[PART] [1.8.0 - 1.12+] ShadowWorks - Stockalike SLS, Delta IV, and More v2.0.5.1 Waterfall Edition [8-11-2021]

TheShadow1138

6 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Also, why does the Setesh IV DCSS and Serenity have no RCS? Not having RCS on the DCSS makes it useless for payload delivery, and not having RCS on the Serenity makes it useless as a tug. The fact that the Serenity has a large MP payload makes it seem like it's supposed to have RCS.

As long as your payload on the DCSS possesses reaction wheels, or Monopropellant and RCS thrusters you should have no problem delivering payloads to orbit with the Setesh IV.  As for the Serenity, it does possess Monopropellant, so you only need to attach RCS thrusters to the module to utilize it as a tug

On 2/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, TheShadow1138 said:

As long as your payload on the DCSS possesses reaction wheels, or Monopropellant and RCS thrusters you should have no problem delivering payloads to orbit with the Setesh IV.  As for the Serenity, it does possess Monopropellant, so you only need to attach RCS thrusters to the module to utilize it as a tug

But... The stock RCS is UGLY! It doesn't fit the general look of your mod.

2 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

But... The stock RCS is UGLY! It doesn't fit the general look of your mod.

Try the Orion's RCS pods on the Serenity, they have a slightly higher thrust and Isp in vacuum compared to the stock RCS quad.  I may have to consider including a more typical RCS quad in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

So I want to help with your mod. I have the intention of making the Skylab II conceptual station, but I do not know what 3D modeller to use. Do you use Autodesk, Collada, Blender, I don't know, what do you use? Anyway, the Skylab II would be made from the EUS tank just as the original Skylab was made from the S-IVB tank. It also has these girder things on top, I was thinking that I may use the top part of your SAW structure, rescaled. Just tell me if there is anything you can do to help, or any tips you can give me.

5 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

So I want to help with your mod. I have the intention of making the Skylab II conceptual station, but I do not know what 3D modeller to use. Do you use Autodesk, Collada, Blender, I don't know, what do you use? Anyway, the Skylab II would be made from the EUS tank just as the original Skylab was made from the S-IVB tank. It also has these girder things on top, I was thinking that I may use the top part of your SAW structure, rescaled. Just tell me if there is anything you can do to help, or any tips you can give me.

I use Autodesk Maya, but can export into several formats, such as Collada DAE, which is what I use to get the models into Unity.  If you would like, I could export the section(s) of the SAW models in DAE format for you to use.  I would suggest finding a 3D modeling package that  is right for you. Blender is free and there are plenty of tutorials around the internet, and more than a few here on the forums.  If this will be your first foray into 3D modeling, you may want to do some experimenting along with tutorials to help you learn the interface and intricacies of the software you choose and to develop your workflow and techniques.  I'd be happy to give you any pointers or tips as you begin the process.

35 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I use Autodesk Maya, but can export into several formats, such as Collada DAE, which is what I use to get the models into Unity.  If you would like, I could export the section(s) of the SAW models in DAE format for you to use.  I would suggest finding a 3D modeling package that  is right for you. Blender is free and there are plenty of tutorials around the internet, and more than a few here on the forums.  If this will be your first foray into 3D modeling, you may want to do some experimenting along with tutorials to help you learn the interface and intricacies of the software you choose and to develop your workflow and techniques.  I'd be happy to give you any pointers or tips as you begin the process.

Thanks. I'll probably need more than a bit of help, including config editing. I can't afford something as expensive as Maya, is there anything that can directly import the .mu files? All I'll really be doing is modifying a part, but... I don't know how the physics system works... If I can make the model, would you be willing to do rigging? I don't have much experience, but I know how to rescale and fuse things.

1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Thanks. I'll probably need more than a bit of help, including config editing. I can't afford something as expensive as Maya, is there anything that can directly import the .mu files? All I'll really be doing is modifying a part, but... I don't know how the physics system works... If I can make the model, would you be willing to do rigging? I don't have much experience, but I know how to rescale and fuse things.

Blender is just as capable as Maya, and I believe there are some .mu importer plugins here on the forums (I've pasted the link below)

Blender .mu Import/Export Plugin

As I said, Blender is completely free and available at: Blender Main Site

I can do animations if you don't want to try them yourself, and I'll give any help that I can.

14 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

Blender is just as capable as Maya, and I believe there are some .mu importer plugins here on the forums (I've pasted the link below)

Blender .mu Import/Export Plugin

As I said, Blender is completely free and available at: Blender Main Site

I can do animations if you don't want to try them yourself, and I'll give any help that I can.

Again, thanks. I think this bit would be nice to add to your modpack, as it can use already existing stock and parts from your pack, such as the stock radiators and your Orion panels.

• 1 month later...

Quick Development Update:

The Altair Lander Ascent Stage, Descent Stage, Landing Legs, Descent Stage RCS Pod, Decoupler, and IVA have been modeled and UV mapped.  Once they are textured I will post some renders and start putting all of the parts for the update into Unity.

On another note I am considering moving the mod download to GitHub with the release of the update.  Would interested parties find this an appealing option, or would Spacedock be the preferred delivery method?

Edited by TheShadow1138

11 hours ago, Kriskaniac said:

Is there any way to have both versions of the SLS textures in the game at the same time? As in the white textures and regular orange ones?

Not at the moment.  I've started looking into using Firespitter to allow both versions of the SLS textures.  It would make installation simpler as you wouldn't have to jump through hoops to use the white textures.

EDIT:  Firespitter's texture switcher looks like the way to go.  I will include a ModuleManager patch in the next update to allow for texture switching of the Exploration Upper Stage (EUS), ICPS, SLS Core Stage, and the 5-segment SRBs so that you can use either the plain white SRBs or the version with the orange and gray designs.

Edited by TheShadow1138

10 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

Not at the moment.  I've started looking into using Firespitter to allow both versions of the SLS textures.  It would make installation simpler as you wouldn't have to jump through hoops to use the white textures.

EDIT:  Firespitter's texture switcher looks like the way to go.  I will include a ModuleManager patch in the next update to allow for texture switching of the Exploration Upper Stage (EUS), ICPS, SLS Core Stage, and the 5-segment SRBs so that you can use either the plain white SRBs or the version with the orange and gray designs.

Awesome!! And thanks for the fast response!

Progress Update:

I have completed all but the emissive textures for the Altair lander, and as promised, here are some renders.

HSgd7pW.png

Z8rqL4p.png

35uzCOm.png

SFmq3Tz.png

The individual part run-down for the lander is:

The Ascent stage will be two parts, the crew module and engine.  The RCS on the Ascent Stage will be integrated with the crew module part.

The Decoupler will include, if possible, the airlock so that it will remain with the descent stage as it would have.

The Descent Stage will have integrated engines.

The RCS pods on the descent stage will be a separate part.

The Landing Legs will not have suspensions.

The top of the Ascent Stage will fit the docking port already in the mod.

All that is left is to do the animation for the RL-10B, export the parts to Unity, and setup the CFGs.  Of course the last two can be a little time consuming sometimes, so I won't ballpark a release, but it's getting closer.

Edited by TheShadow1138

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@TheShadow1138 Can you please make the SLS Block 2 advanced boosters white, because on recent pictures, they are shown like that.

Also, I can make the Firespitter texture switch 2 configs for you.

The advanced boosters for the Block 2 configuration that I put in the mod are the "Dark Knight" Solid Rocket Boosters that were Orbital ATK's submission to the Advanced Booster Competition, which are 4-segment boosters depicted in Orbital ATK's presentation documentation as having black casings as they were to have composite casings instead of steel.  They would have likely flown painted white, maybe with the orange and gray striping, but the Advanced Booster Competition was called off in 2015.  It is clear that NASA is still planning to use Advanced Boosters for the Block 2 SLS and their images show what looks like a monolithic SRB, but I can't find anything where they have accepted new proposals for Advanced Boosters so I don't know if those images represent a proposal, or just to show that the advanced booster (whatever they ultimately are) will be different from the Shuttle-derived 5-segment SRBs.

So, the short version (sorry for being long-winded) is that the Advanced Boosters in the mod are not (to my knowledge) going to be the boosters that will ultimately fly on the Block 2 SLS, and I like the black SRBs, I think they make the SLS look cool.  Also, having another large, white SRB in the parts list could confuse things more.  I could leave the black as default and include the white as an alternate texture in the next update, which I gather is kinda what your talking about.  I can do the Firespitter texture switching config, so no worries.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@TheShadow1138 Can you please take a look at this?

Thanks, Bottle Rocketeer

You seem to have a pretty good texture on that capsule already, what is it exactly that you are going for?  I would also say that without any indication as to where the windows fall on that UV map, it would be somewhat difficult to get the placement correct.

@TheShadow1138That isn't my capsule, but I want a similar texture for my capsule.

2 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

You seem to have a pretty good texture on that capsule already, what is it exactly that you are going for?  I would also say that without any indication as to where the windows fall on that UV map, it would be somewhat difficult to get the placement correct.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

2 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@TheShadow1138That isn't my capsule, but I want a similar texture for my capsule.

Oh, I just assumed that model was yours.  It would still be beneficial to know where the "front" (the windows) should fall on your UV map.  Without knowing that, it may not end up looking like you might expect.

Would something similar to this be what you're going for?

0IM0mcx.png

7 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Kind of, but with the window color like shown in the thread I told you to look at and the windows position being left window half on the edge of left half, the other two windows on the right half.

Updated UV map with "halves" instead of one semi-circle for sides here.

Well that's a little hard to tell are the lights on in the picture or off ? They look on

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.