ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

I just stumbled on this mod and got to say that it is pretty amazing. Even more, it is something that I really wanted for KSP for some time now. There seems to be a little room for improvement left at the moment though, as discovering planets seems to be (I only had time to watch the video and read the thread so far) either clicking through funds and science on the ground or sending up a telescope and then targeting and discovering all planetary bodies in like 15 min.

To make the gameplay more interesting it would be good to have more research levels for every body (already hinted by you); most importantly one where they are not even unknown objects yet (so that you can't just simply target them) and that advancing a research level would take time (already hinted by you too!). So the research levels could be something like "not known" -> "unknown object" -> "know the orbit" -> "know what it looks like" -> "know its details" and advancing a level would take some time researching it. The last two levels could even be split down to gaining higher quality images and gaining each fact individually (mass, size, ...). Telescope size would determine how far you can research a certain object (depending on the body's size and distance) so that you would either have to build a really big telescope or send a probe with a camera (would work exactly like a telescope gameplay wise, just a lot smaller and lighter+having to be really close) to get certain information about further out bodies (especially with stuff like outer planets mod).

So a telescope can be used to either "Find new body" or to "Research a body further" with both costing a monthly (daily?) rate of funds if you let the tracking station do it. With the "Research a body further" it could be possible to skip the unknown object phase if you point it right.

Sorry for going a bit overboard with suggestions here, but I got to say that this mod really excites me with all its potential for making the research of celestial bodies more interesting!

I just stumbled on this mod and got to say that it is pretty amazing. Even more, it is something that I really wanted for KSP for some time now. There seems to be a little room for improvement left at the moment though, as discovering planets seems to be (I only had time to watch the video and read the thread so far) either clicking through funds and science on the ground or sending up a telescope and then targeting and discovering all planetary bodies in like 15 min.

It's actually planned for the next update. So what you'll have to do is first track the body using the telescope so you can know its color but no data about it. Then go back to the space center. Here you'll see you can not track the bodies anymore, only research data about the bodies you already have been tracking before.

It's about what you hope, uh ?

It's actually planned for the next update. So what you'll have to do is first track the body using the telescope so you can know its color but no data about it. Then go back to the space center. Here you'll see you can not track the bodies anymore, only research data about the bodies you already have been tracking before.

It's about what you hope, uh ?

That sounds pretty sweet and I will definitely give it a try when you post the next version (Finally a reason to download the newest KSP version). My main concern is that at the moment it is too easy to point the telescope at a body by just going in the map view and targeting an "unknown object" and then using the target on the navball. Having to first "find" those unknown objects or otherwise having to point the telescope without targeting would be nice.

Few answers.

Tarsier telescopes compatibility is planned.

Reward science on body discovery wasn't planned but is now planned because it is a great idea ! But not with discovery with space center, only using the telescopes parts.

Career missions are NOT hidden but this is planned too.

Hi, I am the maintainer of Tarsier Space Tech. I have been watching this thread with some interest and posted back on July 3rd with no response.

I've been asked a few times about TST compatibility with this mod. but I struggle to understand how the mechanics would work.

Essentially this mod requires you to research or find bodies before you can see them.... but a Telescope automatically sees what it can see in it's viewfinder.

I'm curious to know what kind of integration/gameplay you think would work for TST and this mod to work together better?

My thoughts are I could change TST so:-

1) you can't target un-researched/not found bodies by default (as currently you can)

2) TST telescopes if they are pointed at an unknown body they are then discovered within ResearchBodies.

3) Whether there is a progression in status from when I first look at a body, to taking pictures with TST (which changes the status further in ResearchBodies).

Thoughts? Ideas? If this is something people want then I am happy to make the changes to TST if an API to ResearchBodies is available.

Hi ! I'm sorry I didn't answer you before, I didn't see your post...

When I first thought to a compatibility I thought I'll contact you in the future :)

Your ideas are great, bu I think you'll need a bit of API for this which is clearly not nicely implemented for the moment.

There is a Database class in the mod that loads config from cfg and planet packs cfgs, from here you can get a list of celestial bodies that are 'ignored', so these bodies have no further config.

All saved data is in a cfg stored in the savegame folder.

But since I'm reordering and remaking the process I think it would be nice to wait for the next update before I give you more details.

Hi ! I'm sorry I didn't answer you before, I didn't see your post...

When I first thought to a compatibility I thought I'll contact you in the future :)

Your ideas are great, bu I think you'll need a bit of API for this which is clearly not nicely implemented for the moment.

There is a Database class in the mod that loads config from cfg and planet packs cfgs, from here you can get a list of celestial bodies that are 'ignored', so these bodies have no further config.

All saved data is in a cfg stored in the savegame folder.

But since I'm reordering and remaking the process I think it would be nice to wait for the next update before I give you more details.

No Problem on before.

I think you should write an API that other mods can use and reference (rather than digging into config files/nodes) as it is better design to loosely couple through defined API's.

I'd rather not tightly couple TST to this mod by referencing internal database structures/classes and config files.

Consider in your reordering and remaking process how you want your mod to work with other mods like TST and include these design elements in an API.

As I said, I think it would be best if you provide an API that provides access to your database, what bodies are discovered or not discovered.

What are the pre-conditions for discovering a body, if any.

Do Bodies have various states of discovery that say a telescope can upgrade. Such as , newly found, mapped, etc..

Do you intend to have a contract system/progression? Does this need to interact with other mods through the API?

Etc, etc.

PM me when you wish to discuss further, or if you wish to discuss any details, design ideas/considerations, example for an API (I have a couple) etc. :wink:

Edited by JPLRepo

Dev Status:

New telescope model made by the wonderful French user Well is now ready to be used

TB-75M_04.jpgBeautiful isn't it ? Thank you so much Well :)

It has some small RCS thrusters at the bottom to correct the orbit if needed.

Also the UI has been completely revamped in the space center. Now Wernher von Kerman invites you to choose a body in the list of all the tracked ones and launch a research plan for it to be able to launch vessels to it.

The telescope UI hasn't been modified, I have no idea of what to change.... I think it has to stay simple, but if I suddenly have an idea I'll implement it :)

Update 1.4 is coming this week !

Update v1.4

• New telescope model made by forum user Well
  • Complete overhaul of the tracking process :
    • first find a celestial body in space with the telescope
    • then go back to the space center, launch a research plan for this body.
    • when the research state is 100% you can launch vessels to it

[*]Added Wernher von Kerman portrait to space center UI

[*]Added Locale system

[*]Added French locale

[*]finding bodies with the telescope now rewards science

[*]ModuleManager is now version 2.6.7

[*]API accessibility for other mods

[*]tweaks on telescope stats

Download from 75px-Curse%2C_Inc_Logo.png

Source code & API details included

IF YOU ARE UPDATING THE MOD (not installing for the first time) please

DELETE PREVIOUS VERSION COMPLETELY BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONE.

★ Give reputation or donate if you like :wink:

Support on Patreon | Donate with Paypal

A very nice mod!

Congratulations! :D To you and Well also!

The ui in space center with Wherner is amazing!

May I suggest a support for Remote Tech? I also tried to attach something on the telescope body but I can't.. Is it intended?

Also RCS ports included... :confused: I don't understand their function.

However the mod is great! I'm using it in my career mode and no problem so far!

A very nice mod!

Congratulations! :D To you and Well also!

The ui in space center with Wherner is amazing!

May I suggest a support for Remote Tech? I also tried to attach something on the telescope body but I can't.. Is it intended?

Also RCS ports included... :confused: I don't understand their function.

However the mod is great! I'm using it in my career mode and no problem so far!

I'll fix the fact that we can not attach parts on the telescope ;)

RCS re not in 4 directions but only forward if you want a perfect orbit :)

I'll fix the fact that we can not attach parts on the telescope ;)

RCS re not in 4 directions but only forward if you want a perfect orbit :)

I suspected it! :-)

Can I also suggest another thing?

Actually you spend science to get info and unlock orbit on map and gather funds, but shouldn't be the contrary? I mean you spend found for reaserch, unlock the body and earn science?

Tell me if I become insopportable!

I prefer this to Tarsier becouse it does something useful instead of anonimous images!

I suspected it! :-)

Can I also suggest another thing?

Actually you spend science to get info and unlock orbit on map and gather funds, but shouldn't be the contrary? I mean you spend found for reaserch, unlock the body and earn science?

Tell me if I become insopportable!

I prefer this to Tarsier becouse it does something useful instead of anonimous images!

You're not insopportable at all, I like the fact that someones suggest things so I can evolve the mod the best that I can !

Yes you're completely right, it would be better : spend funds, earn science

Tarsier is also a great mod ! I'm currently working with JPLRepo to make Tarsier "anonymous" pictures increase the bodies research or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, nice idea for the Plugin, but

the telecope miss collider, radial attachmentpoints for RCS and Solar-Panels.

Yes, as I said to stardestroyer, I'll make it possible to attach other parts on the telescope in the next update.

I think I've found a bug:

In the Administration office since I've installed Research Body appears like this:

91EC519049AF9802E3CA2AE9B04FBE8C4BA38EA4

simon56modder, do you think is possible to avoid that in mission control can appear a contract about a celestial body not yet discovered? Maybe it's a mine problem becouse I've installed it on an already started career...

I think I've found a bug:

In the Administration office since I've installed Research Body appears like this:

I didn't see this problem with Mortimer's portrait... Something to fix !

simon56modder, do you think is possible to avoid that in mission control can appear a contract about a celestial body not yet discovered? Maybe it's a mine problem becouse I've installed it on an already started career...

No it's not specific to you, but this is planned to be removed !

Dev status:

I've been working on multiple things :

First, contracts. The game won't give you contracts that are impossible because you haven't discovered them yet.

Then, difficulty options. At the beginning of a game, you'll have to choose between 3 or 4 difficulty presets. This will change : "pre-discovered" bodies (For instance in 'easy' mode you'll get Duna, Jool, Eve from start, but in hard Minmus only), funds and science points values, telescope minimum altitude, a few things like that.

I also tried to remove this administration building bug that makes Mortimer portrait strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to edit the science rewards/costs? Getting 8 science for tracking, then having to pay about 50 science to do research on it is too expensive imo.

Nevermind, I found by looking at your code!

Edited by Deep silence

Is there a way to edit the science rewards/costs? Getting 8 science for tracking, then having to pay about 50 science to do research on it is too expensive imo.

Nevermind, I found by looking at your code!

This will be configurable in the future, for the moment you can just check in the code :)