The Asteroid Sentinels: A KSP Graphic Novel (Series 8 Episode 10: Finale!)

THE ASTEROID SENTINELS

Due to the release of the Asteroid Day mod, I decided to write a graphic novel detailing my explorations of asteroids. It's notable that there is a huge bump in production quality and plot over time, which is why there are a couple ways to read The Asteroid Sentinels.

1. You can read the whole thing from Series 1. It's good if you want to know every bit in the story, but the current stories are quite different in format and plot from the first ones.

2. You can also read from Series 5 with this Star Wars-style title crawl that summarizes the Series 1-4. (Series 5's format is quite similar to the current ones)

COMPANION THREADS

Self-Analysis and More on the Series (Read it after you've read the series)

The Many Ships of The Asteroid Sentinels

Read all of Series 2 here (No Series 1, since it is all on this page, and some dialogue was on the forums itself. Both series don't have much character development, but still key to plot. 1 and 2 cover Sentinel and ADM.

Series 3 (Switch to Powerpoint, some character, ARM launches)

Interlude (Crisis) (Lots of character advancement)

Series 4+4B (12 entries, main themes take rise)

Series 5  (10 entries, Includes holiday special, etc)

Interlude 2 (Transit)

Series 6

Series 7 starts on this page. You can read the whole thing here.

CRAFTS

SENTINEL Space Telescope (Uses Asteroid Day Mod)

Phoenix Supersonic Aircraft

AJAndPn.png

BD8zPQF.png

Gene Kerman: :huh: So what's the trajectory? Surely Elon's Falcon is too large for an LKO mission right? Why Infrared?

Wernher Von Kerman: :)Nah, Heliocentric. We'll send it on a Eve flyby to cut the orbit, and because when we're inside Kerbin's Orbit, we will be able to investigate Asteroids IN Kerbin's orbit, something our telescopes on Kerbin can't do. We'll toss on the Infrared Scope because it can find faint objects we wouldn't see coming on our normal telescopes.

Gene: :blush: So once we find a asteroid heading for us, we will deflect it with a large rocket?

Wernher Von Kerman::wink: Sure thing, I'm working on it. Hopefully we can capture it to study it too! :)

ZWADYE2.png

Wernher Von Kerman: Launch window is in 10 days, we'll have to be quick but safe about it.

End Of Entry 1.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Looks like fun and I like the graphic novel style :).

I just started the contract for this in career mode. I'm doing it without an Eve encounter because I don't want to wait another 250 24-hr days for an Eve window, so the probe has beaucoup dV. It'll take months to get the probe on station. I could do a burn 14 days after leaving Kerbin's SOI to get my Pe in the right place but then it's half a year to reach Pe so I can correct my Ap.

BTW, "Allons-y" ? So Gene is really Jean? :D

Why is he upset? Random Conventional Gravity Assist!

Well, it ruins his eve gravity assist intentions, he wanted his Oberth effect.... Plus, it's been a classic: ruining/delaying my transits to eve :P If we tried to go with it, we would have gone 1/2 way to moho :P

Looks like fun and I like the graphic novel style .

I just started the contract for this in career mode. I'm doing it without an Eve encounter because I don't want to wait another 250 24-hr days for an Eve window, so the probe has beaucoup dV. It'll take months to get the probe on station. I could do a burn 14 days after leaving Kerbin's SOI to get my Pe in the right place but then it's half a year to reach Pe so I can correct my Ap.

BTW, "Allons-y" ? So Gene is really Jean?

I decided to use my second stage, I only packed 500m/s, I've gotten the mission up to Eve approach. I wanted to go full Oberth Effect, and there would be a reason why, including the above :D. If he's Jean? Not sure...

Edited by SaturnianBlue
Explaining!

Alright, here's entry 4: Eve, and I may be gone for a short bit after this entry.

hTqukxN.png

6pI8abG.png

AHCelib.png

WYtHX6P.png

After this entry, there is likely one last entry focused on Sentinel left, and then I'll move on to maybe a AIDA styled AIM/DART mission, and certainly onto ARM/ADM. Thanks for reading ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the long break, had a short vacation, and then started on my New Horizons replica, then this mac ran out of storage, so I couldn't write the entry for a while. Here it is, Entry 5, the final Sentinel Focused one, we'll go to ADM (Asteroid Deflection Mission) next. Here it is, the Chapter 1 finale!

GLgJTRs.jpg

I'm planning on doing a modded career Mission report, but that will take longer to produce than these shorts.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Are you doing the contract for this, or is this sandbox? I'm doing the contract and am unsure what to expect or if I'm doing it right.

Like you, I've found several highly inclined asteroids. No "comets" yet, but I'm happy to see they actually exist in the game.

Are you doing the contract for this, or is this sandbox? I'm doing the contract and am unsure what to expect or if I'm doing it right.

Like you, I've found several highly inclined asteroids. No "comets" yet, but I'm happy to see they actually exist in the game.

I'm doing it in sandbox. I also found asteroids that were on a direct suborbital path on the sun.... I've found a comet with an apoapsis at least 5 times the distance of Jool.

"Direct suborbital path on the sun"? You mean their Pe was inside the sun? Like they launched from there? That's funny. You should post a pic of one of those in the general thread and start a discusson on the weird stars in KSP that burp out asteroids :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the 15 day break, I've been at camp, without access to the outside world... The solution just keeps getting better and better, in both interpretations of that sentence... Yes, 2 references, lets see if they can be found. ;)

orQVxCE.pngDirect Link (Still not working for iPads!) http://i.imgur.com/orQVxCE.png

Edited by SaturnianBlue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.