures in the MODEL nodes so that the parts appear with their default textures correctly in the editor preview.

Awesome! They've been added to the pack and released. Those are some pretty sweet textures!

Release v0.0.3

• Added MeCripp's Long March Textures and Shape
  • Changed default editor preview texture for all Fairing Walls to their default textures.

This definitely looks interesting, going to take it for a spin now.

Do you see a way to give the engine fairings a PF treatment as well? Might be cool for some ship designs to be able to give them a non-standard shape, or omit them entirely.

This definitely looks interesting, going to take it for a spin now.

Do you see a way to give the engine fairings a PF treatment as well? Might be cool for some ship designs to be able to give them a non-standard shape, or omit them entirely.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. RealismOverhaul has a shroud toggler, so if you're using that it's a little more clean. Otherwise, the shroud relies on a node to exist to which it should attach, so you can disable them in bulk like so:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleJettison]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleJettison]
{
@bottomNodeName = this_node_does_not_exist
}
}

I'll give some thought to whether or not I want to do that by default. In my saves I certainly do, but I feel some folks would complain if the shrouds just disappeared from all their engines.

Edited by Felger
typo in MM config

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleJettison]]:FINAL
{
@MODULE[ModuleJettison]
{
@bottomNodeName = this_node_does_not_exist
}
}
@PART

Useful bit of information, much appropriatedeciated ;)

Hmmm, it doesn't look like this module is used for anything besides the engine fairings, or is it? EDIT1: Even better, it is used for the heatshield fairings! Those are real eyesores in my opinion. Thank you so very much!

EDIT2: [spoiler=Oh OK, so that's why it's necessary to retain the module... :)]

Might just as well get rid of it

-MODULE[ModuleJettison],* {}

Nope, the module's job is to actually hide the fairing model.

Always so much to tinker... I haven't even found the time to test your mod yet.

Edited by Corax
Yay! Also: Oh, I see...

Useful bit of information, much appropriatedeciated ;)

Hmmm, it doesn't look like this module is used for anything besides the engine fairings, or is it? EDIT1: Even better, it is used for the heatshield fairings! Those are real eyesores in my opinion. Thank you so very much!

EDIT2: [spoiler=Oh OK, so that's why it's necessary to retain the module... :)]

Might just as well get rid of it

-MODULE[ModuleJettison],* {}

Nope, the module's job is to actually hide the fairing model.

Always so much to tinker... I haven't even found the time to test your mod yet.

I think I'll add it as an optional installation. Useful for a lot of folks.

Love the extra fairing wall shapes!

Thanks! If you have any other fairing shapes you'd like to see, just post them here, we'll see what we can do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.