[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

We at Kerman & Kerman Orbit and Surface Structures are proud to present you the all new product line for Kerbals who want nothing more than to live on another planet!

http://i.imgur.com/90zgf32.png

This mod adds several new parts that are designed to be used in a planetery base for the Kerbals. This includes Habitats, Greenhouse, Laboratory, a Cupola derivative, Command-Center and others.

It is designed to fit with the other stock parts and feel als "Kerbal" as possible.

Attention:

There was a bug in the first release. I forgot to update the model paths in the *.cfg files. Just download the updated version and replace the current folder.

Notes on the Greenhouse:

1. In this version the Greenhouse has opaque windows because the shader for transparent parts can't be emissive to light the windows. In the future you can choose which version you want.
  2. The Greenhouse hat experimental support for the USI Life Support. To work at least one Kerbal has to be in the module. With two Kerbals the Greenhouse works at 100%. You will need to have halve of your Kerbals to work in the Greenhouses to produce enough food.

But enough words, here are some screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/sCRdv

Changelog:

v0.1.0

Initial Release.

v0.1.1

Hotfix for the wrong filepaths. The models are now available in SPH and VAB.

Download

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/232217-kerbal-planetary-base-systems/files/2245130/download

The source code is included in the "Plugins" Folder

License

All Rights Reserved. (for now)

Still in development:

• A second Habitat Module
  • Three missing IVAs
  • Flags and Decls
  • Support for the differend Life Support Mods (via additional Containers and Greenhouse modifications)
  • Your Suggestions
  • Better lighting in the current IVAs

Known Bugs/Issues:

• Some IVAs are still missing
  • Sometimes switching to IVA via the "c" Buttons does not work, the IVA Button works. Also the Kerbals are missing their IVA animation when clicking the IVA button. (When you also experience this bug or have an idea why this one happends, please tell me)
  • Probably some typos in the parts descriptions.

Holy hell, this looks glorious

On the subject of atmospheric entry.. I'd position two stacks of these bottom to bottom, stick a circular heat shield on one side and wrap the whole thing in a fairing. This seems like the way NASA would do it. Unfold/position/dock/expand the modules once landed. How about an attachment node on the bottom and a light decoupler piece that can attach two modules together to a heatshield?

Just spitballing, pretty sure landing these on duna would be easy without any ablatives.

Just a quick shout out. Great job. These look awesome, and have been what I've wanted since .17. I use CLS, and the parts like the landing assist thrusters, and SAS part are not passable. I'll write up some config for other users after the weekend. As a side note, I'd also recommend IR robotics, specifically the rework parts. The Spirit wheels and hinges make moving an positioning the stuctures a cake walk. Just be sure to remove the wheels and hinges when you're done to drop the part count!

On the subject of atmospheric entry.. I'd position two stacks of these bottom to bottom, stick a circular heat shield on one side and wrap the whole thing in a fairing. This seems like the way NASA would do it. Unfold/position/dock/expand the modules once landed. How about an attachment node on the bottom and a light decoupler piece that can attach two modules together to a heatshield?

Just spitballing, pretty sure landing these on duna would be easy without any ablatives.

True, though I would likely be using 6.4x myself.

I din't try the other parts, but the airlock, and the habitat cannot accept data from EVA, etc. They are also not set to allow crew reports.

Guess they need ModuleScienceExperiment and ModuleScienceContainer added to the cfgs.

Edited by tater

Dude, you deserve a cookie for making this awesome parts pack! I love building bases, but building them out of cylinders is kinda weird. Can you put this on Kerbalstuff please? That way it would be easier to access, you would get more downloads, and Curse haters ( like me :P) would be a lot happier. I also have some ideas for parts. First, a ISRU module in your new form factor. Second, some sort of landing skid that will fit under the fuselage and work as non-deployable landing leg with no suspension, just like the girder segment, but low-profile and better looking. For the heat shield I would recommend making a length adjustable Aeroshell with black bottom and ablator resource. Two final suggestions would be a front attachment node for the cupola thingy and a radial attach probe core for better descent control. Now, a question: does the cupola thingy count as cupola when you have a contract for building a base with a cupola?

Looks great and will be testing it out soon.

Couple of suggestions "off the cuff" from what I have read and before I test it;

1) Stock Ore Processing Plant and Storage Tank

1.a) Tanks could additionally be made tweakable for various resource/fuel types utilizing mods like Interstellar Fuel Switch http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117932-1-0-Interstellar-Fuel-Switch-0-2

2) Get with ethernet and adapt it with his Station Science mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54774 i.e. "Ground Base Science"

2.a) This could open a Pandora's Box, leading to Extra-planetary Launch Pads http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-90-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v5-0-2, etc.

Again, it looks great, and welcome to the forums. Cant wait to try this out!

I totally agree on the extra-planetary launchpads idea.

I would also suggest making an KAS/KIS storage container.

And maybe you can put on a bigger ore drill withing the ore processing plant, as you'll be needing to drill more.

Hey there, Kottabos did a review on your mod!

Wow cool!! :D

Also, maybe add KIS support to the modular storage system?

These are already planned and will arrive soon

how am i supposed to land these on other celestial bodies?

- - - Updated - - -

and, can you add smaller modular storages? or a tweakable one?

I will add the suggested nodes on top and bottom and a control unit that can be attached on top to allow easier landing.

Don't know yet about the smaller/bigger storages. They aren't that hard to create though maybe a smaller version will be made. :wink:

Maybe add support for Extraplanetary Launchpads, that is make the workshops and the launchpads themselves? c:

There really seems to be a demand for Extraplanetary Launchpads

Will consider them after the LS mods are done

This is one VERY .... mod. The only way if could be better, is if the parts had IVA's!

Wait till next release, to finish/refine the vanilla parts with IVAs and stuff is top priority at the moment :cool:

Really enjoying the mod and finally completed a base on the mun with it.....next week, Minmus.

http://imgur.com/a/gJg6a

Wow, looks really cool. Threre also will be a smaller not deployable habitat that will better fit to make rovers

I

I din't try the other parts, but the airlock, and the habitat cannot accept data from EVA, etc. They are also not set to allow crew reports.

Guess they need ModuleScienceExperiment and ModuleScienceContainer added to the cfgs.

Well, forgot about them, thanks for the hint

Dude, you deserve a cookie for making this awesome parts pack! I love building bases, but building them out of cylinders is kinda weird. Can you put this on Kerbalstuff please? That way it would be easier to access, you would get more downloads, and Curse haters ( like me ) would be a lot happier. I also have some ideas for parts. First, a ISRU module in your new form factor. Second, some sort of landing skid that will fit under the fuselage and work as non-deployable landing leg with no suspension, just like the girder segment, but low-profile and better looking. For the heat shield I would recommend making a length adjustable Aeroshell with black bottom and ablator resource. Two final suggestions would be a front attachment node for the cupola thingy and a radial attach probe core for better descent control. Now, a question: does the cupola thingy count as cupola when you have a contract for building a base with a cupola?

Will roll out the mod to the other hosting platforms as well soon, this was only for the first release.

Regarding the cupola thingy...i have absolutly no idea. My guess would be that the contract searches for the exact name of the part to be fullfilled so probably no. This has to be tried out though.

Would really be nice if the contract could be fullfilled with this part.

Hope i haven't forgotten any posts to answer.

I'm not at home for the rest of the Weekend, so i will be able to reply in ca. 2 days again.

Btw. a next updated is planned for next friday :cool:

thsi is a very good mod, as for the suggestions:

Here are the suggestions that already have been made by others:

1)ore processing plant

2)extra-planetary launchpad

3)co-operation with station science mod

4)cargo bays/ garages

5)A heat shield for the bottom of the base parts so you can re-enter them with th down side facing down.

6)MKS flex tubes

7)smaller modular storage system

8)fix the door by expaning the habitat out and up

9)decoupler

10)landing skid

And I would like to add some suggestions of my own

11)KAS/KIS storage container

12)bigger drill (to go with the processing plant from above)

13)make a new part catagory in the VAb/SPH specificly for parts that can have kerbals inside them, this because it will make the utility part tab less full of parts.

(so for the gangway's, the greenhouse an the habitat module, you can also put the vanilla passenger parts in there.)

14)workshop from the OSI workshop mod

15)a 2-story habitat module (for astethic purposes)

I hope squad will adopt this mod as stock, like they did with spaceplane plus. This mod deserves it.

So ran into an issue,

jks38Ml.jpg

Every once in a while the large ore container will become offset, and look like its falling off the storage rack, even though its still connected to the craft, anyone else see this happen, or is it just on my end?

So ran into an issue,

http://i.imgur.com/jks38Ml.jpg

Every once in a while the large ore container will become offset, and look like its falling off the storage rack, even though its still connected to the craft, anyone else see this happen, or is it just on my end?

Not a clue, but you just inspired me to start using those track parts again.

So ran into an issue,

http://i.imgur.com/jks38Ml.jpg

I'm betting it's tweakscale, or the attachment nodes are not set up correctly.

Not a clue, but you just inspired me to start using those track parts again.

Lol, be careful, set those tracks too high, and you'll get kraken effects when deploying the modules.

Any chance that this could be added to CKAN please?

I somehow wasn't aware of CKAN until now. I'll try to add it to this as well in the future.

So ran into an issue,

I haven't experienced this weird behaviour until now and looked up the cfg of the storage Module and haven't seen anything funny that could have caused this. Do you have any other mods installed? Maybe was hieywiey mentioned tweakscale?

Two parts stacked on the bottom and the heatshield on to front also seems like a good idea. Althoug it would be really hard to position the parts after the base landed.

I use CLS, and the parts like the landing assist thrusters, and SAS part are not passable. I'll write up some config for other users after the weekend.

Already added CLS to the parts. CLS will be supported with the next release.

I also saw someone who asked if he/she could make other containers for other mods. The answer is yes! I added a link to templates for the containers in the first post (Blender and Gimp files, as well as .cfg dummies)

In career, I got a rescue contract where the craft was a habitat... it was retracted, so there was no way to EVA the stranded kerbal. I sent a different craft with a grappler, and then I could power it, but it would not deploy with a kerbal inside. Luckily I managed to mouse in just the right place to hit the hatch inside and EVA.

Two parts stacked on the bottom and the heatshield on to front also seems like a good idea. Althoug it would be really hard to position the parts after the base landed.

Jettison the shields after they're no longer needed.

In career, I got a rescue contract where the craft was a habitat... it was retracted, so there was no way to EVA the stranded kerbal. I sent a different craft with a grappler, and then I could power it, but it would not deploy with a kerbal inside. Luckily I managed to mouse in just the right place to hit the hatch inside and EVA.

That's weird...The habitat does not have any crew capacity set prior to being deployed. Even the "CrewCapacity" entry is not set in the .cfg file. I once have seen a thread where someone had to rescue a Kerbal from the RC001S Remote Guidance Unit, maybe this is the same bug.

I think i'll still move the hatches to a place where they are always accessible, this would also help with the too small doors.