[WIP] RD-0410 Soviet nuclear engine

kunok

The two link you present is from the same blog really, because the first one is a plagiarism without attributing the real source. The problem is that in 58-59 they really have "only" started with rocket engines, and had no idea about space reactors, so I expect to be overoptimistic and simplistic. But if you want to do that, you have all my help.

About the model as an engineer I can make some points. But I will start that I have no idea why you even will have more than a nozzle in that kind of engine? I can get if is a cluster to have a nozzle for every reactor, sharing some systems but doesn't seem the case. ( I know that is because the diagram of the engine you posted, but still)

The nozzles are very far from the reactor and they have weird expansion geometry, you should use a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Laval_nozzle, if you want to make a pipe use the part of less cross sectional area in middle of the nozzle, not put the pipe and then the start of the nozzle, making that you slow the flow, the star of the nozzle should be in the end of the reactor.

The things you call pistons in the blender file, they are some sort of control of the fissile bars, look at he video in op, they should be in the upper part only and being presented longitudinally.

Without the model I can't comment much more. If you don't understand I will make some sketch,

1 hour ago, kunok said:

About the model as an engineer I can make some points. But I will start that I have no idea why you even will have more than a nozzle in that kind of engine? I can get if is a cluster to have a nozzle for every reactor, sharing some systems but doesn't seem the case. ( I know that is because the diagram of the engine you posted, but still)

Yeah, that seemed suspicious to me as well, but reading the brief on astronautix seems to indicate that all four nozzles would be fed from the same reactor. I have a hard time imagining how the piping arrangement would've actually looked in such a case. What I may opt for instead is to size up the reactor housing and have them attach to it directly, somehow, which means the entire reactor will be part of the gimbaling arrangement (which will look super neat, but probably isn't very realistic).

As for the nozzles, I did try to make them de Laval-ish, 12 degrees expansion and all that jazz. I'll retouch them slightly, but I think they're looking odd also partially because of perspective.

As for the control rod actuators, I know what they are yet I misplaced them completely, thinking that *hey, maybe you could actuate them radially instead*. But that wouldn't make much sense now, would it? I may have been quite tired while doing most of the work, but better to get it out there early and reiterate often than to just correct the errors I detect on my own. :)

Great! glad this mod is getting resurrected, I'd love to play with some Soviet NTRs in game. I contribute to the Realism Overhaul github, so i can help to configure this if wanted :)

You might have this already, but there is quite a decent resolution picture of the RD-0410 in this PDF http://www.k204.ru/books/Aviadvigatel2.pdf on page 98 (has more plumbing than some other pictures for some reason)

Edited by SirKeplan

I have a first working model :) is still untextured, but I'm learning how to unity!

http://www.subirimagenes.com/imagen-firsttest-9565465.html

On 15/4/2016 at 6:28 PM, SirKeplan said:

Snip

Thanks a lot, it has a better resolution than my version. Now that I look it has a lot less pipes than looked in low res, but I still have no idea what are for example the red things. Looks like every set of three red things are in a tube that feeds the reactor, maybe some kind of valve?

I will add the red things to my model, and maybe more pipes.

Is too much to ask for a non-google translation of the text? The google translation is weird at best.

I also have an idea of how to do the RD-0411 version, I will show a model soon TM

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.