New Kerbonaut, follow my journey

Thunder_86

Hi everybody!

I'm a 29 years old guy from Quebec, Canada, and a fan of everything about human flight. planes, helicopters, and space ships. I'm also a fan of everything that touches space stuff. I'm fascinated everytime I see the moon or the stars. KSP is pretty much the perfect game for me!

I'm relatively new to KSP. I've tried it out in the very beginning back when there was no map, no maneuver nodes, no nothing.

The game was really good but lacked content. I stopped playing it and last weekend I decided to give it another go after reading about all the new stuff that's been added. I figured on saturday morning that I'd play it for an hour or so. I ended up doing nothing but playing KSP the entire weekend XD. This game is just way too good!

With that said, I had an idea. I am streaming on twitch once in a blue moon. I'm still trying to find a good game to stream. big maintream games gets a lot of viewers, but when you are a new streamer and dont have a good viewer base, your stream is at the very bottom, as they are ordered by viewer count.

the idea I had is to start a new "Adventures of a Kerbonaut" topic on these forums and start a new campain which I'll exclusively play on stream, and keep a record of what we did in the topic here, kindof like a Diary. I don't know if thats the kind of thing people would enjoy watching, but it would be fun for me to do, even if nobody comes to see the streams. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT ALL TIMES I PUT IN THAT TOPIC WILL BE AT MY LOCAL TIME ZONE: GMT-5.

In the strum, we shall learn togheter and make progress toward reaching the far ends of the galaxy! More experienced players can come and share tips and advices, while beginners can certainly learn a thing or two about the game. Some could just enjoy the entertainment of seeing me fail (or maybe have some success, who knows!).

I should start this adventure tonight around 5 or 6 pm (GMT -5). The topic will be created either after the stream or before the stream in an appropriate section here on the forums.

My stream's url is the following: www.twitch.tv/Thunder_86

The diary's address: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128685-Adventures-of-a-Kerbonaut

I hope to see a few people tonight and I hope you'll enjoy watching the "Adventures of a kerbonaut!" :)

Edited by Thunder_86
added the address of the diary thread!

:) Thanks a lot! I'm still a n00b at streaming as well, only streamed twice, and I would ideally need a better microphone, as right now it my laptop's integrated microphone that picks up my voice. Since I play on a second screen, my head is not even turned in the direction of the microphone. But I guess it works for now, nobody complained about the sound in all of my... 2 streams... yet XD.

I'm on a very tight budget for now, so the microphone is not a priority, but it sure would be great to improve that later.

I may or may not be streaming with the webcam on, I don't think its really necessary, I'm far from being that good looking anyways XD. But if everybody still wants to see my face, I'll add a face cam no problem lol.

Hopefully I see you on stream tonight, I don't know if I'm gonna be streaming for long, but like I said I'll keep this savegame for streams only. Its gonna be on carrer mode on Normal difficulty settings! I'm still on my 3-post caution period, so my posts are not displayed until a mod sees them. So far mods look pretty quick, my previous message took less than an hour to be reviewed, but I may go and start the topic right away, to be sure its up for tonight! :)

Hope to see you there tonight!

I know this isn't a budgeting forum, but anytime anyone mentions being on a tight budget I have to suggest YNAB. It's a great budgeting system with accompanying software. It's not an accounting program, but a money alocation system (like digital "envelopes system") You can learn more about it here: https://www.youneedabudget.com/ I won't go rambling off about it because this is the kerbal forums and not r/personalfinance. But it could help you realize that you actually can afford that new microphone, if you are going to really get into streaming and do it on a regular basis!

On an actually related note. This sounds like something I would watch and interact with!

Thats cool fury! Hope to see you around!

For that YNAB thingy I'll see, I won't go in the details here, lets just say my ex put me in a VERY rough situation... I might actually sell my house and move to a more affordable place as my house is far away from work(50km to go and 50 to come back... 100km a day! or 60miles for those who work with imperial systems), it costs me a crapton in gas, and the roommate that I got is an idiot and in my location its hard to replace him... So yeah. what will solve all my problems is just to move to an appartment closer to my work! Not counting the fact I live in Canada (winters are COLD), and its freaking expensive to heat up that 11½ house. in a small appartment, no stupid roommate, very low commute costs to go to work, and very low electricity bills, everything will be fine :). But thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. who knows, it might help! :)

Sorry About that I answered after you leave I realized I was talking alone lol.

So the engine I most like is the Terrier because its the most fuel efficient in vaccum. In athmosphere, I prefet the LT45. it has gimballing and is relatively efficient.

I'm faaaar from being a pro lol.

As for sandbox, yes, I use it sometimes to try stuff out. I was gonna say I'm never gonna stream it, but that actually might be good so people can give me pointers!

So thanks for tuning in, it was confused at moments, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) I'm gonna write in the Diary tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time to do that from work. I'm a programmer-analyst, which is a also refered to as a "professionnal slacker" XD

Hopefully my french accent wasn't too too hard to understand XD

My personal favorite is the Nuclear engine. Not only because I modded the **** out of it, but look at that Isp! Nowhere near ion level efficiency, but good enough.

Although I guess the Terrier is the ideal starting engine for landers.

If you do end up streaming sandbox, I might get a bit over-technical when referring to things, so please feel free to reach out and slap me in the face.

Oh, and here's the handywork of the NaNo virus, just do you get the idea:

pAEVDvk.png

I didn't even notice the accent. At least I can't stream; no one would understand me.

I see your NaN* thing now! Is it like when you get too far, distances can't be displayed properly? With a brand new savegame with no tech whatsoever, that I don't even play off-stream, don't worry, that shouldn't happen anytime soon XD

That okay if you get technical, I'm relatively new to KSP, but I'm able to follow a technical conversation about those things! If I ever get confused I'll simply ask for clarifications! ;)

*edit: ohh now I understand! I was reading on the wiki pages of KSP and stumbled on that NaN thingy. I'm under the impression this is a bug that doesn't quite happen anymore, does it?

Edited by Thunder_86

It happens to me whenever one of my orbital parameters hits an issue that causes it to divide by 0. I usually look the the persistence, and bam!

INC = NaN, LAN = NaN, SMA = NaN.

I'm not too sure what causes it for other people, but all I know is F9 is not the way to go in this case.

Since it's a random phenomenon, it likely wont occur twice in a row, so it is possible to restore your orbital parameters to a launching configuration. Relaunching from the hangars may also work. Quicksaving reads out cause and effect based on initial conditions.

It wont destroy any save files; they're not too hard to fix, but it can be a pain sometimes. I give ye a tip: Don't build something that weighs over 100T and has over 400 parts. In fact, don't be as crazy as me and you should be good.

haha yeah well when I'm bored I go to sandbox and build stupid stuff, just like you've seen yesterday when you tuned in XD

but in carreer mode I try to be more... conservative. Big rockets are super expensive, and usually fly like crap!

R.I.P. Jeb. I played my other carrer yesterday, figured I'd take a break from launching probes, so I sent Jeb on a mission over Minmus. I completely forgot the heat shield. He died. Poor Jeb...

Or actually he didn't die... yet. I TRIED to bring him back to safety, I fired my engine retrograde to try to slow him down enoough to fire my chutes, but failed. so I Alt-F4 ragequit right before he touched ground. I don't know where the game will put me next time I load it but I doubt there is actually a way to get back to safety... There MIGHT be a way to fire my engine just a tad less, while I'm up there, hope the ship doesn't overhead to much, and fire them again before I try the chutes, but the engine I have is the Terrier... awesome engine in space, but sucks in atmosphere...

I really doubt there is a way to save him :'(

Edited by Thunder_86

Miss Duna? I'm not trying to reach it, and I don't have enough Delta V on that ship to reach it anyway. barely have enough to get tu Minmus.

I just realized tho that I could just send a rescue probe to help Jeb. Thats if the alt-F4 help me get back to the point where I was still in space. Cause when I rage quit, I was litterally 100m above ground, with no chute, no fuel, no nothing lol. The rescue probe would easily save him if he's still in orbit.

dude you are getting all the bugs!

The only bug that happens to me over and over again is being unable to set maneuvers anymore. Can't click on my orbit to make one. I usually just have to go back to space station, and then back to my rocket. I think this is what makes my flights un-revertable tho. Thats why Jeb is in such a precary solution at the moment in my game XD

Yeah, it's kinda permanent. There's nothing I can do about [i've tried everything]

That stupid maneuver node thing used to happen to me all the time to. Mostly in .9. Quicksave, reload, try again, once more, go get a bag of chips, and proceed to lose 10 minutes.