Noob-ish discussions

Yobobhi

Right now I am at the stage where I am sort of a noob, but I know my way around the game. My achievements so far are- Landing on the Mun (And coming back) Landing on Duna (And not coming back, so I decided I now have a surface base on Duna. :cool:) I have made an ssto, and that's about the extent of my accomplishments. So I made this thread for people who know their way around KSP, but don't do like a round-trip of the solar system. And, any "Pros" can post some tips and tricks for us average Joes. This is my first original thread, so dont hate on me for anything. *UPDATE* So, its been about a 3 months since I checked this thread. And I now have some advice for people. SPACE SHUTTLE REPLICAS SUCK! I have made one, but it is the derpiest craft ever. It doesn't have enough stability with low fuel at high speeds, so on reentry it just flips around, and then once you regain control it still doesn't work very well. It can get to orbit, but that was achieved by shoving an orange tank in the payload bay :( Unless you want hours of rage, and an anticlimactic ending, don't even TRY a Space Shuttle replica. At least from my point of view.

Edited by Yobobhi
Just wanted to add a bit to the thread

If you've made an SSTO, you're doing better than some old-timers already!

My advice: Don't rush to go everywhere as quickly as you can. If you do, you'll soon run out of new places to go and you'll regret it.

Right now I am at the stage where I am sort of a noob, but I know my way around the game. My achievements so far are- Landing on the Mun (And coming back) Landing on Duna (And not coming back, so I decided I now have a surface base on Duna. :cool:) I have made an ssto, and that's about the extent of my accomplishments. So I made this thread for people who know their way around KSP, but don't do like a round-trip of the solar system. And, any "Pros" can post some tips and tricks for us average Joes. This is my first original thread, so dont hate on me for anything.

On definitely on board that group. My lifetime KSP achievements have been 1) Crewed Munar landing and return; 2) Crewed Minmus landing and return; 3) Uncrewed Eve landing (no return); 4) Uncrewed Duna landing (no return). And that's it. Definitely no SSTOs.

I'm the poster-child for Randazzo's "Don't rush everywhere" recommendation. :D

Do you have docking down yet? That's just as key as figuring out how to get interplanetary. Once you have docking down, and can regularly hit Duna, exploring the rest of the system is just more dv. I would recommend Jool/Val/Layethe as the next targets as they aren't that difficult to reach, and the Jool system looks great. I've over 1500 hours in the game, and still haven't done an Eve or Moho return. Some things are just too much of a pain for me to bother with. Do things that will help you master a skill set. For example, setting up an orbital refinery around Minmus and boosting ore up to it will help you get docking down. Moving the resulting fuel over to Mun will help with transfer orbits. Play all 3 modes as they each have their own strengths and drawbacks. Do crazy stuff just because. Each failure will teach, and each success will spur you on to greater heights! :)

I've sent kerbals to the Mun and Minmus and returned them. I've sent kerbals to Eve orbit without return, and Duna (crash) landing. I've sent a probe to land on Ike, and to orbit Jool.

I have built a space station, and a small base on the Mun.

I have caught an asteroid, but in Kerbolar Orbit.

I did get a single kerbal to Laythe once. But only once.

My achievements so far are- Landing on the Mun (And coming back) Landing on Duna (And not coming back, so I decided I now have a surface base on Duna. :cool:)

I have Jeb, Bill and Bob all stranded on Laythe without fuel or antennas with 1500 science points in their capsule. I have literally no clue how to get them back.

Perhaps a big space plane with orbiting support station... but I have 25 science in the bank and no turbojet engines.

The moral of my tale of woe is to take it slowly, make small steps to advance your space race and you'll not end up like me -- completely stuck :D

Even long(ish) time players can tie themselves up in knots.

Well done on returning from the Mun, that is probably the biggest achievement for a new player. I recommend trying an orbital rendezvous and docking in orbit around Kerbin. If you can understand this then you'll have a HUGE advantage for planning future missions. To test your new skills, try reproducing the Apollo 11 mission by following the original mission plan.

Do you listen to the Kerbal Podcast? http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

It's a fun listen if you're in the mood for some light, informal KSP chatter. I recommend going back to episode 1 and listening to them in order.

Edited by wossname

Early on I failed to remain upright when landing on Minmus. I took it as a challenge to go get the little guys. Ended up with a junkyard on the surface before finally figuring out how to bring them home. I was originally using a one man pod. At the final rescue, I had a full hitchhiker can and a full pod that I sent as an unmanned probe. First time on Duna I ran out of fuel while landing. Yep, rescue mission. Fun times. Now I mostly use Mechjeb for maneuvers. My fun is in the design and carrying out a mission not the flying. I also only play sandbox. I tried career but it isn't for me. I want to boldly go where no Kerbal has gone before, not go where I'm told. That said, the new heat and areo in 1.04 has me relearning how to reenter. Finding it hard.

I would suggest building on what you have already achieved. You've been to Duna but not returned. Maybe the goal for your next mission would be to get back as well. Expanding on your successful visits to Mun, have you tried landing 2 ships in close proximity there? If you want to build a Mun base, or a base anywhere else for that matter, if it's going to be of any appreciable size you will need to master targeted landing.

My tip from an average player, try to figure things out on your own without guides or YouTube. its fun. I remember making countless attempts at a mun landing. Then managed a orbital meeting, and following that my first interplanetary transfer. And remember, a mission isn't a failure until it explodes. For example, rocket loses fuel tanks on staging, drain fuel to balance rocket, and use some of the payload to achieve orbit. Or on my first interplanetary trip, I had missed minmus (the probe intended target) and instead after getting flung out into interplanetary space, set course for eve. Moral of the story, if you fail, there are almost always alternatives, get creative and figure it out. And if you actually fail, try, try again.

An ssto is a more advanced accomplishment. Landings and returns are mostly just practice(except for that damnd planet eve...)

I myself have built two returnable sstos. Only one of which can actually carry a payload(though its small) so kudos to you! You should post it to show off your skills and so I can learn from your design

The furthest I've been is a one-way trip to Eve, which doesn't really count as much harder than Mun-Minmus returns because this was pre-1.0 and you could just scream in and use parachutes. I still fall over regularly on Mun.

If you've made an SSTO, you're doing better than some old-timers already!

My advice: Don't rush to go everywhere as quickly as you can. If you do, you'll soon run out of new places to go and you'll regret it.

I`ll second this one, take your time at each planet and remember to have lots of fun!

Since version 0.9.0ish, I have not ventured further than Minmus. There isn't any need, or rather, there is plenty to keep me busy where I am... learning.

I built a rover and then after about 5 crashes, figured out that I would land it like a rocket and then use RCS to tip it onto its wheels.... THAT was a defining moment for me in game.

So, noobs like me should stay "local" till they learn, or figure out all the tricks.

:)

Edited by kiwi1960

As others have said before those things graduate you from a noob to a regular kerbonaut. As for tips:

1. Do not transfer into Solar/Kerbolar orbit first when going interplanetary but instead launch yourself directly from Kerbin's orbit. Tutorials are on the net and some mods are very helpful for this.
  2. Do some research on FAR even if you end up not using it.
  3. Give up on Eve (and probably Tylo although it's easier [for me]) for now and try to do a return mission to the rest of the bodies. This is not overly difficult although it might take some time.
  4. When you get bored (it might take months/years), try mods. Some are really excellent but I recommend waiting some time and playing stock (except possibly FAR).

As others have said before those things graduate you from a noob to a regular kerbonaut. As for tips:

1. Do not transfer into Solar/Kerbolar orbit first when going interplanetary but instead launch yourself directly from Kerbin's orbit. Tutorials are on the net and some mods are very helpful for this.
  2. Do some research on FAR even if you end up not using it.
  3. Give up on Eve (and probably Tylo although it's easier [for me]) for now and try to do a return mission to the rest of the bodies. This is not overly difficult although it might take some time.
  4. When you get bored (it might take months/years), try mods. Some are really excellent but I recommend waiting some time and playing stock (except possibly FAR).

Your opinion is noted. Next! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I haven't landed on the Mun yet. I want to learn to dock first. And, by Jebediah's NavBall, this training tutorial is driving me crazy. I give myself two more days before giving up with the tuto and, like I did with the mun tutorials, just do things my own way and prey for success... If it doesn't work, MechJeb will ;)

Hi Yobobhi

Good Thread, i consider myself after some hundred (:blush:... maybe way more) hours of playing KSP still as a Noob, go ahead! i can do some things good, and others not so well, here is incredible lots of stuff to discover, maybe endlessly.

People here are real nice and helpfull.

Patience is the key. Actually i am rediscovering atmospheric flight... endless options :confused:!

As mentioned above try all by yourself, before looking for advice or hints!

I'm a pro guy.

Best advice I can give:

KSP is an opportunity to learn and apply the basics of rocket science and aerospace engineering, so don't pass it up! When you run into a brick wall, take the opportunity to learn about what's holding you back. Learn the math/ engineering principles (education) and apply them to your efforts (practice). Not only will this remove the frustration (rocket science isn't hard once you get the hang of it), but you get the extra reward of being able to help others on the forum when they're in a bind.

Best,

-Slashy

Well, last attempt at the docking tutorial was successful. Very long, but it worked. Funny thing is that, as with the mun tutorials, I only succeeded when I stopped following the tutorial and did things my way.

Now, to build a grabber for cleaning all the debris as training, then put a permanent lab in orbit, then launch the Mun lab, then use the science I'll get to build a rover, then explore, then ...!

I'm comfortable with transfers, rendezvous, docking, atmospheric flight, SSTO launch and landing, modular base/station building, aerobraking/aerocapture, and dealing with asteroids.

Still haven't landed anything outside the Kerbin system though :P

My advice would be for docking: Take it slow. I used to just dock visually, just keep checking at 90 degrees to make sure you stay lined up as you close in. Then I tried the Docking Alignment Indicator mod, which is especially awesome for IVA flying, and makes it even easier once you get used to it. You can do pretty close to the same kind of lineup with just the navball as well, line up your prograde with the target, used WASD to keep yourself aligned, and IJKL to keep the prograde marker aligned.

On my list of things to figure out is what the heck an ejection angle is, and other useful things for planning efficient transfers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.