The Asteroid Sentinels: A KSP Graphic Novel (Series 8 Episode 10: Finale!)

19 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

The KSP Crashing situation is mostly under control, at least for now, here's another teaser!

That's a wild-looking tangle of subassemblies, which seems to be your trademark.  How you manage to fly them, I have no idea :)

12 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

That's a wild-looking tangle of subassemblies, which seems to be your trademark.  How you manage to fly them, I have no idea :)

Hyper edit. :blush: The problem is that with The Asteroid Sentinels is new ideas and crafts keep coming up, but physically in game it would take too long to get stuff while the ships being focused right now reach their destinations, the crafts being sent there. Or the problem is that it would just take too much IRL time, considering that my posting schedule could potentially be described as "Adams-esque", considering home many times I talk behind schedule. :P 

The station, while hyper edited up, is still fly able as smaller rocket pieces, with a "core", the four sections attached on the core, the escape pod, and that craft shown earlier.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Here's the fourth episode of Series 7, and personally, I think it's the biggest one so far! And A choice. One that could be dumb, one that could be smart. But what will it truly mean?

2xDAxsi.jpgsw97qma.pngWx17u5e.pngkVLNWSV.jpgDELZNk4.jpgMM6yMvE.jpg

Tell me what you think about the portals. Have the explanations been a bit too hard? How's the characters if the Real Deal Front? What did you think of the set designs and my use of Greenscreen. What do you think about the reactions to Jeb's Plan? Whose more reasonable? And don't worry, some more context is coming as to the station, Bonnie, and Jeb, alone... Without anyone, back in time. Also, anyone find any of the references? :) What about format?

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Here's the fourth episode of Series 7, 

Yay, new episode!

5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Tell me what you think about the portals. Have the explanations been a bit too hard? How's the characters if the Real Deal Front? What did you think of the set designs and my use of Greenscreen. What do you think about the reactions to Jeb's Plan? Whose more reasonable? And don't worry, some more context is coming as to the station, Bonnie, and Jeb, alone... Without anyone, back in time. Also, anyone find any of the references? :) What about format?

Portals?  Fine with me.  After all, I needed divine intervention to save my last mission :)  As to the mechanics of how you present your story, that's for you to decide.  I have no complaints so keep on with how you're doing it.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yay, new episode!

Portals?  Fine with me.  After all, I needed divine intervention to save my last mission :)  As to the mechanics of how you present your story, that's for you to decide.  I have no complaints so keep on with how you're doing it.

Great, I don't really want to confuse the readers with a strange subplot with strange premises. 

• 3 months later...

Apologies if this may count as a necro post, but now that I've started making the next episode of this series, i've realized a problem, which is that In 1.1, Kerbpaint does not work. While I knew this, it means that the color of the mega asteroid is basically bleached, and a white ball floating around is not as visually interesting as the intended colors. Thus I stand at a crossroads: Keep using 1.0.5 for now, deal with the issues of it, and hope kerbapaint updates sometime, or use 1.1, but unfortunately face the problems of no Kerbpaint. (However, only crafts used in future episodes and the asteroid will be affected.)

In other news, I've download texture replacer head packs so I can make my kerbals easier to identify and such, I've finished the dialogue, and I've made any drawings that will be used in the next installment.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Glad to see you're still alive :)

In 1.1.3, default asteroids sometimes come in various colors, so you might be able to use one of the stock textures for your killer asteroid.

But OTOH, with 1.0.5 you don't have the total nightmare with wheels and lander legs that have existed since 1.1.  Given that you use a lot of lander legs, you might be safer staying with 1.0.5.  I've totally abandoned lander legs in 1.1.x and instead use solid structural parts.  These not only don't have the bizarre bugs of the actual legs, but also stick to the ground much better instead of sliding on the slightest slope.

16 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Apologies if this may count as a necro post, but now that I've started making the next episode of this series, i've realized a problem, which is that In 1.1, Kerbpaint does not work. While I knew this, it means that the color of the mega asteroid is basically bleached, and a white ball floating around is not as visually interesting as the intended colors. Thus I stand at a crossroads: Keep using 1.0.5 for now, deal with the issues of it, and hope kerbapaint updates sometime, or use 1.1, but unfortunately face the problems of no Kerbpaint. (However, only crafts used in future episodes and the asteroid will be affected.)

In other news, I've download texture replacer head packs so I can make my kerbals easier to identify and such, I've finished the dialogue, and I've made any drawings that will be used in the next installment.

I wish there was some way to save my Emiko asteroid as a craft file so I could send you a copy.  It's also a 100m diameter monster, and least it would look like a regular asteroid and not bleached.

Could you maybe use one of the new magic boulders instead?  If you're using HyperEdit, it's not hard to find them.  I know it's not the same, but they are colored and glow and can look pretty ominous.

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I wish there was some way to save my Emiko asteroid as a craft file so I could send you a copy.  It's also a 100m diameter monster, and least it would look like a regular asteroid and not bleached.

Could you maybe use one of the new magic boulders instead?  If you're using HyperEdit, it's not hard to find them.  I know it's not the same, but they are colored and glow and can look pretty ominous.

Maybe, but there is quite a difference in scale, since mine is a ~300 meters or so. But I might consider the magic boulders.

16 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Maybe, but there is quite a difference in scale, since mine is a ~300 meters or so. But I might consider the magic boulders.

300 meters?  OMG.... I had no idea they got that big!  If you don't mind me asking, how much does it weigh in at?

Edited by Just Jim

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

300 meters?  OMG.... I had no idea they got that big!  If you don't mind me asking, how much does it weigh in at?

Actually, I made it with giant parts from WW2Warships and Welding. So I made it weigh 44 Million tons.

Sadly the stock ones don't get that big.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

14 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Actually, I made it with giant parts from WW2Warships and Welding. So I made it weigh 44 Million tons.

Sadly the stock ones don't get that big.

44 million ton and made from battleship parts???  Darth Vader would be so proud!  :D

And now I see the dilemma.  As far as stock, Emiko is the biggest I've found, and weighs in at just under 4,000t. 

I've never looked myself, but are there any mods that generate or modify asteroids?  

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

44 million and made from battleship parts???  Darth Vader would be so proud!  :D

And now I see the dilemma.  As far as stock, Emiko is the biggest I've found, and weighs in at just under 4,000t. 

I've never looked myself, but are there any mods that generate or modify asteroids?  

I haven't seen any that make bigger ones, but I believe there are ones that help make asteroids spawn in many more places. (If I recall correctly, it has OPM support.) 

6 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I haven't seen any that make bigger ones, but I believe there are ones that help make asteroids spawn in many more places. (If I recall correctly, it has OPM support.) 

I know you can find a lot more using the Asteroid Day mod

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I know you can find a lot more using the Asteroid Day mod

As it happens, the main reason I initially started this series was to explore the mod.

So in the end, do you think I should use 1.0.5 or 1.1?

17 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

So in the end, do you think I should use 1.0.5 or 1.1?

That's not an easy question.  Especially from a writing POV.  I totally get where your at, believe me. 

In the short term, if you need to get thru the next couple chapters, you may be best staying with 1.0.5, if it's working OK enough.

But I'm afraid you may be stuck upgrading eventually.  Especially if one of the future updates surprises us with some cool new parts or something.  Or making Asteroid Day completely stock, which is what I'm hoping.  You may end up with no choice in the long run.

If it were me, I would probably use 1.0.5 for now and do some serious thinking and re-writing and damage control, so to speak, and plan on how best to upgrade to 1.1.  Maybe your monster could be split into half a dozen huge class-E's?  IDK... I'm just pulling stuff from thin air, and have no real idea where you want to take this... but I'm sure if you think about it long enough, you can find a way to adjust things but still end up where you wanted to go.

Also remember, all of us here on the forum know how an upgrade can screw up a saved game using mods, and are very, very understanding of the situation.  If you have to fudge things a little, I'm betting everyone will look the other way...  :wink:

Finally, the newest episode of The Asteroid Sentinels is out! Jeb is on his quest to intercept the asteroid, and Valentina has quite a talk with Bonnie Kerman...PVJlvp3.png

YoiEcWB.png

BMfQJed.png

7aF2YmL.pngxLQq6WK.pngDoCnJUe.pngFirst time i've used texture replacer for the heads. Did the conversations flow? The thing I kind of fear is that there been a bit too much telling and not showing, but what do you think? Are there any inconsistencies in characters? Is all of this a bit confusing? And what about the formatting, considering I haven't done the sort of thing in months. What did you think of the little drawings done for the episode?

A bonus feature for today, the pictures used in today's episode, in full resolution!5Eq2xwS.pngMCtp8Sb.png

Don't worry, HAL just means Highly logicAL computer! Or is it really?

Also:In very small font it says for Munry's Corporation Productivity/Snack Aid that there is a 100% increase in productivity, but unfortunately it also says the "1" in 100% doesn't count, so it's just 0%...

Edited by SaturnianBlue

On 7/26/2016 at 10:31 AM, SaturnianBlue said:

First time i've used texture replacer for the heads. Did the conversations flow? The thing I kind of fear is that there been a bit too much telling and not showing, but what do you think? Are there any inconsistencies in characters? Is all of this a bit confusing? And what about the formatting, considering I haven't done the sort of thing in months. What did you think of the little drawings done for the episode?

Texture Replacer is a wonderful thing, especially for identifying specific Kerbals.

It's a bit confusing but that's OK because you don't want your readers to know what's going to happen next.

I thought the conversation flowed quite well, all things considered.  

----------

Anyway, this is quite interesting.  The Killer Asteroid looks like an artifact, not a natural space rock.  But because Jeb didn't mention this, I assume that you had to build your own Killer Asteroid because nothing in KSP is big enough.  That must have been a major project!

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Texture Replacer is a wonderful thing, especially for identifying specific Kerbals.

It's a bit confusing but that's OK because you don't want your readers to know what's going to happen next.

I thought the conversation flowed quite well, all things considered.  

----------

Anyway, this is quite interesting.  The Killer Asteroid looks like an artifact, not a natural space rock.  But because Jeb didn't mention this, I assume that you had to build your own Killer Asteroid because nothing in KSP is big enough.  That must have been a major project!

Yep, it took battleship parts and welding to make it work. But unfortunately because of the lag in 1.0.5 it ended up a bit simple. Of course, I didn't really have experience building Killer asteroids, so the flat bits kind of ruined the naturally-ness of it all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.