Homeschooling?

violahalle6

Sooo peeps, I don't think the op is on this anymore, so can we let it down? We may have different opinions on education, but that's rarely going to affect anyone else but our own children. (until you vote, but that's a different thing)

We all have a piece of our mind here for the OP and now it is on them to decide, hopefully for their own good.

Eject.

Never can you be forced to do something.

So you're saying you'd rather jump out of a plane than fly upside down? What if it's your own plane? What if there are other passengers? To each his own, I guess...

Also, you can simulate being upside down by pushing forward on the controls so the negative gees make you feel like you're upside down. Or you can do barrel rolls and then gradually change them into aileron rolls. Or you can do half a loop and level off when you're upside down, and then execute the other half of the loop when it starts to feel bad (or just roll over). Or, if you want to stay on the ground, you can get a trampoline and start doing flips on it.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

Some public schools are great. Sort of depends where you live.

Yeah, and in the US you can live really close to a great school but have to go to a crap school because of the way the school districts are set up.

I go to a private college prep school. I've been going there since kindergarten, and I'm in seventh grade now. I want to be homeschooled next year, because I'm just kind of bored being with the same people every day. it's not that i don't like my friends, but it's just that I'm tired of doing the same thing every day. My parents already paid the tuition deposit and everything, and they would lose about 2500 dollars. And if I were homeschooled, my brother probably would want to be also. He goes to the same school, so they would lose 2500 dollard for him too. I'm also tired of all the popularity stuff. I also find that a lot of my classes are really easy. I just want to have education suited for me, not what my school thinks will get us into college. Baisically, I just want some change, something different.

So, I was just wondering if you think it's worth losing 5000 dollars to be homeschooled, and how I can explain it to my parents that I don't want to go to my school anymore.

Thanks!

I personally am homeschooled, And imo, it gets annoying after a while, Depending on how relaxed your parents are procrastination becomes a huge problem, is it worth 5 G's? it's all about opinion, and how good at teaching your parents are, while there are online classes, for your level it's probably not worth it.

There are 6 billion people in the world.. and you cannot avoid them I'm afraid.

Going to a public/private school and interacting with people teaches you to make proper sensible judgements in life - If you are lacking in this experience it'll come back and bite you later.

If you feel 'bored and unchallenged', talk to your parents about jumping a grade where the work would be more challenging.

Also be more appreciative that your parents care for you education and future, and send you to a private school - it costs an 'arm and a leg'.. Here you're getting the best of both worlds.

Public schools can be badddd.

Be lucky we aren't related.. my youngest has tried this sort of thing a few times and the 'rocket' that Mom and I have sent him has got progressively bigger - He's finally grown up this year.

:D :D

I'm not a big fan of homeschooling because teaching a subject is a rather speciaized endeavour. Now, port that to a parent who would have to teach *every* subject in a curriculum, and you've got nothing but trouble. Seriously, if the curriculum leaves you bored, hit the library (assuming that you have a decent library, say, in a reasonably large city). Bone up on the area in which you want to specialize. It will keep you challenged, and give you a head start on college courses, to boot.

Personally i would not recommend homeschooling unless it will truly benefit you and not impact you or your family too negatively. For me it was a bad experience, maybe because the curriculum always inserted heavily biased religious and creationist garbage. "Bible says this so it's true, don't listen to the 'experts' they can't see the light " sort of crap. Because of that most everything i learned about human reproduction, and science in general was through the internet. (Not bashing religious people, this is just what happened to me)

I was left out of the social interactions you will get in a typical HS, sure i never got bullied, but i was shy and socially awkward till around 17. I have about 3 actual friends that i ever hang out with, and i only met them because of my mom's friends. (although the small number of friends i have doesn't bother me, i don't have alot of energy for social stuff anyway)

Also things to consider, in the US unless you are being homeschooled through an online program, you will likely have to get a GED after completing your curriculum. It doesn't hold as much weight as a HS diploma, but it will substitute as one in 90% of circumstances such as jobs and most colleges, some states (Such as Nebraska) give state-issued HS diplomas to GED graduates because of the massive amount of homeschooled kids here.

Edited by ZedNova

I have friends who were homeschooled. While the family is religious (Christian), the Bible was not part of the "school" curriculum; the subjects were typical of what is taught in public schools. In fact, their view is that truth is truth; there cannot be a conflict between a true principle as taught either by science or religion. But the focus in this case was learning at individual paces and older kids helping to teach the younger ones. It worked out for them and socially they are as well adjusted as people who went to public schools (take that any way you want to). :) Oh, they are internet savvy and I think that proper homeschooling ought to incorporate some online coursework or assignments.

I suppose the attitudes and views of the parents is a major factor in successful homeschooling.

Edited by Dispatcher
spelling error.

Not a religious bash.. but 'experienced' fact..

On the religious school idea and Christian (or other religions) schools as they call it.

With the education system going through the floor we looked at alternative schooling methods.

A religious group came around with a seminar and discussed their methods of schooling.

Key features were 'self paced' and religious education. They also told us it was more advanced than normal schooling.

A few key questions later.. we found this not to be the case - People can lie through their teeth.

Short story.. we didn't like the idea of religious brainwashing, and paying vast sums with no end result.

We sent our kids to a normal public junior school... strict discipline, 'pressurised' education rate.. etc - the best results were obtained.

There were a few spats here and there, but all sorted out like adults.. a learning experience for the kids.

Based of junior school results both kids got scholarships into a pricey private high school.

And boy!! this school is strict.. nearly militaristic with discipline.. but also fair - As parents we love it :D

Both have done well in adapting to 'normality' and academics.

NOW...

My brother's family went the Religious 'home/private' schooling route ( I went nuts when I heard this)...

Their kids are so far behind essential skills subjects.. maths, sciences.. etc.., that they're only now putting them into a normal high school. It's probably all but too late with 1.5 years to go.

One might say some kids are cleverer than others.. and I'll say no to that. It's the environment that you put them in that effects their learning ability.

If there is no stimulation.. there's no learning.... that is not to say they cannot do it (anyone can).. but they'll be a few years behind and that gap grows larger by the year.

:wink:

Edited by ColKlonk

A lot of this also depends on what the OP wants to do when s/he grows up. If the OP wants to be an artist, unschooling might be a good idea, if the OP wants to be a professional, like a doctor or a banker, staying in private school is probably the best option, if the OP is religious, religion based curriculum might be best, although I would strongly discourage a strictly religious education.

A lot of this also depends on what the OP wants to do when s/he grows up. . . . if the OP is religious, religion based curriculum might be best, although I would strongly discourage a strictly religious education.

I've never heard of a strictly religious education (at least in modern times), unless you mean being cloistered in a monastery or nunnery or the like. I would strongly discourage any education which only focuses on one or a few disciplines, whether it be sports/ physical ed, arts, sciences, business or finance, medicine, law enforcement, politics, military, etc. We are discussing pre-college, so variety ought to be encouraged; including philosophy and religion. The broader the education, the more the mind has to evaluate and compare.

Edit: from Wikipedia; this may not be totally in harmony with my view, but its interesting:

'Etymologically, the word "education" is derived from the Latin Ä“ducÄÂtiÃ…Â ("A breeding, a bringing up, a rearing") from Ä“dÅ«cÃ…Â ("I educate, I train") which is related to the homonym Ä“dÅ«cÃ…Â ("I lead forth, I take out; I raise up, I erect") from Ä“- ("from, out of") and dÅ«cÃ…Â ("I lead, I conduct").'

Edited by Dispatcher

I've never heard of a strictly religious education (at least in modern times), unless you mean being cloistered in a monastery or nunnery or the like. I would strongly discourage any education which only focuses on one or a few disciplines, whether it be sports/ physical ed, arts, sciences, business or finance, medicine, law enforcement, politics, military, etc. We are discussing pre-college, so variety ought to be encouraged; including philosophy and religion. The broader the education, the more the mind has to evaluate and compare.

I'd have to agree. I went to a couple Catholic schools for a few years and the religion was pretty well compartmentalized. The only religion they had was the religion class (Which was exclusively Catholic, but pretty "loose"), an hour-long mass at 9:00 Friday morning, and before meal prayers. Religion was kept out of the science curriculum. They had a good mix of subjects too, they had all the normal classes (Math, Science, English, etc.) plus penmanship/cursive writing and once a year for a few weeks they had a basic entrepreneurship course that the senior class would use the skills from to manage a restaurant for a day.

I'm not saying that all Catholic schools are like this but this was my experience. And with the way the schools are around here (Police reports weekly, Bureaucratic mess, egotistic administration) they offered a superior education to boot.

[...]

I'm not saying that all Catholic schools are like this but this was my experience.

[...]

Same here, primary school. They even took people from other religions, and they were excused during religion classes and they could go outside and play (those *stards! :) ).

Another aspect to consider here, and I might be pulling this from thin air, but still a concern, is socialization. School is a big part of that, too. No way in hell I'd have my kid secluded at home without interacting with other kids. I don't want him to grow a socially awkward kid like me... :P Sure there's kids on the neighborhood and all, but still, it's not the same... or at least it wasn't when I was a kid many many many years ago with no Facebook or internet or phones... :(

A lot of this also depends on what the OP wants to do when s/he grows up. If the OP wants to be an artist, unschooling might be a good idea, if the OP wants to be a professional, like a doctor or a banker, staying in private school is probably the best option, if the OP is religious, religion based curriculum might be best, although I would strongly discourage a strictly religious education.

Professional skills are needed in the artistic trades too. You just need unsuppressed creative skills added to that, and the ability to self regulate too. There are some ideas out there eeabout creative trades that are romantic, but hardly realistic. It generally means hard work, quite a bit of responsibility and sometimes good, but often meager compensation. On the other hand, you often have more freedom to pursue personal interests and to steer your own course, which is often a blessing and sometimes a curse.

I would encourage anyone with interest in creative arts to pursue their dream, though just as with bankers and doctors, having a good education is invaluable. You just need to omit the schools where mindless discipline is taught, but I am fairly sure that makes for poor doctors too. A good scientist, lawyer or artist is one that approaches a problem from a variety of angles and someone who questions anything and everything.

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2015 at 11:17 AM, violahalle6 said:

I go to a private college prep school. I've been going there since kindergarten, and I'm in seventh grade now. I want to be homeschooled next year, because I'm just kind of bored being with the same people every day. it's not that i don't like my friends, but it's just that I'm tired of doing the same thing every day. My parents already paid the tuition deposit and everything, and they would lose about 2500 dollars. And if I were homeschooled, my brother probably would want to be also. He goes to the same school, so they would lose 2500 dollard for him too. I'm also tired of all the popularity stuff. I also find that a lot of my classes are really easy. I just want to have education suited for me, not what my school thinks will get us into college. Baisically, I just want some change, something different.

So, I was just wondering if you think it's worth losing 5000 dollars to be homeschooled, and how I can explain it to my parents that I don't want to go to my school anymore.

Thanks!

It is very difficult to suggest you an idea. The idea which you thought of homeschooling is best but if you want both you and brother should study at same place, online homeschooling will give you quality education. This online homeschooling will give you flexibility of timing and comfort right at your home. Give it a chance this will definitely help you a lot.

On 26/06/2015 at 8:35 PM, Tex_NL said:

Please think a minute about what you just said here.

Don't you think staying home will in fact REDUCE the number of people you'll interact with? Going to school is an excellent way to interact and socialize with other people.

Thats the exact thing that makes me dislike the fact of being homeschooled. I always ask how homeschooled peeps get friends. I only have 1 real friend outside school, while i have like 4, no 5, maybe 6 friends at school alone, even though i see myself as a not so social person. 

To me school is not just about education, but also for social life.